I genuinely don't care about the overwatch league

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
I'm hyped for the OWL. The teams they have formed are interesting, and the idea of localizing them, and having Home/Away events is the next big step in the rest of the world taking esports seriously.
So I completely understand why Blizzard is going as hard as they are with it, and I fully support it.
Though I also understand the frustration with the state of the game as it is, and it's easy to say that had the resources been delegated elsewhere the game would be in a better place, and you wouldn't have as much anger from the fanbase.

Blizzard have backed themselves into a corner here, and if the OWL fails, the game may be dead in a couple years time.

I also pray that once the league is up and running, the Competitive ladder, the toxicity problem, throwers, leavers, trolls, the reporting system, the hero balance issues, the bugs, and everything all get Blizzard's undivided attention.
I do care about OW League. I want it to succeed.
Not because Blizzard can make more money or some bs illuminati/anticapitalist things trendy to say right now.
Just because I like this game. Since they harmonize team colors for the World Cup I like watching esport (much easier to follow what's happening in the game) and because I found OW is currently the best game to mix skill and teamplay right now.
The timing is just really, really bad, IMO.

OWL is supposed to make the Krusher99 meme dream into reality.
Meanwhile the competitive system is a mess, more and more people are starting to hate it and the toxicity grows everywhere you look.

It's just funny how people are pumping millions of dollars into a system while the core part of the game is flawed. It'd not call it a scam yet because it's still very much playable but it's surpassed the point of worry.

As for me.. I only watch the more known streamers play but I'm not going to stay awake to watch my "favorite" team play. If I'm behind the PC and it happens to be on, sure I will watch.
This is the only community that actively wants their eSport scene to fail, it's so sad.
Owl is and will be a failure.
12/05/2017 01:53 AMPosted by Boiǃ
This is the only community that actively wants their eSport scene to fail, it's so sad.

Because it was shoved onto us. I've heard that fan-made tournaments were shut down by Blizzard, dunno how true that is...

But really, forcing eSports like this, when the game's barely more than a year old, is just arrogance. They should have let the eSports scene grow organically, fix up their game first. It's rather embarrassing to see how desperate they are for OWL to succeed, because when it fails, eSports as a whole will most likely die, too, since investors won't want to take such risks ever again.

That's a worst case scenario, but one I see happening. Shoving eSports in our faces was a bad idea from the start, but I see Blizz has a fondness for bad ideas.
I don't care for the OWL and I probably won't watch it. But I think it's probably good for the game as it will inspire new players to join and it will ensure that the game sticks around for longer.
People nowadays :

Politicians are idiots -> keep voting
Polution will kill us -> don’t separate waste
Finance is the reason why poor are poorer and rich are richer -> keep saving his money in the most suspicious bank
People are stupid -> keep watching reality shows
Our culture is dying -> Keep downloading illegally and eat fast food

And of course those saying Overwatch is bad, Blizzard is a capitalist bs and esport won’t succeed are still playing the game and even here on forums.
What a joke.
Overwatch becoming an e-sport will secure the sustain of the game throughout the years.

I think why you and others don't care it's because the game is relatively young and different from other games that grew more organically in the e-sports scene, Blizzard just chose to put A LOT of money into it and skyrocketed it.

Obviously for now we would like for more attention to be put in the actual game and not in the e-sports stuff, but then again it's Blizzard, they know what they are doing.

The game is in a stable state, I think. Probably the matchmaking system with all it's components is the biggest problem right now but as we've seen with the right feedback they will listen and work on it.
Even if I did, I woudl be scared to show any support for it because if it succeed, it will be pushed even further and it will be on the cost of having less content related to the game itself and I care more about the game first.
12/04/2017 06:35 PMPosted by AMERICAN
I honestly couldn't care less if the league does well or not. Actually as someone who doesn't watch overwatch esports anymore I think the game itself would be in a better state had the time, money, manpower, and all the other resources that went into the league were instead put into the game. So much has been spent on getting this gamble up and running and the game has clearly suffered from it.

Bugs that shouldn't have made it past PTR patches have gone months unfixed, the past two events have been lackluster skin wise, and the lore development has been slower than ever. I used to wonder where the effort was going considering that the last two events have been recycled and hardly improved and have consisted of 1/3 less skins, but its clear that Blizzard is more focused on starting their potential money maker. They'd rather charge us up the [removed] for these generic league skins for these teams no one has any allegiance to instead of improving the game at a faster pace.

I used to enjoy overwatch esports but then they cut us off for over a year and the hype just died down. Does anyone even care about OWL?

Edited for language - Forum Moderator

This, and with pityful excuse they call pro players with there horrid mentality and terrible influence on gulliable minds they really think people should be interested in those people when they are the detriment of this game and the awful hero bias and bigotry that comes with it? Ha good luck with that and good luck trying to form a positive community with those (Insert british deogratory here) being who people look up to, what a joke that is, ill never have any interest until we get some positive influences and players being the majority in the scene, im usually interested in Esports, but not for overwatch.
12/04/2017 11:51 PMPosted by Cakewalk
12/04/2017 06:56 PMPosted by Quest
Downvoted because you're a liar.

If you couldn't care less than you wouldn't write a 3 paragraph post about it. Clearly you are able to care less, and if that's how you feel I suggest you do.

As for me I am looking forward to OWL :)

He cared about it because OWL drained the manpower that could've used to improve this game even more, including bug fixing, balancing, more new heroes, new modes, new maps, etc.
How has it drained the manpower that could have been used to make new casual content? Same amount of new heros and maps at blizzcon, new heros have been coming out at same speed, balance changes are s slow as they have always been, this has had virtually no negative effect on u.
12/05/2017 02:51 AMPosted by HANA
Even if I did, I woudl be scared to show any support for it because if it succeed, it will be pushed even further and it will be on the cost of having less content related to the game itself and I care more about the game first.
Not sure how it has "cut content" for the last few months
12/05/2017 01:58 AMPosted by fayescarlet
12/05/2017 01:53 AMPosted by Boiǃ

Because it was shoved onto us. I've heard that fan-made tournaments were shut down by Blizzard, dunno how true that is...

But really, forcing eSports like this, when the game's barely more than a year old, is just arrogance. They should have let the eSports scene grow organically, fix up their game first. It's rather embarrassing to see how desperate they are for OWL to succeed, because when it fails, eSports as a whole will most likely die, too, since investors won't want to take such risks ever again.

That's a worst case scenario, but one I see happening. Shoving eSports in our faces was a bad idea from the start, but I see Blizz has a fondness for bad ideas.

They don't have time for this, they need money, and they need it now. And it's not about actual success - it's about showing any result as success.

12/05/2017 02:04 AMPosted by Qwazi
I don't care for the OWL and I probably won't watch it. But I think it's probably good for the game as it will inspire new players to join and it will ensure that the game sticks around for longer.

Those players will mimic their favorite pro players, and we will see even more toxicity, since most of Overwatch isn't pro teams.
12/05/2017 02:15 AMPosted by Senomar
People nowadays :

Politicians are idiots -> keep voting
Polution will kill us -> don’t separate waste
Finance is the reason why poor are poorer and rich are richer -> keep saving his money in the most suspicious bank
People are stupid -> keep watching reality shows
Our culture is dying -> Keep downloading illegally and eat fast food

And of course those saying Overwatch is bad, Blizzard is a capitalist bs and esport won’t succeed are still playing the game and even here on forums.
What a joke.

Downvoted for the dig at torrenting and Chipotle.
12/05/2017 03:38 AMPosted by Spooder
12/04/2017 11:51 PMPosted by Cakewalk

He cared about it because OWL drained the manpower that could've used to improve this game even more, including bug fixing, balancing, more new heroes, new modes, new maps, etc.
How has it drained the manpower that could have been used to make new casual content? Same amount of new heros and maps at blizzcon, new heros have been coming out at same speed, balance changes are s slow as they have always been, this has had virtually no negative effect on u.
you realize in the play nice play fair video they say development was slowed because of the report system and two weeks later reveal a crap ton of Esports stuff

I wonder what was actually holding up development
E-sports probably has far less impact on development and bug fixes than you think.

You could argue that the money invested into Overwatch could have been invested into the game itself, but in terms of manpower it makes little difference. It's not like the guys they've hired to set up OWL can be called in to code bugfixes or do graphic design on skins.

And while the Overwatch team probably could use more people on deck for these things, it's not like it isn't happening. Jeff has made no secret about the fact that the Overwatch team is looking for more hires, and constantly spams the link to the Blizzard job application site on the forums.

The only thing that could have truly slowed down the pace of development was shifting resources to build improved spectating tools, which is something I would have wanted anyways eventually even if OWL wasn't a thing.
12/04/2017 06:58 PMPosted by Lucky
The majority doesn't care about esports tbh. Even the majority of gamers. I think Blizzard just saw how much money can be in it from watching league sell out stadiums and crap that they wanted to get in too.

The game is good, but it has suffered from rampant bugs for every character which is really odd if you want to have an esport... I mean a match could be lost b/c of a bug and how will that look from the outside? Terrible is how. They aren't focused on things like that though, they're building event centers and getting teams and marketing, and funding it with buy ins and making things for events ppl will buy lootboxes for. Basically, someone wants all their money back after spending millions on Titan or wtv their MMO successor was going to be for WoW I guess.

I agree. I find it as if they are bribing us by saying "312 new skins that are just recolors!" and then have us pay real money for that in order to support their OWL. If they have to bribe us like that in order for us to want to actually have some way of showing our care, and nobody wants to put in money or time for merch the way other big leagues do it (NFL, NBA etc.) then that right there shows you that a lot of players could care less and that they are just hungry for a cash grab.

I seriously wish they would use that money to hire more people to fix the issues we have within the game first. How do you hold a league with characters that aren't even 100% and have many bugs and issues? It's literally holding a tourny for half a game.
same here. so many bugs across all the heroes and they need months to fix them. so little balance and just a handful of viable heroes.

i never thought of ow as a compettetive esports game. and it never will be. people laugh at ow esports and theyre right to do so
I don't like it much because I would rather be playing it myself, not watching other people play it. This is just my opinion. I don't really care for esports because it really has nothing to do with my experience with the game. I wish they put all those resources into the game it self.

I think it was a little to soon for esports because they are still working on balancing the game. They probably will be balancing the game forever, but it makes no sense to have a professional esports centered around learning a character, that could be reworked in an instant.