I genuinely don't care about the overwatch league

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
When you get a leaver or troll every-other game it is hard to watch "the pros". they have teams lined up ready to go while we are all dying here in solo q
My only disappointment is the whole OWL skins thing, I care less to “represent me favorite team” as I do having a good looking basic recolor for my favorite hero.

I respect the OWL and the people who absolutely love it, hell I’ll even tune in sometimes, I understand it but I don’t like the whole paywall for the skins.
Personally I do want tournaments to succeed,
but the timing for current OWL is not very good IMHO.

Not supporting OWL now does not mean we want Overwatch to fail,
I mean, what will we gain if OW indeed failed anyway?

OW is a great game, but it still has many unsolved issues,
the lack of diversity in game just make this game relatively boring,
since there are only a handful of working strategies available.

This is just like you release StarCraft II with terran race only.
It can still be fun to watch, but compared to current state, it just feels something is lacking.

I know Chinese OW is isolated from the rest of the world, and because Bliz has set a very high barrier of entry on entering OWL (rumor says $20M to buy a spot for one team, while all other unofficial tournaments can only have a maximum prize pool of 1k USD, which is way too harsh.

And this is why three major OW leages disbanded in China just last week alone, because the best OW league in China cannot cover their cost to maintain their OW subdivision.

Because Chinese server is isolated from other regions, you do not hear such news that often here, but it is a hot topic in Chinese region for quite a few days already.
12/05/2017 07:11 AMPosted by fukdot
When you get a leaver or troll every-other game it is hard to watch "the pros". they have teams lined up ready to go while we are all dying here in solo q

Exactly this. When you get that in your own comp games, it's hard to even care about skins, events, sports casters, technology, videos, pros or teams you could care less about. The entire thing feels cheap and comes off as an XFL product.
I agree with you on everything except the “lackluster skins” on the past 2 events. The skins we got this year have been amazing. Look at Cultist Zenyatta or Dragon Symmetra, they rose the bar on what a Legendary skin deserves to be in this game.
Like many said, I want OWL to succeed. It can only make Overwatch better. However, imo the hero pool is still too small, so watching the matches with always the same meta comps gets boring quickly.
12/04/2017 06:35 PMPosted by AMERICAN
I think the game itself would be in a better state had the time, money, manpower, and all the other resources that went into the league were instead put into the game. So much has been spent on getting this gamble up and running and the game has clearly suffered from it.

As someone working on a tech company, I can say to you: just throwing more money and people doesn't speed up a delivery. In fact, after a certain number (change from project to project), it can delay deliveries.
So, it's not that simple.
12/05/2017 07:31 AMPosted by Vacunation
Like many said, I want OWL to succeed. It can only make Overwatch better. However, imo the hero pool is still too small, so watching the matches with always the same meta comps gets boring quickly.

Good thing I am not the only one feeling this
12/05/2017 07:11 AMPosted by fukdot

You do realize the pros that plays on the ladder gets trolls, throwers, leavers but it happens less cause they're in t500 with the other OWL Pros that came from Korea etc t500 leaderboard seems stacked right now feels bad for the normal people on there.
True. +1
Waste of time and resources focusing on eSports instead on the actual game itself.
Wow, if OWL fails the result will be catastrophic to the game, there will be no more cinematic shorts with polish and quality like the previous shorts, just look at heroes of the storm.

This community is really weird, most other game community support the competitive scene, without any competitive scene this game will die out really fast.
12/05/2017 07:35 AMPosted by Estranhow
12/04/2017 06:35 PMPosted by AMERICAN
I think the game itself would be in a better state had the time, money, manpower, and all the other resources that went into the league were instead put into the game. So much has been spent on getting this gamble up and running and the game has clearly suffered from it.

As someone working on a tech company, I can say to you: just throwing more money and people doesn't speed up a delivery. In fact, after a certain number (change from project to project), it can delay deliveries.
So, it's not that simple.
It’s funny because “throwing money at it” is how Blizzard usually does esports
12/05/2017 08:13 AMPosted by Josteen
Wow, if OWL fails the result will be catastrophic to the game, there will be no more cinematic shorts with polish and quality like the previous shorts, just look at heroes of the storm.

This community is really weird, most other game community support the competitive scene, without any competitive scene this game will die out really fast.

Cinematic shorts have zero value for OWL. Only things that matter for OWL are how interesting it is to watch game and spectator's UI being easy to use.

Competitive players usually are last to abandon dying game, after all. And by this logic, focus on esports means that Blizzard is uncertain if Overwatch even has a future, and tries to rise money while game is still alive.
I think their Eleague stuff is overkill. The open league, the Overwatch league, World Cup. There's so many non Blizzard leagues going on to. I don't think it's going to catch as well as they think it is and they're really just going to put their resources into the leagues and eventually the actual customer base is going to move to the next big game. For example PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Focus on the game first, league 2nd.
Don't you remember? The real reason they can't properly develope the game is because we won't play nice, and they have to put aaaaaall their resources into dealing with toxicity and the reporting system.

:^)

.... And I'd like to point out how little progress has been made on that front, considering the amount of time that has passed.
12/04/2017 06:57 PMPosted by Ironhide
Not many people do lol.

I feel bad for these people on "Pro Teams" who are sitting at someones home as a "training facility" practicing for what may or may not be a multi million dollar league which still has shown no sign of actually working or not.

Blizzard has to make Overwatch fun first to watch.

It is
12/05/2017 07:31 AMPosted by Vacunation
Like many said, I want OWL to succeed. It can only make Overwatch better.

That's not necessarily true. That just might encourage diverting even more resources into pros and OWL for even more $$$ if it succeeds. Hard to say. But there ARE results other than only making overwatch better if OWL does well.
DALLAS FUEL!!!!! LEZZGO!!!!
I'm with you. I've never cared about "esport", and frankly I think the entire concept is ridiculous.

Not just for this, but for ANYTHING. I also play Injustice 2 - but the "pros" are completely irrelevant to me. I don't care about tournaments, and Twitch streams, and all that.

I just want to play a game that's fun to play.
Seriously idek how they have an owl if this game is so unbalanced, full of bugs, heroes are getting stupid nerfs, buffs & ridiculous reworks. They really should’ve worked on fixing their game first... I’m not interested in the slightest. Yaaaawwwwn fix your game blizzzz!!! lmao wishing you guys were like riot games. Y’all wish :\ hey but whoever eats this stuff up & wants to spend money on it... that’s awesome for you :) no sarcasm attached lol