I genuinely don't care about the overwatch league

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
12/04/2017 06:35 PMPosted by AMERICAN
I honestly couldn't care less if the league does well or not. Actually as someone who doesn't watch overwatch esports anymore I think the game itself would be in a better state had the time, money, manpower, and all the other resources that went into the league were instead put into the game. So much has been spent on getting this gamble up and running and the game has clearly suffered from it.

Bugs that shouldn't have made it past PTR patches have gone months unfixed, the past two events have been lackluster skin wise, and the lore development has been slower than ever. I used to wonder where the effort was going considering that the last two events have been recycled and hardly improved and have consisted of 1/3 less skins, but its clear that Blizzard is more focused on starting their potential money maker. They'd rather charge us up the [removed] for these generic league skins for these teams no one has any allegiance to instead of improving the game at a faster pace.

I used to enjoy overwatch esports but then they cut us off for over a year and the hype just died down. Does anyone even care about OWL?

Edited for language - Forum Moderator

Word crime alert...if you couldn't care less, it means you still care.
What's your purpose in making your post? Just a jerk throwing shade? Yes, I think that's it. If you don't like something, then don't participate in said something.
Many players DO care...and, since it's an opinion thing, ragging on people for liking/caring about OWL is ludicrous, especially when your post was full of profanity that the mods had to take care of because you lack self-control.

tl;dr let people enjoy things.
12/04/2017 06:56 PMPosted by Quest
Downvoted because you're a liar.

If you couldn't care less than you wouldn't write a 3 paragraph post about it. Clearly you are able to care less, and if that's how you feel I suggest you do.

As for me I am looking forward to OWL :)

Clearly, he cares about the game, and the perceived negative impact OWL is having on it.

It's like not caring about garbage reality TV shows, but still being annoyed when your favourite program gets displaced by one.
I hope they can make it work, but I'm seeing decisions made that are counterproductive to that.

Killing the independent tournament circuit wasn't a good step. You've lost your development system for the next wave of pros.

Lack of advertising or hype. You have to go to a subreddit to find out what's going on. Where's the advertisements on youtube? Sponsered streams? Even a forum area would be something.

Enforced meta. Want to join OWL one day? Don't play nonmeta heroes. Because you will get banned.
I don't care about the league.

but I do care about that London Spitfire Ana skin.
I believe "esports" is slowly (not slowly?) ruining online multiplayer video games. But it is a way to get advertisers involved in video games, while in-game ads would be a tough sell. So here we are.
12/05/2017 01:05 PMPosted by Eric
I believe "esports" is slowly (not slowly?) ruining online multiplayer video games. But it is a way to get advertisers involved in video games, while in-game ads would be a tough sell. So here we are.

I remember the Battlefield 2042 debacle over that.

Though, I'm of two minds - don't you hate when a character in a movie lifts a can of Beer brand beer? Takes you right out of the fiction and back to reality. So on at least one hand, running across a Pepsi billboard in a modern-times setting game isn't some immersion-breaking thing.
12/04/2017 06:56 PMPosted by Steveck
The halloween event had luckluster skins? I don't think so.

No the Halloween event itself was lackluster. The skins were fine but we got much less than last year.
12/05/2017 12:17 AMPosted by Zyax
So what will you do when it's successful?

if its successful
12/05/2017 07:35 AMPosted by Estranhow
As someone working on a tech company, I can say to you: just throwing more money and people doesn't speed up a delivery. In fact, after a certain number (change from project to project), it can delay deliveries.
So, it's not that simple.

If they were already maxed out on efficiency then I'd agree with you but that's clearly not the case.
12/05/2017 07:29 AMPosted by ImNotBrad
I agree with you on everything except the “lackluster skins” on the past 2 events. The skins we got this year have been amazing. Look at Cultist Zenyatta or Dragon Symmetra, they rose the bar on what a Legendary skin deserves to be in this game.

Yea I poorly worded that. I meant to say that the last 2 events and the number of skins were lackluster. The skins were mostly good just like last year, only we got 1/3 less in total. The skins were the only redeeming parts of the last 2 events. The quality was there, not the quantity.

Now I know the reason, they were too busy puking out 300+ ugly af "skins" that they want to charge us for instead of focusing on event skins.

Also, as awesome as the Sym skin was they didn't even make the turrets or tele match the skin quality.
The only esports I've followed are SC2's back in 2012 and 2013. BW is watchable as well. During blizzcon I'd take a look at WoW arena but didn't follow it.

Never cared about OW's. Not a very watchable game.

12/05/2017 01:05 PMPosted by Eric
I believe "esports" is slowly (not slowly?) ruining online multiplayer video games.

Idk how widespread this is, but there are certainly games where the devs care/cared more about esports/viewership than the players.
*ahem*
many of the coolest moments in StarCraft II come from worker harassment.
I didn't know there was an Overwatch League until I watched a youtube video about the new skins.
12/05/2017 06:54 PMPosted by AMERICAN
12/05/2017 07:29 AMPosted by ImNotBrad
I agree with you on everything except the “lackluster skins” on the past 2 events. The skins we got this year have been amazing. Look at Cultist Zenyatta or Dragon Symmetra, they rose the bar on what a Legendary skin deserves to be in this game.

Yea I poorly worded that. I meant to say that the last 2 events and the number of skins were lackluster. The skins were mostly good just like last year, only we got 1/3 less in total. The skins were the only redeeming parts of the last 2 events. The quality was there, not the quantity.

Now I know the reason, they were too busy puking out 300+ ugly af "skins" that they want to charge us for instead of focusing on event skins.

Also, as awesome as the Sym skin was they didn't even make the turrets or tele match the skin quality.
So what about the people who do care about the OW skins and who haven't cared about the event skins or pve content.
12/04/2017 06:37 PMPosted by Kyaw
You can look over to the subreddits and see for yourself.

reddit is for normies

Edit: one normie disliked
Personally, while I'm not really a fan of Pro Play, I guess I'll be looking into OWL occasionally for the tricks that people on the highest level do with their characters.

The state of OW, at the moment, is pretty jagged. Lots of bugs, lots of internal strife in the community, but if OWL succeeds, maybe we'll see a lot of new content in the future.
12/05/2017 07:49 PMPosted by AssassinToki
Personally, while I'm not really a fan of Pro Play, I guess I'll be looking into OWL occasionally for the tricks that people on the highest level do with their characters.

The state of OW, at the moment, is pretty jagged. Lots of bugs, lots of internal strife in the community, but if OWL succeeds, maybe we'll see a lot of new content in the future.
no, I feel if owl succeeds we’d see more Esports, not in game stuff
12/05/2017 07:58 PMPosted by TheReinhardt
12/05/2017 07:49 PMPosted by AssassinToki

no, I feel if owl succeeds we’d see more Esports, not in game stuff

Why does this feel like a lose-lose for us people just wanting some extra content?
12/05/2017 01:53 AMPosted by Boiǃ
This is the only community that actively wants their eSport scene to fail, it's so sad.

Well, this entire scene has been artificial. Most Esports grew out of grassroots comp play and tourneys.

Also, if the Bread and Circus complex known as Sports Media, is making the game I bought and paid for less enjoyable, I am rightfully going to complain.

I've been lowkey against esports development for a while, because balancing around pros and putting man hours into making the teams have cool colors and arenas, means less work into making the game good, and making the average player have to work overtime to become even decent because "git gud".
Because blizzard is selling overwatch as an "esports title" to the investors in order to get them to fund the game.

And now those investors are wondering where is this Dota2/LoL level of competitive tournament blizzard promised them before.

I think this was always the plan from the get go, the first year was focused into making the annual event and now for the second year and the next they are focusing on developing the pro scene while recycling last year events.

If the r/ow reddit represents the overall community, no one really cares too much about comp, serious balance or even esports. We're just here to play some qp casually because we like the characters and wanna make cool fan art and make memes

And ill be honest, theres nothing wrong with that at all. Its almost like a place where overwatch was at launch. Lotsa fun and screwing around, less salt.
12/05/2017 08:12 PMPosted by AssassinToki
<span class="truncated">...</span>no, I feel if owl succeeds we’d see more Esports, not in game stuff

Why does this feel like a lose-lose for us people just wanting some extra content?
Because Blizzard seems to have turned their full attention towards Esports.

They have our money, now they want those dank sponsorships
12/05/2017 08:39 PMPosted by BillClinton

If the r/ow reddit represents the overall community, no one really cares too much about comp, serious balance or even esports. We're just here to play some qp casually because we like the characters and wanna make cool fan art and make memes

And ill be honest, theres nothing wrong with that at all. Its almost like a place where overwatch was at launch. Lotsa fun and screwing around, less salt.
the problem with r/Overwatch is that there’s no negativity or criticism allowed, and deviation from the norm is punished. It’s an unironic r/Pyongyang