Please Improve Visibility on Sombra's Hack Targets.

General Discussion
I play a lot of Sombra lately, and I believe she's really in need of a quality of life change: make hacked targets more visible.

Reasoning

1. It is challenging to tell if an enemy is hacked. There is a faint red pattern on top of the enemy's already red outline. When I use EMP, I have to look at the enemy hacked fire amount to even get an idea of how many enemies were in my EMP radius.

2. Low visibility discourages teammates from following up. If it is this difficult for me as a Sombra player to tell who is hacked, then how can I expect my teammates to know and follow up? Sombra's kit relies on making plays with the team, but the lack of visibility on her hack really hinders this.

3. It is nearly impossible to see a hack on a Nano-boosted target. It is extremely difficult to tell if a glowing red enemy has the hacked pattern on them. I've had instances where I've used EMP and then had to manually hack the nanoed enemy because I couldn't tell whether they were hacked or could still use ult.

4. Red colored hack goes against the games convention regarding allied and enemy abilities. A friendly Sombra's hack on an enemy, which is a beneficial effect for you, appears red--a color generally reserved for enemy effects. (Thanks ParanoiDrone for pointing this out).

5. It is difficult for teammates to see Sombra's impact during the game. Unfortunately, some people still regard Sombra as a "troll pick." Part of the reason for this is the lack of visual effect she has on the battleground. A Sombra could be getting key hacks in, but the teammates don't see these, don't follow up, and therefore think the Sombra is being useless. Improved visibility will create better awareness of Sombra's effect on the game.

6. Improved visibility enhances the spectator experience for pro play. There have been great strides in UI features recently with the spectator mode. However, there have been no changes in hacked target visibility since Sombra's release. Improving this would help everyone. Sombra's team could focus the hacked enemies. The enemy team could protect their hacked teammates. Spectators and commentators could recognize huge EMPs.

Video Examples
  • Red hack pattern on red enemy Roadhog: https://youtu.be/XDTQHX8HO4k
  • Unable to see EMP hack at all on nano-boosted Genji: https://youtu.be/iy_U8NQwiIg
  • Red on red on red - hack on enemies with biotic field: https://youtu.be/ESCvpW90b7c

Suggestions
  • Change the color of the hack pattern. Please do this at the very least. This would be the simplest change that could help tremendously. Changing it to a color like purple would stand out from the red enemy outline and their abilities.
  • Add a sugar skull icon above hacked targets. This would make it even easier to identify hacked targets. It could help the enemies too, as they would be able to easily see and protect their hacked teammates.
  • Have the sugar skull act as a timer using the same functionality from Uprising. We have already seen sugar skull timers on enemies before during the Uprising PVE mode! (https://youtu.be/DaivNfA8UA8). It showed on the null sector enemies, including standard heroes like Orisa and Bastion, during a regular hack and EMP. Since it's already been coded and used before, can this functionality be reused in the standard game? If we could get these in purple, it would be a tremendous QoL change!

Update 1/26: Jeff mentioned today that the dev team has been talking about changes to Sombra (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760907706#post-7). I really am hoping that hack visibility is one of those changes. If not, I'm hoping this post makes them consider hack visibility as part of her changes :)
Agree, teammates should know which enemies are hacked. Red glowing is hard to see in fast teamfights.
A lot of little stuff could be done to help Sombra :

Better indicators of hacked targets.

Health packs visible through the walls for the whole team.

Having a minimum damage limit before stoping her hack of a target (really just a bruise can stop it, change this please !)

... and other stuff like that yeah !
This would honestly make Sombra look less like a troll pick. She requires a lot of team coordination which isn't bad persay, but it's really difficult to see which one of her targets is hacked or not.
Waiting for this since months... still hoping they change the visual effects soon by recoloring it or adding a skull above hacked enemies or whatever.
Please make it more visible!
Seconded. Hacked enemies should:

* Glow purple instead of red.
* Have Sombra's sugar skull icon over their head as a timer.
* Glow more vibrantly in general.

Seriously. A red glow on red-outlined enemies is really hard to see sometimes. Purple stands out more.

In addition, the fact that a friendly Sombra's hack on an enemy (a beneficial effect for you) is red (a color generally reserved for enemy effects) contradicts the game's convention regarding allied/enemy abilities.
11/20/2017 07:38 AMPosted by Triskan

Health packs visible through the walls for the whole team.

This has been in the game for quite some time now
I'd like to have hacked enemies be visible through walls. But not the enemy per say, just like a purple sombra icon above their heads. For the teammates to see. Or heck just for sombra to see idk...
11/20/2017 07:41 AMPosted by BubbleQuartz
This would honestly make Sombra look less like a troll pick. She requires a lot of team coordination which isn't bad persay, but it's really difficult to see which one of her targets is hacked or not.
I agree. I have games where I hack so many key enemy targets but my team doesn't capitalize on them because they can't easily tell they're hacked. If teammates were able to see a Sombra constantly hacking the enemy team and pushing out big EMPs, I think it would help her reputation and effectiveness.
Boop
11/20/2017 08:04 AMPosted by ParanoiDrone

Seriously. A red glow on red-outlined enemies is really hard to see sometimes. Purple stands out more.

In addition, the fact that a friendly Sombra's hack on an enemy (a beneficial effect for you) is red (a color generally reserved for enemy effects) contradicts the game's convention regarding allied/enemy abilities.
So true. I had a game recently where there was so much red on the screen from enemy outlines and the enemy Soldier's biotic field that I couldn't tell easily who was EMP'd or when the hack was finished on them. I recorded that clip here to really show how difficult it is to distinguish: https://youtu.be/ESCvpW90b7c

Hacked enemies should glow purple instead of red at the very least. I do love your suggestion of a sugar skull timer as well.
11/20/2017 08:04 AMPosted by ParanoiDrone

Completely agree with all of it
I've reformatted the original post to make it clear and easy to read. I also added some ideas from others' posts so far.
I checked the PTR patch that came out yesterday, and it unfortunately had no hack visibility changes. But Doomfist was updated based on player feedback, so I'm hoping for the same here. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas!
Good news: it seems like the dev team is talking about potential changes to Sombra (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760907706#post-7)! I really want to make sure that hack visibility is something they're discussing.

I saw on Reddit a little while ago that sugar skull timers on enemies have actually been used in the game before! Back during the Uprising event, the PVE mode had these when Sombra used hack or EMP. I looked at my old vidoes, and sure enough, they're there! (https://youtu.be/DaivNfA8UA8). I would love to see these in purple in the regular game!