Why i disagree with the Moira nerf

PTR Feedback
While i see a lot of people upset about the nerf most of the posts don't seem to be going over why they feel that way so I thought id add my two sense.

The point of moira's playstyle, at least for me, is balance. She needs to do damage and heal constantly to ensure that she can continue to effectively heal her team. As such an effective moira should have similar dps and hps in a game, never favoring one side or the other.

As such her initial design allows not for a heavy dps character, as her right click only does 55 dps, but for a consistent dps. Her orbs then amplify this by increasing her overall dps and hps depending on how skilled the player is with judging for ricochets. Her most powerful ability by far is her quick dash which greatly increases her survivability, and thus ger overall effectiveness.

Now since her design centers on consistent dps instead of strong dps moira has an immediate problem with just about any tank as she just doesnt put out enough dps to be a problem for them. Instead ger type of dps becomes useful in team shot moments allowing your team an advantage and helps them to win fights more easily as any support should.

This brings us to my problem with her beam nerf. This massive change to her right clicks lock on greatly diminishes her ability for consistent dps, and this in turn hurts how the player balances between damage and healing. This then limits her effectiveness as a support, and hampers her sustainability as well.

Moira is a complicated character with a complex design that is in of itself very fragile. Since everything she does effects her entire kit any big changes can throw her completely out of whack. Now while i disagree that moira needs to be nerfed at all, I can understand that the developer often has a better overall view then the player. As such, if a nerf is truly necessary, I would make a suggestion for a different way to nerf her without upsetting her balance play style.

If instead of accuracy you lessened the damage of her right click and damage ball, from 55 to 45-50, you would lessen her overall dps and her ability to kill many of the characters in one on one engagements. But this would not effect her ability for consistent dps which i feel is so integral to her balance play style.

If the current changes go through to the main game i feel that this new character, which i have greatly enjoyed, will become too unreliable to effectively damage her enemies and in turn effectively heal her teammates. In affect leaving her as an unwanted pick when against other, more consistent, support characters.

Thats my two cents anyways. If im misunderstanding the design philosophy of the character or any other aspect then id invite anyone at blizzard to join in on this discussion so that we all can gain a better understanding of both the character and your aims with her.

I hope this feedback was helpful. Thank you for your time.
11/21/2017 08:10 AMPosted by HoboGeneral
As such an effective moira should hace similar dps and hps in a game, necer favoring one side or the other.

this isn't true because of her healing orb and her HoT as well as her ability to heal in AoE. lately i've been averaging like 4k damage with 13k healing in a 10 minute game and my damage average just keeps going lower while my healing gets higher. the core part of her kit is managing her resource, and she has several ways to do it. her right click damage beam is only one of them and it's the easiest one because of the small lock-on. players with good tracking will hardly be affected by the nerf but players with bad tracking will just have to learn to bounce healing orbs more efficiently and use the HoT as efficiently as possible.
11/21/2017 08:20 AMPosted by ƘILLƔ
11/21/2017 08:10 AMPosted by HoboGeneral
As such an effective moira should hace similar dps and hps in a game, necer favoring one side or the other.

the core part of her kit is managing her resource, and she has several ways to do it.

I wish that were true but right now the resource meter is replenished by RMB only.
If blizzard thinks this is warranted, they could at least give Moira the ability to recharge her healing resource with her ultimate Coalescence.