[SUGGESTION] Let Pharah cancel out of her Rocket Barrage

General Discussion
As a Pharah main, I’ve been caught in situations where I cast my ultimate at what seems to be the perfect time and a split second later, a huge threat like D.Va’s Self-Destruct or McCree’s High Noon comes into my view. Being able to cancel out of my ultimate would be a godsend and I don’t think it’s a huge buff, more of a quality of life change. :)

Clarification Edit: Canceling the ultimate doesn't mean I get back the cost. Remember that starting the cast already removes the entire charge already. I just want to stop the cast (and lose it) completely so I can get to safety. McCree's High Noon has this cancel mechanic already so I don't see an issue here.
It is a huge buff
youre talking to a wall man. Nobody on here cares about pharah's survivability except us pharah mains. The devs don't even care to comment anything either. I've been complaining for 16 months about how barrage needs something to help with her 10% survivability rating.

Being able to cancel early (like mccree got for his ult) would really help for the few times you actually kill your targets and aren't focused by literally anyone who aims at your exact still non-moving head, and are left barraging into open air for 3 more seconds like an idiot. I would much rather have her the ability to move mid-ult slightly (again, like mccree got for his ult). I'd even accept the barrage damage get halved to compensate for these survival buffs
I think this would be OP. Barrage's DPS output is already insane, and that's mitigated by the vulnerability you accept when you decide to ult. This is a good ult and doesn't need help.
I think its should be more of a thing where she can fly up and down on her x and y axis to escape danger while ulting. ( including jump jet)
It’s balanced right now. You need to be sure your positioning is good before you commit, and you will be rewarded. Junkrat doesn’t run into the middle of a fight and use his ult.. neither should pharah
11/21/2017 06:37 PMPosted by Blimgauss
I think this would be OP. Barrage's DPS output is already insane, and that's mitigated by the vulnerability you accept when you decide to ult. This is a good ult and doesn't need help.

I have also complained that barrage does too much damage. The few times you actually have a zarya and combo correctly, you kill everyone then are left barraging for 3 or 4 more seconds at nothing, it's badly designed. It needs less damage and more survivability

If you played pharah for any good amount of time, you would understand what we are saying in here, how bad the survival rate is for pharah's who use barrage. There's a reason her dying midway thru saying justice has been a meme since launch, because it's true. Half of the time I will just not even use barrage during a match unless I corner someone way out of position, because otherwise 9/10 times it's a suicide mission and you have to choose who you are trading your life for beforehand. That is not how an ultimate ability should be, but that's the reality for pharah mains

I have also complained that barrage does too much damage. The few times you actually have a zarya and combo correctly, you kill everyone then are left barraging for 3 or 4 more seconds at nothing, it's badly designed. It needs less damage and more survivability

If you played pharah for any good amount of time, you would understand what we are saying in here, how bad the survival rate is for pharah's who use barrage. There's a reason her dying midway thru saying justice has been a meme since launch, because it's true. Half of the time I will just not even use barrage during a match unless I corner someone way out of position, because otherwise 9/10 times it's a suicide mission and you have to choose who you are trading your life for beforehand. That is not how an ultimate ability should be, but that's the reality for pharah mains

It's a fair trade-off. You have high damage output with it but you're vulnerable.

I'd rather hear from other Pharah mains if they're willing to sacrifice power for mobility. You may or may not be the minority in viewing Pharahs ult the way you do
it's not like nobody else cares about Pharah, it's just that it'd go against the idea of the ultimate. No other ultimate can you pause midway and refund it..if I'm a zarya and my grav gets thrown in a horrible spot i can't just cancel it and get ult charge back, McCree use to with getting his ult back and now they've removed that aspect- the DPS potential of Barrage is incredible and to use it is to understand what you're doing.

If you hit Q or triangle or Y you commit to the damn ultimate and that's that. Plus if you were to cancel barrage so that you can hide from a D.va ult or High Noon what're the chances you actually escape those, seemingly you'd stop the animation and fall down slowly, if you fly you're doing it slowly, you'd still die to like 95% of circumstances in which you think cancelling Barrage would be useful in.
Boo hoo I hard counter half the roster and I die during a high risk high reward ultimate! Buff please!
11/21/2017 06:47 PMPosted by IamAHorse
Boo hoo I hard counter half the roster and I die during a high risk high reward ultimate! Buff please!

range advantage does not equal hard counter. If that's the case, then widow is a hard counter to "half the roster"
11/21/2017 06:51 PMPosted by peregrine
11/21/2017 06:47 PMPosted by IamAHorse

range advantage does not equal hard counter. If that's the case, then widow is a hard counter to "half the roster"
You're pretty much a hard counter to all projectile heavy heroes

Oh man. McCree is gonna be super triggered by this.
lol I used to play Pharah more and yeah outside of perfect set up or sneak attack Barrage is a kill me button. However as said this forum HATES Pharah and fully believes she is this massivly OP character despite having one of the lowest DPS of all offense heroes.

Ironically been playing more Junkrat, and his Ult can no longer be used like it used to with the Ult Nerf. Part of how I used to use it is mine jump in, and kamikaze with it fully expecting to die. However due to Ult nerf now the best thing to do with Junk Ult is run and hide and use it. Funny how they just changed a hero whose Ult worked like that. I fully understand his Ult is very strong when executed right, so is Pharah's, it just kind of narrows the scope HOW you can use it.

The sad truth is about half the heroes have incredibly situational Ults and with this Ult charge nerf a good number, I think around 5-6 are very hard to use due to long start ups.
I find that the best to survive when the ult is to not announce it, fly up as high as possible, and sneak around to the enemy team and unleash it before they notice you. Easier said than done though.
Let her fly around freely while ulting, and be invulnerable, maybe with a 200 percent speed boost, and a deflect just because she really needs it... (sarcasm, in case your really stupid)
11/21/2017 06:29 PMPosted by DigitalChaos
As a Pharah main, I’ve been caught in situations where I cast my ultimate at what seems to be the perfect time and a split second later, a huge threat like D.Va’s Self-Destruct or McCree’s High Noon comes into my view. Being able to cancel out of my ultimate would be a godsend and I don’t think it’s a huge buff, more of a quality of life change. :)
The reason that they put in the instant ult refund is simple. You are the one who pressed triangle. Commit to it, no going back.
As a Pharah main myself I honestly believe that her ultimate ability is fine as it is. The trade-off of going into Barrage is that you become vulnerable, and I can live with that. Honestly, it's not as if Pharah is the only character in the game to be locked into this mode for the duration of her ultimate - Moira's ultimate also locks her fully into that mode, and while she can move around unlike Pharah, she doesn't have her Phase ability either, which essentially means if a D'va bomb lands right next to her, she's bought the farm.

I think there's a reason Pharah largely hasn't been touched by Blizzard, and it's because she is largely fine as she is.
If you use Pharah's ult and a McCree or D.Va counter ults; they outplayed you. They deserve the kill, you deserve to die.

Sorry but that's why it's called 'outplaying'. They saved their ult, waited until you were unable to avoid it, and used it.
11/21/2017 06:30 PMPosted by AngryPill
It is a huge buff
How is this buff? Just becoz Pharah don’t need to be killed like a bot?