Get rid of performance based SR

Competitive Discussion
This is a TEAM GAME. Does Blizzard not understand this? Yeah I died a lot because I'm getting zero heals and dps isn't getting any picks. How the hell is that my fault? I cant keep high energy with Zarya cause once again no heals. Its stupid my SR win or loss is dictated on my team doing their job
looks like you pretty much never pick heals. how is that your fault?
I think the issue with that is you will end up having people go off on their own and focus on kills instead of the team and the objective to try and increase their sr amount
12/07/2017 02:09 PMPosted by Mizzerella
looks like you pretty much never pick heals. how is that your fault?

because I play every other role in the game. bad argument

the point is EVERY MATCH IS DIFFERENT so who cares if I did slightly below average on a hero
12/07/2017 02:06 PMPosted by Tperodactyl
This is a TEAM GAME. Does Blizzard not understand this? Yeah I died a lot because I'm getting zero heals and dps isn't getting any picks. How the hell is that my fault? I cant keep high energy with Zarya cause once again no heals. Its stupid my SR win or loss is dictated on my team doing their job

Thats your problem if your zarya and its not working, simply change.
Actually, what you are asking for will actually making things worse for you.

If the game wants to measure SR on your stats, they will see you keep dying and don't get kills, no time on objective etc, so it will assume you are worse than you actually are. Because you were relying on working with your team in a team game.

So, everyone would chase the easier roles to see SR improvements, creating a race to certain DPS and healer roles, creating unnaturally inflated SR gains for those who work out how to game the system rather than playing to win.

Oh wait. That's how it currently is.
12/07/2017 04:15 PMPosted by CPU

It's not that simple at all, and changing isn't always the answer. might want to read up on that.

I would like a simple SR based on winning or losing in the games. It would stop so much angst in the forums around how SR works.

Anything that promotes team play as well is good.
I agree all that should matter is if you win or lose. How much you healed, how much you blocked, how much damage you did and even how many elims you get means nothing if you lose more than you win.

If you are someone who loses more than you win but you get high stats, you need to derank not sit there being rewarded by stat padding. You need to learn to play better and kill win conditions to hold your rank instead of just lessening the sr you lose or boosting the sr you gain because of individual stats or the community not playing a hero much.

I can get all golds consistently every game if I want just by picking dps and shooting roadhog or tanks. I could do it just for damage and the chance to boost my SR on a win on purpose. But if I go out of my way to kill the mercy twice that can be the difference between making a win and losing. My stats will be lower for flanks like that, my accuracy will be lower taking shots that I might not always hit but shooting for them and ult usage is infinitely more important.

rewarding people for anything but winning is ludicrous - all these people who claim their team is holding them back and take no accountability just because they think their stats are good don't need to be rewarded.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's not that simple at all, and changing isn't always the answer. might want to read up on that.

I'm good, it's pretty clear to me. I don't buy into the whole rigged system, yes, there are variables at play that hinder rank progression, but if people truly are better than there current rank, or "SR", they'd get there.

but more on topic of the post, individual skill is rather important even in a team based game and in his example with Zarya, if it aint working, fix it, probably a better chance on another hero and if that doesn't work, well can't win em all..
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I'm good, it's pretty clear to me. I don't buy into the whole rigged system, yes, there are variables at play that hinder rank progression, but if people truly are better than there current rank, or "SR", they'd get there.

but more on topic of the post, individual skill is rather important even in a team based game and in his example with Zarya, if it aint working, fix it, probably a better chance on another hero and if that doesn't work, well can't win em all..

as he said, everything is different. you can't pinpoint the problem by just one statement of "zarya can't get energy". maybe they have a really god d.va on the other team and zarya is the pick to counter that, in that case, the best option wouldn't be to switch, it would be to communicate, group up, poke for the zarya, and push in with high charge. it could also very well be that there is no healing going on. maybe the healer is in a party with someone and is one of those players who only supports their party members. again, switching something else wouldn't be the go to solution. maybe they need to use a different path of approach to the point, who knows?

I'm not saying that this is the case in this situation, but it goes a lot more in depth than just "x is happening" and automatically answer "switch".

As for the part about performance based SR, no, that's not really that great at all, especially the way they go about it, weighing certain stats and making others near useless. I'll use mercy as an example, they REALLY weigh offensive assists as mercy, yet in a lot of situations especially at lower rank, your teammates just can't kill things all that fast, and more likely than not, will require a lot more healing. so either you have to switch off boost to keep them up (defensive assists are alright, but again, not worth nearly as much) or other times you'll be boosting them waiting for them to get the kill and it just doesn't happen. in yet other situations, there is an enemy in another position than where most of your team is focusing, you call it out, but your team either won't or can't deal with it at the time, so you can boost someone on your team and hope they can engage the other enemy, or you can secure the kill yourself. The thing is, getting a kill as mercy is almost worthless, so although it might help you win the fight and ultimately the game, if you're going for that "performance based" sr, it would have you leave that enemy alive and just continue damage boosting even when it clearly isn't the best option.
12/07/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Jorlan
Actually, what you are asking for will actually making things worse for you.

If the game wants to measure SR on your stats, they will see you keep dying and don't get kills, no time on objective etc, so it will assume you are worse than you actually are. Because you were relying on working with your team in a team game.

So, everyone would chase the easier roles to see SR improvements, creating a race to certain DPS and healer roles, creating unnaturally inflated SR gains for those who work out how to game the system rather than playing to win.

Oh wait. That's how it currently is.

wouldn't happen with a straight W/L.
You know the worst feeling is when the enemy team has ultimates every time you try to push because your dva/roadhog is an idiot and just keeps feeding them 600hp of ult charge
This is a TEAM GAME.... Its stupid my SR win or loss is dictated on my team doing their job

Pretty glaring non-sequitur right there.

Your aim is one I agree with, as it happens - i.e. to reduce the reliance on others in achieving your correct placement in the rankings.

Your proposed method (giving fixed SR for wins and losses), however, works in direct contradiction to that aim.

I really don't think you've thought this through.
I mean, Zarya self-heals half her health. If you're low, go hide somewhere until your shields have recharged.

If your healers never heal you, ask yourself why. Can you see them? They can't heal through walls. Are you in their effective range? Mercy can only fly 30 meters and can only heal 15 meters. Moira and Lucio can only heal in a 10m radius around them. Are they alive? That projected barrier of yours is for more than just getting energy by shielding Reinhardt.

Trust me, healers want to heal you. They know keeping Zarya up at high energy is a win condition. If you're literally never getting healed, there is something seriously wrong with your positioning. You have to fix that before you will climb in the game.
How the hell is that my fault?

Nothing is ever your fault.
I'm not sure I understand your post.

There are 2 ways you can see the current system :

A) It's a bad system because winning/losing is the only thing that matters.
Solution to A : Performance no longer matters. SR gains are only based on match outcome.

B) It's a good system because I shouldn't get punished for landing on the bad team.
Solution to B : It's already the current system.

You can't complain about B but ask for solution to A. It's just mutually exclusive....
If PerformanceStatsMeasured = Wise then PerfSRSystem = Ok
Else
PerfSRSystem = Fail
End if

Its pretty much the only factor that slightly offsets trolls and leavers.

Without it...everyone would slowly derank.