Upcoming Competitive Play Changes for Season 8

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 30 Next
Let's be honest:
-the players that don't switch no matter what, aren't gonna start switching now because of this change.
Yes, at higher levels maybe they will because they not only care about the stats but they actually play their heroes well. But in lower levels, players just don't care... they might be doing horribly with Genji and they will still not swap
So I honestly don't think this will change much, at least for the majority of the player base.
You need to tell us what a competitive player is and forbid the ones who aren't from playing the mode.
While players are still allowed to not talk to the team at all and do what they want no matter whats the comp or if they are even playing well competitive will still suck imo.
I think this is an extremely good and important step in the right direction. And I say that even as someone who is in plat. I am currently struggling raising my SR because I am not getting teams that will cooperate with one another. I am personally performing quite well for where I am at, I think. I don't believe I am a diamond player, so this helps me more or less stick in the loop as someone who is with players who are obviously not 100% comfortable on their hero's (not that I am). It keeps me from dropping too much SR for unexpected and disappointing losses. It's still rather disappointing playing in the lower tiers. Smurfs, throwers, leavers, people who are honestly just bad... The abundance of them is unavoidable. So despite trying extremely hard to improve and play with players at my own skill level.. I continue to lose my games slowly dropping down to gold. (Now in gold). Personally I think the best way to improve is to be surrounded by others who play at your level or better, and as of recent.. I have not been getting that which is disappointing.

Thank you for this nice step in the right direction, and sorry for the long comment!
Dissapointing. Only diamond and above. It should be at all ranks of play. I will still get symm on att in gold/plat. Thanks guys
So does that mean i am still screwed as a flex player that adjust to frickin comps? Since it seems below dia you just still ge this benefit of "stat" based rank system.

Thats just horrible... i hate nothin more then just playin 1 hero for the whole time. And then punish flex players that just want to, win and then maybe still lose, lose overall more SR just because they dont perfom like other players. Thats just SAD.
For the people who find it unfair to only remove performance based sr only for diamond and above, let me explain why this is a very smart thing for the devs to do. At platinum and below, the chances that your teammates skill will drag down your chances for a win is much higher than it is at higher levels of play. Because of this, a performance based sr is necessary for more skilled players on bronz-plat to get out based on their performance.

Once a player reaches diamond and above player skill gaps are far more narrow compared to lower levels. Most players are aware of how the game works and how to perform on most heroes especially their main. Because of this, the main priority for players on this level should be winning. Period. Removing performance based sr for these guys will reduce the likelihood of seeing one-trick dps heroes and in turn we will see a lot less games with most players insta-locking dps. Because now you won't gain anymore sr for playing a dps good and still losing. Now all the importance is placed on winning and to do this players will realize that being flexible will be the most effective way to win in solo queue.

The only thing I disagree with is that I think the removal should be added to platinum players as well. I say this because I think most one tricks are in platinum because there are many borderline and basically diamond players at this level who only focus on getting out by picking dps and trying to get good stats. This screws over players at this level who actually want to play as a team and win. From my experience plat players are not drastically difference from diamond players skill-wise. They just play a lot more selfishly to try and gain more sr to get in diamond and I think removing the performance based sr for plat players will improve their match quality drastically.
I'm so tired of people saying they're getting a bunch of gold medals and acting like they're carrying; they're oversimplifying and they know it. It's such a crappy attitude and most of the time they aren't even carrying, like if i went on Winston, got gold elims, and told everybody i was carrying everyone, lol. i hope this cuts down on that.
I'd like an explanation as to why this isn't applied to every tier (plat and below)? I'm sure there is one, I just want clarification. Because I still get the same matches with the same issues, but it seems like diamond and above get a more positive experience...

I'm a flex player and I don't want to be punished for trying to a build a good team comp and win... :/
Oh blizzard you forgot to say why just for diamond and above. Soooo is it like a fun little riddle for us to solve or do i have to tune in to OWL for the answer or is the answer ganna be in a random loot box? HELLO blizzard pls wtf man
12/08/2017 05:09 PMPosted by Tygo
Let's be honest:
-the players that don't switch no matter what, aren't gonna start switching now because of this change.
Yes, at higher levels maybe they will because they not only care about the stats but they actually play their heroes well. But in lower levels, players just don't care... they might be doing horribly with Genji and they will still not swap
So I honestly don't think this will change much, at least for the majority of the player base.
You need to tell us what a competitive player is and forbid the ones who aren't from playing the mode.
While players are still allowed to not talk to the team at all and do what they want no matter whats the comp or if they are even playing well competitive will still suck imo.

I don't think it's as black-and-white as you say.

I wanted to main Moira as a support when she came out. I now main Zenyatta as a support. They're both supports, but I main Zenyatta because I gain more SR for winning with him than I do with Moira, even though I perform similarly well on both heroes. Probably a little better with Moira, to tell you the truth.

Other players do the same mental calculus when they want to climb. In the lower ranks, it is not really about 'which hero fits best into this composition?' but 'which hero can I play and get the most SR with --if-- my team wins?' If it's a DPS hero, there's your instalock DPSers right there.

The performance based system is why if you need a Moira, I'm not picking her over a Zenyatta. I cannot be the only person who does this. Performance based SR messes with team compositions which is why it has always been a bad idea.

Say you're a Hanzo getting 30SR for a win and -35 for a loss. All you have to do is win a bit more with that hero than you lose over time in order to climb. So why not roll Hanzo every game and eat your defeats because in the long run, you're on the way up anyway? In the meantime, you're creating problems for lots of random players along the way who don't need or want your Hanzo.
This all sounds great. But please apply this to all tiers.
If there was personal performance taken by consideration all this time, why do I lose and gain the same sr (+-1) for 5-6 seasons no matter if i killed anything or had above 50% kill participation?
I cant wait for my 65% winrate to actually mean something, and not just be stuck in masters/low gm.
If anything, the performance-based SR should be drastically amplified (throwers or boosted bonobos should lose 100 sr, boosters should get 100 sr), not removed. We dont need boosters to ruin games for 2x or 3x as long time because of the perf-based SR removal.

Also, how that correlates with the hidden MMR that changes on the fly independently from win/loss?
12/08/2017 03:17 PMPosted by C1oud
OOOOOOOOOOO! I wonder what complaint Stylosa will think of now lolol

he suggested this months ago.
doesn't this kinda Encourage throwers and trolls cause they only lose the same sr as everybody else? above diamond
This is possibly the best solution to one tricks you could have made Blizz, GG. Let those filthy Mercy and Sym OTPs sit in plat
12/08/2017 02:56 PMPosted by Arashi
no rank reset nice
stay bronze
Damn
I'm gonna feel ripped off whenever I carry
Love this change and seriously wished for it since Season 3, but I think it really should just be implemented across the board and not just above Diamond. Me and a buddy started this season in Plat and my duo Q buddy one-tricks D.Va. We literally lost/won the same amount of games and he hit GM earlier this week while I was still in Diamond. I'm personally a tank main (have a 65% win rate when I go tank) but flex as support half the time simply because we never have heals and it just sucks to notice how less points I received for doing so. We wanted to play together all season but the difference in gains/loss makes it impossible without him using his alt account.

In my personal experience, I've felt the sting of performance based SR gains/losses the most in Gold and Plat. I feel the sooner this system is introduced to players, the more time it'll give them to prepare for Diamond and up by not being afraid of experimenting with other heroes. I understand they want to minimize the smurfs at lower levels, but I think it'd be a better route to just improve the overall quality of players starting from the lower ranks. One-tricking up til Diamond still leads to creating inflexible players once they reach those ranks.
12/08/2017 05:21 PMPosted by HANA
If there was personal performance taken by consideration all this time, why do I lose and gain the same sr (+-1) for 5-6 seasons no matter if i killed anything or had above 50% kill participation?

Because you are hard stuck gold by the system, and wont climb out until you improve. Playing with plat level skills wont get you into it, only diamond level skills will.

But once you get the ball rolling it should be easy to climb.