Upcoming Competitive Play Changes for Season 8

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 30 Next
So if I get 90 elims on Genji, I gain the same sr as the dude healing me every 10 seconds? That is such nonsense. No reward for carrying, no drawback for being 5.5th player.

Instead of removing personal peformance based gains, why not add more team based factors into the equations? Such as stalling the point during overtime, a single clutch play to win the point etc. over just raw stats.

If you remove personal performance and it's accountability in gains/losses, elo hell might actually become a reality at some point, since the best player will inevitably gain the same as the worst.

I hope you and the rest of the team realize this, Scott.
So turning off personal performance SR will mean one-tricks will most likely drop?

Does this rely on negative winrates or if they have a positive winrate as well they will drop as well due to no bonuses for performance? Someone explain please.
First, I don't like the PR removal. Encouraging players to play their best and punishing players for playing badly is a thing that I encourage.

Second, how does this combat one tricks? By encouraging them to play heroes they suck on, is that supposed to make the team have a better chance at winning? Is having a player in Diamond that sucks on Tracer, playing Tracer really going to help your team win?

How would this not lead to more griefing? Before, you could rely on the fact that even if your bad players suck and you lose, if you did your best, you were hardly effected. Now you don't get that benefit. Instead, you get to know that if someone tanks your team's chance at winning, you'll lose just as much as they do.

Not a fan. Too easy to abuse, doesn't encourage anything positive, and doesn't reward players for playing above average.
POGCHAMP
Highly Rated
If performance based MMR isn't suitable for Diamond tiers and up then it isn't suitable for any tier. For the vast majority of the player base these changes mean literally nothing (though for the portion they do effect, they are positive changes).
Highly Rated
The scrapping of performance sistem should be applied to every stage of the ladder, maybe except for placements matches, thats the only place where it makes sense.
Highly Rated
12/08/2017 03:13 PMPosted by Hanzonly
So if I get 90 elims on Genji, I gain the same sr as the dude healing me every 10 seconds? That is such nonsense. No reward for carrying, no drawback for being 5.5th player.

Instead of removing personal peformance based gains, why not add more team based factors into the equations? Such as stalling the point during overtime, a single clutch play to win the point etc. over just raw stats.

If you remove personal performance and it's accountability in gains/losses, elo hell might actually become a reality at some point, since the best player will inevitably gain the same as the worst.

I hope you and the rest of the team realize this, Scott.

Good luck getting 90 elims without your healers.

As for other factors they could add in...they've tried. No matter what they do it is going to distort and overvalue or undervalue things that people might need to do to avoid a loss or clutch a victory.

Hero swapping/one-tricking is chief among these distortions, since staying to on your one-trick that you play well and getting a loss is better for you in the long run (you'll lose less SR in a loss) than changing to a hero your team needs in order to have a chance of winning that match.
OOOOOOOOOOO! I wonder what complaint Stylosa will think of now lolol
The removal of performance based SR is a GREAT change! I'm glad to see this happening! :D
this is going to turn diamond/masters into smurf HELL
with the current system there's something in place to eject the players that do not belong out of that elo. with this new system they will sit and fester at these ranks for as long as they want
masters is already swarming with GM/top500 smurfs, dont make it worse on players that are actually in that SR range
Following Jeff's previous talk about how players perception of game systems is often more impactful than how the system itself behaves, I'm very excited to no longer feel like I'm gambling in forfeiting a comfortable role for the benefit of the team. Whereas before it felt like a prisoner's dilemma in swapping for a higher chance to win but for reduced prizes and greater losses, I can now be at peace knowing that the right decision is just whatever increases my chance of winning.

To those who are attached to the idea of personal SR: Try to focus on team play and winning the game. If you are "carrying" you will inevitably win more than you lose. If you think you're being high impact and losing then you probably are judging your play too leniently.
12/08/2017 03:13 PMPosted by Hanzonly

The reward for carrying is to win, and gain SR. The players who are getting carried constantly going to lose more games ergo they will drop eventualy, unless they improve their game.
Thanks Scott, the community really needed to hear this. People should play for the W. Now I don’t have to take an emotional L when I get a one trick on my team (or at least take the L less often for that reason)
12/08/2017 03:16 PMPosted by Lemmi
The scrapping of performance sistem should be applied to every stage of the ladder, maybe except for placements matches, thats the only place where it makes sense.

preach! this is how it should be
Highly Rated
Please also turn off personal performance for everyone and not just Diamond and above. The logic to leave it turned on for the rest of us as a "preventative measure" for smurfing or boosted accounts is a moot-point because it happens anyway.

I understand that you probably want to test this feature with the top-25% of OW players but please eventually implement this across the board, as this will encourage players to play more as a team rather than to "squat" on one Hero. The overall benefits of this will greatly outweigh the outlier-situations.
Highly Rated
12/08/2017 02:41 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
We look forward to everyone playing matches and giving us feedback about these changes in Season 8!
I got one piece of feedback already. Roll the SR changes out to all ranks after Season 8.
The personal performance removal seems like it will really do wonders for all those one tricks that effectively throw matches, though I feel this should be the case for ALL ranks. Though there are still issues outside of SR adjustments that effect the quality of competitive matches I hope we get to, it's really refreshing to see this gradually improving each season! I'm really looking forward to season 8, even if im only gold.
Highly Rated
You just can't force all the players below Diamond to still have to deal with the performance based system, it's a gigantic slap in the face for them. Suddenly the way the system works is different for a 2900 player then for a 3000 player and any player that can hit 2900 has the potential to hit 3000 as well.

Also not happy that people can still queue with others 1000SR apart, there is imo no need to gather more feedback as you "tweak" it mysteriously without transparency to your competitive player-base. You have had 6 seasons worth of us telling you 1000SR is way too big of a difference if that's still not enough feedback I don't even know anymore.

Hurray competitive now gets better after you reached Diamond only.

Sorry 80% of the playerbase that's below Diamond we just don't care enough about your competitive experience to make the system consistent at all ranks.

When we need the big swings you go slow and steady and when you need to go slow and steady you do things like overbuff Mercy and Junkrat stupendous amounts.

I'm not impressed, too little too late at this pace maybe in another 4 seasons we might finally be where comp needs to be.
12/08/2017 03:18 PMPosted by Cupcake
this is going to turn diamond/masters into smurf HELL
with the current system there's something in place to eject the players that do not belong out of that elo. with this new system they will sit and fester at these ranks for as long as they want
masters is already swarming with GM/top500 smurfs, dont make it worse on players that are actually in that SR range

Smurf hell? I don't know. Does it mean diamond/masters will now be the only place someone can smurf for an extended period of time? Yeah.

Honestly in 200hrs of ranked I've only encountered 1 person who I thought was smurfing. Still though yeah it's a valid concern.
12/08/2017 03:04 PMPosted by keeeyt
lets bring the one tricks all to plat and below..

gonna have a party here

This is actually a SR buff to Symmetra mains. They win less and lose more then the average hero.... So this will actually possibly make it better for them.