Why does Blizzard only acknowledge Christmas

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 25 Next
12/12/2017 12:58 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
12/12/2017 12:57 PMPosted by Matrim

Please explain what Santa Claus has to do with religion, I will wait.

Because Santa is associated with Christmas, a holiday only for Christians. Not everyone is a Christian.

lol, actually santa has nothing to do with christianity. Its a pagan holiday, its not even Jesus actual birthday
12/12/2017 01:01 PMPosted by Alkedamus
I noticed OP has spent about 10 minutes in game...Troll much?

10 minutes on PC cause my computer sucks. I've got like 30 hours in comp just this season on PS4
12/12/2017 01:01 PMPosted by kazzakstan

Because Santa is associated with Christmas, a holiday only for Christians. Not everyone is a Christian.

lol, actually santa has nothing to do with christianity. Its a pagan holiday, its not even Jesus actual birthday

Wow. The ignorance is real on here. No Christmas is supposed to be about Jesus's birth. Just because it's become a holiday for consumers doesn't change what it represents.
Overwatch inclusiveness is mostly a secondary concept, because it's a videogame, not a series or a movie that can dedicate their full potential to story making and character development. They gotta focus a lot in maintainig the game fun. The OW team are still making really varied characters to stop stereotypes in videogames and media, but you can't accuse them of not "acknowledging" every group of people that has ever existed. Don't be entitled. Overwatch has already made a big change with its inclusiveness, why dont just appreciate what this game gives you?
12/12/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Shade
12/12/2017 12:47 PMPosted by Essedus
Isn't Kwanzaa a made up holiday?

You're thinking of festivus. But in essence most holidays are "made up". They're just traditions. Christmas happens to be the biggest winter one so that's what people will see represented, don't know why there's controversy around this.

I'm pretty sure Kwanza was made up.

Infact if I remember correctly it was made up by a guy who was convicted and sent to prison for torturing two women.
12/12/2017 12:47 PMPosted by Essedus
Isn't Kwanzaa a made up holiday?

Every holiday was made up by somebody.

Many non-Christians celebrate Christmas - the Coca Cola Christmas, that is, which has Santa Claus. In fact, many of the people who are most enthusiastic about celebrating this Christmas are not religious at all. And many actual Christians hate how commercialized the whole Christmas thing has become.

In short, the Christmas element in the game has very little to do with religion. Like it or not, other religious holiday have not permeated mass Western culture the way Christmas has, so it's hardly surprising they aren't in the game.
Well, a Happy Kwanzukkah... mas... tivus. To you all.
12/12/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Sheevah
12/12/2017 12:57 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
Lemme guess. You celebrate xmas so you don't really care what others would like in the game because you got what you wanted

Thank you for bypassing the entire rationale behind my post to create a strawman. Really solid stuff.

Edit:

You might want to educate yourself a bit and get with the modern times. The majority of the Christmas holiday in this day and age is secular in nature.

just because that's how you view it, doesn't mean it's not a Christian holiday first and foremost.
Yeah, Bring back Saturnalia!!!!! This is an outrage.
12/12/2017 12:56 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
If this is really how people feel. They should remove all the Christmas things and purely make it winter related

You know what we need to get rid off? Trolls. Reported.
12/12/2017 01:06 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Thank you for bypassing the entire rationale behind my post to create a strawman. Really solid stuff.

Edit: <span class="truncated">...</span>

You might want to educate yourself a bit and get with the modern times. The majority of the Christmas holiday in this day and age is secular in nature.

just because that's how you view it, doesn't mean it's not a Christian holiday first and foremost.

How long are you going to sit there telling everyone else they are wrong until you actually go and educate yourself on the origins of the holiday?

It came from the pagans, that's not an opinion, it's a fact.
12/12/2017 01:04 PMPosted by Essedus
12/12/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Shade

You're thinking of festivus. But in essence most holidays are "made up". They're just traditions. Christmas happens to be the biggest winter one so that's what people will see represented, don't know why there's controversy around this.

I'm pretty sure Kwanza was made up.

Infact if I remember correctly it was made up by a guy who was convicted and sent to prison for torturing two women.

It was made up in the same way that all others were made up. Who made it up doesn't matter as long as it's a tradition followed by a large amount of people. I've met people that celebrate Kwanza.
12/12/2017 01:07 PMPosted by LawrencTider
12/12/2017 12:56 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
If this is really how people feel. They should remove all the Christmas things and purely make it winter related

You know what we need to get rid off? Trolls. Reported.

Because i try to start a conversation about Blizzard not including other religions when thy have 6 voice lines for Christmas, which is Christian despite what you all say, I'm the troll????

Isn't the modern day Santa an invention by the Coca Cola corporation? At least his current look is right?

Christmas may have Christ in the name but the modern day Christmas is anything but "just for Christians". It is just a holiday now that has been manufactured into some event for businesses to make more money. Nothing what so ever to do with religion. Santa is a symbol of Capitalism not Christianity.

Overwatch does not reference religion generally and I can see why they wouldn't want to. It's such a sensitive subject as your post proves. Same for real world politics, the two things shouldn't be in a video game that people play for FUN. The only canon religion in this game is the IRIS and i'm happy with it staying like that tbh. Keep the real world out of my fictional game world. We all see enough of this stuff on the news. We don't need it in our hobbies.

I do acknowledge before you say the voice lines and Santa hats. But Like said above, Santa hats represent modern Christmas not the religious holiday. Same for the voice lines.
12/12/2017 12:44 PMPosted by SmokeyMcSir
Thanks for the downvote with no actual feedback. Appreciate it!

Christmas itself is a theme. It has a lot to go off of.

What kind of kwanza related skin could you muster up? I'd like to see it. Perhaps you could design some ideas for Hannauka (spelled wrong, I know) and give em to Blizzard.

But no, you chose to come here and ask questions with obvious answers.
12/12/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Sheevah

Edit: ...

First? It was stolen from pagan festivals. It is Christian SECOND. And foremost? To celebrate the winter solstice, not the birth of some kid.

You're trying too hard at this point. It's not even cute, anymore.