About the Yeti Hunt

General Discussion
The yeti hunt is great, and i love it, which is why i'd like to give some feedback. First of all, i think that Winston should not be able to do damage, or do way less damage when not in super form. I've noticed he can sometimes ignore getting meat and just go for the players, try to pick them off even just separate the group in 2, his gun damage is just way too high in my opinion. The way I see it is, he should be running from us, unless he's in super, which, for a really good Winston, is not the case. The second criticism i have, however small it is, is about the meat itself. I just think it spawns too fast, the Winston gets his first meat within 3 seconds or so of us exiting spawn. If the meat could spawn just a little later, say like 5-10 seconds later, i think that would be good. That's my feedback, apart from that, i think everything is great, maybe he loses a little too much health when returning to cave, but i'm not quite sure yet. Anyways, good job on the event Blizzard, that's my constructive feedback for it. What do you think?
I like the gamemode, but I think it's ridiculously tilted towards the yeti, and in my games the Meis have only won once or twice. So yeah, I totally agree.
I'll get a good chunk of kills without being in yeti form, so I think his damage definitely needs to go down outside of Yeti form given that the whole point of the game is to be sneaky when not in Yeti form.

Maybe as a trade off let Winston activate Primal Rage at the time of his choosing instead of as soon as he eats?

Overall it's an extremely fun game mode, but it is definitely tilted towards the Yeti.
Re: health loss upon falling - No, its fine, if anything he should lose the game for falling off like that.

Re: Raise meat spawn timer - No, it's fine, it's incredibly easy for smart Meis to make him waste his entire ult [or at the very least get minimal benefit from it], coordinated Meis -already- dominate the gamemode for this reason.

Re: Take away his gun - No, it's fine, again, Meis already dominate, no need to nerf Yeti; However, if we do this for thematic reasons, his health would have to be raised in compensation. Keep his shift knockback in either case.
Good meis will always beat good yetis.
I don't think so, because it stresses that mei's should be grouped up when fighting winston. Otherwise you could just have 1-2 mei's camping at every meat site without giving winston much of a chance, walling off or trapping when winston is near.

12/12/2017 08:04 PMPosted by Roomba

This is pretty much true right now anyways.
The first meat spawn has always bothered me and my group. Why when the game starts he already has one, its always the one by his cave that spawns first.

-His main weapon should be disabled or less damage output. BUT...it makes sense since he can solo kill one mei who happens to be alone, but two mei can easily freeze him, thus making him run.
-So far, the Meat spawning is not random.
Other than that, very fun and great boss game mode. Good group of mei who catch the Yeti can block him in and take him down before he gets the second meat.
Good Yeti can catch all 5 Mei at once if planned correctly.
main issue is that it is Day 1 and most people are charging in like it's 5 Meis VS a Winston instead of a YETI

Wisnton is should be able to punish you if you are alone and just face checking. There isn't a time limit, and as such Meis' priority should be staying alive.

as long as the Meis play in a remotely intelligent fashion they will
1)stay in groups to lockdown/harass yeti
2) actually use ice block to heal
3) use icewalls defensively if necessary to heal
4) use ice walls to trap Yeti
5) scatter when Yeti is at 3 meat. Yes, scatter at 3 meat. you know he just needs one more, you know when he gets the 4th he'll turn and swoop and murder anyone around. if he's got the 3 and a 4th is reasonably available, get away form that freaking yeti, LET HIM get the meat and waste ult time.

6) after ult, repeat until you kill the high hp yeti, cause ya know, you can actaully HEAL.
For those who said the Meis need to work together and they will defeat yeti, it's true, in theory.. the problem is, unless you match with a premade of at least 3, people don't normally work together, at least in my experience and that's a sad truth that i wish wasn't. And for the meat i just meant the original spawn, not overall up the re spawn time of meat just put an initial timer on it. And i'm saying take away his gun because the essence of the game is the hunter becomes the hunted, in which case, a skilled Winston can be the hunter 100% of the time provided he makes good use of his shield and plays smart. I'ts true that a coordinated group has a tremendously increased chance to beat him, but most games 1 or 2 people just go off on their own and the other 3 can't do anything. I do agree with augmenting his health pool a little if they end up removing his gun tho.
12/12/2017 07:42 PMPosted by SemiSolid
I like the gamemode, but I think it's ridiculously tilted towards the yeti, and in my games the Meis have only won once or twice. So yeah, I totally agree.

Really? Most of the matches ive played the meis pretty much win because they trap the meat so that he sits there for a couple seconds while they pelt him in the head. Other times they just group up on the yeti and just keep walling him off and freezing him until he is just melted for half or more of his health. By that time its pretty easy to finish im off after he gets primal the first time cuz he goes back to half or even lower if you were fighting him in primal. Also the yeti is slower than the meis so its not hard to catch up and cut him off considering that if one mei sees the yeti, the he is visible thru walls for all the meis.

The problem i have is that he gets POTG all the time. Ive gotten 2 POTG as mei, and the rest is just winston.
[quote]
The problem i have is that he gets POTG all the time. Ive gotten 2 POTG as mei, and the rest is just winston.

Yeah I just think POTG should be disabled for this lol
I played both sides and have to say yeti has it better, here is why, if a player knows what he is doing then even if meys travel together he can easily escape and grab the meat, his cannon does alot of damage, 3 meys locked me in a room, they took out about 1.5k health, killed all of them within 2 clips even after they bubbled. For now i would love to see his cannon damage slightly nerfed and his jump cd made slightly longer.
One time I played the Yeti and messed up on quit many occasions (missing my jumps) yet I won. It was a close call though, Mei can self heal and wall and trap, but Mei tend to scatter whne Yeti gets mad (Which I guess is a good plan, but at the same time...)
I am sure than in good hands, A Mei team can destroy Yeti (maybe with Voice chat?) Mei did win a few times so far on my runs.
12/12/2017 11:07 PMPosted by Kila
I am sure than in good hands, A Mei team can destroy Yeti (maybe with Voice chat?) Mei did win a few times so far on my runs.

100% true, but i don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is good with Mei, or will even communicate. This works out in theory, but in practice i just feel it's a little iffy
12/13/2017 12:44 PMPosted by Foldaren
12/12/2017 11:07 PMPosted by Kila

100% true, but i don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is good with Mei, or will even communicate. This works out in theory, but in practice i just feel it's a little iffy

Your players weren't in voice?!?!?

Every group I played with, after 2-3 rounds while new people learned the rules, the Mei's won 90%+ of the time. The game is completely in control of the "hunters" to win. Of course, we were talking and coordinating while playing. I wonder if the game still uses some MMR for the yeti game mode?

But yeah, once the Mei's learn what to do they should always win, unless there's some secret yeti strat I haven't seen yet. This feels just like "Bastion on release" all over again, where people are complaining before learning how to work around something.

This has been my experience. If the Hunters know how to play Mei and group up even in the slightest, the Winston loses every time. I got my last 3 weekly Arcade loot box wins from consecutive Hunter wins, only one of which was even close, and this was on console with 0 communication. I do think Winston's normal 6 second jump cooldown is just not enough to get out of multiple Meis taking turns freezing him, pelting him and then reloading.

Maybe the Hunters are just ridiculously strong on consoles, but I am not sure why that would be.
Imo it's very balanced and shouldn't change at all. I actually see Mei win more than the yeti.
In my experience thus far I find taking a sneakier approach with the yeti to be most successful. You have the upper hand in that you can see exactly when a meat spawns and if you wait plan your route once you see the third meat spawn you can swoop in for ult right away.

Almost always get a quad kill if I make my 3rd meat the one on the bridge above the gazebo then immediately nab the one on the balcony while the meis haven't had a chance to disperse.
Another cheesy strat I used to grab a quick 4 kills was to find an isolated Mei, solo kill with Tesla, then hop to their spawn and camp before the team swarms.
You'd need 5 good Meis though. If half the team is good against a good Winston, the Winston will win.

You have to remember that the general populace isn't good at the game lol