Masters in QP

General Discussion
So, I just played a game with Master level players.

However, I'm low gold.

It's been happening quite a bit lately.

Why is QP matchmaking putting me in games with tiers far higher than mine?
Does this happen to anyone else?
happens to me a lot, not fun being spawntrapped for the whole game and then called a noob by masters
I'll never understand why this is a bad thing. Why wouldn't you want to play against people who are better than you? It only makes you a better player. I wish I could que with grandmasters
They might be Masters on Ranked. But that doesn't mean their QP MMR is the same because they will be trying heroes that they don't normally use.
12/12/2017 07:05 PMPosted by Needles
I'll never understand why this is a bad thing. Why wouldn't you want to play against people who are better than you? It only makes you a better player. I wish I could que with grandmasters

If you get rolled by a team SO much better than you that you can't get out of your spawn room, you learned nothing. While I agree its good to play against players better than yourself, there is such thing as having too large of a skill gap that you can't do anything at all.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to add, this also happens to me fairly frequently. A lot of masters and gms in my games, at the very least there is usually one on each team.. to 'balance' it out i suppose.
I have been noticing lately that I am getting matched against better players. Which I absolutely love. Now if I could make it so my team would stop being a bunch of !@#$%es and running away so I can play a good few games against them and get better. If feels like we lose a game against better players and people immediately quit, forcing me back to playing people in my own level. You dont get better when you play people your same level.
Happens a lot to me in FFA or at 3AM.
Otherwise I have been mostly fine... so far...

That's not how learning works. You have to have a good foundation if you want to full comprehend what someone is doing without having them explaining exactly what was on their mind. If the skill gap is so high that you can't even guess what they're doing off screen, you're just feeding.
Happened to me the other day. I was getting my widow practice in and then i get put up against a GM widow.

My mercy thought it was hilarious and made absolutely sure i couldn't switch by continuing to rez me and heal me.

She said "You can die when you kill that widow"

I did get her once via body shot, then again with wallhacks. But never again.
mmr in QP is different than mmr in Comp. so it is still a relatively fair match in the game's eyes. comp and qp are fairly different experiences with different mentalities hence the disparity.

also qp is more generous in order to minimize que times.
QP matchmaking has been completely broken for a while. It's not being addressed as far as I know... It hasn't even been acknowledged. Search on the forums, there's a lot of these threads.
12/12/2017 09:18 PMPosted by Averax
My mercy thought it was hilarious and made absolutely sure i couldn't switch by continuing to rez me and heal me.

She said "You can die when you kill that widow"

All according to pla-

wait what? I didn't say anything
Happens a lot to me too. The other day I got matched against a former top 500/ current GM widowmaker who didn't miss. Our team was mostly plats and one gold. I don't recall this happening as frequently before and it makes me wonder if fewer people are playing.
Honestly, it's one of the reasons I've been playing dm a lot. Although most the time I will get stomped my higher ranked players, I tend to learn at least something each time. It can be frustrating yes, but it's my belief that you only get better by playing a better opponent.
The hidden MMR for QP is separate from Comp. So, if the Master rank has been messing around or practicing a hero they are not good with, they will rapidly reduce their QP MMR.

So that's why you play with them. I've noticed that most people play completely different heroes in QP compared to what they play in Comp a lot of the time, and their MMR will reflect it. Combine that with messing around, having fun, not taking it so seriously, not caring about comp, not using communication, and you get a Masters ranked person with a low QP MMR.
I get placed with lower ranked players in QP.

They still win though because I’m more focused on trying new characters and making friends with the enemy than winning.
Master is overated
12/12/2017 05:10 PMPosted by Rain

Why is QP matchmaking putting me in games with tiers far higher than mine?

It's prioritizing queue times over balance. That's how it's designed to work (un)fortunately.

How are they supposed to learn anything from getting stomped?