7 Bans, 1 year. No response to tickets. Quitting

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
12/15/2017 08:36 AMPosted by Contrail
I have played with many one trick Torbs who worked really well with the team, but I can see reading this person's posts he/she is very toxic.

The usual abusing blizzard etc and trolling.

I hope they move onto single player games or multiplayer games without a team until they mature.

EDIT: It is stupid you can be banned 7 times, but not permanently yet btw.

Exactly! I thought the devs told us that after a certain amount of bans you get perma from comp. What the hell about the 7x ban?

Imagine if this guy is indeed a very toxic dude(and hes BSing all of us to start a poopstorm knowing this is hot topic) means he can still be toxic after his ban.

I dont want players to have 9 lives like a cat :/

ps: I bet Blizzard doesnt even dare to respond to this after what Jeff did earlier this year with his roast. Imagine showing this guy is a liar, he would have to hand out more free stuff
12/15/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Chaghatai
But some players definitely use that as an excuse for not switching when they know good and well that even a crappy flex from them would be better than what they are doing, but don't want to because "reasons" - but I'm not psychic, so I can't tell one from another

Listen here, you are scapegoating an off-meta/one-trick play and attributing blame to them, by default, before matches even start.

You aren't even giving them a chance to assess their value. "They know well and good" is a cognitive predisposition against their hero pick without factoring in their live performance, in a match.

Knowing you have this predisposition, why the hell should I ever trust you?

Suppose that everyone has this predisposition.

Suppose also that I play Widow, and I take out an enemy Mercy and Pharah constantly, before every single teamfight, and the enemy team has to resort to going full dive comp just to counter with me (and they counter me hard). If everyone on my team has your predisposition, and all you can see is the enemy team running dive comp to counter me, that's ignoring the entire situation.

I'm STILL COUNTERING two of their hero picks. It takes TWO enemies to counter me. I'm effectively forcing four of the enemies into unfavorable positions, and you will STILL have the gall to suggest that I switch to a better hero, because they're running dive comp and you're one hero away from your perfect deathball comp?

No. That's ridiculous.

The problem has never been with one-tricks, even if some of them are unsavory people. The problem is that people cannot properly identify value, cannot monitor activity correctly, and enter games with baggage that all off-metas are trash despite the fact that each game is a new opportunity to prove otherwise.
12/15/2017 08:59 AMPosted by brokenstyli
12/15/2017 08:23 AMPosted by Chaghatai
But some players definitely use that as an excuse for not switching when they know good and well that even a crappy flex from them would be better than what they are doing, but don't want to because "reasons" - but I'm not psychic, so I can't tell one from another

Listen here, you are scapegoating an off-meta/one-trick play and attributing blame to them, by default, before matches even start.

You aren't even giving them a chance to assess their value. "They know well and good" is a cognitive predisposition against their hero pick without factoring in their live performance, in a match.

Knowing you have this predisposition, why the hell should I ever trust you?

Suppose that everyone has this predisposition.

Suppose also that I play Widow, and I take out an enemy Mercy and Pharah constantly, before every single teamfight, and the enemy team has to resort to going full dive comp just to counter with me (and they counter me hard). If everyone on my team has your predisposition, and all you can see is the enemy team running dive comp to counter me, that's ignoring the entire situation.

I'm STILL COUNTERING two of their hero picks. It takes TWO enemies to counter me. I'm effectively forcing four of the enemies into unfavorable positions, and you will STILL have the gall to suggest that I switch to a better hero, because they're running dive comp and you're one hero away from your perfect deathball comp?

No. That's ridiculous.

The problem has never been with one-tricks, even if some of them are unsavory people. The problem is that people cannot properly identify value, cannot monitor activity correctly, and enter games with baggage that all off-metas are trash despite the fact that each game is a new opportunity to prove otherwise.

Umm, I think that the problem is that not every hero works in all situations, so sometimes you have to swap heroes?

Yet, some people refuse to swap.

What if everyone in the team auto locks a DPS. Do you think everyone in the team would be fine with a 6 DPS team comp, or would everyone be asking someone to swap tank / heal?
12/15/2017 08:33 AMPosted by TheGoodz
12/15/2017 08:17 AMPosted by Disco

when you make an awful pick for the situation, and refuse to ever switch ever, and depend on your team to cover your considerable weaknesses... yeah, that is beyond selfish.
Understand your opinion that someone is making an awful pick isn't an objective decision. I was constantly harassed for picking torb on attack all the way through bronze and silver even though I had over a 65% win rate while I was climbing. In particular I recall one griefer I ran into repeatedly, guy named ORE0 at like, 1400SR. Constantly harassing me, shooting at me instead of the enemy, blocking off my turret with Mei wall, you name it. We got stuck on the same team about 5 times one day. He was completely convinced my picks were bad so he threw the game and cost himself SR to do it.

Despite this Torb was clearly the right choice because I still climbed another 1000SR past him in less than a week. All that time I was making the best decision to carry my team and try to win the game. I put in four seasons flex-picking before I decided to one-trick torb but the evidence is in, it the best choice for me and my team if I'm trying to win the game. Asking me to switch is asking me to intentionally throw the game and I'm not going to do that. I have a responsibility to my team to do my best even if they have some fantasy in their head telling them I could do better on another hero.

yep, my opinion is that they are throwing, so I report. and so do enough other people that it brings the ahole to blizzard's attention, and blizzard may or may not agree with us.

if they get punished, good, punishment deserved. if not, oh well. be better if they did, throwers ruin comp, but not everything goes your way.
12/15/2017 08:35 AMPosted by Eddimame
12/15/2017 08:32 AMPosted by Sinister
Man this is what's messed up about the community. A Torb main states he's done with the game because he's not allowed to enjoy playing Torb, and a whole load of the comments are basically people trying to show him the door. Anyone in this thread ignorant enough to be one of these people should be the players getting banned. Take one look at this dude's stats. If he came up to me and asked "wanna queue?" I'd be right there in this group. This dude made it to Masters on Torb. I'm in Diamond on flex.

How are you so sure hes banned for playing torb and not for being toxic? How about we stop being naive?

Because defensive and reflexive toxicity isn't actually genuine toxicity.

If the team isn't performing well and sees me as an easy scapegoat as an off-meta character, and I start defensively pointing out other people/spewing profanities/getting tilted to the point where I'm not actually capable of performing well, that's not me throwing or using abusive chat. That's the team poking an angry wolf to see if it'll bite, and then automatically reporting them for it.
12/15/2017 08:07 AMPosted by Disco
solo queuing as a one trick is just holding your team hostage
Holding a team hostage would involve not letting the team play freely. I mean, do you know what a hostage situation is? Sounds like the only hostage is the one trick.
12/15/2017 09:07 AMPosted by brokenstyli
<span class="truncated">...</span>

How are you so sure hes banned for playing torb and not for being toxic? How about we stop being naive?

Because defensive and reflexive toxicity isn't actually genuine toxicity.

If the team isn't performing well and sees me as an easy scapegoat as an off-meta character, and I start defensively pointing out other people/spewing profanities/getting tilted to the point where I'm not actually capable of performing well, that's not me throwing or using abusive chat. That's the team poking an angry wolf to see if it'll bite, and then automatically reporting them for it.

Yet you still dont know what this guy has said but still jump on the bandwagon. You have no idea how many one trick (smurfs) I encounter that go full on insulting even when asked super nicely. Im sure this is not a rare phenomenon that I only encounter.

And I had to laugh at this:"Because defensive and reflexive toxicity isn't actually genuine toxicity." The word toxicity has lost its meaning these days. Suggesting, coaching, criticism is nowdays seen as "toxic".

And youre here trying to explain your view and definition of toxicity. Its so vague these days, dont bother (no offence its just that it can end up in a long useless discussion, similar to a never ending religion discussion for example).

Point is, we shouldnt believe people like OP without actually seeing some evidence that he has or has not been abusive. This is so hot right now, many people hear what they wanna hear. So they can actively continue this poopstorm
12/15/2017 09:12 AMPosted by Audaylon
Holding a team hostage would involve not letting the team play freely. I mean, do you know what a hostage situation is? Sounds like the only hostage is the one trick.

No, the one trick is doing exactly what HE wants.

Playing one hero, damn the team..

In a team based game that's not good.

If it's not working and you've almost built up an ult, sure use the ult then consider a switch. But if it's not working and you keep doing it all game... YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO PLAY WITH OTHERS.
12/15/2017 09:12 AMPosted by Audaylon

seeing as the one trick forces the team to play around them, or lose... hostage situation seems an apt description to me.
12/15/2017 09:06 AMPosted by Contrail
Umm, I think that the problem is that not every hero works in all situations, so sometimes you have to swap heroes?

Yet, some people refuse to swap.

If a one-trick has more than 50% winrate, then they're clearly making it work in all situations.

If you're consistent enough to run a Torb and earn your keep as a 50+% winrate one-trick, that means you're rock steady, and it's the teammates that endanger their own chances of winning.

12/15/2017 09:15 AMPosted by Disco
seeing as the one trick forces the team to play around them, or lose... hostage situation seems an apt description to me.

Team synergy doesn't mean that they have to automatically default to Orisa/Winston/Rein/pirate ship comp just to complement the Torb pick, because Torbs worth their salt aren't going to stay in one position and only hammer their turret.

Most of the Torb players I've encountered will play as if they're a Reaper/Soldier hybrid, and unsurprisingly they always go smoothly when the team is just meshing well together instead of being confrontational at match start.

And that's one thing I've noticed. When I play Widow, I'm not asking you to play around my pick. I'm asking you to play normally. We simply ask that you play normally, as if the off-meta pick is actually some other character.

Widow > McCree
Hanzo > McCree
Symmetra > Mei
Torb > Reaper
Attack Torb > Soldier

There's no compulsory "oh no, he picked Torb, I have to play Rein now and I suck at Rein". No, pick who you were going to play as normally. The predisposition that you have to pick someone you're not good at to complement the off-meta ends terribly every time... if you approach the game as the above, and cognitively remind yourself not to overextend, not to be out of position, not to do stupid stuff like extend the stagger or 1v5 facecheck the enemy team, then you'll find a lot of your games will play pretty smoothly.
12/15/2017 09:14 AMPosted by EvilOak27
If it's not working and you've almost built up an ult, sure use the ult then consider a switch. But if it's not working and you keep doing it all game... YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO PLAY WITH OTHERS.

Don't acknowledge that someone in the team HAS to pick a hero first to build the team around.
Now, you're going to get into "I picked first" Scenario. That's childish.
Forcing a player off his preferred hero is holding their preferred hero hostage.
Not letting them play freely. But I guess if you, yourself, wanted 76, but someone pick Torb, you would blame Torb for keeping Torb because he picked 2nd. Are you going to say he's holding you hostage because you have to pick shield to improve team comp? All n all, the term 'holding the team hostage,' is absolutely stupid and should just be stopped.
YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO PLAY WITH OTHERS.
Who's really the problem here? Not the one trick. Settle down kids.
The problem is one tricks clearly don't understand the problems with one tricking...

If you want the best odds of winning every game you cannot play the same hero on every map and every situation. You must be able to counter pick and swap if countered.

If you play into a counter and get punished for it then I 100% support you getting banned for poor teamwork. Selfishly playing what you want regardless of the outcome should not be tolerated.

I don't mind people playing torb or sym if they can justify it (can't justify torb on durado attack). If it doesn't fit the team comp then don't play it. If you do, expect to get reported and I'll be one of the ones reporting.

You do not have the right to come into a team based game where most people are actively trying to work as a team to build a working comp and expect to only play one hero and force others to play around you. I sincerely hope you get banned if you're a selfish player in a team game. Regardless of what hero you one trick if you're not willing to swap or learn other heroes then you don't belong in overwatch.

Go play Minecraft if you want to act like a child.
12/15/2017 08:35 AMPosted by Eddimame
12/15/2017 08:32 AMPosted by Sinister
Man this is what's messed up about the community. A Torb main states he's done with the game because he's not allowed to enjoy playing Torb, and a whole load of the comments are basically people trying to show him the door. Anyone in this thread ignorant enough to be one of these people should be the players getting banned. Take one look at this dude's stats. If he came up to me and asked "wanna queue?" I'd be right there in this group. This dude made it to Masters on Torb. I'm in Diamond on flex.

I'm not commenting on why he's banned. He even admitted a lot of the bans were ones he assumed to be about making defensive comments. I'm commenting on how many high and mighty players came into the thread, saw it was a torb main, and literally said things like:

Please dont come back...

:::: holds door open for you ::::

PUBG is an amazing game, but unfortunately you can't place a turret and expect it to do all the work for you :/

These are the sorts of comments that should get people banned for toxicity. I'm not being naive and fully concede that he could well have been banned for toxicity, but perhaps you should read my post properly before you attempt a counter argument.
It's really sad because Blizzard really are trying to make things work but the community is flooded with entitled kiddos who can't handle a team environment.

Hopefully you can find youself a time to come back when the autoban system starts getting rid of compulsive reporters.
12/15/2017 09:18 AMPosted by Slows
If you want the best odds of winning every game you cannot play the same hero on every map and every situation. You must be able to counter pick and swap if countered.

If you play into a counter and get punished for it then I 100% support you getting banned for poor teamwork. Selfishly playing what you want regardless of the outcome should not be tolerated.

No, no, no.

If you're a one-trick that's got a 50+% winrate, then you absolutely CAN and HAVE PROVEN you can play the same hero on every map and every situation.

If you're playing into a counter, but you're STILL earning frags and performing in your role, even if you get punished for it, you're STILL performing in your role. The team has to step it up, not you.
12/14/2017 03:11 PMPosted by TheRugester
The system has been broken for god knows how long. You can play torb and have 3-4 golds and get the blame but the one trick genji on the team doing nothing and dying every encounter is praised.

You literally just described what happened to me in the round I just finished.

I had 4 golds as attack torb, was reported by an idiot Genji who did nothing to contribute.

It makes me wonder, why am I playing this game in the first place.
12/15/2017 09:13 AMPosted by Eddimame
Yet you still dont know what this guy has said but still jump on the bandwagon. You have no idea how many one trick (smurfs) I encounter that go full on insulting even when asked super nicely. Im sure this is not a rare phenomenon that I only encounter.

And I had to laugh at this:"Because defensive and reflexive toxicity isn't actually genuine toxicity." The word toxicity has lost its meaning these days. Suggesting, coaching, criticism is nowdays seen as "toxic".

What bandwagon? The "bandwagon" in this thread is literally a 50/50 split of people saying OP got his just desserts, and the other half saying that he wasn't at fault.

I'll be honest here, I'm not seeing this bandwagon you're seeing.

I'm going to give a player the benefit of the doubt when they openly admit they were silenced at first for toxic chat. They're not hiding it. They're openly admitting them made a wrong. That makes them more credible, not less.

Whether or not he was punished further for toxic chat remains to be seen, and Blizzard will usually clarify these things as they come up. In that case, fine... he was a toxic little brat, but that still doesn't change the fact that people can get reported for abusive chat, just by defensively counter-flaming inflammatory teammates, and those reports can be viewed as VALID when reviewed by a CS rep.

And I've personally reached the same boiling point that OP has reached without the ban... I got sick of hearing that every single match, every single time I queued up the game. I got sick of the reports that would be filed every time I had a bad game. And as someone who has literally been forced off of my main by the community at large (I can literally no longer play Widowmaker without getting reported), and shoveled into a flex role, I'm sorry but I don't actually give a damn how polite you are.
12/14/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Lucky
12/14/2017 03:11 PMPosted by Chaghatai
You were using Torb on attack, dropping turret fire and forget, and then flanking and getting yourself killed - no wonder they reported you!

Playing bad isn't bannable, and most people don't even recognize good play when they see it, and Fuey a top 500 torb often sets his turret and then does other things babysitting your turret is negating a lot of value of torb tbh.

Babysitting a turret is honestly the worst thing you can do once you're out of low gold, TBH. A good Torb is moving around the playing field. He's throwing out armor packs. He's using his turret as a distraction and securing kills through his primary or alternate fire.

That comment is proof that people report for idiot reasons, TBH. I'm not surprised. I see a lot of raging from really bad DPS players who are constantly dying, blaming the DPS who are actually accomplishing things. And I know who is constantly dying because I'm almost always on a healer in comp.

The major problem with the automated bans is that there is no easy way to appeal them. It is a toxicity enabling and loving device. There is no way to file a counter claim and get somebody banned for false reporting.

It's very sad that a system touted as being a solution to toxicity is one that encourages, enables and rewards it.
12/14/2017 03:01 PMPosted by CosmicGhost
intentional behavior to provide an advantage to the enemy team or a disadvantage to your own team.

Refusing to alter your hero choice to suit the situation falls under this category.

I don't know where people are getting this notion that Blizzard has said that one-tricking isn't bannable; they have made it crystal clear in the past that while they want players to be able to play the hero they want, the game is specifically designed for players to play several different heroes and not just one.

If you're one-tricking, you're not playing to the best of your ability. You are intentionally handicapping yourself, and by extension, your team. That's Blizzard's reasoning, and they are right to act on it.

Really, the problem is that the game isn't balanced well enough to make their ideal for how the game is played a reality. Heroes aren't different enough and there aren't enough hard counters to prevent players from being able to climb while playing only one hero. That's not the fault of the report system, it's the fault of game balance. It should not be possible to climb the competitive ladder by playing only one hero.

It's !@#$ty, but that's the source of the problem.
I main Torb as well--kill/death ratio of just over 11:1, and my stupid turret quite often dominates maps on both offense and defense. I play other heroes as well. Torb's pretty good on most maps, but not all.

The thing is, I don't bother with the extremely toxic competitive mode. I'm out to have fun, and the crazy toxicity that permeates everything in competitive play just isn't interesting to me. For those who actually enjoy that stuff, more power to you. I'm glad you're having fun. It's definitely not for me or, to be honest, any of my friends. If the Overwatch engine could somehow be used for a strictly PvE game (Titan, sigh), Blizzard would gain a ton of customers.

Blizzard doesn't have a clue how to balance this game, so I just pick fun heroes without worrying about it. Their single-minded focus on spreadsheets and metrics obscures their view of actual game play. It's unfortunate, but there it is.

As a result, I just enter quick-play games. The goal is to pass some time while the good folks over at Gearbox finish off work on Borderlands 3. Great shooter, PvE, zero toxicity, limitless gun types and much more. Sure, it's still a year, maybe a year-and-a-half away, but I'm patient.

I just treat Overwatch as a very average game with solid graphics. Something to do until Borderlands 3 comes out. That keeps it fun. Otherwise, there's no way I'd waste my time here.