Why is Wanting a Non-White Male Hero Such an Issue?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 Next
12/25/2017 12:27 PMPosted by Arccway

2 redhead (Moira and arguably Zarya)

I thought the Summer Games skins implied that Zarya's naturally blonde
Correct. Zarya is blonde, which makes Moira the only redhead. Yes, the Irish redhead is something of a stereotype, but the hero is handled very respectfully. In fact, she's a real badass.
12/25/2017 08:16 AMPosted by Snorlax
It's very likely that this forum is a huge percentage white people who don't really understand what being underrepresented feels like. The reason why it feels like "no big deal" to them is that they've never actually felt it.

Adding to that, tons of white people just get super uncomfortable talking about race so they just panic and reach for the downvote button

Over generalize more, racist.

(In before "You can't be racist at white people")
If the only thing that you can identify with or represents you is your skin color, sexual identity or preference, and gender, then you should step back and evaluate your life some. Then you will realize that you got quite a bit of privilege and time if these are the things in your life that is ruining it for you.
Nobody said wanting anything is an issue.

In fact this non-debate is a complete non issue.

If they come out with a well designed non white male character, great.

But I won't choose that character solely on that alone
12/25/2017 12:52 PMPosted by Ogrumz
If the only thing that you can identify with or represents you is your skin color, sexual identity or preference, and gender, then you should step back and evaluate your life some. Then you will realize that you got quite a bit of privilege and time if these are the things in your life that is ruining it for you.
It seems to me that it isn't the only thing they can identify with. In fact, in all likelihood it is but one thing that they can identify with and/or care about. So, when one talks and cares about one thing, it does not establish that this is the one and only matter in the world that they care about, but rather that it is a single matter of concern. One among others, if you will.

So, when someone says "I think it would be neat if we had a Native American hero", they aren't saying "we should have a Native American hero because it is the only way for me to identify with my roots and is the only thing I care about in this world". Rather, they are just saying "I think it would be neat if we had a Native American hero".
12/25/2017 08:03 AMPosted by xavvypls
I just found the reaction surprising. And this type of reaction to people who request diversity both embarrasses and dissapoints me and is the reason why online gaming is stereotypically seen as dominated by one specific race and one specific gender. But without going into politics I can't deny that in this day and age it makes a lot of sense, especially with the growing toxicity in this community..

Whats surprising about people not caring about race, but instead caring about character and integrity?

As a PoC, we have been fighting to be thought of by our character and integrity for generations, not our skin tone and posts like this just undo the decades of work we have put in. We are not some quota to be given.

Thats why it gets down voted by people of all tones. Because those of us who don't think skin tones matter are united and the people who focus on these things are divided.
I mean if we look at it so far we have gotten four new heros, and as it happens none of them have been white, so if people are legitimatly complaining here they are just proving the good old saying that nothing is ever going to be enough, and that is why you should not even attpempt to please them
I mean there is efi who created orisa they are kind of a pair together. But I wouldn’t mind if the new hero is a black female. I just they would give us new hero’s sooner. 4 months is long time. Also the lack of black females probably comes from a harder to design without making it seem like a negative stereotype. I’m sure they thought of one. But they probably want it to be a quality hero and they have to work from scratch. Theres not very many black female hero’s to pull ideas from. Just be patient :)
Trust me, someone asking for a white male character specifically wouldn't get anywhere either. Overwatch has so far did a pretty good job at keeping the cast diverse and Moira managed to cover up the only complaints i had with the human female characters.
This game is about different heroes and villains from all over the earth. They haven’t added a white male hero to the game since launch and I doubt they will in the future, I would love to see heroes or villains from any part of the world honestly even if they are white, brown, black whatever. I would like to see an Italian hero I think they could add a really cool Italian map it’s just such a beautiful iconic country IMO.

but any other country is fine with me especially if they come up with a cool backstory

I would like to them to leave the sexual orientation stuff out of it though unless it’s crucial to the storyline
12/25/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Shila
My ten cent, does race really matter? We are all people we are all human who share a difference in culture but as time goes on we are becoming more accepting of each other.

We have biracial and triracial people in real life. Eventually we will all be one race and the difference we share is our culture and beliefs.

Coming from someone forced to play the opposite gender for decades...and too often rescuing helpless females...and too often with hypersexualized versions of my own gender represented in the vast majority of video games?

Yes, it does matter. This reminds me of the wise words of a Facepunch/RUST developer in response to the outrage over players not being able to choose their gender: "We understand this is a sore subject for a lot of people. We understand that you may now be a gender that you don’t identify with in real life. We understand this causes you distress and makes you not want to play the game anymore. Technically nothing has changed, since half the population was already living with those feelings."
12/25/2017 01:48 PMPosted by SilkPenny
My ten cent, does race really matter? We are all people we are all human who share a difference in culture but as time goes on we are becoming more accepting of each other.

We have biracial and triracial people in real life. Eventually we will all be one race and the difference we share is our culture and beliefs.

Coming from someone forced to play the opposite gender for decades...and too often rescuing helpless females...and too often with hypersexualized versions of my own gender represented in the vast majority of video games?

Yes, it does matter. This reminds me of the wise words of a Facepunch/RUST developer in response to the outrage over players not being able to choose their gender: "We understand this is a sore subject for a lot of people. We understand that you may now be a gender that you don’t identify with in real life. We understand this causes you distress and makes you not want to play the game anymore. Technically nothing has changed, since half the population was already living with those feelings."
honestly if you have to look for confirmation in a video game you should probably go seek professional help, cause you clearly got issues, video games are nothing, just for fun, if you are taking them that seriously then its your own fault if you get disapointed
I'd take a million more "We need a new healer" or "We need more tanks" thread then I would, "I we need a character of my specific gender, race, and sexuality."

At least the first one is somewhat achievable. The second one results in nothing but further complaining. "This characters not a protagonist." "This character is too hard/easy to play." "This character isn't a good role model" "This character isn't blatant enough and isn't picked enough." blah, blah, blah, again and again.
12/25/2017 01:48 PMPosted by SilkPenny

Yeah, no. Whether it's Tomb Raider or Uncharted, you're still a badass raiding temples and finding treasure.

Gender changes nothing. Make Mario into Maria, and Princess Peach into Prince Pear, then boom, you have.. OH! The exact same game.
Because anything that isn’t a standard straight guy/girl is pandering, and anything that is is just normal.
12/25/2017 08:21 AMPosted by VMajoris
12/25/2017 08:12 AMPosted by ThisLoser
Why does the need to be represented by a shooter game matter to people? Is your entire life empty without meaning until there is a virtual character with a similarity to you? Why the hell does this matter?

Believe it or not, video games are an art form. They aren’t just “pew pew shooters”. Frankly, it’s about time the video game community isn’t seen as just 30 year old virgin men who play video games in their moms basement all day. That’s not what this community is, but sadly that’s what many people see people who play video games as.

Video games are another way for people to relate to something, to meet new people, to see themselves represented in media that isn’t prominent in other media forms. It might sound cheesy, but it’s true. And as time goes on, video games are more and more widely accepted this way.

They are ways to tell stories, to share imaginations of a variety of different things, to share ideas, to inspire, the list goes on. Overwatch isn’t just an FPS. If it was, characters wouldn’t have lore, they wouldn’t have background stories, interactions, personalities, (etc.). People like you look at this game as if it’s Call of Duty. It is far from that. The only thing they have in common is their gameplay mechanics, and even that is a bit of a stretch. It’s completely reasonable that people want to see themselves represented in a form of media such as video games, and a game like Overwatch is a perfect way of doing that. Gameplay is a major component, but structuring characters and building their stories, backgrounds, and interactions is another crucial component as it allows thousands of people to connect to that character that they probably won’t be able to do in any other media form.

It doesn’t hurt to open your mind a bit more, and shutting down arguments like this with “video games are just video games” is just so exhausting. 10 years ago, a wide majority might have agreed. But with the way video game companies are pioneering the industry (hi Naughty Dog) with their video games, it’s obvious video games are much more than that.

Video games trying to be more like other art mediums has completely ruined the game aspects of games. Here's a list of things games trying to be more then games has created.

1. Unnecessary motion blur to give games a more movie aesthetic, which results in muddled backgrounds and art assets for nothing but appealing to the non-gamer, art community.

2. Bloated budgets to get Hollywood actors to read badly written generic tripe, and do distracting mocapped sequences to give games a more "realistic" feel, which results in awkward animations and distracting face captures.

3. A complete neglect of how a game plays; the responsiveness of controls, the stability of the games code or connection to servers, and how enjoyable a games sequences are to play through.

All of these are things modern games which try to go for being "art" fail to deliver, and it results in terrible products which are forgotten quickly by the masses.

It says a lot about the value this argument that gamers and gaming needs to "Strive to be more then what it is". That games need to somehow prove to the rest of the world that they have value, rather then the rest of the world needing to wake up and realize the potential games have, when you see a blatant example of one such game completely collapse and fall into the quagmire of artistically inspired games.

When you have a game like Quantum Break, which strived so hard to be like a movie you play that it completely forgot to be an enjoyable game, fail. And you see a game like Mario Odyssey, which was as pure a gaming experience as one can get, completely crush the other games of 2017 and become a cemented part of the current culture.

It says a lot about what the issue really is. The issue isn't with games, needing to be more then games. The issue is with the people who want to paint games as being for basement dwellers in the first place, and feel gaming needs to cater to their tastes before it has any form of validity.
I'm confused, they say black women are underrepresented
Pharah, Ana and Sym fill that role which dosen't seem like a lot but considering that's two qualifyers you want and if you split those qualifyers apart you find it's a much more even split I fail to see the problem. You're asking for a specific 2 qualifyer hero just because you feel the need to play somthing you are exactly like

Newflash, I'm a white male, My main is a white woman followed by a black man and then what I assume is a white man but a mutant (Mercy, Reaper and Junkrat in that order)
Why? Because I don't need someone to be exactly the same, would it be nice if Blizz added someone with a visual impairment as a relateable character for me? Sure I'd like that provided they were a well written character. but I'm not going to force them to make a straight white male character with a visual impairment because I want to have a character that I can look at as a literal self insert, if I wanted that I'd write a bad fanfic.
Because people are sick of SJW hamfisting things into popular media instead of letting the artist display their visions.

When/if it makes sense to have another one there will be, until than keep it shut.
12/25/2017 02:17 PMPosted by AkACryomance
Yeah, no. Whether it's Tomb Raider or Uncharted, you're still a badass raiding temples and finding treasure.

Gender changes nothing. Make Mario into Maria, and Princess Peach into Prince Pear, then boom, you have.. OH! The exact same game.

Tomb Raider is such a great example. The first time I played it, I had Lara climbing up the side of a snowy mountain in skimpy clothing and when she finally reached the top, she did a patently ridiculous, girly twirl. I closed the game that moment and never played the series again. (I hear they got better, but no thanks.)

For those left out for so many decades, things like gender, race, etc. mean A LOT.
12/25/2017 08:03 AMPosted by xavvypls
I expect this thread to get a bunch of down votes after what I've read. But I honestly don't care, because it needs to be said.

Someone in the forums posted a thread simply asking if there will be a hero that relates to their race, since the particular demographic was underrepresented (black female). And to be honest, after reading it, the OP wasn't even inflammatory in any way. Yet it got like 80+ downvotes.

I don't know if it's okay to link another person's thread, but for the sake of discussion the title is: "Could the next hero please be a Black Woman?"

Blizzard is an active advocate of diversity. They talk about diversity all the time. So It's a shame how many people in their own community ACTIVELY down voted the topic with generic "Why does it matter?" comments. Especially in a game that promotes being Unique. In fact the most highly rated comment goes:

Why does any of this matter? As long as it's an interesting and likable character I don't give a [removed] if they are brown, white, purple, gay, etc. People focus on this [removed] way too much.

Which sounds nice, but it's a cop-out response to the problem the original poster was asking. It obviously doesn't matter to those people who say "who cares?", because they are already represented in the game I can assume. Otherwise, why even post in the thread? Why down vote? And why get upset over something that "shouldn't matter?" I feel like deep down those down-voters knew the OP was right, but dismissed her before their own guilt creeped in instead of going "You know you're right, we could use a _____ hero."

Meanwhile there are threads on the forums that request a new (insert eurocentric hero here), and it's well-received. What the hell is wrong with us?

I just found the reaction surprising. And this type of reaction to people who request diversity both embarrasses and dissapoints me and is the reason why online gaming is stereotypically seen as dominated by one specific race and one specific gender. But without going into politics I can't deny that in this day and age it makes a lot of sense, especially with the growing toxicity in this community..

My final thought: If someone makes a harmless suggestion about wanting a hero of a race different than yours, how about accepting it instead of trying to get angry that anyone dares to want some diversity they can relate to? As long as the game maintains gameplay, balancing, bug fixing, and all the mechanics that keep it fun, is it really that big of a problem that more cultures besides the ones you agree with are represented and does it distract you that much from the game? Just my two cents.

It's probably your alt account.