junkrats state in the game from a masters junk main

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
Highly Rated
please read before you downvote if you don't agree with me whatever that's just your opinion junkrat is a very mixed topic so I'm expecting lots of downvotes

i have played junkrat since season 2 on xbox then i swapped to pc in season 5 so if they revert junkrat i would still play him I've played him ever since i got the game (the xbox account on my profile is my bastion to gm smurf and that's why there's a 2 at the end of the name)

junkrat is one of the best heroes in the game atm aside from mercy but that's a whole different story so I'm going to address some of junkrats problems and some solutions:

mines: this is one of the problems most people with him because combined with 1 primary fire he can instantly kill squishes now he could do that before so don't act like that is new feature it is defiantly worse now that he has 2 mines a couple solutions would be too:

1. reduce the damage of the mine to 80 (originally 120)
2. increase the cooldown it takes to get the 2nd mine
3. remove the 2nd mine but in return make his primary fire more reliable
4. i saw a post about this earlier in the week and i did like this idea, junkrats mine does 80 damage in the air and 120 on the ground

rip-tire: again rip tire went from being the worst ult in the game (well i guess you could say that widow and orisa had the worst ults but rip tire was for sure down there) to one of the best if not the best (next to blade and visor) for how fast junkrat can get it its too good some solutions could be:

1. make rip tire charge slower
2. when tire is ran into a wall it no longer makes it quieter
3. junkrat takes longer to start up rip tire (he puts down the tire then pulls on a string to start it
up maybe he could pull on the string twice this could stop junkrat using his ult in the middle of everyone and him having to be more cautious with it)
4. rip tire lasts 7 secs instead of 10 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUicMFbsNok basically what I'm trying to say is that this stuff like this shouldn't be allowed to happen (granted there team was kinda bad i mean why tf didn't the ana sleep me)

if i see any good ideas ill make sure too add them in

You're in the general discussion, it doesn't matter if you're a junkrat main aware of how OP he is right now, low ranked junkrat players who have 0 clue how he impacts the game will claim hes balanced and downvote you

Junkrat should do 120 damage only if direct hit and 80 if not direct
Bomb travel speed should be increased to make it more reliable, something similar to pharah's speed, a bit lower.
Mine damage should be 80 and a bit higher internal CD, also radius reduced from 3 to 2 meters

This way you can still 2 shot people but you have to be ACCURATE with both bombs and mines, skill will be rewarded over spam.

01/04/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We have changes to Junkrat and Mercy going up to the PTR (hopefully) this afternoon. We've been trying some changes internally and we'll put them up so you can see what you think.

WE DID IT!!!! but is it what we really asked for?

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761108075#post-1
Like the rip tire idea. But not the second mine cooldown increase. I can even live with less damage than more CD
You're in the general discussion, it doesn't matter if you're a junkrat main aware of how OP he is right now, low ranked junkrat players who have 0 clue how he impacts the game will claim hes balanced and downvote you

Nice suggestions btw, i'd like something like this

Junkrat should do 120 damage only if direct hit and 80 if not direct
Bomb travel speed should be increased to make it more reliable, something similar to pharah's speed, a bit lower.
Mine damage should be 80 and a bit higher internal CD, also radius reduced from 3 to 2 meters

This way you can still 2 shot people but you have to be ACCURATE with both bombs and mines, skill will be rewarded over spam.

The nerf on damage ( as you won't get direct hits all the time ) and mine damage should nerf the ult generation by itself
You realize no matter how sound your reasoning the vast majority of Junkrat players will downvote you.

They were up in arms over pvptwitch's suggestions which weren't even as drastic as yours.
12/28/2017 05:42 PMPosted by Shunsui
You realize no matter how sound your reasoning the vast majority of Junkrat players will downvote you.

They were up in arms over pvptwitch's suggestions which weren't even as drastic as yours.

if you don't agree with me i really don't care that's your opinion
12/28/2017 05:45 PMPosted by SPGG
12/28/2017 05:42 PMPosted by Shunsui

I'm not saying I don't agree with your idea's just saying prepare for the outcry lol.
12/28/2017 05:46 PMPosted by Shunsui
12/28/2017 05:45 PMPosted by SPGG

I'm not saying I don't agree with your idea's just saying prepare for the outcry lol.

oh I'm prepared alright xD
EDIT: Salt
The problem I have with Junkrat is that he takes no damage from his own explosives anymore. Like it doesn't even make sense?

It should go back to how it used to be (letting him take damage from his own explosives) because there are too many kamikaze Junk's running around just spamming mines and bombs into everyone's face without any repercussions

Just my opinion!
12/28/2017 05:50 PMPosted by ItsHippo
The problem I have with Junkrat is that he takes no damage from his own explosives anymore. Like it doesn't even make sense?

It should go back to how it used to be (letting him take damage from his own explosives) because there are too many kamikaze Junk's running around just spamming mines and bombs into everyone's face without any repercussions

Just my opinion!

i disagree with that junkrats best counter was himself back then lol junkrat is designed to be played in small enclosed areas

Just my opinion!
I remember the days where every Junkrat was shooting a wall and killing them selves...those were the days. Oh and letting him chase you with rip tire only to lead him back to his own body. But Junkrat was pretty bad at everything back then, and Genji probably dominated more than ever.

But some will still argue it’s unfair because Pharah didn’t get the change...But if Pharah is killing herself, suggest she doesn’t stand in front of a wall.
12/28/2017 05:51 PMPosted by SPGG

Just my opinion!

i disagree with that junkrats best counter was himself back then lol junkrat is designed to be played in small enclosed areas

Fair point, however its the most op thing about him right now in my opinion.
He is free to get in your face and just spam explosives, perhaps letting him take damage from only his mines not his grenade bomb things?

That way you have to be cautious about when and where you use your mines but feel free to spam your grenades to your hearts content
My issue with mine doing 80 damage is it will make it impossible to get mine+frag kill if someone has any kind of healing. That means it will be nigh impossible to get that combo on Lucio, or anyone in his aura, or anyone Mercy is healing, etc. as they will only need 1hp of healing to survive. 90-95 is more reasonable, as it stops double mine, but allows for the combo to stay with some (though less) reliability. Trap will need to be buffed so the trap+mine combo stays however.

You can't remove the mine and make his primary fire 'more reliable' because the way his frags work are a core part of Junkrat's design. He has high damage, but low reliability, and the way they bounce makes him good at area denial, you can't just turn him into a ground Pharah.

Increasing the cooldown on second mine is also silly. It still takes a while to get, and he 'stores' charges, so if he uses both he's waiting 16 seconds. Lowering the cooldown on the second encourages him to use the his mines more frequently, so he gets them more often (since he'd be getting more mines per game than otherwise if he makes sure he's getting the shorter cooldown).

Making RIPtire charge slower is fine.

Making it make noise everywhere will be very detrimental to tire, people already know to look out for it when they hear the ult and if they can't hear it most people expect it to come from somewhere high. It's an ult, it's supposed to get kills.

He already takes time to start tire, and can be killed during it, and very few Junkrat's will ult without taking cover first unless it's a last ditched attempt or something. Making it take even longer is not a good idea, they actually made tire quicker to activate than it used to be because the long time meant he frequently didn't get it off (unlike Soldier, Genji etc.)

Why make it take less long? The longer he takes with RIPtire, the longer you have to find and kill him, or to split up and shoot tire. It's duration is not an issue.

Long story short, most of these suggestions are nonsense. Make his ult take slightly longer to charge, maybe nerf mine damage to 95 and buff trap, that's it. He's not OP.
please don't die this quick
12/28/2017 06:08 PMPosted by saltycoffee
You can't remove the mine and make his primary fire 'more reliable' because the way his frags work are a core part of Junkrat's design. He has high damage, but low reliability, and the way they bounce makes him good at area denial, you can't just turn him into a ground Pharah.

By that logic there would be no reworks ever, mercy rework? impossible because mass ress is a core of mercys design

Dva rework? Impossible, you can't just add random abilities and reduce duration of matrix which is dva's core part

If you'd rather have spam damage over a reliable junkrat that gets rewarded for aiming and hitting direct hits, you're just another junkrat spammer.

Junkrat's game design is terrible to start with, the thing is he was not reliable enough, now they buffed him in multiple ways, giving reliable kill potential in 2 mines, and there you have it, now people are just starting to notice it more, but junkrat's design was terrible even before, and extremely annoying to play against.

Wouldn't even be close a ground pharah, their kits are completely different, for the health of the game junkrat needs a REWORK, this is a competitive FPS game, spamming mindlessly and getting kills without even seeing your enemy or aiming at them shouldn't be a thing

Hell, I hate junkrat, but honestly if he was more reliable and his design rewarded aiming and getting directs, i think he would be extremely fun to play
12/28/2017 06:22 PMPosted by SPGG
please don't die this quick

Doesn't matter my friend. Junkrat mains just downvote and move on, afraid of posting too much so that they don't bump the thread.

But the tides are changing. Go back to when Junkrat was first buffed and check the ratio of upvotes/downvotes on posts. It was overwhelmingly downvotes on anything that even had junkrat and nerf in the same sentence.

Well, the tides are changing. It's getting much closer to 50-50%. Give it few weeks more, and it will break into positive.

In fact, I'm fairly confident that Blizzard won't make any major balance changes until at least some time in Season 1 of OWL. Since it would ruin the scrims for teams. And I doubt that they want to play the game on one patch and run OWL on an another.

Just wait. There is literally 0% chance that he doesn't receive major nerfs in next 2 months. Mostly to mines.
Wouldn't even be close a ground pharah, their kits are completely different, for the health of the game junkrat needs a REWORK, this is a competitive FPS game, spamming mindlessly and getting kills without even seeing your enemy or aiming at them shouldn't be a thing

Unfortunately, majority of people who actively post on this forum seem to have a huge problem with that statement. In fact, if they were to have their way with it, they would massively gut that part.

And btw, there's no point in entering a discussion with the user you quoted. It's a soft-troll who will only cherrypick things and won't even bother to read your post in its entirety before writing a response. Simply block them and move on. You'll save yourself a ton of time. I did.
Great idea, make him a troll pick again.

Add in invulnerability while using ult, at least make it a little safer for Junkrat to use ult instead of always dying.
12/28/2017 06:33 PMPosted by Mariox
Great idea, make him a troll pick again.

Add in invulnerability while using ult, at least make it a little safer for Junkrat to use ult instead of always dying.

Yes my friend

Because an ult that has a range of 130 meters and still goes off if the user is killed needs some more survivability buffs to the user of it.