Diamond Weapons

General Discussion
01/01/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Endlave
01/01/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Qendel

For the love of the game? To improve their skills? To find better matches than QP? There are many reasons besides golden weapons.

None of these matter to me. Comp may be the only game mode that has serious comps in it, but it doesn't make me love the game any more than the other modes do. Improvement of skills is trivial. Most of us reach their personal skill ceiling sooner or later. I haven't climbed or fallen higher or lower than 3100ish-2800ish since season 1. I am not gullible enough to believe I will ever get higher than that, let alone reach GM. Therefore, improvement of skill is nothing but wishful thinking. If they get rid of comp rewards one day, I might as well just quit because there is nothing for me to actually "do" or "aim for" in this game.

Heck, there barely is anything as it is, with there only being golden weapons and me having most of the ones I want already.

I completely agree. Competitive should have some sort of reward system other than rank: golden guns are just that. The reason I posted this thread was because I want another color other than gold. Some people don't like gold, and others already have a ton of golden weapons. I think it's about time for the dev team to expand the weapons category. And I like the idea of buying with competitive points because lootboxes are extremely unreliable in getting what you want. With comp points I can get exactly what I want with the regular "income" I make from playing comp.

Improvement of skills is trivial. Most of us reach their personal skill ceiling sooner or later. I haven't climbed or fallen higher or lower than 3100ish-2800ish since season 1. I am not gullible enough to believe I will ever get higher than that, let alone reach GM. Therefore, improvement of skill is nothing but wishful thinking.

Do you actually try to improve? Do you analyze your plays and try to avoid doing the mistakes you did before? Do you target your weak areas and pay extra attention to things you know you are likely to mess up? Do you ask yourself what you could have done to avoid that death?

If you blame your team for everything I guess it's possible to actually stay at the same SR range your whole playtime.

I started in low gold in s3 and climbed to mid diamond in s7. Might have gotten Masters also but the old sr system was keeping me in diamond (Didn't climb with a 60% winrate in soloQ). My awareness and positioning was horrible before. Now I know how to position myself fairly well on all maps and my awareness has improved. Improving is possible.
01/01/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Qon

Improvement of skills is trivial. Most of us reach their personal skill ceiling sooner or later. I haven't climbed or fallen higher or lower than 3100ish-2800ish since season 1. I am not gullible enough to believe I will ever get higher than that, let alone reach GM. Therefore, improvement of skill is nothing but wishful thinking.

Do you actually try to improve? Do you analyze your plays and try to avoid doing the mistakes you did before? Do you target your weak areas and pay extra attention to things you know you are likely to mess up? Do you ask yourself what you could have done to avoid that death?

If you blame your team for everything I guess it's possible to actually stay at the same SR range your whole playtime.

I started in low gold in s3 and climbed to mid diamond in s7. Might have gotten Masters also but the old sr system was keeping me in diamond (Didn't climb with a 60% winrate in soloQ). My awareness and positioning was horrible before. Now I know how to position myself fairly well on all maps and my awareness has improved. Improving is possible.

I am not recording my plays and over-analyzing them, but I know when I am outplayed and when I did make a mistake. And, as I get towards mid Diamond, I tend to get wrecked by my opponents while I hardly ever feel effective in my role anymore.

Sometimes I do blame my team, like when they insist for me to do stupid stuff I know will get me killed like "OMG, just get rid of that widow. It's your job!" when my personal experience suggests I will not survive a solo dive that far into enemy territory without support. Sometimes, when I feel like I contributed a lot, yet we still lose, I also tend to shove the loss off to my underperforming team .

But most of the time, I blame losses on my own shortcomings. Mostly due to my inability to decide when to switch or not. There is a fine line between staying on your better hero and choosing one you don't feel comfortable with.
For example, if Genji is causing me trouble, I could and probably should switch over to Winston, but my Winston play is not as good as my Dva play and I would be locking out anyone else who would have rather picked Winston to deal with Genji. Also, all the whine I once received during my Winston plays effectively shattered all my confidence in my ability to play him, which further drags me down, so I tend to avoid playing him which eventually might hinder my team.

You could argue I should be putting my time into improving my other heroes, but that is accompanied by toxicity I am not willing to face. Plus, there are heroes I just know I will never be able to play on a diamond and above level, either due to me lacking interest in mastering them (Torbjorn for example. He is simply boring to play) or due to the required effort into mastering a character not being worth the time it is needed to pull it off. (Widow, for example. She might be able to dominate games, but you would be spending months until you actually started seeing results in your play. Months filled with hate and rage from your other team members and a severe tanking of SR.)
Yeah I made a post earlier saying it would be cool to have "Prism" based weapons when you reach level 500 or something..
A reward system that gives you alluring recolors of guns that gets progressively better once every 100 levels. Or they can even do level 100 (Silver) Level 250 (galactic, It would be black and sparkle in some nebula based color scheme)... level 500 (Prism/Diamond) weapons that would look crytsalzied and epic and have a rainbow iridiscent color scheme and keep glittering like the gold ones)