Overwatch: Tracer & Pharah Contradiction

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
So I know that everyone is up in arms about Mercy's nerf and what not, but I wanted to actually air my thoughts on something that has been bothering me for a while.

..Something lore related...

BUT FIRST! Look at this.
Fareeha "Pharah" Amari (Age: 32 Years Old)
Lena "Tracer" Oxton (Age: 26 Years Old)

As you can see, Pharah is clearly older than Tracer by a good amount...

...With that said...

How in the world did Tracer end up in Overwatch before Pharah?

Seriously.

I get that Tracer volunteered to test the Slipstream prototype aircraft, but she was young! Most likely 18!

If anything, Tracer should have been a rookie pilot in the British Royal Air Force still building up a reputation to fly fighter jets, let alone be considered to join Overwatch and test experimental jets that probably would have been handed over to someone with more experience.

I get that she's a really good and fearless pilot, but she was Overwatch good from the jump?

That brings me to Pharah.

So if we do the math, Pharah was 24 years old around the time Tracer was allowed to test the Slipstream prototype.

Knowing Pharah, she jumped into the military as soon as she turned 18 in order to increase her chances of getting accepted into Overwatch. With this in mind, Pharah had 6 whole years of military experience, which is either a full first term or nearing the end of her first enlistment term (I had to use the U.S. Army info cause I couldn't find any on Egypt).
Fareeha enlisted in the Egyptian Army. Her dogged persistence and tactical prowess caused her to rise up through the officer ranks. She was a courageous leader and earned the loyalty of all who served under her. With her exemplary record, Fareeha was well placed to join the ranks of Overwatch, but before she had that opportunity, Overwatch was disbanded.

After leaving the army with a commendation for distinguished service, she was offered employment with Helix Security International, a private security firm contracted to defend the artificial intelligence research facility beneath the Giza Plateau.

This is taken straight from Pharah's bio from the official Overwatch website.

From reading this I can gather that:
- A) Pharah was a great soldier and ranked up very quickly.
- B) She was probably a very well decorated soldier.
- C) She was more than qualified to join Overwatch at any moment.

With all this in mind, the knowledge of Pharah's military service and the six-year age difference, years of service and military commendations taken into account.

...Could you honestly tell me that Pharah didn't deserve to be in Overwatch before Tracer?

It doesn't make sense how Pharah wasn't given the green light to go and join her fellow Overwatch agents...unless she was sabotaged.

...by Ana...

...who was the second-in-command of Overwatch...

...who was also her mother...

...who also didn't want her to join...

...Oh.

If this was truly the case, then maybe Pharah has more than a few reasons as to why she'd be a little salty with our favorite Egyptian sniper...outside the whole disappearing from her life thing.

If not, then Blizzard has some explaining to do.

Not saying that Tracer doesn't deserve to be in Overwatch, I'm sure she does, but Pharah has all the qualifications and commendations to join Overwatch and then some.

Feel free to discuss, but I really needed to get this off my mind.
It’s not only a matter of age. Tracer was recruited before probably as a side effect of her incident which brought Winston building her chest-toy. Pharah might have needed first to finish her job in the military in order to join OW.
I had a similar question about Tracer's young age but I think Tracer doesn't age normally due to her "chronal disassociation". Her accident with the slipstream jet made her disconnected with the normal time stream.
01/05/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Alexarius
It’s not only a matter of age. Tracer was recruited before probably as a side effect of her incident which brought Winston building her chest-toy. Pharah might have needed first to finish her job in the military in order to join OW.

Your probably have a point with that.

All in all, it's just something to think about.
01/05/2018 01:33 AMPosted by Scarmasta
I had a similar question about Tracer's young age but I think Tracer doesn't age normally due to her "chronal disassociation". Her accident with the slipstream jet made her disconnected with the normal time stream.

While that is possible, I don't think Tracer was disconnected too long from the time stream.

Plus, the chronal accelerator aacts as an anchor so that her molecules are stabilized and not phasing in and out of time streams.

Here's a question?

What the heck did Overwatch plan on doing with a jet that traveled through time?
There's a number of reasons that she could be in at a younger age. Reasons like aging weirdly, connections with Winston, Ana trying to keep her daughter out of danger. It's not exactly lore incorrect.
01/05/2018 01:38 AMPosted by EpsilonKey14
01/05/2018 01:33 AMPosted by Scarmasta

While that is possible, I don't think Tracer was disconnected too long from the time stream.

Plus, the chronal accelerator aacts as an anchor so that her molecules are stabilized and not phasing in and out of time streams.

Here's a question?

What the heck did Overwatch plan on doing with a jet that traveled through time?

Go back to find out who grabbed the last cookie from the cookie jar
You bring up a good point. We can see from examples like Mercy and McCree that Overwatch wasn't against bringing in talented young recruits, but Tracer's age has always nagged at me too. She had to be at the very least 18 when she piloted the jet. Factor in a year minimum to cover her reappearance, getting the chrono accelerator, and officially getting recruited into overwatch and she is like 19 or 20. That is young.
My best guess is Phara by comparison wasn't able to join because she had time to complete in the army, were Tracer was kinda in a unique position so they bent the rules.
Figures she gets favoritism even in the lore!

P.S: last bit was a joke xD
Age was definitely not the reason that Pharah wasn't offered Overwatch membership before it was shut down. As people have mentioned in the thread, Overwatch was more than willing to bring on talented people, regardless of their age.
Maybe Ana wouldn't let her daughter join?
Highly Rated
01/05/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Michael Chu
Age was definitely not the reason that Pharah wasn't offered Overwatch membership before it was shut down. As people have mentioned in the thread, Overwatch was more than willing to bring on talented people, regardless of their age.

Well looks like Pharah wasn’t very talented.
Isn't Tracer perpetually 26?

Can't Wait to see 10 minute speculation analysis theory video about this.
01/05/2018 10:35 AMPosted by kidsmitty

No.
my personal theory is that Fareeha wasn't able to join Overwatch because her mother, Ana, "always wanted a better life her her." thus rejected any possibility of her entering that form of lifestyle. it could be even deeper than that, but that was / remains to be my belief until something else is brought up by the lore.
01/05/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Michael Chu
01/05/2018 10:35 AMPosted by kidsmitty

No.

Will she stay the same biological age but her age number will increase? Or will we actually have a grandma tracer blinking around?

Wow now im thinking some conspiracy grade stuff
Well, we know Ana trained Pharah a bit, was that not enough to get her in? Or did she develop her present day skills (such as her accuracy in her comic) after Ana disappeared and Overwatch disbanded?
I don't want to point at the "elephant in the room", but she wasn't quite as "white" as the rest of Overwatch. I think the only (kind of brown) person in Overwatch, was Anna.
Reaper doesn't count, since he was in *gasp* Blackwatch.