Uhh, so I just climbed an entire rank through S8 placements?

Competitive Discussion
Hi guys, I just finished my season 8 placements today, and it's been rather weird. I'm a guy who's basically stuck in platinum for the past 3 seasons. I tried really really hard my first two seasons, but I still couldn't get anywhere near diamond. Ever since, I've sort of given up on competitive, and I just play the placements to get the competitive points reward every season.

So two seasons ago, I ended doing really bad on placements. Like 2W-8L bad. Partly because I just picked up tracer then, and probably also because I only played her that season. On my last match, I was basically playing with golds. But in the end, I was still placed in plat at 2500, down around 150SR from my previous season end. After that, I just played quickplay the whole time.

Last season, I improved quite a bit, and ended up going 9W-1L in placements. I began being thrown into games with a bunch of diamonds in my team, so I thought I must have gained quite a lot of SR. But in the end, I was still placed at a rather disappointing 2671. So back to quickplay I went, convinced that the placements had almost no effect on my rank.

Today however, strange things started happening. This time, I was again playing with mainly diamonds in my team, and a few plats here and there. I played okay, and ended up with 5W-5L. But when I went back into the menu screen to check out my rank, expecting the roughly same 2600 rank, and BOOM! I was suddenly diamond, and placed at 3089. Not that I'm complaining, but wtf? Last season I did phenomenal (I only lost one game because of a thrower on my team), but I only gained 170SR. This season I only did average, and I gained more than 400SR. And that actually means I've climbed more SR just by playing placement matches than I've ever done by playing actual competitive matches.

And by the way, when I was playing quickplay, I could feel that my "hidden" MMR was getting higher and higher as I got better at tracer (which quickly became my main). I was playing more and more with diamonds, masters, and the occasional GM. So perhaps that might explain the sudden increase in my SR? But linking QP performance with competitive performance is rather outrageous in my opinion.

I'm sharing this because I found it rather interesting, and I hope it would shed some light on how the mysterious placement matches worked. Maybe I just got lucky this season, but I highly doubt so (especially with my 5W-5L record), and right now I have totally no idea what's going on... What do you guys think?

tl;dr Been stuck in platinum last three seasons despite doing horrible in season 6 (2W-8L) and doing great in season 7 (9W-1L). Went 5W-5L this season and only played average, but somehow got placed at diamond 3089. So wtf is going on?
there is only luck, used to believe I was just placed at the rank I belonged to but after being able to carry multiple games and still lose I completely lost hope in the MM system.
01/08/2018 01:48 AMPosted by zero
there is only luck, used to believe I was just placed at the rank I belonged to but after being able to carry multiple games and still lose I completely lost hope in the MM system.

Same for me, which is why I only play my placements now. But then this season I didn't even do that well (5W-5L), and yet they placed me at 400SR higher than my previous season high? If it's luck, then I must have also done well to begin with. But nope, the placements system is just weird.
its utter bs honestly, i can perform better than all of my teammates in multiple games and still manage to lose because of them. But instead of saying that I have to say im not good enough and still have to improve because clearly im not performing well enough at my rank.
My guess would be that since you play so little comp your MMR moves a bit quicker than it would normally do as there's less comp data to go from and since you have most likely improved quite a bit from playing quick play (and tracer living a bit more in a vacuum that some other more team reliant heroes) those 10 placements matches were enough to push your MMR up to diamond level.

The alternative - that your QP MMR somehow got translated over - seems quite unlikely but I guess not entirely impossible if the game feels like it's lacking too much data.

In any case I would be quite tempted to crack on with comp if I were you - if only to confirm that your improvement from QP has carried over to your comp performance.
01/08/2018 01:45 AMPosted by richhardry
Hi guys, I just finished my season 8 placements today, and it's been rather weird. I'm a guy who's basically stuck in platinum for the past 3 seasons. I tried really really hard my first two seasons, but I still couldn't get anywhere near diamond. Ever since, I've sort of given up on competitive, and I just play the placements to get the competitive points reward every season.

So two seasons ago, I ended doing really bad on placements. Like 2W-8L bad. Partly because I just picked up tracer then, and probably also because I only played her that season. On my last match, I was basically playing with golds. But in the end, I was still placed in plat at 2500, down around 150SR from my previous season end. After that, I just played quickplay the whole time.

Last season, I improved quite a bit, and ended up going 9W-1L in placements. I began being thrown into games with a bunch of diamonds in my team, so I thought I must have gained quite a lot of SR. But in the end, I was still placed at a rather disappointing 2671. So back to quickplay I went, convinced that the placements had almost no effect on my rank.

Today however, strange things started happening. This time, I was again playing with mainly diamonds in my team, and a few plats here and there. I played okay, and ended up with 5W-5L. But when I went back into the menu screen to check out my rank, expecting the roughly same 2600 rank, and BOOM! I was suddenly diamond, and placed at 3089. Not that I'm complaining, but wtf? Last season I did phenomenal (I only lost one game because of a thrower on my team), but I only gained 170SR. This season I only did average, and I gained more than 400SR. And that actually means I've climbed more SR just by playing placement matches than I've ever done by playing actual competitive matches.

And by the way, when I was playing quickplay, I could feel that my "hidden" MMR was getting higher and higher as I got better at tracer (which quickly became my main). I was playing more and more with diamonds, masters, and the occasional GM. So perhaps that might explain the sudden increase in my SR? But linking QP performance with competitive performance is rather outrageous in my opinion.

I'm sharing this because I found it rather interesting, and I hope it would shed some light on how the mysterious placement matches worked. Maybe I just got lucky this season, but I highly doubt so (especially with my 5W-5L record), and right now I have totally no idea what's going on... What do you guys think?

tl;dr Been stuck in platinum last three seasons despite doing horrible in season 6 (2W-8L) and doing great in season 7 (9W-1L). Went 5W-5L this season and only played average, but somehow got placed at diamond 3089. So wtf is going on?

TLDR : you don't play a lot of comp and therefore the system has no data to figure out your actual skill rating.

Play 30 games and then you will come back with posts about your CrAzY SR swings of 800+ SR.

Play 100 games and you will realize that it takes a lot of games to be placed properly.

People that play comp a lot generally stay within 200SR of a range until they make some breakthrough on their skill/gamesense. Then they jump up a few hundred SR and float there trading wins/losses until they improve again.
Even if you played a lot in say season 3 but didnt play the rest of the seasons and just played QP till season 8 placements, the game would basically "soft reset " your comp mmr just cause of the inactivity in comp. Im hovering around 3.2-3.4k and on my Alt acc i got placed at 2882 altho i was "forced" to lose 4 games due to your everyday tilted trolls or whatever. But just because i've played only the placements on it for S7, if i go now and play the placements again and only the placements i could potentially hit 3.5k as well, since according to Oversumo and other sites 60-70% of my games are Master tier with certain heroes. Long story short, if you feel happy that you hit Diamond, just play it out now, drop completely QP for sometime and focus on improving from this point forward.
I want to tell you the story of my friend who didn't have your luck. So he has two accounts. His old account was like 1850sr the last time he played on it. He's been mostly using his second account for the past several seasons. He managed to get that accound up to plat and has been holding it at low plat for multiple season. Last week, he went back to his old account, and me and a few friends decided to do that account's placements before season 8 ends. So we 6-stacked for it. There was him, me (I rank at around 2200 but I don't play much) and 4 other mid to high gold players. Now keep in mind that this guy is a plat player. He is a platinum ranked player and we were a mostly gold 6-stack. And the placements went really well. We won one, lost one, won 6 in a row, and then lost 2. The guy played Rein, Zarya, Genji and Lucio. Those are his best heroes. And he didn't switch mid-game. If he was on Lucio, he was on Lucio the whole game. And you know what he placed? 1525. Even accounting for the past seasons of that account, this is still extremely low. And this is a guy that plays consistently at the platinum level. We cannot possibly understand how he placed over 1000sr below where he's used to playing. It just doesn't make any sense.
Do you only play your placements?
I've seen many experiments with placement matches. I've seen 6-stacks throw all of theirs on purpose (all playing badly on purpose, never touching objective, etc. etc.) to see how far they'd drop.

The biggest drop was 400 SR.

I myself gained 400 SR in Season 7. In season 6 I started to flex more rather than One-Trick Lucio. I fell from Low-Plat to Low Gold. By Season 7 I got better at two other heroes and basically only played Lucio, Ana, and Hog. During placements for Season 7 it put me from Mid-Gold to Mid-Plat. I climbed to Mid-Diamond that season.

Season 8 I barely gained any SR (And was nowhere near my Career High). I decayed from 3350 to 3000 in Season 7 because of work. Season 8 placements put me at 3087. I then climbed to Masters playing only Lucio, Ana, D.Va, Rein, and Hog.