Is there a reason for overwatch to take 94% of CPU?

General Discussion
Specs:

CPU: i5 7600k @ 3.8gh
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 16 GB

I had it first on ultra and then I switched to medium settings and the problem still persist. Although I still get 200+ frames but overwatch was using too much CPU and GPU

Anyone that can help?
Are your video card drivers up to date?
Nope but the video card drivers shouldn't affect the CPU now should it?
Devs have stated that Overwatch naturally takes up a lot of CPU, and that they recommend tweaking the options to adjust how much it uses.
because you're pushing your hardware to the limit,
please cap the frames at 60 if you have 60 hz monitor
you can do more than 60 fps if your monitor has more hz

if fps is more than 60 delay will be less, but there will be image tearing
on other hand increasing it too much will make it lag since hardware works more and more
Even with the I7-7700K overwatch pushes the CPU heavily, mostly its the physics engine from what i can tell.
01/07/2018 08:26 PMPosted by i3zOzDark

on other hand increasing it too much will make it lag since hardware works more and more

i suggest using 60 fps if you got 60 hz monitor
if you want less delay and don't care about image tearing you can run it at 100 fps
don't ever go above 100 unless your monitor supports that

i suggest just sticking to 60 fps in most cases
01/07/2018 08:31 PMPosted by i3zOzDark
01/07/2018 08:26 PMPosted by i3zOzDark

i suggest using 60 fps if you got 60 hz monitor
if you want less delay and don't care about image tearing you can run it at 100 fps
don't ever go above 100 unless your monitor supports that

i suggest just sticking to 60 fps in most cases
what resolution are you running at? and whats the resolution scale. If you're running overwatch at 4k with a 200% resolution scale, you'll see these kinds of results, because the game is acting as if the resolution is 8k, and thus needs more processing power.
My moniter that I play with is 144hz.

The settings are medium so I'm not pushing anything, my system should be able to handle it without maxing out.

I just updated the drivers and the CPU (watercooled) and GPU still hit nearly 100%.
I play at 1080p and tried it at 100% renderscale and I still got 100% Cpu usage and 68% GPU usage (I was in skirmish mind you)
01/07/2018 08:38 PMPosted by BlackLotus
My moniter that I play with is 144hz.

The settings are medium so I'm not pushing anything, my system should be able to handle it without maxing out.

I just updated the drivers and the CPU (watercooled) and GPU still hit nearly 100%.

It's because you are pushing out 200fps. That's a lot of work for a cpu to put out. And actually increasing the video quality puts more strain on your gpu than your cpu. If you are using a 144hz panel, cap the game to 144hz and you should see your cpu usage go down.

For example, I play at 144hz at 1440p with a ryzen 1600 at stock and usually get between 45-55% cpu usage at high settings. Only using a fury x so I can't go too crazy with visuals, but with a gtx 1080, you should be able to maintain a consistent 144fps on ultra... Maybe slight dips here and there, but it will likely be a pretty smooth experience.
01/07/2018 08:42 PMPosted by BlackLotus
I play at 1080p and tried it at 100% renderscale and I still got 100% Cpu usage and 68% GPU usage (I was in skirmish mind you)

Cap at 144fps. Put settings to ultra and then see what cpu and gpu read
Just tried that and the GPU maxed out (it literally got to 100%) during the player select screen before a match and while playing too.

The CPU had its cool moments but it got up to 96% too.
01/07/2018 08:29 PMPosted by ShadowDarter
Even with the I7-7700K overwatch pushes the CPU heavily, mostly its the physics engine from what i can tell.
Not true. I have a 6700k and my rig can run Overwatch at max settings in 4K without breaking a sweat. it's watercooled, but not OC'd.
Are you encoding something?
so much bad advice...

I run a Core i7 6700k - 4 cores, 8 threads.
You have an i5 7600k - 4 cores, 4 threads.

I use about 35% of CPU when running OW. The i7 is for sure a better CPU but the i5 is no slouch and MORE than enough to run OW. You should be using no more than 50% as OW is NOT a processor intensive app for a good proc.

Please don't listen to people about capping FPS or reducing graphics since all of those are GPU dependent and your 1080 is a beast. For reference, I run a 1070, 2560x1440 G-Sync 144hz all on Ultra settings.

There's something else going on... Specifically CPU related.
** Did you build your own PC? Are you sure your cooling and heatsink are mounted OK?
** Are there other tasks running in the background that's using the CPU?
** Do you measure CPU usage outside the game? That said, what are you using to see your usage? Task Manager - Performance tab should be sufficient.
** Are you sure it's just OW and not other apps/games using too much CPU?
** Is your BIOS correctly detecting your CPU?
get a processor with 8 threads. either 8 cores or 4 cores and hyperthreading. You'll use about half of that processor.
Yeah I'm using the task manager to measure the Cpu and Gpu usage on my second monitor and the taskmanager displays that overwatch is using 96% of the CPU and about the same with the GPU. Now the CPU is water-cooled but the GPU is not.

Edit: Even when I was on medium settings
What do you guys think about this?

https://imgur.com/lVmoC3Z