How do I climb out of gold?

Competitive Discussion
I made a Smurf last season that placed 2.7k SR. I played a few matches and only lost once.

On this account however, I find it harder to carry. I'm doing well, in my last game I went 49-5 and we still lost.

Help me please.
I think the best way to climb out a rank is to play the game more. Work on mechanical aim and game sense and carry your team.

If you don’t carry your team you probably belong in that rank. Another way is to watch popular streamers and learn from them.
Well seeing as solo carry is not possible unless you are pro level . Pray for good players. I went 80 and 6 on moria with 15k healing and lost.
Did you hear it , if you can't 1 vs 6 team , it means you belong in your rank.
Pros cant solo carry either , it is a myth
01/09/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Havok
Well seeing as solo carry is not possible unless you are pro level . Pray for good players. I went 80 and 6 on moria with 15k healing and lost.

and how many games did you do **** all and win. Because these even out although no one wants to talk about the games they did terrible in and won.
win more games, stop lying about your performance? Tip 1!

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/Grizzlee869420?mode=competitive
It's not about solo carrying or even carrying at all really. It's about performing above average for your rank and your role. Over time that above average performance will translate to more wins than losses because your team always has someone who is performing better than the average SR for that game.
It's not considered a "smurf" if you are still placed that low on both. It's called an "alternate" account.

1. If Tracer is your selected main, practice her in DM. Narrow down your sensitivity.

2. Stop flexing, this community thinks that you should be "flexing" to everyones liking. Do you have any idea of many random players you bump into in solo queue within comp? A crap ton.
01/09/2018 08:16 PMPosted by JamieNoonZ
It's not considered a "smurf" if you are still placed that low on both. It's called an "alternate" account.

1. If Tracer is your selected main, practice her in DM. Narrow down your sensitivity.

2. Stop flexing, this community thinks that you should be "flexing" to everyones liking. Do you have any idea of many random players you bump into in solo queue within comp? A crap ton.

I think people equate flexing with picking a hero the team needs when they only play 2 DPS heroes.

Flexing is actually picking what the team needs by having a good hero pool, at least 1 hero from each category. Personally, I can play 4 supports, 3 tanks and 2 DPS in comp. Of course, no one ever needs me to fill DPS, unless we get 3 mercy OTP. But otherwise, I do "flex" for w/e the team needs.
By the looks of your stats make lucio your main.
01/09/2018 06:39 PMPosted by PureRogue
Did you hear it , if you can't 1 vs 6 team , it means you belong in your rank.
Pros cant solo carry either , it is a myth

This is a contradiction. If pro's cannot "1 v 6" (solo carry) in GOLD, then wouldn't that mean they deserve to be in GOLD also?

Maybe I just misunderstood your statement.
Just play dps only and you will get out of gold in no time if you have decent skills. Playing support/tank in gold is a waste of time, because people have no idea how to dps there.
lately I have just said "SCREW TEAM COMP" started playing genji who I know I am able to climb with but cared about filling too much and when the team just wants to die over me going genji I leave voice chat put on some music and take the game more calm and Its helped my mood and sr
Got in mid platinum (played gold S7) with tanks and Zen. Tried DPS again - low Plat now. Switched to alt to practice dps more.
01/09/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Havok
Good luck, When you have perma lockers who barely get a kill the entire game, then talk crap in chat after match that he doesn't care because he wont get banned anyways. Yeah I lost trust and hope in this game. But you have to understand loads of streamers and pro's have issues with the game too. But nope blizzard actually encouraged perma lockers. Which sucks.
I got out of gold last season, mostly playing Moira. I just focused on not dying so much, trying not to waste ults, ignoring bad picks on my team and trying not to tilt. Just focusing on your own play instead of your team really seems to help. I can't dps very well, I play tanks and supports mostly. I enjoy Tracer but realised that I'm more of a gold level Tracer whereas I reckon I can get to diamond eventually on my better heroes.
I'm only low plat though so what do I know haha. Watch coaching vids like iostux/youroverwatch/unit lost though, they helped me quite a bit, plus watching back your own games and analysing why you sucked, this helps you stop making those mistakes.
Main thing though was just keeping a positive mindset and not tilting every round when something goes wrong. It still happens and you need a bit of luck with your teams, but I really don't think people saying 'only pick dps to climb' are right. Unless you are great at a dps then that's just not true. I'm way better with tanks and supports and I've been climbing steadily with those.
I suggest training with gold level friends in quick play and working on different strats then applying them in comp. I don't believe playing endless comp games is the solution as this can cement your SR and make it harder to climb (Note: Just my opinion).

Maybe set out 100 games for the next 40 something days left of season 8. Train for those games with the people you will play with on the different maps in quick play and then play through the 100 games. If you have 3-6 players then it is possible to dominate as you know where to be and what to do. If you don't have friends then quick play is your friend. Just 'add friend' for anyone you think is good and explain your situation. They are probably just as interested in moving up as you. The training is the most important part.
01/10/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Papa
I suggest training with gold level friends in quick play and working on different strats then applying them in comp. I don't believe playing endless comp games is the solution as this can cement your SR and make it harder to climb (Note: Just my opinion).

Maybe set out 100 games for the next 40 something days left of season 8. Train for those games with the people you will play with on the different maps in quick play and then play through the 100 games. If you have 3-6 players then it is possible to dominate as you know where to be and what to do. If you don't have friends then quick play is your friend. Just 'add friend' for anyone you think is good and explain your situation. They are probably just as interested in moving up as you. The training is the most important part.

Good tips, although I kinda disagree on the not playing comp but maybe it depends on your mindset/experience. I was a bit nervous to play comp games at first - it seemed like more pressure and the games were noticeably tougher a lot of the time.
I had often been playing in stacks with friends who are all higher rank than me, between mid plat and mid diamond. Those guys all take it really serious and it made me more nervous about making mistakes and things. Plus we would sometimes 6 stack which was just suicide tbh.
So I made an alt account (easier on PS4 I believe as you can do it for free) and just started playing tons of comp games without caring about my rank. I ended up getting higher than my main and got to plat with it, purely solo queueing. This gave me a lot more confidence to play ranked on my main account and I've climbed the same on my main playing less games than I did on my alt (about 150 games from low gold to plat on my alt last season, did it in about 60 games on my main with roughly the same SR difference).

Perhaps you're right that it can cement your rank though, I've not played long enough to really know I guess. Hoping that's not the case if you genuinely do improve your game. My experience so far suggests that if you improve and focus on your game you can climb.
01/09/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Toonze
I think the best way to climb out a rank is to play the game more. Work on mechanical aim and game sense and carry your team.

If you don’t carry your team you probably belong in that rank. Another way is to watch popular streamers and learn from them.

Nope.

You might be lucky to carry a few games as dps, but only teamwork and consistent wins with team strats will get you ranked up at this point in the game.

And I have watched streamers GM level get stomped by teams of golds.

It is a myth that you can solo carry your way up the ranks right now. You need at least 2 or 3 people in a group, and to get a few randoms on your side, otherwise if the enemy team has just a bit of teamwork, you won't be able to carry solo.

I don't care how good you are.