Thank you for Moira, Blizzard.

General Discussion
Title says it all. She's amazing. Love the character. Absolute blast to play with. Easily my favorite of any added characters, and likely my favorite now of all of them.

You guys probably read a lot of posts about crap people hate, so I just wanna show some gratitude for something I enjoy. Given the sheer volume of posts to read on here, I don't know if any of you will see this, but to the entire Overwatch team, with a little extra love to whoever had a hand in making her, thank you for Moira. I love you guys.
She's a ton of fun and my new main in comp.
12/14/2017 02:20 AMPosted by Wraice
Title says it all. She's amazing. Love the character. Absolute blast to play with. Easily my favorite of any added characters, and likely my favorite now of all of them.

You guys probably read a lot of posts about crap people hate, so I just wanna show some gratitude for something I enjoy. Given the sheer volume of posts to read on here, I don't know if any of you will see this, but to the entire Overwatch team, with a little extra love to whoever had a hand in making her, thank you for Moira. I love you guys.

My hate on her is not about Moira herself, but the way people play her. In the majority of the matches there's a battle Moira (I don't even know if this is a legit terminology) chasing me as Tracer ignoring her team. Personally, I don't mind low heal if there's a battle moira in my team, because I don't need her heal, but her mechanics are set very wrongly.

If Moira plays correctly, she can replace Zenyatta or Ana in low/mid ranks (given that Mercy is still deep in Meta), but rarely this is the case. Usually it ends up solo healing for the other support and a wipe fest.

Since the release of Moira, my average deaths have increased by 1.1 as Tracer, because my mates die more frequently or scatter to search for our other support or a health pack. I assume this is not a problem in higher ranks tho'.

However, in high ranks Moira is an absolute trash, given they can properly aim with zenyatta. Therefore, why is Moira good? She is never picked in pro scene and she is abused in low/mid ranks. I love playing widowmaker, but I don't pick her because of whining and the inability of my mates to coop with my ulti. There are a lot of people around playing proper hanzo, but they don't pick him because of this. Why these Moira players are different from instalock Widow/Hanzo players?
I love her too.

I also love Orisa though.. the only 'new' hero I can't seem to enjoy playing is Doomfist.

...he probably needed a name ending in 'a'.
I love her too, she is my new favourite character and I'm happy she was added.

I just wish they hadn't changed the way her orb works on the latest patch, because I like Symmetra too so the change made me sad.

It is such an emotional roller coaster...
12/14/2017 02:23 AMPosted by Alpha

Same. I'm around 31 hours now, with more than half that in comp. A few times have popped up where a change is needed, like stubborn tanks not changing to a D.va to counter a Bastion behind a Rein/Orisa, instead running Zarya/Rein and getting shredded, or needing a Lucio to get past a choke on attack.

Overall she's worked quite well for me after finding a nice balance of dps and healing. I fell into the bad habit of over-dpsing at first. Since I broke that habit, she's been amazing.
I really hate how much damage her orb does, but really cool character.
12/14/2017 04:03 PMPosted by Absinthe
I really hate how much damage her orb does, but really cool character.

It can be frustrating, but it's rather easy to evade. Just walk away, deflect it or eat it with D.Va or something like that. I think it adds some dynamic into the battles.

I like playing as Moira, I want to play more as her but I also enjoy it when they have a Moira in the enemy team.
<removed by Forum Moderator due to toxicity.>
Agreed, she's awesome. Love her flexible kit, and love her gothy design. 10/10.
I too, am having a blast with Moira. She's a ton of fun to play and I'm looking forward to actually attempting Comp here shortly with her addition.
Haha, I just saw a topic with someone complaining that she is OP. *rolls eyes
I enjoy playing her a lot too. And it is fun to figure out her tricks and strategies. (I only started OW a short time ago, so she is my only "new" hero)
Not sure if Blizz will see this topic, but I am sure they will see the hero pick statistics! I see a lot of Moira players, so I am sure a lot of people enjoy playing her.

I am bit afraid they will nerf her tho :S
12/14/2017 02:51 AMPosted by Night
12/14/2017 02:20 AMPosted by Wraice

My hate on her is not about Moira herself, but the way people play her. In the majority of the matches there's a battle Moira (I don't even know if this is a legit terminology) chasing me as Tracer ignoring her team. Personally, I don't mind low heal if there's a battle moira in my team, because I don't need her heal, but her mechanics are set very wrongly.

If Moira plays correctly, she can replace Zenyatta or Ana in low/mid ranks (given that Mercy is still deep in Meta), but rarely this is the case. Usually it ends up solo healing for the other support and a wipe fest.

Since the release of Moira, my average deaths have increased by 1.1 as Tracer, because my mates die more frequently or scatter to search for our other support or a health pack. I assume this is not a problem in higher ranks tho'.

However, in high ranks Moira is an absolute trash, given they can properly aim with zenyatta. Therefore, why is Moira good? She is never picked in pro scene and she is abused in low/mid ranks. I love playing widowmaker, but I don't pick her because of whining and the inability of my mates to coop with my ulti. There are a lot of people around playing proper hanzo, but they don't pick him because of this. Why these Moira players are different from instalock Widow/Hanzo players?

You're definitely not way off on certain points you made. There are alot of Moira players who play her in more of a dps role. I did the same thing, and lost more than a few games as a result. Now, I aim for about 1k heals per minute minimum. So if i have an 11 min game, I should have 10.5k-11k heals. 9 mins game, about 9k heals. I'm sure you get the idea. With that philosophy, I've climbed from about 2005 SR, to 2223 in a few hours play time. I don't blame you for hating the way some people play her. It's no different than an Ana or Zen who dps too much, or a lucio who's constantly running all over the enemy team and not healing his team enough. I know the Oversumo app is by no means a perfect gauge of how well you play, but when it regularly tells me my 2-3k heals per life is better than 90%+ of player sin my rank (gold atm) then I know that clearly shes being played in more of a dps role by alot of players.

As far as the pro scene goes, I'm not sure which patch they're playing on. If they're playing on the last patch before mercy's recent nerf, then that greatly affects things. Even post-nerf, shes still nuts. I think pros are still figuring her out though, so I'll give that a while before I use pro use as a way to gauge how useful she is. Not to mention, pros are pro for a reason. The way they play the game, vs the way we all play in solo queue or small group play, or even in larger groups, fact is, the vast majority of us do not play the way the pros do. Even if we play the same heroes in the same comps on the same maps, we just don't play the way they do. A good example is the fact that Symmetra sees basically 0 use in pro play, but how many times have you come up against one in regular comp games that feels unstoppable? Its not the hero that's incredible, it's the lack of understanding how to appropriately counter it.

And as far as the comparison to widow and hanzo, I think its the simple fact that people care less if you insta-lock a healer vs insta-locking a widow or hanzo, simply because there's soooo many trash snipers out there who occasionally have a good game or 2 and think they can just carry, but then they get countered right out of a game, but they think, "oh, if i just do this, or if I just get pocketed, I can kill everyone." Maybe that's true, maybe its not. To be fair, that mentality can happen with any character, but its much easier for a widow or hanzo to take themselves out of a game by missing repeatedly and not contributing as much as they could. That all comes down to the player needing to know when to change. Not just on widow or hanzo, but any hero. If you have the skill to land the shots, and you do, then screw the whiners who complain about your pick. Land the shots and shut them up that way, but always be willing to recognize when you haven't contributed as much as you could have, and use that info to change before its too late. I mean, I'm a terrible sniper, but I've picked the occasional Hanzo to take out a torb turret or Bastion on Anubis B. Certain situations call for those picks. Know what they are, and know when to change.

Moira is the same way. If you don't know how to play her, like over-dpsing, getting caught out of position, fading towards enemies instead of having it to escape, etc., then you're gonna do badly. All of these are mistakes I have made, and can still continue to make. The more I play her, the more disciplined I become, the better sense I have of where I should be and when, and the less I make those mistakes. The same goes for any hero. So I don't blame you for having that hate for her. When you see purple orbs launching towards enemies and you have 3 teammates getting killed, its hard not to hate the character. My advice is to try and do what I've done, realize that, as much as I've cringed in the past when I see an insta-lock Hanzo or something, realize that some people are really good with him, give it a chance, and pass judgement after they give you a reason.

Last note, if you seriously have Moira's chasing you when playing tracer, use your advanced mobility to make her chase you as long and far as possible. Pull the dumbass out of position and let your team kill her if you can't, or just give them a team fight where the enemy has 1 less healer. If someone is that dumb to chase a tracer like that, then let them. The more she chases you, the less she's doing her job and healing her team. Make her be that stupid Moira you hate to see on your team.
12/14/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Galev
Haha, I just saw a topic with someone complaining that she is OP. *rolls eyes
I enjoy playing her a lot too. And it is fun to figure out her tricks and strategies. (I only started OW a short time ago, so she is my only "new" hero)
Not sure if Blizz will see this topic, but I am sure they will see the hero pick statistics! I see a lot of Moira players, so I am sure a lot of people enjoy playing her.

I am bit afraid they will nerf her tho :S

I keep wondering that too! I keep telling myself, "I can't be having this much fun with her if she's not OP!" Everyone I know who plays her, or plays with one regularly, says they don't think she's OP. If anything, I think its just that the play base is still learning how to work around her. Like all the regular genji players who would think, "Oh look, a healer I can murder" who would dive me, then I just right click them to death while they frantically try and deflect. People will figure her out and she'll settle into her place in the game. Just keep playing her and keep track of what heroes give you problems so you know who to avoid, or who to pick to try and counter if the enemy team has a good one.

Does she really have to be your 'main'? What's wrong with flexing or playing literally any other characters? Y'alls mentality of 'ooh shiny hero i like it, i won't play anyone else' is so damn toxic and pathetic of y'all to do.
12/14/2017 05:05 PMPosted by Breezy

Does she really have to be your 'main'? What's wrong with flexing or playing literally any other characters? Y'alls mentality of 'ooh shiny hero i like it, i won't play anyone else' is so damn toxic and pathetic of y'all to do.

You're confusing "main" with "one-trick." Mains are heroes you prefer to play, but can play others if/when needed. One-tricks say "!@#$ you all, I'm playing this and nothing else." There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a main, but being a one-trick, that is where the real problems tend to arise.

Your lack of understanding of some basic terminology is, to slightly quote you, pretty pathetic. It's also pretty funny that you don't understand it, given your profile shows you have 80 hours as Sombra, as much as your next 5 or 6 heroes combined. Do you only play her? Or is she just the one you prefer, but you'll play whatever else you need to if she doesn't work out, or if she doesn't fit your comp? That's what a main is. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

Maybe you might wanna take a good look back at your statement if you want to see toxic.
12/14/2017 05:28 PMPosted by Wraice
12/14/2017 05:05 PMPosted by Breezy

You're confusing "main" with "one-trick." Mains are heroes you prefer to play, but can play others if/when needed. One-tricks say "!@#$ you all, I'm playing this and nothing else." There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a main, but being a one-trick, that is where the real problems tend to arise.

Your lack of understanding of some basic terminology is, to slightly quote you, pretty pathetic. It's also pretty funny that you don't understand it, given your profile shows you have 80 hours as Sombra, as much as your next 5 or 6 heroes combined. Do you only play her? Or is she just the one you prefer, but you'll play whatever else you need to if she doesn't work out, or if she doesn't fit your comp? That's what a main is. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

Maybe you might wanna take a good look back at your statement if you want to see toxic.

I understand the terminology, main and one trick are the same damn thing except the latter is more extreme. Regardless with that statement you fight to pick the character whenever you can. And I love your attempt to shame me for my profile! I really do, the only thing that you missed is the context! wow! lol what is that? I also think you might've forgotten to check my competitive playtimes for heroes also! But who cares about any real research as long as you can pull an argument out of nowhere amiright? And i know it's not technically said on my profile but I haven't touched widow consistently in about a year! Same goes with Ana & Mercy! Haven't played Symmetra like that since about the time Orisa dropped as well! And same god damn thing for Sombra. Played her back when nobody else would and endured the abuse and threats for it. I payed my dues, just not enough for some rando to come and try and pull out a paper thin argument.

I understand toxicity. And I understand pathetic mindsets extremely well, I know one when I see one and i'll call it out. I really don't give a damn when it comes off harsh, less so like now when it towards somebody tryna act condescending as hell.
12/14/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Wraice
As far as the pro scene goes, I'm not sure which patch they're playing on. If they're playing on the last patch before mercy's recent nerf, then that greatly affects things. Even post-nerf, shes still nuts. I think pros are still figuring her out though, so I'll give that a while before I use pro use as a way to gauge how useful she is. Not to mention, pros are pro for a reason.

I agree with you. Just a quick note about the pro scene: Overwatch league preseason was after the patch. Moira is the most consistent support hero to do damage. However, in that levels zens are consistent too. Moira cannot match zens dps in these levels and she is unable to heal effectively the divers. Mercy is still a must pick there, and she will never risk to follow the divers as long as her rez isn't on cd. Indeed, some teams experimented with Moira in Control maps, but not for long (after first death the most changed her back to zen).

12/14/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Wraice
Last note, if you seriously have Moira's chasing you when playing tracer, use your advanced mobility to make her chase you as long and far as possible. Pull the dumbass out of position and let your team kill her if you can't, or just give them a team fight where the enemy has 1 less healer. If someone is that dumb to chase a tracer like that, then let them. The more she chases you, the less she's doing her job and healing her team. Make her be that stupid Moira you hate to see on your team.

That's what I usually do. The funny thing about our SR (I dropped recently from ~2100) is that the majority of Moiras expect to rekt a Tracer 1v1 and they tilt when they don't.

Btw, just out of curiosity is there any reason that Moira doesn't have ammo to her drain click? It's not a nerf proposition or something, I just cannot see how it helps not to spam drain mentality over healing. Would a winston or symmetra like ammo clip nerf her?