Genji is not fun to play against in OW

General Discussion
See in heroes of the storm gengu is SOMEWHAT manageable. there are no health packs in hots and everyone gets the same los. If genji gets chunkaroonied, the damage stays there and he is punished for going in, but in ow he is the literal embodiement of !@#$ing cancer.

His dash is %^-*ing cancer. It does high damage or a quarter of my health, which doesn't require any sort of prerequisite whatsoever, it just does that much damage. So !@#$ me for playing what the team needs I guess. It doesn't require aim. You can be 10 pixels off and IT WILL STILL REGISTER. Genji is not an aoe, spammable character like jr, pharah and zarya so why does this particular skill get to play with aoe rules? AND It is fast af, so you cant damage him during it.

SO ITS FAST AND HAS AOE. ITS LIKE PLAYING AGAINST A PHARAH THAT HAS A GARUANTEED ROCKET THAT YOU CAN'T DODGE BECAUSE IT HAS 9999MPH.

BUT WAIT there's more!!! not only does it do damage at untrackable speeds, it's also a flanking tool so genji can do that HIGH DAMAGE ZERO AIM BUTTON and then get the first shot on you. NINJA POWER!

BUT WAIT it also doubles up as a free escape with unbelievably long range tacked onto it. So if your not quiet HOKAGE OF THE LEAF VILLAGE YET, he can escape every trade he doesn't win, heal up, and go back to the fight. HE HAS ZERO RISK.

That was just one ability.

what baffles me even more is his primary fire. He has retarded map wide poke damage AS A CLOSE RANGED ASSASSIN WHO WANTS TO DOUBLE JUMP+SHOTGUN+MELEE+REPEAT. from a mile away he can clip me with one M1 shuriken and one dash and WOOPS 3/4 of my health is gone.

Sorry thats not fun, HE CAN BASICALLY OUTTRADE YOU BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN GET INTO EFFECTIVE DAMAGE RANGE.

The last cancerous thing is his front invulnerable shield with no damage cap. IF YOU SOMEHOW MANAGE TO OUTTRADE HIM WITH 1/4 HEALTH, he can still press this still-more-skill-than-dash invulnerability button and wait till he can dash away. BUT LETS BE HONEST HERE, the invulnerability being frontal only isn't really a limitation since you are almost never going to see genji's back unless your on his team. and for crying out loud, not even zarya's invulnerability shield is as good as AN ASSASSINS SHIELD. and she's supposed to be a TANK.

Blizzard, PLEASE MAKE MEANINGFUL CHANGES TO GENJI'S KIT THIS YEAR! I WUD LIKE TO SEE HIM VIABLE IN TOURNAMENT PLAY AND FUN TO PLAY AGAINST ON LADDER. I CAN'T SUGGEST ANY CHANGES ON THIS FORUM BECAUSE I ALWAYS GET DOWNVOTED TO OBLIVION. THANK YOU OW TEAM!
Sorry to hear that.

I find him rewarding to kill and insanely fun to play as.

People who enjoy more things in life than others tend to have happier life. I hope you become such a person and have a happier life.
As someone who plays a lot of Mercy and Zen it is Genji's job to hunt me down and kill me, but overall Genji feels balanced I really don't get all these nurf Genji threads. I should be dying more to Genji then just about anyone else but he seems like he's in a good spot.
12/14/2017 12:26 PMPosted by pooch
Sorry to hear that.

I find him rewarding to kill and insanely fun to play as.

People who enjoy more things in life than others tend to have happier life. I hope you become such a person and have a happier life.

Genji is not fun to Play and to Play against with, His Kit & Kills are not Honourable one bit. His Deflect box and Hit Box has been 100% showed to be super buggy. there crazy amount of evidence that is not balance one bit. Sure he is a challenge but he takes a few games to learn and its like playing Easy mode without skill or a challenge and becomes boring to me. If you want Quick, easy, Dishonourable kills then Genji is that character. Now he's not OP, but he certainly has many advantages over 99% of the characters in the game.
I almost took this post seriously until you said genji's dash is invincible. Might wanna do a little bit more research on that. His deflect is easily countered if you predict when it's gonna happen. Even if he does dash away, he's not a threat at that point so I can't see where you're going on that front. Also if you're getting hit from a mile away with shurikens then you're either standing still or moving very predictably. Those things are as slow as molasses and can be easily seen coming from that far, unless preoccupied by something else. My suggestion to you is playing genji for a bit, and noticing these things for yourself. That's the best way to learn and counter your problems. Either that or play a character that counters him, I prefer the first option.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have posted here. Seems like just another vent undue frustration thread with all these downvotes, lol.
Have you considered that you just suck?

I have much less time played, main hitscan like you and have 0 problem with genji unless I'm on widow who he is designed to counter.
12/14/2017 12:26 PMPosted by SlothPaladin
As someone who plays a lot of Mercy and Zen it is Genji's job to hunt me down and kill me, but overall Genji feels balanced I really don't get all these nurf Genji threads. I should be dying more to Genji then just about anyone else but he seems like he's in a good spot.

He's in a good spot. Its just that feels matter more than facts. And feeling like Genji is unfun is usually a discrete way of saying you have a problem killing Genjis, specially on lower ranks. But i dont blame them, he has an "erratic" movement pattern, what with the dash, the wallclimb and the double jump. So he is harder to track and shoot down at than a Mccree or a Soldier.

Add the fact Deflect has an annoying factor of dying to your own bullets/ults the same way you a kid feels upset when someone grabs their arm and hits him with his own hand. "Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"
His Kit & Kills are not Honourable one bit.
welcome to the flanker archetype. you new here?
12/14/2017 12:51 PMPosted by DǶvǶa
12/14/2017 12:26 PMPosted by SlothPaladin

He's in a good spot. Its just that feels matter more than facts. And feeling like Genji is unfun is usually a discrete way of saying you have a problem killing Genjis, specially on lower ranks.

Usually the more Get Out Of Jail cards a character has, the less fun they are to play against. Genji has 4, the most out of any Hero currently in the game; 2 of which have no cooldowns.

As a Support main he isn't too hard to deal with for me. But overall I do see why Genji is just an unfun annoyance to fight against. It's not that anything he has is necessarily OP. It's just he has too much in his kit to the point where he doesn't need a team to perform decently... In a game with teamplay being the primary glue/focus for making things really work.

So he's essentially playing a different game. The lower the ranking, the easier his game is to play.
You have 136 hours on 76 in QP.

Put it to use.

Pick 76. Wait for Genji. Trigger him to use deflect. Kill or force to retreat Genji.

People underestimate how versatile 76 is. You can poke him from any range and make his life hell. He can't do the same to you without coming dangerously close. And even when he's close, he generally won't be able to kill you in your healing field unless you're standing perfectly still. Occasionally, he will manage to deflect your helix. But most of the time, he shouldn't be able to unless you horribly misplay. And if you do manage to helix him, fight is over. It's possible to easily kill him even without helix in a close range if you're used to how his double jump animation works. You can put ton of damage into him.
Welp, i guess Hanzo should`ve try harder to kill him in the past he would make a lot of people happier.
I like how when they were designing Overwatch, they decided that melee doing 50 damage was too much, but Genji having it as a resetable ability that can hit multiple targets while doing 1/4 of every squishies health he dashes through (gaining a fat slice of ult) is perfectly balanced.

I understand that he’s “fun and the most mobile hero to play” but the only people that think that are frequent players of him.

I want every Genji player to play support for a week straight and tell me that Genji is perfectly balanced.
Mei, Winston, that new healer, poopfist, McCree, torbturd, Reinhardt
12/14/2017 01:04 PMPosted by TwixSnickers
You have 136 hours on 76 in QP.

Put it to use.

Pick 76. Wait for Genji. Trigger him to use deflect. Kill or force to retreat Genji.

People underestimate how versatile 76 is. You can poke him from any range and make his life hell. He can't do the same to you without coming dangerously close. And even when he's close, he generally won't be able to kill you in your healing field unless you're standing perfectly still. Occasionally, he will manage to deflect your helix. But most of the time, he shouldn't be able to unless you horribly misplay. And if you do manage to helix him, fight is over. It's possible to easily kill him even without helix in a close range if you're used to how his double jump animation works. You can put ton of damage into him.

You’re missing the point. Forcing him to retreat is a 5-10 second bandaid at best.
12/14/2017 01:08 PMPosted by SnareToxic
I like how when they were designing Overwatch, they decided that melee doing 50 damage was too much, but Genji having it as a resetable ability that can hit multiple targets while doing 1/4 of every squishies health he dashes through (gaining a fat slice of ult) is perfectly balanced.

I understand that he’s “fun and the most mobile hero to play” but the only people that think that are frequent players of him.

I want every Genji player to play support for a week straight and tell me that Genji is perfectly balanced.

I don't play him. Never played him. I don't think he's OP or broken. People are just triggered by him.

And which support has a favorable outcome against any DPS?
12/14/2017 01:09 PMPosted by SnareToxic
You’re missing the point. Forcing him to retreat is a 5-10 second bandaid at best.

How is denying him space and preventing him from killing people a bandaid? If he's forced to run to his healer every second, that's good. He's not doing anything.
Roadhog is too hard because I can't land his hook

But when I play against him he's not fun to fight because he keeps landing his hook.

Nerf pls
12/14/2017 01:09 PMPosted by rrrreeeeeee
Mei, Winston, that new healer, poopfist, McCree, torbturd, Reinhardt

Genji laughs at Mei's freezing; Mei freeze is deigned to accentuate low mobility heros' lack of mobility. Genji can just dash away last second.

McCree can find himself in the back foot really quick with a well tomed deflect

Doofus is kind of bad, but is improving.

Reinhardt gets kited too easily to be a "Genji counter" plus Genji handily vaults over sheild to fire shurikens. If anything a great Rein vs a great Genji is basically a wash from my experience

The rest of the champs you listed do fine at giving genji trouble.
12/14/2017 01:10 PMPosted by TwixSnickers

I don't play him. Never played him. I don't think he's OP or broken. People are just triggered by him.

And which support has a favorable outcome against any DPS?
i'm a zen main and my favourite thing to do in this game is putting tracers/genjis (in plat most of them aren't very good) in their place. the ones that are better than me are a good challenge imo. genji is fine - he's not even as good as tracer, and tracer is only bordering on OP in high GM/pro games.

moira also dumps all over genji.

I've played/still play every support -minus mercy/ana(working on her) and have little trouble with genji's actually. I chalk that up to the fact that I main him and know his ins and outs. It's not like his dash is invincible regardless. If he's getting to dash through squishies constantly then it's not a problem with him. That's his job. Just like it's everyone else's job to look out for him.