Last year both Shimadas didn't get skins for YOTR

General Discussion
Maybe this year in YOTD they will?
You know, for the CHINESE new year.

IIRC, it would be downright disrespectful for them to get "seasonal" skins for that event.

Nothing stops them from getting more neutral ones for it though
Obviously they plan on waiting for 2024’s Year of the Dragon.
Pharah needs an amazing skin.
Least the Shimadas got some cool ones to be able to wait a bit more.
Yea....Chinese-Japanese relations aren't in the best of ways
12/21/2017 08:50 AMPosted by CamKitty

IIRC, it would be downright disrespectful for them to get "seasonal" skins for that event.

Disrespectful is a little far fetch don't you think? Japan doesn't hate the CNY they just don't recognize it an official holiday.

So I suppose it was disrespectful for Winston, Road, Tracer, Mercy, Junk, and DVa to get Chinese themed skins?

No?

Then why does it matter for them?

Because they’re Japanese?
Dva’s Korean. It seriously does not matter.
12/21/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Slyther0829

So I suppose it was disrespectful for Winston, Road, Tracer, Mercy, Junk, and DVa to get Chinese themed skins?

No?

Yes, because they are Japanese.

Neutral countries to their conflict are fine. Korea actually celebrates the chinese new year in their own way.

But those countries have some bad blood.

A little research would be nice
12/21/2017 08:54 AMPosted by LazyTitan

Disrespectful is a little far fetch don't you think? Japan doesn't hate the CNY they just don't recognize it an official holiday.
It's not the new year specifically, The two nations literally don't have good relations, even in the last decade their mutual hatred and dislike for each other has been building due to territory disputes
As much as I want something for them, I think giving two Japanese characters skins relating to a Chinese holiday could easily be taken as Blizzard being a touch culturally insensitive given the troubled past of the two nations and the shaky at best relationship they have in the present. Even if that wasn't Blizzard's intent, doing that could be opening a can of worms for the company and could end up with some bad PR so it's really not worth it.
12/21/2017 09:20 AMPosted by Error
As much as I want something for them, I think giving two Japanese characters skins relating to a Chinese holiday could easily be taken as Blizzard being a touch culturally insensitive given the troubled past of the two nations and the shaky at best relationship they have in the present. Even if that wasn't Blizzard's intent, doing that could be opening a can of worms for the company and could end up with some bad PR so it's really not worth it.
That, and besides, Blizzard is HUGE in China if I'm not mistaken. Definitely don't want to start some controversy with them
Why does any character that isn't CHINESE get a skin on a CHINESE event?!

Only CHINESE heroes should get skins for a CHINESE event.
12/21/2017 09:30 AMPosted by Monster

Couldn't bother reading huh?

12/21/2017 09:01 AMPosted by CamKitty

Neutral countries to their conflict are fine. Korea actually celebrates the chinese new year in their own way.

But those countries have some bad blood.

A little research would be nice
12/21/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Slyther0829

No?

I know this isn't recent but neither is the history of the two countries hatred been all recent as it dates way back. In WW2 the Japanese were horrible invaders who tortured and murdered their way into China and they did it in the most horrific ways and I won't go into further detail than that. So yeah Blizzard as a company needs to be a little more sensitive on this particular topic.

Other places also celebrate this Holiday (e.g., South Korea and Australia) and, as CamKitty said, neutral countries to their conflict are fine.

Japan is not one of these countries.
You guys want more content but you dont want some character to get skin. Ironic isnt it?
12/21/2017 09:20 AMPosted by Error
you are taking this very seriously.
While they focused a lot on the elements of Chinese New Year, if we want to be more encompassing it would be Lunar New Year. *Braces for down votes of being "PC"* I bring it up because of D.Va – she's Korean so, while Korean New Year occurs at the same time as Chinese New Year, they're different events.

Japan did celebrate it until 1873, but then switched to the one based on the Gregorian Calendar. They still celebrate the Lunar New Year it in an unofficial manner though. From my reading it's a little like Halloween in the US – there's a lot of traditions and things people do for it, but everyone's still going to work or school.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year

That all being said, there's no reason Genji and Hanzo couldn't get skins. Winston, Zenyatta, Reinhardt, and Roadhog all got them last year for the event and none of them hail from a culture that celebrates it (well, maybe Zenyatta as we don't know what the Shambali traditions are since they're specific to the Overwatch universe). That's not to mention all of the Epic level skins.
12/21/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Error

Other places also celebrate this Holiday (e.g., South Korea and Australia) and, as CamKitty said, neutral countries to their conflict are fine.

Ohh okay.

Do Germans celebrate Chinese New Year?
Indians? British? Swedish? Futuristic Scientist Gorillas that talk and carry around a Tesla Cannon?

Do they celebrate Chinese New Year?
12/21/2017 10:13 AMPosted by Monster
12/21/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Error
...Other places also celebrate this Holiday (e.g., South Korea and Australia) and, as CamKitty said, neutral countries to their conflict are fine.

Ohh okay.

Do Germans celebrate Chinese New Year?
Indians? British? Swedish? Futuristic Scientist Gorillas that talk and carry around a Tesla Cannon?

Do they celebrate Chinese New Year?
No, but they also don't have bad relations with China