Fan Map is proof that we need a fan-content system

General Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFIHR3t2iOQ

Watch that. That map, made by a single person, is proof that we need a fan-content system in OverWatch. Like the steam workshop. Its ridiculous to not admit such.

From skins, to characters, to ENTIRE MAPS.

THERE IS TOO MUCH CONTENT TO IGNORE JEFF!

Here is a couple lists:

PROS

• More content!
  • Less pressure on the OW team from fans demanding new content!
  • Stuff doesn't have to be lore friendly! It can even be changed later!
  • A new opportunity to be invested in the community, and ascertain their interests!
  • More Content, Less Work!
  • Fans will feel more involved with their favorite game.
  • -

CONS

• You have to code a voting system and library to hold these creations.
  • Said system has to be either in the game itself or in the battlenet client.
  • It might take you a couple days.
  • -

Thats it.
    You need to implement this. Cause otherwise, there is no reason to brag about having 50 million players.

For a game that is so diverse, and so D*** beautiful, it doesn't make sense. Some people may never make it to GrandMasters, but maybe they can make a dang good map, skin, or character concept. Why wont you let them be involved too?

Edit for clarity: This would not require source code being released. By fan content, please assume 3D models and Ideas. Not Mods.

Edit 2: Please add to the topic, instead of just saying you dont like this idea. Try to improve the topic by suggesting changes.
    Cons:

They have to release their source code. (not going to happen)

Fan made stuff is buggy often times. VERY buggy. Like, BEYOND BUGGY. (Look at mods for any Elder Scrolls game or mods for Don't Starve.)

Most fans have 0 clues when it comes to balancing.

They have to credit the creator, it's not their stuff.

Some things even risk wanting value for their creations.

So no, it doesn't need fan stuff.
    12/28/2017 08:21 PMPosted by DrgHybrid
    Cons:

Fan made stuff is buggy often times. VERY buggy. Like, BEYOND BUGGY. (Look at mods for any Elder Scrolls game or mods for Don't Starve.)

Ill address your concerns now. Firstly, NO, source code does not have to be released. You DO NOT need source code to port a 3d model. Im not talking about 'mods', which yes, are always buggy.

Secondly, Balancing will not be an issue. This is a system where blizzard can review fan content based on a community-vote, and then change things where needed. Did you read my post at all?

Third, how is crediting the creator a con? Actual Wtf?

Somethings do risk needing payment. So how bout instead of complaining about that, you add to the topic by suggesting a button where a person can purchase a skin with actual money, with a portion of the proceeds going to the creators? Vice verse dude.

Please bring a better argument.
    12/28/2017 08:18 PMPosted by CaptainKlue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFIHR3t2iOQ

Watch that. That map, made by a single person, is proof that we need a fan-content system in OverWatch. Like the steam workshop. Its ridiculous to not admit such.

From skins, to characters, to ENTIRE MAPS.

THERE IS TOO MUCH CONTENT TO IGNORE JEFF!

Here is a couple lists:

PROS

• More content!
  • Less pressure on the OW team from fans demanding new content!
  • Stuff doesn't have to be lore friendly! It can even be changed later!
  • A new opportunity to be invested in the community, and ascertain their interests!
  • More Content, Less Work!
  • Fans will feel more involved with their favorite game.
  • -

CONS

• You have to code a voting system and library to hold these creations.
  • Said system has to be either in the game itself or in the battlenet client.
  • It might take you a couple days.
  • -

Thats it.
    You need to implement this. Cause otherwise, there is no reason to brag about having 50 million players.

For a game that is so diverse, and so D*** beautiful, it doesn't make sense. Some people may never make it to GrandMasters, but maybe they can make a dang good map, skin, or character concept. Why wont you let them be involved too?

Deign is one thing. Balance is another. Map design is infinitely harder because you pretty much have to nail it on your first try. At least with heroes you can buff or nerf them and rework if need be. With maps, you very rarely get changes, if at all. Since launch the biggest changes we've had are a tree being added to one of the Ilios maps and the rubble on Eichenwalde. Yes, the team could do you review system like you're suggesting, but that's still having to balance a map. All the person has essentially done is made the models at that point.

I didn't buy Overwatch because I wanted fans to make it. Fan made content was the reason I stopped playing Team Fortress 2. I bought Overwatch because I wanted Blizzard to make it.

EDIT: Oh, and you can disagree with me all you want, but the fact remains it won't ever be a thing. So either way, you won't get what you're asking for.
    While I'd love to see them pay for the Cairo concept -- at a value roughly equal to the labor costs they expect would be needed for one of their own to concept the map -- and put something very much like it in game, I definitely don't think these rare diamonds warrant an obligatory rotation of fan-content additions. The concept itself is only a small, small part of the overall development time, and fan works are notoriously negligent of balance or implications of precedents set.
    I wouldnt mind....just dont put it together with official maps. Only let it viable for custom games. While at that they should give a chance to the creative creators to publish their own cosmetics into overwatch.
    12/28/2017 08:27 PMPosted by NooneSpecial

I didn't buy Overwatch because I wanted fans to make it. Fan made content was the reason I stopped playing Team Fortress 2. I bought Overwatch because I wanted Blizzard to make it.

You stopped playing TF2 because of fan content? Jesus dude, that makes me really sad. Its rather shallow to let that decide whether or not you play a game. That alone just completely invalidates your opinion on this.

ANYWAYS, to steer clear of that topic, If you look at those maps the creator didnt just randomly throw a bunch of cosmetics around. They obviously spent time to make sure a consistent design and playable map area was implemented. Its not like Those changes were huge, and obviously well designed stuff would be implemented over stuff that is not well designed. Minimal effort on blizzards part is obviously something good.

Also, I dont care if i dont get what i want, im saying it should be considered. Thats the least anyone can ask for.
    12/28/2017 08:37 PMPosted by CaptainKlue

You stopped playing TF2 because of fan content? Jesus dude, that makes me really sad. Its rather shallow to let that decide whether or not you play a game. That alone just completely invalidates your opinion on this.

ANYWAYS, to steer clear of that topic, If you look at those maps the creator didnt just randomly throw a bunch of cosmetics around. They obviously spent time to make sure a consistent design and playable map area was implemented. Its not like Those changes were huge, and obviously well designed stuff would be implemented over stuff that is not well designed. Minimal effort on blizzards part is obviously something good.

Also, I dont care if i dont get what i want, im saying it should be considered. Thats the least anyone can ask for.

You arent exactly okay with people disagreeing with your proposition, especially if you're picky about why they disagree. I'd say your guilty of being narrow minded instead of accepting there are those who dont want that.
    Cons:

They gave us map maker in sc2
    why not ow?
    12/28/2017 08:27 PMPosted by Hisaki
    While I'd love to see them pay for the Cairo concept -- at a value roughly equal to the labor costs they expect would be needed for one of their own to concept the map -- and put something very much like it in game, I definitely don't think these rare diamonds warrant an obligatory rotation of fan-content additions. The concept itself is only a small, small part of the overall development time, and fan works are notoriously negligent of balance or implications of precedents set.

I do agree, fan content is a tricky slope, but think about it. There are so many benefits after the fact. Im sure many content creators would be more than happy just to have their content shown even. The Steam workshop has done so for ages, and stuff that gets accepted that can be paid for, literally sends portions of proceeds to creators. Take warframe for example. Fan skins are a huge thing, and some creations dont even get added, but that doesnt stop the creators.

On top of this, this isnt just one diamond in the rough. There are THOUSANDS of creations already. Literally Thousands, and so many are just so good. Blizzard has shown their appreciation for fan content already by releasing skins based on fan concepts. Why not add a central area for all of these amazing things?
    Well, if it was implemented, we should look at this fan created content like TF2 does. TF2 has vanilla server options, and then there are servers dedicated to fan made content (jailbreak, prop hunt, trade servers, death run, etc.)

We kind of already have this with the custom game servers but to a lesser, more constricted degree. I'm all for fan made stuff entering the game, but there has to be a distinction between vanilla and modified.
    12/28/2017 08:41 PMPosted by Streetshadow

You arent exactly okay with people disagreeing with your proposition, especially if you're picky about why they disagree. I'd say your guilty of being narrow minded instead of accepting there are those who dont want that.

Yea im narrow minded. Ill accept that. But think about it, wouldnt you want an actual conversation about something instead of one dude saying, "I dont like it, therefore it shouldnt happen"? I'm not accepting that. I want to have an intelligent conversation for once in my life. With intelligent arguments. im tired of this "My Feelings are more important than facts" when it comes to things that need unbiased observations.

People need to add actual ideas, not complain about how it makes them more of a snowflake.
    12/28/2017 08:44 PMPosted by Nutmeg
    Well, if it was implemented, we should look at this fan created content like TF2 does. TF2 has vanilla server options, and then there are servers dedicated to fan made content (jailbreak, prop hunt, trade servers, death run, etc.)

We kind of already have this with the custom game servers but to a lesser, more constricted degree. I'm all for fan made stuff entering the game, but there has to be a distinction between vanilla and modified.

That's a very good point.
    you don't need to have 'source code' to transfer 3d maps and characters and stuff, all you need is a .obj or .fbx and a zip of png texture files

I am not a fan of the idea of Blizzard directly using people's models and putting them in game, as that's why theyre the best in the business because they have the best artists and designers, but I AM a fan of them doing something like a monthly or every 3 months contest where fans design stuff and they just do the student art contest for overwatch like they already do for wow and feature the winners each month or something
    12/28/2017 08:37 PMPosted by CaptainKlue

Mate, I had 1969 hours played in Team Fortress.
    I played that much because I enjoyed what Valve made.
    The second the game started being made by fans it went to !@#$. Cosmetics were stupid and meme-y, weapons were half-baked and had no thought put into them, and maps became the same generic crap pumped out as fast as possible with no thought of balance behind them.
    I had plenty of reasons to stop playing Team Fortress. And the main reason was the developers stopped caring about their game. They were done. They had been for years. Their's no quality control in that mess of a game anymore.

So that's why I stopped playing Team Fortress 2. I don't give two hoots if you think it's sad and it doesn't invalidate my opinion. Fan content ruined what once was the perfect example of what a class based shooter could be. Overwatch is now what Team Fortress 2 was.

And it's not going to be considered. Deal with it.
    12/28/2017 08:47 PMPosted by CaptainKlue
    12/28/2017 08:41 PMPosted by Streetshadow

Yea im narrow minded. Ill accept that. But think about it, wouldnt you want an actual conversation about something instead of one dude saying, "I dont like it, therefore it shouldnt happen"? I'm not accepting that. I want to have an intelligent conversation for once in my life. With intelligent arguments. im tired of this "My Feelings are more important than facts" when it comes to things that need unbiased observations.

People need to add actual ideas, not complain about how it makes them more of a snowflake.

Fair point, but the problem so far is, we are not talking about facts. You are talking about your feelings on fan made content and how it should be implemented. Other people disagree with their feeling of they dont want a game like that.

If there was a proof of concept, such as testing it in the PTR or some other way of beta testing fan made voted for maps, then yes, you'd be talking about facts as there are statistics to back up your claim. But as it stands now, its pure speculation, which is based on ....feelings. Your feelings on the matter lol
    Overwatch isn't like a Valve game where they designed everything from the ground up with player modding in mind, from the engine to their map creation tools to everything else

Giving players all the tools and means to make content would be a massive undertaking, to the point where they would likely have to delay all sorts of other official content for a very, very long time because they would have to put so many people on the project.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.
    12/28/2017 08:54 PMPosted by NooneSpecial

Mate, I had 1969 hours played in Team Fortress.
    I played that much because I enjoyed what Valve made.
    The second the game started being made by fans it went to !@#$. Cosmetics were stupid and meme-y, weapons were half-baked and had no thought put into them, and maps became the same generic crap pumped out as fast as possible with no thought of balance behind them.
    I had plenty of reasons to stop playing Team Fortress. And the main reason was the developers stopped caring about their game. They were done. They had been for years. Their's no quality control in that mess of a game anymore.

So that's why I stopped playing Team Fortress 2. I don't give two hoots if you think it's sad and it doesn't invalidate my opinion. Fan content ruined what once was the perfect example of what a class based shooter could be. Overwatch is now what Team Fortress 2 was.

And it's not going to be considered. Deal with it.

1969 hours. So? ive got 1078. I know people with over 10 thousand hours in it. Hours dont matter. The gameplay does. You stopped enjoying the game purely because you didnt like it, not because the gameplay was bad. Sure the hats are memey, or the weapons are random. What you fail to understand is that obviously, OverWatch is different. It also seems like you didn't try to move past these superficial values.

Team Fortress has ALWAYS been silly, never serious. Have you even seen the Meet the Pyro short? Like actually?

You want good content, you need to do it yourself. Dont just complain about it, try and make a difference. Go work for valve, rise to the top till you take over the TF2 department, and make the changes you want to see, instead of complaining about it on a forum for an entirely different game.

It SHOULD be considered. Deal with it.

I cant believe i need to say this twice in a thread, but bring an actual argument to the table with intelligent points.
    12/28/2017 08:42 PMPosted by KrakenKnight
    They gave us map maker in sc2
    why not ow?
    As far as I know they use Maya3D for their maps, they don't have a map editor made so everyone would have to get a 3D program and learn it before they could create maps, which would limit the amount of maps greatly.

12/28/2017 08:54 PMPosted by NooneSpecial
    I had plenty of reasons to stop playing Team Fortress. And the main reason was the developers stopped caring about their game. They were done. They had been for years.
    See, this is more like it, they stopped caring, that's a good answer.

But I don't understand why you would complain about fan made content unless you actually go and play on those server, I haven't played TF2 more than an hour years ago so perhaps I'm wrong, but unless they force you to play it I don't see a problem.
    Cons:

Bethesda devs meant to make buggy game. Also only modders work to fix the game's bug.