January 2nd Competitive Play Changes Now Live

Competitive Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Late last year I discussed competitive play changes that were coming on January 2nd after we got back from the holidays.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759648155

The changes discussed in that post have now been applied. Good luck to everyone in Season 8!
Highly Rated
So now only the top-10% of OW players are benefiting from a system that encourages team play.

Edit: changed the % of Diamond+ to 10 since I was corrected a few times.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Remove performance based rating for all please!
01/02/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Sofrito
So now only the top-25% of OW players are benefiting from a system that encourages team play.

Agree with this. A bit unfair at the moment still. Played around 15 games today. Full of trolls and leavers.
01/02/2018 02:22 PMPosted by UMHEYTHERE
Agree with this. A bit unfair at the moment still. Played around 15 games today. Full of trolls and leavers.

I lean towards removing performance gains for low ranks too, but let's not pretend it has any impact on trolls and leavers.
I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Again, I feel from Bronze to Platinum there needs to be a scaling system of performance based adjustments. This way in the long run, each tier teaches players different things about the game as they work to progress.

If there is anything else we need though, its that Guild/Clan/Watchpoint system to make team play in Overwatch really worth it!
Smurfs can get to their real rating faster when they have performance based SR at low ranks.
RESET MMR THANK YOU
So now only the top-25% of OW players are benefiting from a system that encourages team play.

There will always be trolls and leavers, many games have them even lol
01/02/2018 02:28 PMPosted by DrDinosaur
Smurfs can get to their real rating faster when they have performance based SR at low ranks.

Smurfs will get to their real ranking regardless of whether or not performance based SR exists. It would just be faster with it in place. This is not good enough of a reason to keep the feature contained to Diamond+.

EVERY rank should have access to a system that encourages team play instead of the current system that encourages squatting on a single Hero, all of the time.
01/02/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Enjoy2K
RESET MMR THANK YOU

I rather not see a reset in MMR. They did that in Season 2...

*grumpy cat face*

It was awful.
01/02/2018 02:31 PMPosted by WyomingMyst
01/02/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Enjoy2K
RESET MMR THANK YOU

I rather not see a reset in MMR. They did that in Season 2...

*grumpy cat face*

It was awful.

lol nope, everyone were boosted every season, they need to a system like riot games..
01/02/2018 02:24 PMPosted by FriendlyFire

I lean towards removing performance gains for low ranks too, but let's not pretend it has any impact on trolls and leavers.

While I hear what our saying I think it does. All it means now is that all these trolls and leavers will fall out of the high ranks... And where do they go... Lower ranks. That means a lot more throwers and trolls.
01/02/2018 02:31 PMPosted by NCalWiLdBoY

There will always be trolls and leavers, many games have them even lol

See my above post
Cool but where the mercy & junkrat nerfs
01/02/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Pulse
Cool but where the mercy & junkrat nerfs

i like u

I disagree with this. I noticed that mid-diamond people really start playing as a team, but before that people simply don't know how to play effectively. In other words, they need to get better at either hero mechanics or game sense (or both) before they're ready for situations that don't reward personal performance.
i.e. you did nothing for majority of players
So does this mean that the matches played from the start of season 8 until some point today were following the old SR guidelines?