January 2nd Competitive Play Changes Now Live

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
basically if you are below diamond. blizz doesnt care.
just get used to it. i mean realistically the majority of the player base isnt where their interest is. they only care about the top players & overwatch league.
i get it.
01/02/2018 02:47 PMPosted by eeth
I disagree with this. I noticed that mid-diamond people really start playing as a team, but before that people simply don't know how to play effectively. In other words, they need to get better at either hero mechanics or game sense (or both) before they're ready for situations that don't reward personal performance.

That's !@#$ing pompous self important garbage. When the game was designed to reward personal play in a team based game they %^-*ed up.
Why is there no hard mmr reset? Grinding was so fun back in season 2.. Starting new season at the same rank you ended makes the game boring and not challenging at all. Majority of players is making their placements or 50 games for top500 at last week of season, because of how stupid game mechanic is atm. Why not just made them grind it for half year straight(increase season lenght). If people were trying, there wouldn't be a problem that big of a problem with off meta one tricks making game not enjoyable. Thats the way they gain rank, people against them don't feel like trying their best so they basically give up and give them a win for free.
01/02/2018 11:04 PMPosted by Stormy
01/02/2018 07:44 PMPosted by Cenobite
Your system is still a shame for the videogame industry. I'm diamond and I keep getting paired with platinums, goldies and what not. FIX IT

You are low diamond, of course you are going to be paired with plats and even golds who que with friends. Just cause you are 60SR above plat doesn't actually make you better than a plat. A real diamond is at 3150+ below that it's just high plat players.

^This... stop trashtalking to or about plats when you barely hit Diamond. Scratching the surface of a new tier barely makes you eligible for the said tier. Im close to hitting Masters this season, but there's no way i'll call myself a "Master tier" player as soon as im 3500. I'll do call myself Master when im at 3700+ and can maintain it for a lot of games.
01/02/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Stormy
01/02/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Hegemoness
Okay, one question so far...why did I lose 30 SR my last match? These are all from after patch today:

3895 (-23)
3872 (-23)
3896 (+24)
3915 (+24)
3939 (+24)
3963 (+24)
3940 (-23)
3910 (-30)

Underdogs and favored to win >_>. I can't believe they kept that. Your team can be like 1sr above the enemy team and you will get less SR for winning than them just because you are "favored" ffs. I really dislike this system, it means you may not keep your rank if you are at 50% win rate, you can be very unlucky and lose more sr when you lose and gain less sr when you win and thus it won't even out.

They need to address this ASAP then.
Great work you idiots.
I’ve had a few good nail biters tonight, but the majority have been stomps one way or the other. A balance of roles has been a real issue. I think no matter how closely you match players in terms of SR, there will always be issues without some type of role select.
01/02/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Hegemoness
01/02/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Stormy

Underdogs and favored to win >_>. I can't believe they kept that. Your team can be like 1sr above the enemy team and you will get less SR for winning than them just because you are "favored" ffs. I really dislike this system, it means you may not keep your rank if you are at 50% win rate, you can be very unlucky and lose more sr when you lose and gain less sr when you win and thus it won't even out.

They need to address this ASAP then.
Yeah. If you drop PBSR, that means no favoritism, either, and simply a flat SR gain/loss rate of, say, 20 SR per game.
Any news for hero changes? Junkrat? Mercy? Maybe Moira?

the underdog thing shouldn't be a huge issue, the problem is when you combine it with the pbsr you have a larger variance in how much sr you can gain\loose, loosing double what you gain is definitely not fun

one thing they could do to help with the underdog variance, in addition to getting rid of pbsr, is a solo q, that way you don't get parties of potentially 1000 sr differences at the most messing stuff up, this is a thing in dota and it does help with the slight variances in mmr gain there.

ofc its not that bad in non solo q because does does not have pbmmr making the variance in gains\losses even larger.
I’ve been tracking my matches since the patch in case anyone is interested in how the new SR system looks:

3895 (-23)
3872 (-23)
3896 (+24)
3915 (+24)
3939 (+24)
3963 (+24)
3940 (-23)
3910 (-30)
3886 (-24)
3863 (-23)
3839 (-24)
3814 (-25)
3788 (-26)
3763 (-25)
3786 (+23)
3759 (-25)
01/02/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
Late last year I discussed competitive play changes that were coming on January 2nd after we got back from the holidays.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759648155

The changes discussed in that post have now been applied. Good luck to everyone in Season 8!

That's good to hear but is there any possibility that such improvements, whether partial or in full, will be applied to platinum or lower tiers later on where the majority of your player base resides? We feel like we've been ignored this season given the lack of changes, improvements or comments on future possibilities for those tiers.

It simply doesn't work well for heroes like Mercy where you're encouraged to spam resurrects with no consideration whether it was a good or bad resurrect (e.g. lost team fight). For DPS heroes PBSR is probably a good thing with the exception that it doesn't encourage teamwork, but for non-DPS heroes like Mercy it's actually a bad thing and is hardly surprising that more players prefer to play DPS heroes than non-DPS heroes.

While I don't imagine I'll get a reply, I live in hope that you're not ignoring platinum and below.
Does anyone know how placements will work now? I've not placed yet and now the changes are in play does that mean placements work of win now and not performance as before?
01/03/2018 03:27 AMPosted by Hegemoness
I’ve been tracking my matches since the patch in case anyone is interested in how the new SR system looks:

3895 (-23)
3872 (-23)
3896 (+24)
3915 (+24)
3939 (+24)
3963 (+24)
3940 (-23)
3910 (-30)
3886 (-24)
3863 (-23)
3839 (-24)
3814 (-25)
3788 (-26)
3763 (-25)
3786 (+23)
3759 (-25)

I was expecting something like +-23, good to know it still varies. Thanks for the info.
Mind explaining how someone high-plat doing placements had to vs a team consisting of last-season masters? We didnt even get to push the payload 10m....
But mercy is still op nice! Tbh it will be months before she is nerfed enough to not be a must pick. Too many mercy mains will cry about their hero being “unusable”
01/02/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Enjoy2K
RESET MMR THANK YOU

Anyone who downvotes this clearly knows, they are ranked higher than they should be.
01/02/2018 11:26 PMPosted by hacky
01/02/2018 02:47 PMPosted by eeth
I disagree with this. I noticed that mid-diamond people really start playing as a team, but before that people simply don't know how to play effectively. In other words, they need to get better at either hero mechanics or game sense (or both) before they're ready for situations that don't reward personal performance.

That's !@#$ing pompous self important garbage. When the game was designed to reward personal play in a team based game they %^-*ed up.

Two words. Elitist mindset. God forbid those of us in the lower tiers are encouraged to not hero-squat and play as a team. Because somehow that would be game breaking.
The performance based changes to SR gives many benefits across the board in all levels of play.

-Helps people get close to true MMR much faster, especially newer players.
-Helps re rank people learning a new hero to a more accurate rank. (obviously they will perform worse on the new hero)

In diamond and above people are rarely learning new heros, there is A LOT of pressure on people to play what they are good at. (unless that hero is symmetra)

Also in Diamond and Above the performance based SR gain already has you within <10% of where you belong so the need to get you there significantly faster is not as great.

Also the Performance based SR system was literally breaking on some players, for me, in season 8 I was playing only sym because she is my best hero. in 30 hours my account had a 64% winrate and i was not climbing because my stats were that bad. but i was still able to climb from silver to masters in season 3 on her. Basically my SR was too low and i was just beating up on guys in mid diamond.

If there are people with a 60% winrate (account winrate) that are not climbing after 50 hours of maintaining it(below diamond). Then maybe this needs to be expanded past diamond, but at the moment it is providing benefits and making games better for people.
01/03/2018 04:13 AMPosted by Fifty
01/02/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Enjoy2K
RESET MMR THANK YOU

Anyone who downvotes this clearly knows, they are ranked higher than they should be.

an MMR reset would just make peoples games really crappy for like 2 months.

Most peoples SRs, are like within 500 of what they should be, and unless you are winning over 60% of your games, the system is not the issue, the player is the issue.