I want to one-trick Hanzo, but...

General Discussion
1 2 3 30 Next
Highly Rated
Will i get banned (or deserve a ban) for playing Hanzo, and Hanzo only? I'm asking this, not only because he is considered a 'weak' or 'off-meta' pick by alot of people, but also because i have issues with aiming (poor hand-eye coordination, shaky hand). Despite this, i'd obviously still try my best to win.

"Why would you one-trick Hanzo if you know your aim is bad?"
Perhaps because i enjoy Hanzo as a character, and i should be able to play any hero aslong as i try my best? And who knows, if i play him long enough, maybe my ability to aim may improve
Highly Rated
Keep practicing him in QP and Deathmatch till you feel like you are pretty good with him

Hanzo is one those heroes you are either real good with and destroy the enemy or you can’t hit a shot and considered a troll pick
Highly Rated
If you contribute with your hero, no one will have the right to question your pick and no one can report you for it.

But if you pick hanzo and constantly die and become a burden to your team and contribute exactly nothing, then yes. They can report you for poor teamwork.
According to jeff just recently you can't be banned for one tricking, you can still be reported though for "poor teamwork" even if you try to the play the objective consistently because your team mates think it's "poor teamwork", unfortunate as it is it's something you should be aware about.
No no no. Remember? They said you can't be banned for hero choice! Why do you ask? Don't you trust them ?

>.>
I'd go with a group of people willing to train on a new hero, that way you guys can support each other. Practice in QP, too. Practice makes perfect.
I'd say if you know you're bad at him, don't bring him to Competitive mode. In quickplay and arcade however you'll never get banned for playing hanzo, go nuts! maybe you'll learn to overcome your poor aim eventually and be consistent enough to bring him to comp
12/15/2017 06:41 PMPosted by Dorognrr
Will i get banned (or deserve a ban) for playing Hanzo, and Hanzo only? I'm asking this, not only because he is considered a 'weak' or 'off-meta' pick by alot of people, but also because i have issues with aiming (poor hand-eye coordination, shaky hand). Despite this, i'd obviously still try my best to win.

"Why would you one-trick Hanzo if you know your aim is bad?"
Perhaps because i enjoy Hanzo as a character, and i should be able to play any hero aslong as i try my best? And who knows, if i play him long enough, maybe my ability to aim may improve

Don't "One-Trick" him, just main him. Play support if your team needs it. Switch if it isn't working out.
you won't get banned. people are more likely to report symettra/torb one tricks which might eventually trigger an auto ban, but it takes a lot of reports.

just prepare to be flamed by your teammates most of the time

12/15/2017 09:22 PMPosted by Variann
I'd say if you know you're bad at him, don't bring him to Competitive mode. In quickplay and arcade however you'll never get banned for playing hanzo, go nuts! maybe you'll learn to overcome your poor aim eventually and be consistent enough to bring him to comp

if his hanzo is bad then he'll just drop to the rank where his hanzo belongs in.
Hey, everyone.

I just wanted to chime in, because there’s definitely some confusion around one-tricking, and we wanted to take a moment to clarify our philosophy as a development team.

We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

We believe players should be evaluated based on their actions with whichever hero they choose. If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing. If a player is staying in the spawn area, refuses to attack the enemy, or refuses support those that are, you should report that player for inactivity. If a player actively refuses to play the map’s objectives or communicates to the team in a negative fashion, you should report that player for poor teamwork. If a player communicates in a hateful or harassing manner with ANY hero, you should report that player for abusive chat. However, if a teammate is actively trying to perform well on their hero and help their team, they should NOT be reported under any category.

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game. We’re continuing to make improvements to our reporting system (which includes, but certainly isn’t limited to making our false report detection more robust), and we will continue to pay close attention to players who are at high risk of being falsely reported and taking appropriate actions to prevent it.

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.
Highly Rated
Thanks for the info! It's good to get some clarification on exactly what is bannable and what isn't, as well as the OW team's overall thoughts about 1-tricking and hero swapping.
Highly Rated
Blue dropped the mic.
Highly Rated
12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen
However, if a teammate is actively trying to perform well on their hero and help their team, they should NOT be reported under any category.

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player,

Thank you Josh, thats good to hear.
Hey, everyone.

I just wanted to chime in, because there’s definitely some confusion around one-tricking, and we wanted to take a moment to clarify our philosophy as a development team.

We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

We believe players should be evaluated based on their actions with whichever hero they choose. If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing. If a player is staying in the spawn area, refuses to attack the enemy, or refuses support those that are, you should report that player for inactivity. If a player actively refuses to play the map’s objectives or communicates to the team in a negative fashion, you should report that player for poor teamwork. If a player communicates in a hateful or harassing manner with ANY hero, you should report that player for abusive chat. However, if a teammate is actively trying to perform well on their hero and help their team, they should NOT be reported under any category.

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game. We’re continuing to make improvements to our reporting system (which includes, but certainly isn’t limited to making our false report detection more robust), and we will continue to pay close attention to players who are at high risk of being falsely reported and taking appropriate actions to prevent it.

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

Thanks for clarifying!
Hey, everyone.

You've nailed just about everything people complain about.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but for all the people who use it as fuel to harass:

Could you confirm that Hanzo / Widow standing far off the objective, sniping the enemy, is perfectly acceptable, and not considered "not contributing to objectives"?

I often get accused of "not contributing" just because I don't stand on the payload. I'm still attacking the enemy, I just perform better from afar.
Thanks for an update on this! Can't wait to see 4 youtube videos on this!
Hey, everyone.

Thank you very much for coming out adn saying it <3 it is very much appreciated <3
I'd recommend "maining" him over "one-tricking" him, not that it especially matters. The key to whether you're likely to be reported, unfairly or otherwise, will be your consistent ability to perform across varying compositions. If you're team is uncoordinated but have more "in meta" picks, expect blame to be tossed your way whenever the actual source of fault is ambiguous.

Expect to need to be perceived as better than average in your game sense and personality to be able to persistently play an off-meta character across all compositions without facing significant complaint -- any of which which in turn makes the game harder for you to salvage or repair.
Hey, everyone.

This is well written, thank you! I hope this gives players a more clear view on what is reportable and what is not. As long as the person is trying to win I don't really see anything wrong with playing a specific hero, but if the person is negatively impacting the game on any hero it they should deserve to be reported. Quite frankly I find it ridiculous that people could be banned by report abuse for only playing a hero.