I want to one-trick Hanzo, but...

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 30 Next
All the doom and gloom talk just because a Blizzard representative confirmed what has always been their policy on this topic is quite hilarious.
12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen
We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

And yet that's exactly what your customer service team is doing, banning people for "abusive chat" when they've never even used the chat, or for "disruptive gameplay" aka playing Torbjorn. Meanwhile the most toxic individuals who even actively request others to false report people have total impunity, like for example xqc the OWL player.

If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing.

For the toxic scum of Overwatch picking a sniper other than Ana is considered "intentional feeding", regardless of player's actual performance. And your lack of action against OWL personalities who still refrain to false reporting for hero picks only encourages them to continue harassing other players. No, 2-day suspension is not a punishment. xqc should be permanently banned from OWL, if not all of competitive Overwatch - first for his ingame toxicity(total impunity so far), second for abusing the report system(2-day "suspension" is a joke), third for throwing matches(again, total impunity - and, to take the example of CSGO's steel, he's been perm'd from all Valve-sponsored events for throwing a single match) - all have been clipped during either xqc's or other people's twitch streams.

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

False again. If you decide to stick with your decision despite toxic scum throwing insults at you, you will eventually get banned for "disruptive gameplay". And if you're not a big twitch personality, banning whom would potentially hurt Activision's sales, any attempts at challenging the decision will be pointless and the ban will stick.

We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

That's not what has been seen in the last months.
Blizz: Teamwork is at the core of OW. Changing character is something you'll have to do to counter.

Also Blizz: But, if you want to one trick Hanzo and Torb, go ahead. !@#$ the five others on your team in comp.

You can say you're actively trying to win the match all you want, but if you don't change character to counter the enemy team, you can just as well leave the match. Getting so %^-*ing tired of people crying over not being able to play their one-trick or main. I love Junkrat, but try and branch of to others if I see him not working. I'm also the last person to wail on attack Torb and Sym, or someone going Widow or Hanzo, because maybe they'll actually work out well, and end with us winning the match. To bad that for the most part it all ends in a train wreck, and the whole match being 5v6 because of that one player that refuses to adapt.

So no, Blizzard, you taking a stance that !@#$ like this is ok in a comp match, where the one-tricks are a part of a team of six, is %^-*ing idiotic. That one trick just wasted 15 minutes of my life and the life of the four other players on the team. Want to one-trick, stick to Arcade and QP. Comp is all about winning, and if you one-trick you don't care about that.
I will never give a !@#$ about "rules" blizzard is giving us, if someone is one tricking and picking symmetra every game, even on KoTH, when enemy has like 4 counters, i will ALWAYS ask this Symmetra to change and if they dont because"im one trick" or now this dumb excuse"Blizzard said i can onetrick, and play whoever i want" i will dont care and still report them for poor teamwork, along with my buddies, we report these people daily basis, we ask them one whole round to change if the enemy have like 4 counters to genji(winston torb, etc) and they will still not change even when we ask him to do, or tell us why is he playing, if he is good or not, and he is staying quiet whole game, Instant report.

Anyway can someone explain to me what Poor teamwork means now???, cause apparently its not about switching heroes and playing how this game supposed to be played.

and now kids will say that because of some Blue posts saying that WE should build comp around these one tricks for example Torb, if we dont do this WE should be banned for poor teamwork??

This game is getting worse every month, Trolls and Toxic players get more excuses to do their work, and normal players are punished for trying to win.

If kids now will spam my games about " Blizzard allowed me to play X hero, so i can do whatever i want" meanwhile having no heals no tanks and 2 snipers, Bastion, Torb, i will probably stop playing like most of the people right now, or join them and TROLL, because i cant call this anything else than trolling

Also why did Blizzard add these yellow/red indications about " no healer,no tank" when "im one trick and i can pick hanzo even if we need heal/tank" ?? tell me please.
Blizzard, please ban Sveron, he just admitted he abuses the report system all the time and declared he doesn't care about your rules and will continue to submit false reports.
Then rework torb and sym to the point the community feels they are viable choices In attack mode. Imo it's really bad hero design in a game like OW having heros that are lackluster in attack and good in defence and horrible on koth. All heroes should have their role in a team, either if they are defening or attacking their role should be the same.
Hey, everyone.

I just wanted to chime in, because there’s definitely some confusion around one-tricking, and we wanted to take a moment to clarify our philosophy as a development team.

So what's the situation for people who want solid competitive game of OW? Because clearly it was meant to be competitive mode but apparently you've just stated that it isn't at all.

You created a rock, paper scissors system and when someone throws rock against paper over and over you, Blizzard, have just stated that you will happily believe that this person is "trying their hardest to win".
Hey, everyone.

Stevooo was unbanned and now we get this! I'm starting to have some faith in the dev team again!

It took a while so I want to see this play out in practise for a while for me to not be afraid that I will get disappointed again. But if you follow through with this OW will be in a much better state.

Wohooo!
Hey, everyone.

I just wanted to chime in, because there’s definitely some confusion around one-tricking, and we wanted to take a moment to clarify our philosophy as a development team.

We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

We believe players should be evaluated based on their actions with whichever hero they choose. If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing. If a player is staying in the spawn area, refuses to attack the enemy, or refuses support those that are, you should report that player for inactivity. If a player actively refuses to play the map’s objectives or communicates to the team in a negative fashion, you should report that player for poor teamwork. If a player communicates in a hateful or harassing manner with ANY hero, you should report that player for abusive chat. However, if a teammate is actively trying to perform well on their hero and help their team, they should NOT be reported under any category.

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game. We’re continuing to make improvements to our reporting system (which includes, but certainly isn’t limited to making our false report detection more robust), and we will continue to pay close attention to players who are at high risk of being falsely reported and taking appropriate actions to prevent it.

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

It took a while but that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you!
12/18/2017 11:27 PMPosted by AkiraHim
if they have the right to one-trick, I want my right to not play with one-tricks and play the actually switching-and-countering game

You do have both the right and means to do it. By 6stacking.
12/19/2017 03:24 AMPosted by Stalgrim

So what's the situation for people who want solid competitive game of OW? Because clearly it was meant to be competitive mode but apparently you've just stated that it isn't at all.

6 stack.

If random people don't play like you want them to then don't play with random people. If you go into comp with no team then you have accepted to be matched with people you haven't hand-picked yourself. The rules are to try to win, not to choose the hero your teammates bullies you into. So what you should expect from the teammates that the MM gives you is players who want to win. But you shouldn't expect 5 people who will instantly submit to you and make you team captain/omnipotent overlord.
Hey, everyone.

We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

The point you are sending across here is mute considering the beginning of your reply. By only this paragraph it means that one trick IS indeed a punishable offense (which IMO is the right way to go). If you try to not offend the one tricks or any other players of the playerbase with a half-met ruleset in place things aren't going to change at all.

A scenario when one players is one tricking in a game, and he and his team is losing, and at least half of his teammates agree that he should swap the character and he doesn't, it is enough reason to at least report him for poor teamwork. I don't get how you at Blizzard don't view things this way. How about when those same teammates swap their roles in order to support the one trick, and still end up losing ? Is it acceptable for 3 or more people to go out of their way and have their experience ruined because of one one-trick ? How is that ok in your opinion ?
You can't force good teamwork by bans. I don't know why this is so hard to get. Not playing the ideal way shouldn't be punishable.
You created a rock, paper scissors system and when someone throws rock against paper over and over you, Blizzard, have just stated that you will happily believe that this person is "trying their hardest to win".

But that isn't true. It isn't a rock, paper scissors game. "Counters" don't exists. Only hard matchups, which can be overcome by skill.
All of
Widow, Bastion, Symmetra, Torb
can kill all of
Winston, Tracer, Genji, D.va, Pharah.

Actually ALL heroes can kill/win against ALL heroes.

Just apply some skill. Which you get by not swapping off your hero the instant you see a slightly harder matchup on the red team.

I play against at least 2 of Winston, Tracer, Genji, D.va every game since I play Widow only. And then sometimes they take all 4 and add some more tanks. And then I shoot them in the head and win anyways. 60% winrate.

At this point Pharah (in the Pharmercy meta) is something I have the least practise against. Pharah just swaps off immediatly when I shoot her in the head 1 second after the game has started :/

Only when I get a Pharah main do I get to actually practise shooting her. And Pharah is one of the hardest heroes to hit and Widow is basically as stationary as bastion while scoping so it really isn't a duel favourable for Widow in many cases. And Pharah have best mobility in the game and can easily get inside Widows ineffective range.

So stop thinking about "counters" and start thinking about what the player can do with their individual skills on their hero pool.
Tired of trying to fill and build at least acceptable team comp (not ideal, just acceptable, you know tank, healer, maybe even two), being solo heal in half of matches, but hooray, one-tricks can continue not swapping...
12/19/2017 03:54 AMPosted by Qon

But that isn't true. It isn't a rock, paper scissors game. "Counters" don't exists. Only hard matchups, which can be overcome by skill.
All of
Widow, Bastion, Symmetra, Torb
can kill all of
Winston, Tracer, Genji, D.va, Pharah.

Actually ALL heroes can kill/win against ALL heroes.

Just apply some skill. Which you get by not swapping off your hero the instant you see a slightly harder matchup on the red team.

I play against at least 2 of Winston, Tracer, Genji, D.va every game since I play Widow only. And then sometimes they take all 4 and add some more tanks. And then I shoot them in the head and win anyways. 60% winrate.

At this point Pharah (in the Pharmercy meta) is something I have the least practise against. Pharah just swaps off immediatly when I shoot her in the head 1 second after the game has started :/

Only when I get a Pharah main do I get to actually practise shooting her. And Pharah is one of the hardest heroes to hit and Widow is basically as stationary as bastion while scoping so it really isn't a duel favourable for Widow in many cases. And Pharah have best mobility in the game and can easily get inside Widows ineffective range.

So stop thinking about "counters" and start thinking about what the player can do with their individual skills on their hero pool.

You dont understand this simple fact:

Some heroes can win games by existing.

This game is poorly balanced around Skill floor, some heroes like Junk can win/contribute to games even if you stay in one position and spam bombs at chokes, while other heroes needs mechanical aim/skill or to sneak up behind enemy and kill healer risking to get killed

So, based on this, most of people want in their games heroes that everyone can do good on them and less skilefull heroes, We know that some people can carry games as "off-meta" heroes but its alwas safer to pick someone who is really easy to play and still contribute to team instead of someone like Widow who is aim based and is dependent on Skill of the player.

and Also there is a thing that if someone is playing X hero, which needs skill, you get blamed for playing him because most of people dont trust these pick, because they dont know how good you are, and if enemy is having counters to you, you will get even more hate

you play as hero that needs mechanical skill/positioning = people will be toxic to you cause you should be playing easier hero, and if they even have a counter to you, the toxicity multiplies.
You want to contest with Hanzo? Then do it!

For that reason Overwatch has ranking (Bronze/Silver/Gold/...). If you are not good with Hanzo you will be placed at lower rank, but that's the target, so everyone should play what she/he wants.

The only thing is.... if you play competitive and someone picks Hanzo then you shouldn't leave the match. Then it's all fine.
12/18/2017 10:59 PMPosted by MoonBurst

If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing. .

What happens in the case where my team demands that I play a character I know I can't play?
I got put into a team with a 5 stack, and they demanded I play Mercy. I then explained to him "I'll do it if you want, but I'm not going to be able to do the job and I really think I'd do better as the character I'm on."
They insisted still, and I DID play Mercy. But as I explained, I couldn't do so and was accused of throwing.

So what happens when my team demands I play a character, but since I'm know it won't work, IS that throwing?

you just don't play it lol. You stick to something you know how to play and are comfortable playing.
Hey, everyone.

We believe players should be evaluated based on their actions with whichever hero they choose. If a player disrupts their team by intentionally feeding with ANY hero, you should report that player for griefing. If a player is staying in the spawn area, refuses to attack the enemy, or refuses support those that are, you should report that player for inactivity. If a player actively refuses to play the map’s objectives or communicates to the team in a negative fashion, you should report that player for poor teamwork. If a player communicates in a hateful or harassing manner with ANY hero, you should report that player for abusive chat. However, if a teammate is actively trying to perform well on their hero and help their team, they should NOT be reported under any category.

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game. We’re continuing to make improvements to our reporting system (which includes, but certainly isn’t limited to making our false report detection more robust), and we will continue to pay close attention to players who are at high risk of being falsely reported and taking appropriate actions to prevent it.

And this is why your games competitive and esports scene is considered a joke. BRB gunna play pistol only mercy as a onetrick, but as long as I'm trying my hardest I can't be banned thanks blizzard!:)
I see the problem people having with noticing the difference between someone who genuinely trying their best, but just plays poorly, or someone deliberately throwing.
Thats an issue in theory, but in praxis not so much.
Someone who is griefing usually does it to punish their teammates and get back at them, because they are triggered, or just enjoy trolling.
They will let you know. I had people even straight up admit on voice that they are going to throw.
Even if someone pretends to give their best, but intend to throw, then that will be noticable. Like mentioned in the report categories, doing things such as:
- being inactive
- not playing the objective
- doing emotes mid game
- not shooting the enemy
- not using abilities
- intentionally using abilities to grief teammates (Mei icewalls in spawn, Symm tele on cliffs etc)
- generally being toxic in chat

These things are still reportable and should be reported. What you cant do and shouldnt is report the player who picks Symm on attack, just because you dont like Symm on attack.