I want to one-trick Hanzo, but...

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 30 Next
12/19/2017 06:51 AMPosted by D3LT4
12/19/2017 06:47 AMPosted by Vill

Most people would suck it up and accept the loss. If you're skill is truly greater than the Torb main, you should quickly distance yourself in SR and no longer encounter them in games.

Also, just saying, the scenario you described entails a Torb playing fairly poorly. It would be better much smarter for him to attempt flanking with a turret when his team attempts to make a push thereby securing the point for their advance since the enemy team is covering the choke.

Anything works when we're talking about hypothetical scenarios!

then you're not familiar with performance based SR system. Since that torb player is playing a hero that is rarely picked, he has a higher chance of performing better than average in comparison to other players with that hero. And the game will reward him with more SR for winning and less Sr decay for losing. To give an example, we had a top 10 player who one tricked symmetra and had a 58% winrate. If you check top 10 players and their winrates, they all had winrates of 65 and above. Top 3 have around 80% winrate. But this one guy managed to reach top 10 because he performed better than most symmetra players and even though his winrate was considerably lower than the rest of the top 10 players, he stayed there.

This is why i said that I'm hoping this Performance based SR removal is enough.

You described a scenario in which the torb preforms very poorly, meaning they would lose more SR. I'm sure you played expertly in that scenario despite the loss, so you would lose less SR.

In subsequent games, your performance would continue to be at an expert level and you would rise in the ranks whereas the Torb OTP would play decently in some situations and very poorly as you can described in others resulting in the staying at the same SR or declining over time.

Hypothetical scenarios are flawed.
then you're not familiar with performance based SR system. Since that torb player is playing a hero that is rarely picked, he has a higher chance of performing better than average in comparison to other players with that hero. And the game will reward him with more SR for winning and less Sr decay for losing. To give an example, we had a top 10 player who one tricked symmetra and had a 58% winrate.

That's not how SR works on Torb and Sym at all, especially Sym. Their average stats are very high because they are mostly picked in the situations they are strongest, namely defending point A. And players who use Symmetra outside of first point defense are also punished because only the teleporter counts for SR bonus and the Shield generator does not.
12/19/2017 06:38 AMPosted by Vill
12/19/2017 06:32 AMPosted by D3LT4
So, it's ok to one trick. Reporting them or saying anything to them in game is considered to be harassment. Which means, one player can pick whatever they want, whether it works with the team or not, whether the enemy is countering it or not and stick with it, even if they contribute nothing, simply because they're trying their best. In a game DESIGNED to enforce hero swaps.

And your only option is to work around that one trick to even have a chance of winning.

Or even worse, playing with 3 or 4 one tricks at once and being forced to play a game with a solo healer and no tanks and KNOWING that there's no chance of winning. When selfish behavior in a teambased game is being promoted and encouraged, without any side-effects or punishments, there is no hope for competitive.

I just hope that performance based SR removal is enough to fix this problem and encourage players to flex.

Reporting them is a valid option if they're inactive, not engaging the enemy or objectives, or otherwise feeding.

If they're trying to win the game, even if they're playing a character you feel better is suboptimal, you're report is abusive.

It seems like people just want for OTPs to not exist and for their players to not be part of the community. Too bad, we are.

This is BS, people report OTP for being literally USELESS if enemy team has few heroes that counter OTP hero Extremally HARD.

OTP people dont care which map the play, vs who the play and with who they play, they just pick their Main hero and dont give !@#$ what is going on around them(not everyone but most)= the exactly definition of Poor teamwork

If enemy team has on closed map Torb, Pharah, Junk, few shields and healer behing them, and some OTP is playing Genji for example, they will NEVER do anything unless enemy team starts being too coocky and push too much.

So this means that this Genji: Will be inactive because he cant do anything, and his dmg just tickles the shields
Not engaging the enemy or objectives, i mean he is dying all the time to turrets or random dmg while trying to tickle the shields...
or otherwise feeding yea.. feeding

You all people should stop thinking and giving examples of One tricking in Perfect world, where they for example play as symmetra and enemy team is doing running brainless in to turrets or something.
Last part of post don't make sanse
12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

So, first line you're saying everyone can play what ever they like no matter if it makes no sense in the current team composition or vs enemy composition.

But then in the next line you say Overwatch is a team game and you should support your team with your choices.

Make up your mind.
12/18/2017 06:57 PMPosted by Nutmeg
Thanks for an update on this! Can't wait to see 4 youtube videos on this!

I must assume Unit Lost is hard at work making the next YouTube video regarding this very topic....

Anyways, on topic...

I am definitely glad that I won't be reported just because I play Junkrat extensively. That said, I do agree that players should be able to branch out if the need arises.

We believe players should be evaluated based on their actions with whichever hero they choose.
We built Overwatch around the concept of teamwork, and we believe the game is much more fun for everyone in a match when we’re picking heroes that contribute to the overall success of the team. At times, this means we’ll be playing our mains; other times, we should be trying to help the team by choosing heroes that round out the team’s composition. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

I'm prepared to be dislike bombed for this, and that's fine by me. I'd still like to make my point clear.
Overwatch is a fantastic game. The heroes are incredibly varied, and they've all got unique interesting and fun kits. That said, not all heroes are good for all situations, and that's why meta games form around the most effective ones. I appreciate the team's effort to encourage people to play what they want while considering the needs of the team, but I also feel they have not been forceful enough on a stance that is seriously important to the quality of the competitive games.

It's no secret that not all heroes are made equal, or equally useful in all scenarios. Because of that, certain hero picks, like symmetra and torbjorn offense, while they won't automatically cause a loss, have the potential to make a game much harder to win. Because of this, if you decide you want to only play torbjorn, you've put your own desires in front of the good of the team, perfectly willing to accept the strain you will put on offensive teams as they are forced to adjust their play style around your kit. I can't agree with this, whatever the reason. This game is a team game, and if you truly want to succeed at a high level you should be playing to what your team needs first, letting what you want to do most take a back seat until you're given the opportunity.

Is it entirely unreasonable that a teammate who ends up with a symmetra one-trick is going to find it griefy when a player hurts the strength of your team's composition on a level nearing intentionality - just because they want to ONLY play a hero that happens to have a situational toolkit?
. We won’t be actioning you if you only play your main, but we also don’t believe this is the ideal way to play Overwatch—especially in competitive settings.

You're validating the one guy (and others like him) that, when asked to change because his Widow was sucking !@# (hard counter, and he had poor skills with it) and was MOCKING us and TAUNTING us: "Yeah $%^- off dude, they've tried to ban me for this for 6 Seasons... Good luck with that".

I work my *!@ to fill, to adapt, to change, to discuss tactics an whatever: I've found myself a good Rein, a decent Zarya, a good Zanyatta which people confuse as my main, when I can keep playing DPS as main I'm on a winnning streak and now?... now I've few good matches we're I've lost (and preferred all the guys in the other team, since the ones in mine were scary non-cooperative) and other matches lost due to the usual dude you're validating right now.
The only thing that made me consider it as: "Ok, let's move on" was the report, 'coz you said you cared; now worth #$%^.
So I bust my -*! to do the best with communication, with trying new stuff for... for what? Losing SR and getting you validate the guys who now are laughing at me?

Good job Blizzard. I'm heavily disappointed.
Blizzard wants to make it clear, you shouldn't care about winning in comp, only that YOU are having fun. Who cares about your teammates. So, if I have 2 dps on my team,I'm just going torb and claiming I'm trying my best. Fun!
12/19/2017 06:56 AMPosted by Vill
12/19/2017 06:51 AMPosted by D3LT4

then you're not familiar with performance based SR system. Since that torb player is playing a hero that is rarely picked, he has a higher chance of performing better than average in comparison to other players with that hero. And the game will reward him with more SR for winning and less Sr decay for losing. To give an example, we had a top 10 player who one tricked symmetra and had a 58% winrate. If you check top 10 players and their winrates, they all had winrates of 65 and above. Top 3 have around 80% winrate. But this one guy managed to reach top 10 because he performed better than most symmetra players and even though his winrate was considerably lower than the rest of the top 10 players, he stayed there.

This is why i said that I'm hoping this Performance based SR removal is enough.

You described a scenario in which the torb preforms very poorly, meaning they would lose more SR. I'm sure you played expertly in that scenario despite the loss, so you would lose less SR.

In subsequent games, your performance would continue to be at an expert level and you would rise in the ranks whereas the Torb OTP would play decently in some situations and very poorly as you can described in others resulting in the staying at the same SR or declining over time.

Not every game will be the same. In one game, he may do well. In one game he may do average. I'm talking about the games that his pick is giving your team a significant disadvantage. I don't care if i see a hanzo player in my team, IF he can contribute. I don't care about seeing a torb on offensive IF THAT PERSON contributes. But when they fail, THEY MUST swap. If they don't swap, it's throwing. Doesn't matter that they did their best or they did all they could. That's the issue. Not one tricking. A one trick is just someone who never swaps. So you'll see a lot of scenarios that they're hard countered yet refuse to swap which Should be bannable. But isn't. Not swapping when being hard countered, while another hero is a significantly better option IS THROWING. Doesn't matter if they're one tricks or flex players who refused to swap.
12/19/2017 07:04 AMPosted by D3LT4

Not every game will be the same. In one game, he may do well. In one game he may do average. I'm talking about the games that his pick is giving your team a significant disadvantage. I don't care if i see a hanzo player in my team, IF he can contribute. I don't care about seeing a torb on offensive IF THAT PERSON contributes. But when they fail, THEY MUST swap. If they don't swap, it's throwing. Doesn't matter that they did their best or they did all they could. That's the issue. Not one tricking. A one trick is just someone who never swaps. So you'll see a lot of scenarios that they're hard countered yet refuse to swap which Should be bannable. But isn't. Not swapping when being hard countered, while another hero is a significantly better option IS THROWING. Doesn't matter if they're one tricks or flex players who refused to swap.

Why do you assume they will do better if they swap heroes? This is where all these stories lose me...

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

So, first line you're saying everyone can play what ever they like no matter if it make no sense in the current team composition.

And then in the next line you say Overwatch is a team game and you should support your team with your choices.

Make up your mind.

He's basically saying "You won't get banned solely for one-tricking a hero. You won't get banned by your hero choice (aka there is no such thing as "troll picks"). You will get banned, however, if you intentionally disrupt a match or your team."

That's what he's saying. They don't care if you make a so-called "troll pick", if you can play that hero well and contribute to the team, they won't ban you, no matter how many times players generate false reports. You will be banned, however, if you feed kills to enemy, give an advantage to other team intentionally, give a disadvantage to your team intentionally, or otherwise disrupt your team.

In fact, I've seen some pretty interesting team comps that look trash on paper actually win.
12/19/2017 07:04 AMPosted by D3LT4

If someone doesn't swap when YOU think they should, that doesn't mean they're throwing. You need to go back and read Josh's post where he very specifically outlines what is considered throwing. One tricking isn't bannable nor should it be. You can disagree with the developers, but they control the game.

Again, in your hypothetical scenario, you should not have to play with that Torb main for long if you're truly more skilled than them.
12/19/2017 07:01 AMPosted by kiesu

So, first line you're saying everyone can play what ever they like no matter if it makes no sense in the current team composition or vs enemy composition.

But then in the next line you say Overwatch is a team game and you should support your team with your choices.

Make up your mind.

This is not a binary matter. There's an "ideal" way to play, but they aren't going to make it law. Not hard to understand.
Being a wood/bronze player I don't mind hanzo not being to aim at all. I mean, it is not like anyone in a wood/bronze game knows to aim anyway. At least you got the balls to admit that, not like those 12-year-old widow carry.
12/19/2017 07:11 AMPosted by CrazyMage
12/19/2017 07:01 AMPosted by kiesu

Make up your mind.

This is not a binary matter. There's an "ideal" way to play, but they aren't going to make it law. Not hard to understand.

Exactly, I don't know why people find this so hard to get. You shouldn't be banned for not playing the ideal way, no game does that.
12/19/2017 07:12 AMPosted by Bergmaniac
12/19/2017 07:11 AMPosted by CrazyMage

Exactly, I don't know why people find this so hard to get. You shouldn't be banned for not playing the ideal way, no game does that.

At the same time, I'm hard-pressed to find a game where the competitive scene has an endemic issue of people intentionally picking characters that will make it harder for their team to win. Overwatch is a pretty unique game, and that hurts argument because there really isn't anything to compare against.
Hold on...
Yep, you're on pc and xbox. ok then, my response is...
Play whatever you like and as long as you try your best then youre good! btw sony just succckkkksssssss you should keep sticking pc and xbox theyre the way to go for you!
I'm sorry, but 1-tricks like OP and the developers acceptance of them is why is game is a joke and will always be a joke.