False reporting and (hopefully) how to fix it

General Discussion
(Guessed downvotes will come. You might want to scroll down to see my explanations before you press that button)

Heya. This is my idea on how to solve false reporting problem. If you find it correct or useful for the devs, just comment something, so it gets more attention. Thanks in advance.

I think it's pretty simple. Limited reports per season will solve it. This is because power corrupts, and because unlimited power means no power at all.

Power corrupts.
Being able to report everyone, anytime means that a LOT of false reports get into the system. People with less power to punish others' will save it for people they extremely dislike. Hopefully, most of the reporting will happen because toxic players. Which are worthy of reports. Bad players should be taken care by the SR system, not the reporting one.

Unlimited power means no power.
With so many reports, it's no wonder Blizz are having a hard time punishing players. Hell, today I heard about someone reporting another guy for false reporting him. We wouldn't have this mess in the first place if they both saved it for better targets.

And yes - I know it's not a perfect system. Nothing is. I know there will always be jerks who report with no good reason. But I do think it will make the current situation far better.

Thank you for reading. Let's work for a better community not through words, but through actions. Logical actions.
12/25/2017 07:37 AMPosted by Adran
With so many reports, it's no wonder Blizz are having a hard time punishing players.

who said the dev team is having a hard time punishing players ? i dont think ive ever seen any blue post or update video that says that ... just becuase the one report you just made doesnt get the player auto-banned doesnt mean the system isnt working.
12/25/2017 07:41 AMPosted by kreecher
With so many reports, it's no wonder Blizz are having a hard time punishing players.

who said the dev team is having a hard time punishing players ? i dont think ive ever seen any blue post or update video that says that ... just becuase the one report you just made doesnt get the player auto-banned doesnt mean the system isnt working.
12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen
Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game.
I think what they meant was, because of false reporting, it becomes difficult to identify which players deserve the punishment
I don't think this will stop false reporting at all. The people who send false reports delude themselves into thinking banning people who don't subject to their every whim is righteous. The will see the false reports as a priority and stop reporting toxic people.

Harsher penalities for abuse of the report system might solve it. Report players that try their best because of invalid reasons: first time offense is 2 weeks, 2nd time 3 months. After that it's permanent. No 1 day suspensions for abuse of the report system. So many systematically abuse the report system and do it on a large scale by encouraging others to do so as well, in every match.

Reports needs more thorough verification and shouldn't have to only happen after hundreds of reports. Quality over quantity. And when someone is found not guilty then immediatly suspend everyone that sent the reports that were clearly found to be abuse of the report system.
12/25/2017 07:51 AMPosted by Kyaw
I think what they meant was, because of false reporting, it becomes difficult to identify which players deserve the punishment

That's exactly that. Same about the whole one trick controversy. If they are bad players it's the SR system's job to take care of them.

We should report toxic players. Since we can't trust the community to use their power for good, we can limit it instead. As long as this game has more normal players than terrible ones, it should work.
That's an interesting solution Qon, but it's very complicated. I don't think Blizz have the man power for that/want to waste so much money.

Like I said, I know it's not perfect. I do believe enough in humanity to think it's a good idea, at least better than the current system.
Limited reports per season

Well, good luck. The entire playerbase is full of people who deserve a bigger punishment than just a handful of reports.
I get it you either didn't read or didn't get me, Mew.

Basically, we currently have report inflation. No wonder when everyone got an unlimited number of them.
You can't really make a good system in this mess, not without some crazy human-like AI.
Limiting the amount of reports you can do will not work. Lets say you only get 50-100 reports. Now what if you or someone plays 1000 games a season or more? I would say I end up reporting someone every 1 in 3 games. You have the person who keeps going 1 v 6 as genji and dying every time rushing in after spawning which is poor team work. Then you have the toxic people, the throwers, griefers, and the people who intentionally throw games. Some games you can report someone 3-5 times for there different behaviors. Since the last update, I have gotten messages on my screen about 18-20 times about action taken on people. Just because we report someone doesn't mean they will get punished as well. People need to get a lot of reports for something to happen. Just because this person was stupid or mean one day of the year doesn't mean they are not nice the rest of the year. Some people just have bad days.
First, let's make it 5 reports so it'll be easier to understand.

Doing so would raise the value of each report, because you only got five. You won't need tons of reports on a guy to check if someone should be banned, only one. This makes Blizzard's job of identifying good reports MUCH easier.

Another thing you said is that many people should be reported, even bad players. I think the report system should be used ONLY to identify toxic players, let the SR system take care of placing you with players around your sr.
12/25/2017 09:55 AMPosted by Adran

Doing so would raise the value of each report, because you only got five. You won't need tons of reports on a guy to check if someone should be banned, only one. This makes Blizzard's job of identifying good reports MUCH easier.

Another thing you said is that many people should be reported, even bad players. I think the report system should be used ONLY to identify toxic players, let the SR system take care of placing you with players around your sr.

You play 10 games and someone on your team is deserving of being reported but not enough reports....wont work.
Or how about this?

You gain one "charge" of report for x amount of games played.
and
You cannot report opponent who defeated you. (To reduce oh he killed me so I want him banned).
12/25/2017 09:57 AMPosted by TheRugester
12/25/2017 09:55 AMPosted by Adran

You play 10 games and someone on your team is deserving of being reported but not enough reports....wont work.

Will work, because you got more people in you team who didn't use all their reports yet. The reports gain more value because there are less, you will only report people who you think truly deserve to be punished.
12/25/2017 01:14 PMPosted by Adran
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Will work, because you got more people in you team who didn't use all their reports yet. The reports gain more value because there are less, you will only report people who you think truly deserve to be punished.

No it will not work. Ill refer to you what I said earlier about it.

12/25/2017 09:35 AMPosted by TheRugester
Limiting the amount of reports you can do will not work. Lets say you only get 50-100 reports. Now what if you or someone plays 1000 games a season or more? I would say I end up reporting someone every 1 in 3 games. You have the person who keeps going 1 v 6 as genji and dying every time rushing in after spawning which is poor team work. Then you have the toxic people, the throwers, griefers, and the people who intentionally throw games. Some games you can report someone 3-5 times for there different behaviors. Since the last update, I have gotten messages on my screen about 18-20 times about action taken on people. Just because we report someone doesn't mean they will get punished as well. People need to get a lot of reports for something to happen. Just because this person was stupid or mean one day of the year doesn't mean they are not nice the rest of the year. Some people just have bad days.

Also Ive dealt with people on my teams who have said they have no faith in the system so im not going to report. People dont come on these forums like other people do.
The whole reporting system is super broken. I don't know how to fix it, but that's not my job. I'm currently silenced and can only assume I was reported for not talking enough. I mean seriously... Me being silenced is an absolute joke. People get mad when they lose and report everyone who didn't do what they commanded be done. I actually think limiting the number of reports would help because then blizzard might actually come up with the manpower to read the reports rather than the seemingly automated system they have now. The new system that has now silenced me making it so I can't even hear my teammates makes me a burden if I play comp. This new system has ruined the game for me and will probably make Overwatch the last Blizzard game I ever buy.
The core problem here is that someone can report you without you knowing until it's too late. And if they're reporting you for something that isn't against the rules, you have no recourse other than to wait until you are suspended or silenced to argue against it with a CS rep.

A limited reporting system could work, but I feel you'd need an additional caveat that rewards people for proper reports. So, say you report someone for cheating and they get banned, you get a report back, or maybe your future reports have more weight.

Even with an unlimited reporting system, weighting might be an option. Each report you make lowers the value of your reports as long as those reports do not result in action being taken. When a player is acted upon, your report weight is increased.

The problem I see with such systems is that "low priority" behavior slips through, because people wouldn't want to waste reports or devalue their reports for when they need them. While this is fine on paper, what it does is moves the bar of acceptable/expected behavior a bit toward the toxic side of things.
For a weighting system specifically, you also run the risk of having mob mentality keep the weight of a given frivolous report at the baseline value if enough people report similar non-issues at a relatively even frequency.
TheRugester - Mathematically, even one report per season will work, because there are more normal people in the game than terrible ones.

Ceiu - These are great ideas. I agree with the disadvantage you mentioned, no system is perfect. Not until Blizz develop a crazy human-like AI that'll check reports, at least.
Also, if anyone doesn't agree with me or doesn't understand why I think it'll work, you're more than welcome to comment here and say why. I think distribution of power is an interesting subject - I like to talk about it :)
No, what if you encounter more people report worthy than you have reports left?
Then you need to give some people a free pass, just because you might encounter someone even worse?
How could this possibly be a good idea?
What they need to do is punishing false reports just as harshly as someone who gets reported for legit reasons.
If someone is on the verge of getting suspended due to false reports, they should get an ingame notification that they should reread the rules and stop abusing the system.
12/25/2017 09:35 AMPosted by TheRugester
You have the person who keeps going 1 v 6 as genji and dying every time rushing in after spawning which is poor team work.

Going in 1 vs 6 isn't a punishable offense. U might revise the guidelines before reporting. Otherwise u might harass someone unintentionally.

Comprehending the reporting ruleset which Blizzard put in place seems to be a big problem itself. Ask different people about punishable misbehaviour and u get as many different answers. In that meaning the report system often doesn't get abused intentionally. People sending in false reports most often believe whatever they perceived or witnessed has to be a bannable offense according to their own beliefs. In fact most often it is not, so those are harassing ones without even realizing it.