Could the next hero please be a Black Woman?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
12/24/2017 10:24 PMPosted by EbonyBetty
There's no reason why there shouldn't be an African or African American woman added to the game, but there's also no reason why it should be the next hero; 60% of all heroes added after the game's launch have been continental Africans.

This makes no sense? Pharah was with the original 21 heroes but let’s lump her together with the rest of the continental Africans. So there’s Pharah, Ana, Doomfist, and Orisa. 4/26 heroes in total makes 15% not 60%. Africans make up 23% of the worlds population. If Overwatch was to accurately portray the worlds diversity they’d have add two more African heroes.

You missed a key-word there.

The characters introduced AFTER launch are Doomfist, Anna, Orisa, Moira, Sombra

Of that pool of 5, 3 are from the continent of Africa. 3/5 is 60%
12/24/2017 09:41 PMPosted by Lemonkiller
It's a first person shooter, 99% of the time you don't even see it so this is just a social justice identity politics thread, which nobody wants here.
That's why you're getting downvoted.

"Tyranny, one tiny step at a time - How ideology, group identity & collective guilt destroy societies".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDClxjcR-4

I don’t care that I’m getting downvotes. However my post seems to get people talking. I enjoy chatting with people and hopefully maybe bring to light how unrepresented black women are.

Just because it’s a FPS game doesn’t mean it’s fanbase can’t handle topics like these. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think OW’s fandom couldn’t handle a conversation like this. You’re not giving them enough credit.

Talking about complex topics every evolves the game and community. That’s what we all want right? To see Overwatch grow and become more inclusive and inquisitive?
Anyone think instantly symetra and that they didn’t mention symetra
Yes, pls. We have 3 black men in the cast, a black woman would be nice too.
12/24/2017 10:30 PMPosted by dradventure
Anyone think instantly symetra and that they didn’t mention symetra

Symmetra is Indian, you dope.
I would like it, but Overwatch cast usually only makes a single hero from each part of the world, with the exception of USA (mccree and soldier) probably because Blizzard itself is in the US. I don't see it very likely to get a black african woman hero though, considering they already have doomfist and orisa/efi. It's like asking if they will make a male Irish character now that we have Moira, probably not.

Major populated countries not represented by a hero yet:
-Pakistan
-Philippines
-Vietnam
-Turkey
-Italy
-Spain
-Canada
-Greece
-Hawaii (I know this isn't a country but it basically can be)

Of course theres tons of other ones but these are just a few

The African Diaspora is everywhere. There isn’t a continent in the world that doesn’t have Black people. Thats why I was recommending a black woman from the Caribbean, like Haiti or Jamaica or Barbados. New territory for blizzard!

Also you’re absolutely right there are many countries that need representation! I’d love to see a hero from Cambodia or Malaysia!! The Philippines Is a great suggestion! Also Hawaii! We really need more Pacific Islander protagonists! Also I’d love to see a Pakistani hero too!! If you want support when making fourm post let me know!
Let the hero be from Guyana or Trinidad and let Rihanna voice her.
12/24/2017 10:39 PMPosted by Shade
Let the hero be from Guyana or Trinidad and let Rihanna voice her.

If we couldn't get Terry Crews what makes you think we'd get Rihanna?
12/24/2017 10:13 PMPosted by MrFriendly
I don't have a problem with a "future hero" being a black woman or specifically Caribbean / African American, my problem is the fact that you're emphasizing on it being the "Next Hero".

Considering the fact that the Heroes that have been "Hinted" previously:
- Junker Queen (Female Australian)
- Maximilian (Talon Omnic)
- Hammond (Moon Ape)
- Liao (IDK)
- Bridgette (Female Swedish)
- Sven (Male Swedish)

None of these match your description and to follow your description of the next hero undermines all the people looking forward to the next "Already Hinted" Hero.

Eh, it doesn’t hurt to dream! Blizzard has surprised us before! They’re really good at that. ☺️

This makes no sense? Pharah was with the original 21 heroes but let’s lump her together with the rest of the continental Africans. So there’s Pharah, Ana, Doomfist, and Orisa. 4/26 heroes in total makes 15% not 60%. Africans make up 23% of the worlds population. If Overwatch was to accurately portray the worlds diversity they’d have add two more African heroes.

You missed a key-word there.

The characters introduced AFTER launch are Doomfist, Anna, Orisa, Moira, Sombra

Of that pool of 5, 3 are from the continent of Africa. 3/5 is 60%

Ah okay! My mistake!
Throwing this out their anyone of color is technically black. What this person is looking for ethnicity not a person of color, as they obviously are dismissing that the game has crazy level of diversity

I don’t believe the notion to have a black women is crazy but you have 2 and if you want you can count symetra as I think she is the darkest of the cast. And yes I am count Anna and pharah as once again they are on the African continent are of color. It’s crazy that this is such an issue and honestly this is clearly a troll thread. The usename and post count says it all.
12/24/2017 10:28 PMPosted by JoshC
12/24/2017 10:13 PMPosted by MrFriendly
I don't have a problem with a "future hero" being a black woman or specifically Caribbean / African American, my problem is the fact that you're emphasizing on it being the "Next Hero".

Considering the fact that the Heroes that have been "Hinted" previously:
- Junker Queen (Female Australian)
- Maximilian (Talon Omnic)
- Hammond (Moon Ape)
- Liao (IDK)
- Bridgette (Female Swedish)
- Sven (Male Swedish)

None of these match your description and to follow your description of the next hero undermines all the people looking forward to the next "Already Hinted" Hero.

Actually there is Mirembe, from Ana's Legacy comic.
http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/legacy
page 4

And seeing how the characters are normally released I doubt Max will be one.
Fair point but I doubt I'd consider Mirembe a "hinted hero" considering how minor she was in the comic and how long ago she was mentioned in the comic.

Also Max is a fan-favorite... I'm confident he will become a hero in the future.

12/24/2017 10:45 PMPosted by EbonyBetty
Eh, it doesn’t hurt to dream! Blizzard has surprised us before! They’re really good at that. ☺️
And it's cool to dream... just don't crush other people's dreams in the process.
If so many people don't care then how does a thread get 150 comments in less than 2 hours???
ana and pharah are egyptian. many in egypt consider themselves middle eastern. symmetra is indian. sombra is mexican. it shouldn't be hard for blizz to add in a black woman.

there's so many different cultures she could come from. she could be an afro-latina from south america, a haitian, jamaican, nigerian, kenyan. the possibility for a female black hero are endless.
12/24/2017 10:27 PMPosted by Shade
I'm sure it will happen sooner or later later.

To the people that are desperately saying they "don't care about a character's race" while they continuously come back to this thread to push against her idea you're telling on yourself. It never surprises me that people claim they don't care about something but have a compulsion to discuss it to death.

You know what I do when I see threads on this forum that I truly don't care about? I press close tab and don't give it a second thought.

12/24/2017 10:50 PMPosted by AConstelle
If so many people don't care then how does a thread get 150 comments in less than 2 hours???

It's a symptom of the social climate on the internet in the recent years. People who aren't part of visible minorities have kind of been programmed to expect that if someone posts something on the internet about a race issue the end of the conversation is going to be "If you don't agree with me, that means your a racist", which really isn't helped much when you can look through some of the snappy comments in here that boiled down to "Well, that was sure a white person thing for you to say there."

The problem is we have two different viewpoints on how the discrimination gets solved. One side feels like saying "Hey, we're all human, so it doesn't matter what else you are, because we're all us" and the other side is saying "We're all different, and it does matter because we need to celebrate the ways in which we are different."

The side that you're stepping out against does care about the discussion of discrimination (which is what these topics always boil down to), but their solution to the problem of discrimination is that what a person is doesn't matter, and what matters is what a person does, and the way they act.

So it's a clash of ideologies between the camp that believes the best choice is cultural melting pot, and the camp that believes the best choice is the cultural mosaic.
12/24/2017 10:49 PMPosted by MrFriendly
12/24/2017 10:28 PMPosted by JoshC

Actually there is Mirembe, from Ana's Legacy comic.
http://comic.playoverwatch.com/en-us/legacy
page 4

And seeing how the characters are normally released I doubt Max will be one.
Fair point but I doubt I'd consider Mirembe a "hinted hero" considering how minor she was in the comic and how long ago she was mentioned in the comic.

Also Max is a fan-favorite... I'm confident he will become a hero in the future.

12/24/2017 10:45 PMPosted by EbonyBetty
And it's cool to dream... just don't crush other people's dreams in the process.

That is true about the hint & Max being a fan-favorite, I've seen plenty of posts about him. I guess I just had my eye on Kimiko & Mirembe. That and how Ana and Sombra was more of a mystery than in your face.
Overwatch does well with diversity cause the fact that Pharah is half Indian - half Egyptian, or Doomfist is Nigerian has very little to do with their characters story if anything at all. They are interesting characters that happen to be those things.

So adding a black woman for the sake of adding a black woman is a bad idea.
12/24/2017 10:51 PMPosted by octopicat
ana and pharah are egyptian. many in egypt consider themselves middle eastern. symmetra is indian. sombra is mexican. it shouldn't be hard for blizz to add in a black woman.

there's so many different cultures she could come from. she could be an afro-latina from south america, a haitian, jamaican, nigerian, kenyan. the possibility for a female black hero are endless.

Part of the African continent you are looking for an ethnicity not a black women
12/24/2017 11:06 PMPosted by Ogrumz
Overwatch does well with diversity cause the fact that Pharah is half Indian - half Egyptian, or Doomfist is Nigerian has very little to do with their characters story if anything at all. They are interesting characters that happen to be those things.

So adding a black woman for the sake of adding a black woman is a bad idea.

You find Doomfist and Pharah compelling because their story right? The amount of detail Blizzard puts into their backstory? Why can’t a black woman receive the same treatment?

I’m not asking for a token black women, hell I hope there’ll be two, no three black female characters! A couple of Native American heroes! More added sourthen Asian heroes and dozens of LGBTQ heroes! This is what keeps one hero from being a token. Can’t be a token if there’s more of them, ha ha!

In the end I’m just trying to let my desires be known. When I look around I don’t see anyone advocating for a black female hero. So I’ll be the first! Hopefully who feel the same will come talk with me. People who disagree can explain why I might incorrect. I’m just glad people are now talking about a potential black female hero. I’ll support anyone else if they want their underrepresented racial, sexuality, identity to be seen and heard.
no
12/24/2017 10:49 PMPosted by dradventure
Throwing this out their anyone of color is technically black.
I knew you were culturally stupid... I never knew you were this culturally stupid.