"I'm tank and I have gold damage, so die DPS!"

Competitive Discussion
01/03/2018 10:47 PMPosted by Hisaki
There's no way for the system to tell, either, whether damage was blocked usefully or not

Yeah, my point exactly. If there is no way to tell, then let's just give up this system altogether.

01/04/2018 12:31 AMPosted by masu
And it now has been since start of season 8, from diamond and above :).

Aaaand blizzard decides that no, we won't do that. Let's instead keep this system that obviously doesn't work :)
01/03/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Exe
<span class="truncated">...</span>

DVA and Zarya (only for high charge), but winston? Maybe if he has a pocket healer the entire game.

As someone who has played Winston a lot, Winston might not do that much damage, but if played right he gets a lot of elims, probably about as many or a little less as D.Va. He might be the tank that does the least damage on average according to overbuff, but he has the second highest elims of all tanks (third highest in GM). And that also takes into consideration that lots of players don't even know how to properly play Winston and play him completely wrong.

Winston isn't meant to do a lot of damage as he only does 60 dps, but he's meant to get a lot of elims.

I never said anything about elim? The comment I replied to said dps.
01/04/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Babanovac

01/04/2018 12:31 AMPosted by masu
And it now has been since start of season 8, from diamond and above :).

Aaaand blizzard decides that no, we won't do that. Let's instead keep this system that obviously doesn't work :)

What do you mean? Did they cancel the plan to make that change? I was under the impression that personal performance based sr gain/loss adjustment has been removed at the beginning of season 8 from diamond tier and above.
01/04/2018 03:34 AMPosted by masu
01/04/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Babanovac

What do you mean? Did they cancel the plan to make that change? I was under the impression that personal performance based sr gain/loss adjustment has been removed at the beginning of season 8 from diamond tier and above.

Well yeah, for diamond and above. So 10% of the game population. And the exact 10% of the population that are more inclined to play as a team anyway, and try to win.
tanks primary role is to make space for the DPS and protect the supports, if you don't make space for the DPS they die and can't even try to get golds. Sure tanks can get golds but if you have gold damage or elims it may mean you need to take a step back and make sure you are making the space for your DPS to do their jobs. Tanks and supports are the most important part of the team and when they aren't doing their jobs right the team has a higher chance to lose than if a dps is doing poorly.
I'm a main Orisa and never read such a non-sense.

Orisa have a giant ammount of ammo(150) so she will constantly be deploying shield and firing as long as she can to help protect her team. The consequence? You may not have gold final kills, but you will get gold medal for damage probably.

There's matches were i block 40k or more and have gold medal kills/damage, and i may not be the best player around the team, and maybe could be better, but i'm not a "bad tank".
01/03/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Pepethor
If a tank player (any tank hero) doesn't know how to fill his role, than he might get lots of golds, but the team will still lose the match. The tank player will boast about his medals and hold it over the DPS players heads, but as a flex player, I know this is totally bs and tanks should NOT have gold damage, not because dps have to out-damage them, but because tanks are not supposed to leave the objective and try to pick kills alone.

When I was learning Reinhardt, I realized that it was very easy to get a bunch of kills and do lots of damage. But for some reason me and my team would die a lot and we would lose, even with 3 golds.

What I realized was, if I don't do shielding, peeling and pushing the objective, help with chokes, the team suffers, no matter the medals.

So in short, if a tank decides to play like a DPS, they usually get gold damage, because real DPS heroes do not have any shield and peeling they should have. Same goes for healers, they can't heal anyone if there is no barrier to protect them.

TL:DR If you try to DPS as a tank hero, you will seem successful to yourself, but because you didn't do any shielding and peeling, your team couldn't do anything and you lost. Stop blaming your team as a tank and protect them!
This is plain wrong. If you're on the frontline forcing the enemy to deal with you you get a lot of elims, and you're doing your job. The slight exception would be a Rein never using shield but basically he'd be dead anyway.
There is a difference between damage and kills
01/03/2018 06:20 AMPosted by Restart
01/03/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Rapidity
Dva? Winston? All meant to do dmg? Zarya too

DVA and Zarya (only for high charge), but winston? Maybe if he has a pocket healer the entire game.

Winston will get gold kills. His shield does not require him to channel it so he can tick everyone in an area. Even if he does little damage he will get the counts toward kills.

Winston can do a ton of damage to the backline if teams aren't paying attention. . . free damage all day while front line dies to multiple (spread out damage) means he could take home gold damage. Rare, but it can happen with steamrolls (that he causes).
Im a main hog and needless to say I need to get picks..