DPSWatch is better than MercyWatch

General Discussion
The whole point of Overwatch is that it isn't DPSWatch. If you want to play DPSWatch, there are dozens of games out there that are DPSWatch. Overwatch has support characters and tanks along with DPS. Even when they do finally get rid of rez (mark my words it will happen) people like OP will be here saying, "I am here to play DPSWatch not CCwatch!" because some Genji got slept as he started to ult. Go play another game if you don't like support characters in your game. They are an integral part of the game.
01/06/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Slyther0829
I'd rather play a game where support heroes actually have an impact, and ignoring them is actually a bad idea, instead of where you can just mindlessly kill whoever's in front of you.

Thinking is hard, I know, but sometimes I like the added difficulty.

Hey how about you play Overwatch? I heard that in that game metas and compositions are created depending on the most impactful supports and tanks of the season with DPS playing around them!
Widow is currently at a good state due to her recent buffs. But she is a defense hero, despise the form she is played.

Bastion is a defense hero in almost every way, you can't use his despicable form to justify an argument that we aren't going to DPS watch.

Genji Damage was nerfed? Are you talking about the beta Genji? Well, in Beta he was horrible due to his 150 hp. Triple Jump was a glitch, his dash destroying traps was a Glitch,

Soldier is currently at a damage higher than at launch in the end, and his ultimate is better.
01/06/2018 12:02 PMPosted by NObackfill
It's not about Mercy.
It's about nerfing everyone that isn't a Offense character.
This time, besides Mercy we have Junk.
In the past, Lucio Supportive Abilities, Ana Supportive Abilities, Hog effectiveness.
Mei nerfed in the past.
Bastion reworked to a worst state in the end.
Symm and Torb forgettable.

And the worst part, most of the characters that need touchs aren't and to most people it's because Blizz are afraid of hurting the dps mains.
"Wah wah dps mains stole my candy wah wah"

Have we forgotten about what happened to poor doomfist ? Or genji's dragonblade time reduction ? Or soldier's damage reduction ? And these are all off the top of my head
01/06/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Alhaitham

Have we forgotten about what happened to poor doomfist ? Or genji's dragonblade time reduction ? Or soldier's damage reduction ? And these are all off the top of my head

Yadda yadda useless, baseless provocation.

DF's punch was nerfed because he was too good in dealing with Flankers DPS, despise being in offense character he was too good in playing defensively. =)
Truly, Dragonblade was nerfed by 2s... So sad. Let's compare to Mercy nerf? Better not.
Soldier has a higher damage than at launch, and a better ultimate as well.
01/06/2018 12:02 PMPosted by NObackfill
It's not about Mercy.
It's about nerfing everyone that isn't a Offense character.
This time, besides Mercy we have Junk.
In the past, Lucio Supportive Abilities, Ana Supportive Abilities, Hog effectiveness.
Mei nerfed in the past.
Bastion reworked to a worst state in the end.
Symm and Torb forgettable.

And the worst part, most of the characters that need touchs aren't and to most people it's because Blizz are afraid of hurting the dps mains.

Ah yes, the two second reduction in exchange for it being uninterruptible. Such a massive nerf.

And the 1 damage nerf to soldier after a 3 damage buff*
01/06/2018 12:38 PMPosted by NObackfill

Yadda yadda useless, baseless provocation.

DF's punch was nerfed because he was too good in dealing with Flankers DPS, despise being in offense character he was too good in playing defensively. =)
Truly, Dragonblade was nerfed by 2s... So sad. Let's compare to Mercy nerf? Better not.
Soldier has a higher damage than at launch, and a better ultimate as well.
That still disproves your point of ""offenses never get nerfed"" They do when it's needed ,And how would we be able to compare the dragonblade nerf to the mercy nerf when genji was never near as powerful as current live mercy is ?
01/06/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Johais
... "Wah wah dps mains stole my candy wah wah"

Ah yes, the two second reduction in exchange for it being uninterruptible. Such a massive nerf.

And the 1 damage nerf to soldier after a 3 damage buff*
It behing uninterruptible isn't exclusive to genji ,It applies to other heroes ,Including mercy.

And for dragonblade ,2 seconds is a big difference.

And regarding the soldier one ,It was an example to disprove his point of "offense heroes never get nerfed" Which is complete bull!@#$
If you really want that, go play crucible in Destiny 2 and everyone is dps.
01/06/2018 11:51 AMPosted by ShadowHunter
You do realize that even without mercy, this game can't be won without healers or tanks right? The entire reason you guys get to dps?

You realize that many games don't have healers? In fact, Blizzard is the only developer that does it still, because it's SO old. Even D&D dropped it.
01/06/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Zane
You do realize that even without mercy, this game can't be won without healers or tanks right? The entire reason you guys get to dps?

You realize that many games don't have healers? In fact, Blizzard is the only developer that does it still, because it's SO old. Even D&D dropped it.

Pretty sure Paladins and other comparable games have healers too... And since when does D&D not have healers anymore? What would you call a cleric?
01/06/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Zane

Are you suggesting we eliminate healing from the game? Sounds boring without it.

Blizzard should just delete every character in the game except for Soldier 76. Then the came can become a pseudo Call of Duty where everyone has the same damage, same sprint ability, same healing, and same ultimate. Then the game will become truly balanced and maybe then this community can stop whining about every "OP/Broken Hero of the Week."
So I would have to ask then, how will the game change when she is nerfed?

"Kill ana! kill ana!" or another support will just fill the gap left by mercy. Calling this a pure shooting game is kinda wrong as two of the people (mercy and RH) don't shoot much of anything. If they do it is either a weapon swap or a cooldown. Then you have !@#$fist that probably was supposed to be a cooldown hero but he just turned into a running joke.

If anything it is a class based team game.
01/06/2018 12:00 PMPosted by ScreamingApe
wanna know what's better than both of them combined???

WristWatch

And even better than Wrist watches are Wrist rockets.
01/06/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Vill
Even with rez nerfed into the ground, people will still complain about Mercy.

Mark my words, the narrative will shift to her mobility, easy-aim healing, and Valkyrie chain effects.

People grate against anything that stands in opposition to their success, which an enemy Mercy is designed to do. There's a deep seated subconscious bias against her and the developers need to exploit that rather than cater to it with endless nerfs and reworks to her.

Heaven forbid a support character be a threat.
Indeed. Look at how all the Genjis reacted to Moira. If a support is in a position where it can stand up to an opponent, either directly in the case of Moira or indirectly in the case of Mercy, it will eventually be nerfed to a point where no opposition is possible.

They are not done with Mercy, and when they have finally coerced Blizzard into driving her into irrelevance they will turn on the other healers.
01/06/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Hamelic
01/06/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Vill

Because depending on your rank, balanced team composition goes out the window and you'll often see teams with 4 DPS. Which is actually fine, it seems to be the role more players prefer.

However, quizzically, it makes nerfing Mercy make even less sense. There should be incentive to play support characters in the form of the impact you're able to make on matches. Currently, Mercy has arguably the greatest impact out of all of the supports. That means the others should be buffed to bring them to a level of parity, not knock her down to provide even less incentive for people to play support.

You shouldn't have to buff characters to OP levels to get people to play them, you should design fun mechanics and gameplay that make people want to play them.

THIS!!!!

Mercy is not a satisfying character to play for most people, even as OP as she is right now compared to the others, she seems like a chore to play, because you are basically a slave to the other players. Actually most of the supports have the same problem, and it seems like it stems from the design approach toward supports in this game, that they are supposed to be a "back line", which is the opposite of engaging gameplay.

I think a better way to approach supports would be to not only have the current supports heal, but to give them all additional abilities that help route players and control the flow of the game, like moira's bouncy ball, or sym's turrets, which would require playing more actively(fun)and allow supports to be more independently useful, and maybe nerf their damage or some other things a little to compensate. It would also make it so symmetra ain't as powerful with her damage, and would relegate her to more of a routing/defensive hero that requires more skill to master.

Additionally, the line between certain support and defense heroes are already blurred (sym and torj?), so maybe even buff torj's and mei's healing abilities and help their low pick rate.

... But this would require quite the rework.
I’m going to lock this thread. However, we encourage to continue sharing your feedback on the PTR changes for Mercy in this topic. This is in an effort to consolidate feedback for our team.

Thank you!