Whats it like to have good fps? :)

General Discussion
FPS is not the problem if you only have a 60HZ monitor which can only display 60FPS. You really should be asking does my monitor support the high FPS my video card is pumping out. The people with high HZ monitors are the ones having the overall best experience in the game.
12/15/2017 07:22 AMPosted by heracles
FPS is not the problem if you only have a 60HZ monitor which can only display 60FPS. You really should be asking does my monitor support the high FPS my video card is pumping out. The people with high HZ monitors are the ones having the overall best experience in the game.

I get your point. However with a laptop you can't choose ;P

Looks like ill have to add a high HZ monitor to my Christmas list.
As somebody who went from absolute minimum settings, 40% render scale, and 25-35 fps on a crappy laptop to consistent 144 fps on medium settings on a PC I built: it's not even the same game.
my max fps is 10 with every grapics settings as low as they can go
I play with around 140 FPS on a 144 hz monitor and I am truly sorry if you play below 60 FPS because that's just horrible. You don't know what I'm talking about until you have experienced it yourself, so do yourself a favor and go for some upgrades or even a completely new PC.

This. I have a beast of a machine but my monitor was limited to 60hz. For my birthday, I bought myself a 165hz monitor and I literally cannot describe how utterly jaw-dropping the experience is.

Besides the obvious visual improvements, having a high end monitor has improved my gameplay as well. My average weapon accuracy has gone up at least 15-20% with no other change to my system other than the monitor.
12/15/2017 06:44 AMPosted by Player
Goooooood morning!

So i have a question for some of you out there.

How much better is gameplay at higher FPS?

My avg FPS is 40 LOL trying to aim is quite fun ;)...

I run overwatch at 300fps but I only have a 144 hz monitor, the higher frames makes gameplay a lot smoother it personally helps me track a bit better but it’s not a big change at all gameplay wise it’s just a million times more asthetically pleasing. I think it’s worth it.
Went from about 25-40 to maxed out at 60 at all times FPS

Things are smoother, but it didn't suddenly make me better.

People claiming it "improves their aim" and performance are just people falling for a placebo effect.

Of course, its a lot harder to aim when you're lagging all over the place if you're playing at say 15 fps. But you're not going to see any difference between 30 fps and 600 FPS aiming.
It's really great at first, but unfortunately you get used to it.

Instead of it being eternal framerate bliss, it's more like you can't tolerate lower framerates anymore.
12/15/2017 06:54 AMPosted by Toaster
I upgraded from 60hz -> 144hz+.

The difference is night and day. NIGHT AND DAY. Money very well spent. I highly advise everyone "treat-yo-self" this holiday season and upgrade.

I would if I had the money. :( My PC could have come with a monitor (I ordered it on Cyber Monday), but it was 21:9 and apparently OW doesn't like that.
I get 144 hz and fps, its literally the reason I got gm.

I was hovering at 3800-3900.

It makes bad players a bit better, and good players great.
I feel you, i just recently switched from a 11 year old laptop to a pretty good gaming pc.

720p 50% renderscaling, 45 Fps max.

And i gotta say it's amazing being able to actually see stuff and having 100+ fps.
Biggest factor is probably the input lag you get on low fps. makes your aim feel really random and inconsistent. I notices extreme improvements on mccree when i got the upgrade.
12/15/2017 06:44 AMPosted by Player
Goooooood morning!

So i have a question for some of you out there.

How much better is gameplay at higher FPS?

My avg FPS is 40 LOL trying to aim is quite fun ;)...

I run overwatch at 144 fps (same as my monitor refresh rate) and it rarely runs bellow that. My PC can reliably run Overwatch at 200 fps. But my monitor can't do that. I run with nearly all settings set to ultra. How's the game on a better pc?

Awesome.

Equipment wise, my problem is my desk. I use an old drafting table since I need the space for dual monitors. Unfortunately I'm finding it's too tall.

An increase in pc performance isn't the end all be all. It certainly helps and it's a ton of fun, but there is no replacement for skill.

I would suggest finding out what the refresh rate for your monitor is and limiting the fps to that. It helps with tearing. Then adjust settings until the game runs consistently at that frame rate.

I would try to aim for at least 60 fps. If your pc can't do that I would honestly suggest upgrading.

Good luck regardless of your rig, though. We are all here to play a game and have fun. Can't afford to upgrade? Meh, just enjoy the game and playing with friends anyway until you can.
12/15/2017 07:52 AMPosted by Meowcenary

Things are smoother, but it didn't suddenly make me better.

People claiming it "improves their aim" and performance are just people falling for a placebo effect.

Of course, its a lot harder to aim when you're lagging all over the place if you're playing at say 15 fps. But you're not going to see any difference between 30 fps and 600 FPS aiming.

I fully disagree with that statement.

And my season 7 McCree stats are proof of that.

Compare my previous seasons with season 7.
Accuracy went up roughly 10% simply from switching form 45 fps to 100+ fps.
The input lag below 60 fps is extreme, and it is random, which makes it really difficult to have consistent aim.

Also i highly recommend not playing on maxed out settings. 60fps is by far not enough. the game looks pretty much the same on low settings, you even get less of those annoying bushes that sometimes block your view. Prime example are the widow sightlines on Ilios Ruins
12/15/2017 07:25 AMPosted by HimeCZ

I get your point. However with a laptop you can't choose ;P

Yeah , sadly, but if you are in the market for a new laptop, then you would want to look at laptops that have high HZ displays as they are out there. Usually really expensive, but nothing you can do about that.
12/15/2017 07:52 AMPosted by Meowcenary

Actually, it potentially could improve overall aim, because you are not dropping as many frames on the high HZ monitor. Also increases the smoothness of your mouse once again because of the high HZ. So people claiming they have better accuracy is somewhat realistic, because frame drops are not forcing corrections you would need to do on a low HZ monitor. As for how much accuracy is earned it would be hard to say as it is based on the previous stats of that player, but aim accuracy should improve somewhat. But will be different for each person

It's the same issue console players have coming over to pc. The speed and smoothness of the game is 100X better on pc then console. I notice an immediate difference when going from console to pc with a high end rig.