I want my Diamond back.

Competitive Discussion
It doesnt look like you played that much this season. and you have a couple hours on doomfist who is crazy weak right now, so Id advise against that unless you dont care about your rank as much.
12/15/2017 10:31 AMPosted by AnsatsuKen
I don't think anyone checked out the OP's profile, but the heroes he's picking he has less than a 33% win rates.

Loosing almost 1k SR is impossible unless you're intentionally throwing or you're playing with your left hand like I am. I don't think people understand just how bad Gold players are mechanically, and that a mid Diamond player would never get stuck here in Gold.

I went from mid masters to 2200 in Gold because I play with my left hand, but it took me so long to get here. I've been stuck in gold for over a month now, so I can say that people stuck in Gold suck in multiple ways, but most of all mechanically. I know how bad they are because I can out perform Gold players with my Left hand, which isn't my dominant hand and it's my first time ever gaming with my left.
Firstly, no it is not impossible without throwing. Look at the title of this thread. My SR is extremely important to me, and so I always play each game as best as I can.

Secondly, my mechanical aim is functional. I got to Diamond in the first place, so I at least know how to aim. A lot of my recent games have had me aiming at the opponents quite well. Sure, my pressure shots decrease my in-game accuracy stats, making them say otherwise, but for the most part, I'm able to hit my shots. I doubt it's incomparable to current Diamond ranks.

The simple truth of the matter is that I have played my best in competitive as of present time, and I did not impose arbitrary limits onto myself as I played.

Another thing that irks me is that a lot of people are assuming I think that it's my team's faukt for throwing, being incompetent, or some other toxic behavior. That's not my focus. My reasons for losing vary drastically. Some of them are indeed because of evil teammates. However, some of them are also because of very simple but absolutely critical mishaps that lose us the game. Some losses are because I simply lose my aiming skills for some reason, some losses are because of restrictive map design, some are because I make incorrect predictions, and some are because the enemy team just simply managed to completely annihilate us all. And even in the games I have played very well in, it's not uncommon for the enemy team to win anyway.

Perhaps I'm missing something massive on my own part, I admit, but so far, it seems that no matter how well I play, I don't have much control over my victory. Yet I still play the game to my absolute best. Because at the end of the day, that's what a competitor does.
I'm sorry man but i don't think the SR system is the problem in this case.

Your record is:
16 Wins
42 Losses

You can't expect to climb with less then a 50% win:loss ratio in any game.

If you are playing at diamond level golds should be a breeze. Heck i'm a High plat & whenever i play against golds it's just a stomp. I can't imagine a Mid diamond..
12/15/2017 11:16 AMPosted by sopkah

Firstly, no it is not impossible without throwing. Look at the title of this thread. My SR is extremely important to me, and so I always play each game as best as I can.

Secondly, my mechanical aim is functional. I got to Diamond in the first place, so I at least know how to aim. A lot of my recent games have had me aiming at the opponents quite well. Sure, my pressure shots decrease my in-game accuracy stats, making them say otherwise, but for the most part, I'm able to hit my shots. I doubt it's incomparable to current Diamond ranks.

To your first point. Your hero selection would suggest otherwise. Outside of Winston, you are picking dps characters that are very niche and inconsistent especially if you are not landing your shots. Your stats show you have 28% accuracy on Hanzo but only a 3% crit rate, This is very poor, this means you aren't landing your shots and the shots you are landing are not headshots. Hanzo needs to be landing crits consistantly to be effective. You have 1hr of time with Hanzo and only 1 win, you need to stop picking Hanzo.. You need to flex more and get off these hero's until you can be more consistent.

I suspect you are locking these characters and not swapping. Your stats are very telling of this. You may indeed feel like you are playing your best but part of doing so is knowing when to swap and what is best for the team. Picking Hanzo, Genji and Doomfist and bringing little to the table is not doing your best.
Ifrit said what I was about to say, I looked also at your overall stats with other heroes but you're performing at a level far worse than gold. Even I'm doing better than you are with my non dominant hand, so clearly you're doing something extremely wrong.
12/15/2017 11:34 AMPosted by AnsatsuKen
Irritated said what I was about to say, I looked also at your overall stats with other heroes but you're performing at a level far worse than gold. Even I'm doing better than you are with my non dominant hand, so clearly you're doing something extremely wrong.
How does that work though? How can skill drop faster than it builds? Yes, skill. Not Skill Rating.
without stats and what heros you played each season its impossible to give too much feedback. I think most people belong at least 300 SR below their high, in a team game with 11 other people variance is high so you Sr shoudl fluctuate like 600 normally, if you let this get into your head at all you will drop more. Also if you play other heros, you wont be able to communicate as well, which is always very important. You can win games at most levels just telling your team to get back on defense every 10 seconds.
i've been pretty much that high and now am sitting at 2300 and im playing with people that were silver/gold their entire overwatch lives telling me im an idiot i dont know anything im throwing. its so ridiculous man every game makes me want to uninstall because of the entire community. they are completely brain dead.

everygame if i pick the third offense hero the 2nd healer will go tank to have 2 tanks. which puts us at 3 dps, 2 tank and 1 healer the absolute worst hero comp in the game.

people just dont have logic in this game but think they know everythign playing at gold/plat and level 100-200.
12/15/2017 11:44 AMPosted by sopkah
12/15/2017 11:34 AMPosted by AnsatsuKen
Irritated said what I was about to say, I looked also at your overall stats with other heroes but you're performing at a level far worse than gold. Even I'm doing better than you are with my non dominant hand, so clearly you're doing something extremely wrong.
How does that work though? How can skill drop faster than it builds? Yes, skill. Not Skill Rating.

Not sure if this is a troll post, but if you look at your pertinent statistics they are all around the 70-90+ percentile of players, which is right around the silver-gold range. With stats and averages like that I'm not even sure how you got to diamond in the first place. Your w/l ratio is also abysmal. If I were you I would spend many hours in "aim practice" servers getting better at mechanics. They are insanely beneficial, not only for aim, but for understanding various champion matchups as well. Not to mention, a lot of masters/grandmaster players frequent them, so you'll be playing against people better than you, which is super beneficial for improving personal skill.
12/15/2017 11:28 AMPosted by Ifrit
12/15/2017 11:16 AMPosted by sopkah

To your first point. Your hero selection would suggest otherwise. Outside of Winston, you are picking dps characters that are very niche and inconsistent especially if you are not landing your shots. Your stats show you have 28% accuracy on Hanzo but only a 3% crit rate, This is very poor, this means you aren't landing your shots and the shots you are landing are not headshots. Hanzo needs to be landing crits consistantly to be effective. You have 1hr of time with Hanzo and only 1 win, you need to stop picking Hanzo.. You need to flex more and get off these hero's until you can be more consistent.

I suspect you are locking these characters and not swapping. Your stats are very telling of this. You may indeed feel like you are playing your best but part of doing so is knowing when to swap and what is best for the team. Picking Hanzo, Genji and Doomfist and bringing little to the table is not doing your best.
My hero selection is almost solely based on what playstyle I want to play. It doesn't take much skill to select a hero. And therefore, hero selection by itself is not a reflection of how skilled I am.

Also, my 2 most played heroes are Genji and Doomfist, neither of which are niche picks. It should be rather obvious for Genji, so I'll focus on Doomfist.

Doomfist is not a situational hero. He has issues, but he's a very versatile hero. He's an extremely high risk, high reward hero. And I managed to play exceptionally well as him over the last few days. One of those games had an enemy Junkrat and Roadhog. I play Doomfist, because his playstyle perfectly synchronizes with how I play the game. And while he's the most flawed and buff worthy hero in the game, his burst potential is enough to make him worth playing and make it realistic to win games with him. I haven't completely mastered him yet, but I've figured out how to play him competently against any matchup.

Even if I'm wrong and Doomfist is a niche pick, what does that mean? Symmetra is an even more niche pick than Doomfist is.

If you look earlier in the thread, you'll find a player who managed to climb from Bronze to Platinum using only Symmetra. Granted, (s)he fell back to Bronze again, but it shows that hero selection, while important to make good team compositions, is not a determining factor of victory, so long as you can play the hero effectively.

I know that I have a bad habit of thinking of Overwatch as a fighting game, but it applies perfectly to hero selection. Blizzard knows that a lot of players are going to gravitate to playing as one or two specific heroes. And so they want those players to have their heroes work as viably as possible. Look at the massive rework they made to make Symmetra and Bastion viable in all situations. I know they ultimately failed, but the changes they made demonstrates that they care about having these heroes being functional as often as possible. Almost all of the major updates up to today have focused on hero balance. If Blizzard didn't make as many of their heroes as possible playable, the metagame we know today wouldn't be nearly as diverse as it is in real-life. And most of the matchups that heroes have with each other are winnable on both ends, even in a lot of counter matchups.

Is Doomfist flawed? Yes, moreso than any character in the game. But is he viable? Most definitely. Just like Bastion and Symmetra, all of his strong points are massive. The added benefit Doomfist has that makes him a versatile pick unlike Bastion and Symmetra is that he's capable of fighting actively rather than relying on passive combat methods. He also has vastly more movement freedom.

If you think that my problem is hero selection,

... Well I'll definitely consider it, but it seems rather doubtful. Also, it's very condescending that you would use assume that I'm throwing after seeing my hero selection.

One more time, just so everybody can hear, I am not throwing.
12/15/2017 12:11 PMPosted by sopkah

If you think that my problem is hero selection,

... Well I'll definitely consider it, but it seems rather doubtful. Also, it's very condescending that you would use assume that I'm throwing after seeing my hero selection.

One more time, just so everybody can hear, I am not throwing.

If you say you're not throwing then I'll take your word for it. However, your win rate on your most played hero's is very poor. It is pretty damning that your most played hero's are ones that are very situational and highly dependent on consistently getting picks, which your stats suggest you're not doing.

Your hero selection is without a doubt 100% the reason you are continually losing matches. For one, you need to play more matches and you need to flex more during those games. I doubt very seriously you are flexing as often as you say you are. We can only go by what your most current stats are and they suggest you are not flexing or only flexing after the game has essentially been lost.
If genji is your main hero, I don't get how you accuracy to crit is so low. I playing genji better than you are some how while using my left hand, and I don't main Genji.

You thinking\believing that you're playing well doesn't mean you are. Just like those people saying the MMR system is rigged and out to get good players, doesn't make sense. They all think they're good, but when you look at their stats clearly they're a problem. Those "good players" also think everyone stagnates while they improve, which isn't true.
Stats are poor across the board. I have no idea how you got to diamond unless you just did 10 placement matches each season. Unless you play a lot it takes a while for the system to finally find the range you belong in. I suspect you will settle in silver or maybe bronze given the stats you've got.

If however you have just had a huge unlucky streak these are my tips:-

I would stop playing doomfist. My Reinhardt has very similar dmg and elims to your doomfist and I don't consider Reinhardt particularly good at either.

Don't play characters near the bottom of the win rate tables. From your list this includes tracer, ana, doomfist, hanzo and sombra. I'd also include genji given your stats unless you've just been particularly unlucky.

Since DVA got micro missiles winston's win rate has dropped 4% so change off of winston sooner if it's not going well.

If you want to win why is there no mercy on your playlist?

Easiest way to win matches in platinum and below is the 2-2-2 setup. I suspect you have played more than your fair share of matches without two tanks and two healers. Make that happen.
Update: I've now lost over 1000 SR from my career high.
12/14/2017 07:01 PMPosted by MartianMagic
The system is flawed pretty bad my man. Just try to have fun playing is my best advice

This.

The current story of Overwatch is that you either stop caring and just try to have fun or you quit, because it is not suited for general competitive play.

They will never fix the toxicity, they will never fix the class balance.
12/17/2017 12:34 PMPosted by Meringue
12/14/2017 07:01 PMPosted by MartianMagic
The system is flawed pretty bad my man. Just try to have fun playing is my best advice

This.

The current story of Overwatch is that you either stop caring and just try to have fun or you quit, because it is not suited for general competitive play.

They will never fix the toxicity, they will never fix the class balance.
I think it's rather pessimistic to say they'll never fix it, but I can't honestly say your thoughts aren't justified.
To rank up you just play your characters where you have the highest win % until you reach your max rank.

You may think you are good at a hero, but it you aren't winning with them you simply aren't good.

I could de-rank to silver or gold if I started playing heroes I was bad at.
Have you tried practicing and queuing with a group of 5 non-toxic, willing to learn friends?

Might be the solution to your problem
So, a lot of people have been saying that I'm simply playing poorly, and I deserve to be in Gold now, so that's why I've dropped down.

Here's an actual story.

I was attempting to capture the 2nd point of Volskaya on Offense. The enemy team had a little over 50%. But they were holding their defense lines impeccably. It was an extremely hard-built defense core.

I was playing Winston. And in the middle of the timer, I went and flanked behind the enemies by jumping onto their stairwell near their open spawn. Also no this was not a bad idea, because all of the enemies were alive and pressuring my own team. I hid at the top, but I took some chip damage from Torbjorn's turret, alarming him to my presence and making him spot me. He started shooting at me from the bottom platform. I took cover by hiding in the top room in order to render myself immune to his fire. I should also note that my Ultimate was almost ready, and so waiting it out was a viable strategy. He started to come up the stairs, and I thought I could get him close enough to me to chip damage him to get the last Ultimate charge I needed in order to go aggressive. He backed up, but I placed my shield down in order to force him to let me chip him in order to wound me. After a short shield exchange, Torbjorn's AWOL behavior attracted the attention of his ally Junkrat, and he double teamed me.

And then my Ultimate was ready. I activated it, and Junkrat threw his mine at me to knock me away. They were both on the bottom platform. Junkrat went down because of his own mine, and Torbjorn joined in and used Molten Core, presumably to group up with him. I jumped over to them and punched both of them twice. They went off of the ledge to their deaths, and I still had 731 HP left. I jumped onto the point in order to disrupt the enemy's positioning, and then I noticed the Moira and Symmetra fleeing from the battle scene through the side passage, going to the cliff face with the big health pack. The Moira was at full health, but the Symmetra was wounded. I knew that Moira could burst heal her, but I thought I could knock one or both of them off of the cliff, and they were both distant from the health pack. I decided to jump after them. I knocked Symmetra off of the cliff and then rejoined the rest of my team.

As I've said, I made an almost perfect solo initiation onto the enemy team. I distracted both of their DPS, allowing my own team to push onto the point without much contest, and I got 3 picks to completely quash their damage output.

Unfortunately, it immediately became a reversal; as soon as I rejoined my team to capture the point, Zarya came onto the point and used Graviton. I don't remember how we lost, but somebody followed up on her Ultimate to try and team wipe us.

And they succeeded.

The rest of the game was just us futilely attempting to capture the point, all the while their defense was solid and unbreakable to us.

Now I must ask. Was that bad play? Did I stumble when I used Primal Rage to destroy half of their team, all of whom were damage centric heroes, and one of which had his offensive Ultimate completely wasted? Was it my fault that every single bit of that momentum was lost to an ambushing Zarya?

I fail to see how it's fair or even realistic for me to consistently lose games to players when my own gameplay is solid and well thought out and executed, especially when I have won consistently in the past against players who were entire tiers above these present players, and my overall competence has barely changed!

But apparently, it is indeed the latter, being realistic, if it has happened. I honestly wonder whether or not these Gold players are fallen Diamonds like I have, who are only in Gold because of an unfortunate losing streak. The insulting part is that the name of my rank is Skill Rating, as if to say that I've suddenly become incompetent at the game, like a top athlete after a stroke (No I have not had a stroke. It's an analogy). The reality is that my own capacity is roughly the same, and I have fallen down so horribly because of the random factors, such as what was stated above.

Then again, this is a forum post, and so I could easily be lying as far as you're concerned. You don't have to take my word on it. Interpret this post as you will, and believe me however you choose to or feel compelled to.

I hope this was at least worth reading.