Finding one’s main

General Discussion
How do I decide who to main. I like Genji but I’m trash with him. I’m okay with
reaper and soldier but they’re boring to me. I don’t want to main the easiest hero possible. I’m constantly switching, so I’m not really all that great at a single hero. So could you guys tell me some potential ways to find a main.
You'd be better suited having a "main" of each category, that way you can fill any roll if needed. It's all up to you though, but if you're playing a one trick and start getting hard countered you can't really blame anyone else.
12/19/2017 03:00 PMPosted by iamhappyso
I like Genji but I’m trash with him.

That doesnt stop a lot of people :P
For me it took a while before I could decide who to main (I still can't, check my last 3 seasons and see different heroes at #1 most played every single one). If a hero feels fun to play, play that hero. In terms of competitive, I'd recommend having 1-2 backup heroes in that role or with a similar playstyle and having at least 1 other hero you're decent at in every other role. For me, I have McCree, Reaper, and Junkrat as DPS, Reinhardt (also sort of Roadhog) as my tank, and Ana as my healer.

You sound like a Genji main to me.
Well, what do you like actually doing in the game? Do you like being in the fray or being a more passive nuisance? Do you like leading pushes or following them to clean up? Are you good at aiming or don't mind the idea of improving it, or would you rather improve other skills such as positioning, mobility, and shielding? Are you okay with not having a lot of sustainability through healing and shields, or are you worried about what to do in a 1v1? Most importantly, with which character are you having the most fun?

I drifted around before I picked my main. Stuck squarely with Soldier for awhile because he was the tutorial character and a jack-of-all-trades deal that made me not feel like I needed to be exceptional at any one thing. Could heal myself when I was low and blow things up. It was fine for awhile, and I still bust him out from time to time, but I read the above before that you should have a "main" in each category and started trying out the other characters. Would try to fill out spaces in my team by tanking but I just don't really like the role all that much. Playing Rein to me is kind of scary, honestly. Would then continue filling, but instead with the support class through Mercy since people always requested her. But I simply didn't like the fact that I couldn't shoot while healing; I felt pretty tied down by the other characters for my survival pre-Valkyrie and her task list felt a bit one-note. Enter Lucio, and it's been a match made in heaven ever since.

You say you like Genji but that you suck at him. Well, everyone sucks at most characters they start with, even characters they decided to main! Look at you sucking right now as instead a challenge to overcome. Go to any appropriate subreddits and look up YouTube tutorials to practice any interesting strategies, techniques, or exploits in QP. Learn about Genji and what makes him tick. Believe that you can get better at him with practice, and understand that moments where you deliberately pull off awesome plays or just get a sincere "thank you" will be all the worth it.

So, if you like Genji, main him! If not, like I said, answer the above questions, find the character you have the most fun with, and just dive in. Good luck!
Not that finding a main is all too necessary, but the process should feel nature. Play a lot of different heroes, give them different attempts in different environments, you'll eventually find someone that clicks for you that just feels like a go-to when you don't know what else to do. I'm some sort of vague Ana-main and she clicked with immediately, I've always wanted a sniper-support in a video game and she filled that role perfectly. Always feels good to play her.
Play Genji then.

You enjoy him, there's no better reason to play a hero than that.

If you play him a lot, you'll naturally get better at him. Don't let how you are now stop you from progressing later.

Just be able to swap when needed. Especially if you go with Genji, who's a popular pick, so you won't always be able to be the one to play him.
I suggest playing what heroes interests you the most while also having at least one main tank and one main healer in your hero pool to flex to in case of emergencies.
You wanna have a pretty decent hero pool but most importantly you wanna decide if you wanna focus more on hitscans or projectiles. Don't rely too much on those 4 catagories to decide. The more you play with a certain hero the better you'll get with said hero.
I felt like I wasn't any good at the game, and that I didn't really like any heroes truly. And then they brought out Moira and it all changed :D Maybe your main hasn't been made yet, hang in there
Play someone that isn't really played often. I always enjoyed the feeling of playing reaper or mccree and destroying with a non-meta hero.
It should be natural after a while.
It took me around 150 levels to realise that Rein is the one that I'm best at and I find the most fun.
But you shouldn't limit yourself to just your main.
I find that it's good to have one character where you can do amazingly, and know how to play others well enough, so you won't get stuck in competetive when someone locks your main in before you.
just play your favorite hero no matter how bad you are at them and just try and get better.
My dude...It'll take a while. I've been playing this game for a WHILE but I only just figured out that I like Doomfist A LOT.

What really hit me was...I felt like playing him was FUN in comparison to others. You'll eventually learn how to play that hero better if you're having fun.

You should play as many heroes as you can. It'll help you figure it out. But...as I said, it takes TIME to learn whether or not they actually meld with you.
Thanks all!
12/19/2017 03:07 PMPosted by NoOne

That doesnt stop a lot of people :P

B-But thats impossible! Genji is OP and unkillable! You cant be bad at him, just hold right click and kill the healers, press deflect every once in a while and you win. Oh, and if you ult the whole team insta dies right?
you like lots of heroes? play all of them. The game wasn't designed for people to play a single hero anyways. 26 options and you, focusing all of your time and effort on a single one? That's depressing.
How do I decide who to main. I like Genji but I’m trash with him. I’m okay with
reaper and soldier but they’re boring to me. I don’t want to main the easiest hero possible. I’m constantly switching, so I’m not really all that great at a single hero. So could you guys tell me some potential ways to find a main.

Mystery Heroes is your friend.
It was an easy pick for me, i like to stay still and let aimbot turrets do the work for me.
It looks like you've given everyone a try. Continue to do so and narrow it down from there. You will find out soon enough what you are good at, whether it's healing, sniping, leading pushes, creating chaos, area denial, or even hacking. Everyone has a role to play.