PTR Testing - Movement Changes

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Hi all,

We’re making a change on our PTR servers shortly (no patch required!), that reworks some of how our heroes move and accelerate.

This was originally done to fix bugs on a couple heroes, but the changes are systemic and affect all Heroes.

Specifically, movement on the ground is much more consistent. Going up/down inclines will no longer affect the Hero’s speed. Previously, inclines could either make you move slightly faster or slightly slower, depending on the circumstances. Inclines will also no longer cause a small amount of strafing movement when moving diagonally on them. A side effect of these changes is characters will now have slightly better air control. For example, Winston previously was not able to easily make small adjustments to his flight path during his Jump Pack leap, but now he should be able to do that, and it is also noticeable on many of the other Heroes that are often in the air.

We think these changes will overall be great improvements but there might be some unintended side effects that we’d love your help finding on the PTR!

Thanks!
Highly Rated
I can't wait until one of these unintended side effects happens to effect Genji and the forum goes crazy for the next week.
Will this allow for speed bursts out of certain moves?

I guess I'll go test...
Thank you!
12/18/2017 02:53 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We’re making a change on our PTR servers shortly (no patch required!), that reworks some of how our heroes move and accelerate.
Will it affect Mei's freezing like how jumping no longer delays it anymore?
k
So super jump? Keeping it or letting it die with no word?
Maybe this can also give us more custom game options? I am not sure how, but maybe we can change how you can control heroes in midair, etc. Honestly I think movement options could be very fun if there was an option in custom games to make you able to have 4 teams. Maybe you could nerf some heroes a ton in the options to nerf their movement a ton and they could be less controlled making 4 teams more balanced. I don't want to gett too off topic, just wanted to give some feedback. This is a good idea, as I have honestly always felt movement was a little off in Overwatch and I think these changes sound great!
Highly Rated
Will this improve air control when booped?
Alright thanks for the update

Although I feel we could use the pet for so much more. Maybe testing radical ideas and see what stick, making it a core part about balance because ik you guys test multiple things but the finished product is what goes on ptr

Perhaps we could see the different options you guys chose from when you make a change and we can give feedback

I'm sure if this was what we did for the ptr a lot more players would play
So no more moira sick jumps with her vanish ability?
Buff Mei Popa
12/18/2017 03:03 PMPosted by idSurge
Will this allow for speed bursts out of certain moves?

I guess I'll go test...

Assuming its already implemented on PTR, the Moira/Doomfist type of boosts are still there.
Highly Rated
Will this affect Lucio's Boop? It's already incredibly frustrating how enemies can be standing on an edge and have enough air control to get back to solid ground because they weren't moving towards the pit of doom when Lucio hits them.

How about heroes with self-slows like Reinhardt, D.Va, and Orisa not being pushed as far, even if they impose the self-slow in midair? These heroes don't suddenly become heavier because they're moving slower, but Lucio and other knockback effects can't push them around.
Does this mean people will be able to wiggle and waggle mid air?

The whole reason I like how it is now is because when people jump, there's a definite arc path they will take, and I use that to exploit their bad habits by killing them when they jump.

With this change, and the way the winston section was worded, you're saying people will now be able to change their direction mid air?

I don't think I like the way this sounds...

I guess I'll have to go test it out.
10/10 post, so glad we got told about this in advance. Should prevent the million "OMG <X> moves different! NERF!" threads from cropping up.
But no comment whatsoever on the obvious ticking time bomb that is the Mercy feedback thread. Thanks.
12/18/2017 03:45 PMPosted by WhateverAlex
But no comment whatsoever on the obvious ticking time bomb that is the Mercy feedback thread. Thanks.

Ticking time bomb to what?

People love to put sensationalist titles on things. "If we don't hear a response, it's only going to get worse"

Nothing's getting worse. You're in a room of mirrors yelling at yourselves thinking the world is burning down, when nothing is going to happen after any sort of time period.

Relax.