Guide to new Communication Options for Console Players

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Hello to all of you who play on Console! With the update that came on January 9th (today as of this post), I'm sure you guys might be trying to figure out how to say communication lines such as "Attack/Defend the Objective!" or "Come to me for Healing!". Not to fear, for this thread will explain that process to you guys. This is intended for the use of communication wheel commands and targeting teammates for them.

As a general note, to be able to use these communications, you have to bind a specific communication wheel option to a button on your controller.

On that note, here's the list:
  • "Attack/Defend the Objective!": Look at the Objective marker, and use Acknowledge.
  • "My ultimate is ready! Let's do this!": Look at the teammate you'd like to direct this to, and use Ultimate Charge. Ultimate must be 100% charged to say this line.
  • "I'm with you!": Look at the teammate you'd like to direct this to, and use Group Up.
  • "Come to me for Healing!": Look at the teammate you'd like to direct this to, and use Need Healing. You must be on a healer for this one to happen. Your character will say "Group up", but the chat will say "Come to me for Healing!", so don't be confused on this one.
  • "I need Armor!": Look at your ally Torbjorn, and use Need Healing.
  • "I need a Barrier!": Look at your ally Zarya, and use Need Healing.
  • "I need Healing!": Look at an ally Healer, and use Need Healing. Directing this one to a teammate does not work if you're not looking at a healer, Torbjorn, or Zarya.

I think that covers the main ones. I know that you can direct the other call-outs on the communication wheel to teammates, but I did not mention them as they work similarly to what would be said if you did not target it to a teammate.

To the PC players out there, if there are any that I missed that you guys know are possible through these communication options on the wheel, please post what it says and how to do it, and I will update this post accordingly. Same case as well if any of these are wrong. We on Console only got this update today, so most of us on Console don't necessarily know how to do these as of right now.

Have fun!
Bumping this thread up. Are there any that I've missed/are wrong, or any feedback?

Please let me know!
Did this really just happen? Amazing! I've been looking forward to this for ages! :)
You can also thank individual players
01/09/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Doinks
You can also thank individual players

01/09/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Eternity
I know that you can direct the other call-outs on the communication wheel to teammates, but I did not mention them as they work similarly to what would be said if you did not target it to a teammate.

Or is this wrong for that specific one?
Were these really not in the console version? They've been in the PC version since the start. I thought they were standard.
01/09/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Eck
Were these really not in the console version? They've been in the PC version since the start. I thought they were standard.

They weren't.

Or at the least, there was no way for us to be able to do it if those communications were there. This was because we didn't have the ability to bind the communication wheel options to a button on the controller.

At least, not until the update that struck today of course. ;P
Thank you for this! c:
Commenting so I can come back to this later
01/09/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Eck

We've been lacking a lot of stuff from what PC has had from early days. At least this is fixed now, it will make communication so much easier than just the standard wheel.
Thanks will check this out when i awake.
Huh, was wondering how to do all that. Now the real question is what effing buttons can I bind them to lol. If you get one of those little keyboard extensions for a controller, will it allow you to bind to the keys on there?
Or just plug in your mic.
01/10/2018 04:00 AMPosted by tpfang56
Huh, was wondering how to do all that. Now the real question is what effing buttons can I bind them to lol. If you get one of those little keyboard extensions for a controller, will it allow you to bind to the keys on there?

Agreed, anybody have keybind suggestions? For Mercy I really only have the left d-pad button open.
01/10/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Reefy

Agreed, anybody have keybind suggestions? For Mercy I really only have the left d-pad button open.

The only places available to bind for all characters are up, down, and left on the d-pad (if you don’t care about accessing sprays or the entire com wheel) and left trigger.

Hell, if they have keyboard extension support (not normal KB/M but those little controller attachments) that would allow us a lot more freedom to bind our sprays, emotes, commands, etc. Maybe we could even get a “push to talk” option for our mics and a proper text chat too!
Oh god im so excited
Thank you for this, I don't understand why Blizzard never put how these work or where to find the new features in patch notes.

I interpreted the recent patch as being able to map "I need healing" to a button on the controller which to me? Seems pointless unless you've got extra paddles for that.
01/10/2018 04:03 AMPosted by Awardments
Or just plug in your mic.

Kind of difficult to say this if your teammates aren't in voice chat to begin with. And not many people are in voice chat.

Question 1: Whatever buttons you like :P
Question 2: Couldn't answer that

This is just my general control scheme. There are a couple character-dependent changes that I have. Also this is expressed in terms of a PS4 Controller since it's the Console I play on:

Primary fire: R1
Secondary fire/Ability 3 (Ability 3 in this case means things like Lucio Boop, Doomfist Rocket Punch, Soldier Helix Rocket, etc.): L1
Ability 1: L2
Ability 2: R2
Melee: R3
Ultimate: L3
Jump: X (or Cross; it's Xbox's A button equivalent)
Crouch (not Toggle Crouch): Circle
Reload: Square
Spray Menu: Up on D-pad
Communication Menu: Down on D-pad
Hello: Triangle
Acknowledge: Left on D-pad
Ultimate Charge: Right on D-pad

As you can see, I removed the hero-info. control and made adjustments since most of these controls I got used to on said buttons because I used to play CoD.

01/10/2018 05:22 AMPosted by SuperJedders
Thank you for this, I don't understand why Blizzard never put how these work or where to find the new features in patch notes.

I interpreted the recent patch as being able to map "I need healing" to a button on the controller which to me? Seems pointless unless you've got extra paddles for that.

Can't answer the first statement, as I don't know either :P
On the second statement though: Every character can have at least 3 free controls. While yes small, it's enough to be able to at least bind the necessary communication wheel options onto the Controller.

This is just my general control scheme. There are a couple character-dependent changes that I have. Also this is expressed in terms of a PS4 Controller since it's the Console I play on:

Primary fire: R1
Secondary fire/Ability 3 (Ability 3 in this case means things like Lucio Boop, Doomfist Rocket Punch, Soldier Helix Rocket, etc.): L1
Ability 1: L2
Ability 2: R2
Melee: R3
Ultimate: L3
Jump: X (or Cross; it's Xbox's A button equivalent)
Crouch (not Toggle Crouch): Circle
Reload: Square
Spray Menu: Up on D-pad
Communication Menu: Down on D-pad
Hello: Triangle
Acknowledge: Left on D-pad
Ultimate Charge: Right on D-pad

As you can see, I removed the hero-info. control and made adjustments since most of these controls I got used to on said buttons because I used to play CoD.

I'll play around with it and find what suits me best then. Personally I have my highlight capture on L3 and accidentally press it all the time during this game so that would be a disaster, but other than that I'll keep your set up in mind xD