Why does Genji deflect melee?

General Discussion
Highly Rated
I’m not talking about it from a logic perspective, as I stopped that when I realized Reaper can pull infinite shotguns from his armpits.
I’m talking about this from a design perspective.
If he’s supposed to be such a high risk, high reward hero, why does he get to do this?
Even barriers (except Zarya) can’t block melee damage!
This just feels unnecessary, obnoxious, and forgiving.
That’s on top of the dash escape and wall climbing out of many situations!
It’s not like making melee damage hurt him would make him garbage, just less forgiving and actually a three star hero.
If you punch at a guy flailing a sword around, that's probably going to hurt.
Highly Rated
What I don't understand is how can he Deflects Reinhardt hammer even though it's way bigger than Genji
Because it's Genji
12/20/2017 08:31 PMPosted by NiceGenji
What I don't understand is how can he Deflects Reinhardt hammer even though it's way bigger than Genji
I wouldn't question the strength behind someone that can deflect the bullets from a minigun honestly.
It would be really dumb if he cant deflect melee and he would get smacked everytime he used it because the only way he can cancel it was with swift strike.

It practically makes Genji a counter to rein, it's bloody ridiculous. Got a Genji on my Mercy so I turn around to whack him? Lol, nope.

i dont understand how a 61 year old man can lift a hammer, swing it multiple times, and still have back pain.
Dont forget the insanely busted deflect hitbox.
12/20/2017 08:37 PMPosted by mysticdragon

i dont understand how a 61 year old man can lift a hammer, swing it multiple times, and still have back pain.

Consider that armor got engine, I think it is powered exoskeleton.
12/20/2017 08:35 PMPosted by Josteen
It would be really dumb if he cant deflect melee and he would get smacked everytime he used it because the only way he can cancel it was with swift strike.
exactly the point
if melee worked then genji could not just deflect in the middle of the enemy team and walk away like nothing happened.

Genji would actually have to CHOOSE his engagements rather than running into virtually any situation with little risk.

Right now people hate genji because he is so forgiving despite being "hard" to play. We are not talking about the good genjis with skill but the bad genjis that rely on all those forgiving mechanics. All those minuscule design advantages add up and make fighting genji unfun since even a terrible terrible genji can give even a great player trouble, with little effort or skill from the genji. I am a bad genji and have done this way too many times to be comfortable with.

Genji has too many crutches for a game that thought that ana having 80 damage over 1.5 seconds was too much damage. Remember this is the same game where sombra has 2 of her MAIN ABILITIES disrupted by damage. So why can genji do it all.....

Imagine if deflect could be interrupted by damage..... the sweet cries of the genjis would fill my dreams and zarya would be there to guard for genji nightmares. There would be actual counterplay to deflect since now a player can risk dying to get around and hit genji from an angle to cancel deflect early if theres time
It makes sense for Genji to deflect melee attacks.

It makes less sense for it to deflect gravitational anomalies and make them conveniently forget which side they are supposed to effect.

From a design perspective simply stopping an enemy attack is just fine but making an enemy attack your own, especially an ultimate, is stupidly strong.
He doesnt deflect it. He blocks it
12/20/2017 08:37 PMPosted by mysticdragon

Or maybe that's why he has back pain~_~
Well, there's this:

https://youtu.be/UgJLvtx5PzI?t=1m10s
12/20/2017 08:40 PMPosted by jk2l
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Consider that armor got engine, I think it is powered exoskeleton.

and Genji is a cyborg.
Melee damage used to go through his deflect at some point over the past year. I recall it being a viable tactic to punish deflecting Genjis.

It was removed for some reason though. I honestly find it frustrating myself as there has been many times were I have whittled a Genji down and then he just deflects so I can't shoot him nor melee him, swift strikes, then runs away.

Good luck getting Blizz to revert any changes they make though.
I been asking this the question ever since I realize how broken his deflect can be.... allow counter plays to his deflect... if not then simply add a cast time...

They did it to Mercy... don't see why they can't implied the same to Genji.
12/20/2017 08:30 PMPosted by Pakaku

I like how the first response disregards OP's statement about throwing logic out the window because it opens a can of worms.

Like, this isn't even about genji mains or any other main on this forum, can this level of stupidity just stop? It's not even faux ignorance, it's outright inflammatory garbage.
12/20/2017 08:30 PMPosted by Pakaku

ok i'll flail a sword around for realz, and you punch at me bro