I should always play the passive D.Va

General Discussion
Being aggresive with her is not a very good idea. She has massive critbox in the middle of her hitbox and she slows down while firing. She still can dive and kill squishies but it's safer for all you'll stick your supports and help secure kills from burst firing at the enemy team.
if you're passive you're going to lose more than you win.
It's circumstantial. She can dive, flank and fight head-on but everything depends on situations. Personally I'm aggressive when on defence but more passive with attack.

...but every players plays differently. There's no wrong or right.
you gotta balance both. Just know when to be aggressive and when not to. Key can engage fast and disengage fast.

But whenever i play her i mainly concern myself with Pharah and peeling for my healers if they in trouble.

Since DM nerf, not much you can do defensively. Your only choice is offense and body block if needed (which she’s not even good at).
She is a bully tank, meant to be aggressive in all situations, hell I tell me healers not to follow me in because where I am, that is where all the enemies are and I don't want my healers to die, usually wind up with PoTG and gold elims and damage to boot lol.
Sounds like you're not communicating with your team
if you're getting blasted down, it means you're not with any DPS
12/21/2017 03:11 PMPosted by Izanami

I tried to be aggresive and push the enemy team back but it ended up by my death since I can't hold up such a thing with 0 help from my team. I don't even need to fly into a weak enemy Pharah to finish her off. I can just track on her. That's less risky than just yolo and probably lose tracking because you also need to control your flight. The dev team drained up her survivability on the DM changes and she just made with higher damage output but a lot of higher risk levels since her missiles hurt her too. Also in my overall rank level of play you put yourself in a danger if you just get close to the enemy. That's not like someone pockets me (and they're not) and I can just go and shoot at literally everything I see on the screen.
12/21/2017 03:17 PMPosted by lilpeep
Sounds like you're not communicating with your team
if you're getting blasted down, it means you're not with any DPS

No one owns a mic :D
12/21/2017 03:20 PMPosted by ImAMistake
12/21/2017 03:11 PMPosted by Izanami

I tried to be aggresive and push the enemy team back but it ended up by my death since I can't hold up such a thing with 0 help from my team. I don't even need to fly into a weak enemy Pharah to finish her off. I can just track on her. That's less risky than just yolo and probably lose tracking because you also need to control your flight. The dev team drained up her survivability on the DM changes and she just made with higher damage output but a lot of higher risk levels since her missiles hurt her too. Also in my overall rank level of play you put yourself in a danger if you just get close to the enemy. That's not like someone pockets me (and they're not) and I can just go and shoot at literally everything I see on the screen.

dude you're gold. any amount of aggression just wins you the game. this sounds like a problem of you not knowing how to be aggressive.
12/21/2017 03:10 PMPosted by ImAMistake
Being aggresive with her is not a very good idea. She has massive critbox in the middle of her hitbox and she slows down while firing. She still can dive and kill squishies but it's safer for all you'll stick your supports and help secure kills from burst firing at the enemy team.

For me, she needs to be played as a mix of both for maximum value. Most of the time I stick with my team (specifically as a bodyguard for my backline healers), but if I spot a lone target I yo-yo out, try to confirm a quick kill, then try to get back to the team again. Some times it works, some times not so much, but as a general rule of thumb I just try to ensure that I never extend further than a single full boost distance from the main body of my team. That way I can usually get back to them if I run into trouble, while still being able to take opportunistic 1v1s as and when the opportunity arises. You have to be a lot smarter about which fights to take now, but that isn't to say you can't take any.
12/21/2017 03:23 PMPosted by Izanami
12/21/2017 03:20 PMPosted by ImAMistake

dude you're gold. any amount of aggression just wins you the game. this sounds like a problem of you not knowing how to be aggressive.

If you'll play instead of me you'll understand why literally every dps player I have on my team blames me for either pushing into the objective or waiting for the team to come and then push, or just I switch to Tracer or something like that to mess the enemy team up and all this stuff, and all of this happens because I didn't play the hero they wanted me to play and played something with value for the team. I don't have that much problem of being aggresive but taking a 1v3 with D.Va is not the best thing to do when you have dps players who are worse than me on hitscans (I have a little bit of positioning issue as hitscan/I'm just bad at close range hitscan like Reaper.) and when you see your Genji or whoever it was trying to take a 1v6 you just wanna jump off a very high mountain top.
I dont play a lot of dva but if i do, i say being aggressive is possible if your team truly back you up especially a good ana. Having ana as dva is so fun.
12/21/2017 03:10 PMPosted by ImAMistake

So lets just evaluate this:

Play Passive - You theoretically dont die as often, cause your hanging out in the mid line. But you dont deal any effective Damage, You cant block damage effectively due to changes on DM. Youre still a large target so you will still be a fairly large and noticeable target. You wont build ult charge that fast.

Play Aggressive - More likely to die. Much higher damage output (assuming you dont suck at aiming and tracking.) More of a priority target for enemy teams, so they focus less yoru team than theres. More effective use of DM, faster Ult charge.

You get more bang for your buck aggressively than passively. The issue people seem to be confused about is that people conflate being aggressive with going full Ham. Like hardcore ham mode.

"Look at me! Im DVa! Imma just charge right into the enemy team with all six of them there and no proper follow up or defense!!!!"

-5 Seconds later-

"WTF!?! HOWD I DIE!? DVA SUX! SHES TO FLIMSY! SHE NEEDS MORE ARMOR! THIS IS BS!!!!"

Thats not beign aggressive. Thats being an idiot. You gotta pick your fights, know when and where to engage, and what you can trade with and what you cant. The people who go ham and get blown up in 5 seconds are idiots doing it wrong. I dont personally understand why they have that mentality with DVa. You dive into the enemy team by yourself with Rein, youre gonna die. Like straight up. So why do people think DVa is somehow an exception.

Play aggressive, but play smart.
In a proper game, you should be busy as a bee when playing D.Va! You must be the judge of what you think is the most important task you can accomplish in a given circumstance, but your tasks include:
  • Assisting your DPS or another tank (e.g., Rein, Winston) in securing a kill.
  • Chasing after and finishing off near-dead runners.
  • Boosting into Roadhog's face and throwing up your DM should he hook one of your teammates.
  • Peeling for your supports, including flying up to give your Mercy an escape point to GA to in the sky, especially when tires, the 'fist, angry monkeys, and angry Japanese men go after her.
  • Aggressively flying around using your boost+melee combo to disorient the enemy and create space.
  • Flying up and killing enemy Pharahs.
  • Flying up and DMing your Pharah during her ultimate (even with a 2 second DM, might save her life!)
  • Chasing and killing enemy supports.
  • Sneaking behind the enemy Widowmaker and dumping all your firepower on her from behind while she's too focused sniping to react.
  • Flying straight up, look down and while dropping, blow your missiles and guns on large groups of enemies below.
  • Saving your Mercy from floating to her death when knocked off a cliff or into a bottomless pit
  • Flying back to spawn to pick up your respawning Mercy to usher her back into the fight faster.
  • Being a distraction by standing on top of a side ledge and shooting at clumps of opponents to break their focus off your team, or to turn the enemy Reinhardt's shield around.
  • Standing back with your shield tank and DMing high-damage burst projectiles to help hold a choke point.
  • Taking the long path, flying over rooftops and attempting to backcap or pull the enemy team away from a choke to allow your team to push in.
  • Seeking out and destroying turrets, teleporters, and shield generators.
Since the changes to defence matrix, and missiles+shooting while flying, she works much better as a diver. Taking out lone targets quickly or teaming up with a flanker or winston are what she does best. She can still mitigate important damage, but if you play her passively she won't get value out of her own damage and she'll be a very easy target just sitting around taking damage. Her changes favour aggression. Her mobility also allows her to peel for supports etc. if need be.
You're just bad at it. Aggressive D.vas are a serious pita right now. She doesn't block as well as she used to, but she's incredible at getting kills when played right. I don't play her aggressively that well either. So this isn't mean to knock on you. But sometimes you just gotta recognize when something is a "me" problem. I got better at it since the rework. And you can too. The first step is admitting it.
I'd say it's better to play her aggressively but you need to back off quite often for heals
When you're having these problems are you solo tanking as dva by chance?
I disagree. You could play 4sec matrix D.Va passively (like a mini Rein basically) but that doesn't work anymore. I used to play D.Va passively and have spend many hours since the rework trying to figure out a more agressive playstyle. I think I've finally figured it out, the end result is that I'm now better at D.Va and my rank shows. I can now play at mid diamond with little issue. I think I can finally climb to high diamond now and slowly work my way to master. Previously mid diamond is where I would peak then I'd spend most of my season in low diamond and sometimes drop to plat.

If you keep playing D.Va passively you're not going to get far. Part of your job as a tank is after all to create space for your team, not just babysit your healers the whole game.
Personally aggressive D.Va compliments my playstyle on her anyway, so I'm okay with the changes even though the defence matrix nerf hurts. It means that people who used to use her more passively need to adapt though, or find a new hero, which is a bit sad but sometimes that's just how it works.