Movement changes

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Since the latest update the movement feels really unnatural and unresponsive making it difficult to aim as I used to, and not being able to play heroes I enjoy playing such as Tracer effectively. It feels clumsy and in my opinion was way better before. What are your opinions on the change? If it was brought to blizzards attention would they possibly revert the changes too? It just feels broken at the moment and not intuitive
The momentum rework has to be reverted for at least Lucio. As a Lucio main myself I can say that these changes to momentum make him lose all of his speed. Lucio is meant to be a nimble and quick character but with these changes he moves too sensitively after even one wallride which then in turn turns him into a clumsy character that smashes into walls often. It is weird how when he B-hops but changes straf direction right before you hit the ground because you are barely moving in the straf direction but once you are in the air again (remember B-hopping) you gain a ton of speed in your straf direction. This new momentum when strafing completely destroys Lucio's speed if you try to turn the mouse at all in the direction of the straf. At any higher speed than walking, air strafing becomes super sensitive and uncontrollable. This may be a good change for other heros but Lucio would become worse than he already is. The removal of wall skimming with scroll wheel to gain a ton of speed was removed and if this goes through Lucio will be unplayable.
01/09/2018 03:43 PMPosted by mohound
The momentum rework has to be reverted for at least Lucio. As a Lucio main myself I can say that these changes to momentum make him lose all of his speed. Lucio is meant to be a nimble and quick character but with these changes he moves too sensitively after even one wallride which then in turn turns him into a clumsy character that smashes into walls often. It is weird how when he B-hops but changes straf direction right before you hit the ground because you are barely moving in the straf direction but once you are in the air again (remember B-hopping) you gain a ton of speed in your straf direction. This new momentum when strafing completely destroys Lucio's speed if you try to turn the mouse at all in the direction of the straf. At any higher speed than walking, air strafing becomes super sensitive and uncontrollable. This may be a good change for other heros but Lucio would become worse than he already is. The removal of wall skimming with scroll wheel to gain a ton of speed was removed and if this goes through Lucio will be unplayable.

I agree about lucio being negatively effected by the new movement but playing heros such as tracer too and blinking mid air and firing really feels broken too, I just hope it is not in the game to stay or that they fix it. Both characters rely on quick speed and fast changes of direction making this change pretty breaking for them both
has this already been hotfixed? playing tracer in practice range and not noticing any difference really.
Feels absolutely awful. OP i agree with everything you said. Feels clumsy and clunky.
01/09/2018 03:54 PMPosted by MUSCLEGOD
has this already been hotfixed? playing tracer in practice range and not noticing any difference really.

No I don't think so, well many people agree and it does feel very different and in a bad way
of course it would feel weird! because it's new! that's how everything new is usually, it takes time to get used to -_- honestly people would post just anything
We're watching feedback to movement changes very closely. The more detailed you can be (like some of the responses above) the better as it will really help us hone in on what was an intended change versus a bug.

To be clear, many of the movement changes we made were to address long-standing bugs and other movement oddities. Some of these players never even noticed. For example, previously when moving down a slope at an angle, you were strafing whether you intended to or not.

In order to address bugs with heroes such as Reinhardt and Doomfist, some of the movement code had to be re-written. It's obviously some of the most important code in the game so if there are problems, please help us by providing specific examples and we'll take a look.

Thanks for helping out.
01/09/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We're watching feedback to movement changes very closely. The more detailed you can be (like some of the responses above) the better as it will really help us hone in on what was an intended change versus a bug.

To be clear, many of the movement changes we made were to address long-standing bugs and other movement oddities. Some of these players never even noticed. For example, previously when moving down a slope at an angle, you were strafing whether you intended to or not.

In order to address bugs with heroes such as Reinhardt and Doomfist, some of the movement code had to be re-written. It's obviously some of the most important code in the game so if there are problems, please help us by providing specific examples and we'll take a look.

Thanks for helping out.

Ok, this is nice then :)
Doomfist now feels kinda wired to play with.
because after the rocket punch the jump is a small delay which actually destroys some sort of techs which you normally could do before this patch went live.

Also the Camera Lock while u are charging with ur Rocket punch wasnt like this.

Thanks for helping out.

Hello Jeff. It appears that the movement changes have removed some of the very high skill maneuvers Doomfist was able to do. Before, if you turned during your rocket punch regardless of charge and pressed space, you would do what is known as a turn punch and could rapidly change directions with it. Now, these jumps feel very floaty and there is a noticeable delay after space is pressed. Moreso, the low charge turn punches are completely impossible it seems and those were the highest skill maneuvers that Doomfist could do. Only the high charge ones work and even then, they feel like they have a lot more curve to it.

Thank you for the insight!

Thanks for helping out.

It probably just feels new to people's brains, but I will say it's noticeable, I think Winston is probably buffed from it, but I can see why Lucio might be losing some speed while jumping in some situations. Tracer feels mostly the same, and while it feels like she is slowing down mid air more, I think it's also allowing her to juke better in mid air. Thing is, if you want her to keep up the speed while jumping you basically have to WASD correctly while aim turning and that's the problem people are having, because she slows down if you can't maintain the exact direction she jumped in while aim turning mid air. WASD might not be precise enough to be able to ever do it either, in comparison with a Joy Stick on a console controller. So this is why she feels sloppy in the air now because she's usually aiming and shooting even while jumping.
also no more railing kills for doomfist? look at that clip:

http://plays.tv/video/5a5581088c8a897235/no-more-railing-kills-
The new movement change feels really really bad, in particular for Tracer.

Previously, you could jump and shoot seamlessly and the mouse would go where you wanted. The new update makes it so that your movement up in the air feels really jerky/jagged, making your mouse spazz out going in all sorts of direction.

For a character that's about all about mobility, this change makes jumping incredibly jarring and I can only say that it feels reaaally bad.

Please consider reverting this change.
This is know as a turn punch: https://clips.twitch.tv/SavageAmusedLEDWOOP

Before the patch, it could be done on rocket punch that is barely charged. After the movement patch, it is impossible to do the barely charged turn punches.

Also, jumping out of the rocket punch(as in, canceling it with a jump) feels more delayed, by that i mean, it feels like you gain control over doomfist a bit later than before. It makes the fully charged turn punch feel less controllable.

The word "feel" that i used doesn't mean its just subjective, it is objectively different than it was.
I actually like it alot as Winstion, much more control over my Movement mid air
Hey Jeff Kaplan, Im a heavy doomfist main. I've been noticing as a result of these movement changes along with the fix to the bouncy bug (this is an assumption, don't know for certain that this is causing the issue) you can no longer as effectively perform a variant of turn punch jumps (where you would turn your camera while punching and at the end of the punch you would jump and your momentum would follow the camera's direction). This is primarily affecting the version of it which we call a small turn punch jump, where you charge the punch for about 1 of the 4 bars or less.

It is currently impossible to do without charging it more, and even at max or close to max charge this tech is very inconsistent now, often resulting in a negligible angle of 15 degrees or 35 compared to the average of 62+ degrees I could get before. Being one of the most useful techs a doomfist player could use, I used it quite often.

This quick turn punch jump was useful as it allowed me to quickly get to my opponent to uppercut them and then shoot to kill, while also moving in a manner that forced my opponent to adjust their aim. Now I would be forced to use a small jump punch (no camera turning) and go directly to the target instead, removing the opponent's need to adjust their aim just so I can ensure I actually end up next to them to set up the kill on them.

if you could have some people investigate this, it would mean a great deal to all of us who use doomfist's advanced techniques; simply because without stuff like this doomfist becomes much less reliable. Rather that he loses a large portion of his effectiveness in general. Now, on another problem I've noticed (I really don't know what it is or what is causing it though), the rocket punch seems to sometimes be inconsistent in startup or speed in general after the patch. I can't explain it much past this other than it feels like the sort of thing I would experience on a high latency server, but my ping is 50ish ms compared to the 180ish ms I would need for it to happen on the last patch.

Lastly, iSinner has been trying to make contact with you guys again about several new doomfist bugs and old doomfist bugs you claim to have fixed but are not actually fixed, he has a reddit post with 10k+ upvotes about 16+ new doomfist bugs and I'm fairly certain he's made a new thread on these forums about it too.

Thanks for helping out.

Thanks for helping out.
Can we idk, be more communicative during the PTR process then? Because we didn't know what was intended and what wasn't etc while it was on the PTR and its kinda BS its now pushed live and we're testing it there....