Why does everyone hate genji mains?

General Discussion
Remember the old 2d fighting games? remember that one hero that could win the entire game by spamming a leg sweep? thats genji. People pretend he is hard to use despite all the extra abilities, passives and animation cancels that make him easy to use. They are just spamming leg sweeps. That is why people dislike him.
12/16/2017 10:10 PMPosted by Silawatsi
The problem is when a flanker extends past their healers range, and still expects healing.

Healers are vulnerable, they can't risk going into the enemy backline or separate themselves from their team to top off someone who is only missing 2 HP when your tank is at critical and several other people are at low health.

It's called triage.

I'm pretty sure that no one in their right mind expects their healer to actually heal them on the other side of the map. If they do, then they need to rethink their life.

However

Things such as:

a) Keeping an eye on the flanker and be ready to heal him really quickly once he comes to you

b) If you're playing Zen, position yourself as to have maximum LOS for harmony orb which makes an entire world of difference. Harmony orb should literally almost always be either on an another support, flanker or a regular DPS character. Placing it on tanks is extremely inefficient. This doesn't hold if someone is near death. Then you harmony him. But otherwise, purely by default, it should never be on a tank unless the tank is solo tanking.

c) If you're Lucio, go on an adventure and follow your flanker.
Because, they got a reputation from 9 year olds locking onto genji and doing nothing for their team. Now its just a stereotype that every genji is bad, which sucks.
The problem is when a flanker extends past their healers range, and still expects healing.

Healers are vulnerable, they can't risk going into the enemy backline or separate themselves from their team to top off someone who is only missing 2 HP when your tank is at critical and several other people are at low health.

It's called triage.

I'm pretty sure that no one in their right mind expects their healer to actually heal them on the other side of the map. If they do, then they need to rethink their life.

However

Things such as:

a) Keeping an eye on the flanker and be ready to heal him really quickly once he comes to you

You just hit the nail on the head. Some players have unrealistic expectations of their healer, starting with the belief that pressing "I need healing" should immediately get them healed, no matter where they are or what they're doing.

I do keep an eye on all my teammates, and I love it when flankers come to me for healing. They move up a rung on my priority ladder when they're so cooperative. I wish more of them would do it, instead of ignoring their health bar or expecting you to drop everything and come to them.
12/16/2017 10:16 PMPosted by Eihder
Remember the old 2d fighting games? remember that one hero that could win the entire game by spamming a leg sweep? thats genji. People pretend he is hard to use despite all the extra abilities, passives and animation cancels that make him easy to use. They are just spamming leg sweeps. That is why people dislike him.

Yeah, reminds me of Soldier form Tf2, sure his rocket jumps gave him depth and he had a decent skill ceiling, but like Genji, they both have low skill floors that don't take long to get used to
I don't think it’s necessarily Genji mains but dps mains as a whole.

I’ve always felt people generally pick the class or archetype they most identify with. Tank mains are the people that would throw themselves in the line of fire for you, supports want to keep everyone alive, but dps...dps want to get kills. It’s selflessness vs selfishness and people recognize that.
Because they came on forums and read what people said about people that played Genji then labeled everyone that plays him as the stereotype they created.

Pretty much brainless people repeating someone else some other brainless person said then holding it as the holy word of the forums
12/16/2017 10:45 PMPosted by Xplo
Pharah's jump jets aren't reset when she gets a kill.

Mei can't place a wall when she's in an ice block.

Dva's DM is not as large as Reins shield.

What allows Genji to have these selective hidden aspects to his kit, but not the likes of any other hero in this game? That's what needs to be changed, if he cannot have other heros buffed to become counters. He needs to be more inline with other heros, and this double-dicking where any nerf he gets, is applied to every other hero, won't cut it either. Rein and Lucio got indirect nerfs because of that, and they were balanced before. Then Bastion and Mei have crappy ults already, but hey at least every transformation ult is the same!

This is why so many people get frustrated with him, not because MUH HE KILLED ME. It's because he killed me by deflecting, Dashing to cancel the animation, melee while dashing for an extra 30 damage (80 total), then double jumping on my head and landing 3 shurkins (headshot or not, it's still 84-168 damage, near-instant).
12/16/2017 09:57 PMPosted by Silawatsi
Unfortunately, Genji attracts scummy players like flies to rotting meat. While there are good and very polite Genji players out there (I've met my fair share of them, they're lovely people), their presence is overshadowed by the extremely vocal Genji players who are immature brats.

I came to say this as well. I have no issue with the hero, but it just seems like there's an inflated ego that comes along with actual Genji players that I don't see with many others except maybe Hanzo mains, and even they're not as prolific jerks as the Genjis seem to be. 8 out of 10 Genjis that I meet are the type to either teabag after every kill or sh!t talk after every kill. It's okay to get a kill and walk away with honour. You don't need to be a d!ck about every single kill. Not sure why it seems to be this way, however maybe it's an age thing in the sense of maturity levels of the people who gravitate to his play style. Idk.
One of my issues with Genji mains is that you cannot have a calm discussion with them.
Compare abilities, use facts, show examples, its all met with knee jerk reactions of "GENJI IS BALANCED! HE NEEDS TO HAVE AN INVISIBLE 5M DEFLECT THAT WRAPS AROUND HIM!"

the next thing is the lie they perpetuate that "genji is the hardest character to play". He isn't. He might have a high skill ceiling, but that isnt the same thing. He has a low skill floor and is easy to pick up and do well with. Plus Genji has the most forgiving, overloaded kit in Overwatch.

If Genji mains didnt do those 2 things. I wouldn't mind them as much.
People that main someone (I'm talking about 90% of play time in a season being spent on that hero) is okay by me. Genji mains, Hanzo mains, Widow, Mccree, Dva, Mercy, Junk, Bastion, Blah, Blah, Blah, it's whatever. If you're doing well, if you're useful in games, if you have over 55% win rate, 20+ hours played, you're probably pretty nice at that hero; do you.

My issue is (Genji/Hanzo mains are probably the worst at this) when they refuse to switch off. Play whoever, however, as much as you want in QP, just not in competitive. When you are being countered, when you're doing absolutely nothing positive for you team, when you don't synergize with your comp at all, if they're triple tanking, when you're just completely useless, please switch. I do have to agree with a lot of people on this thread that when you try to talk a Genji into switch, even being as polite as possible, it's 99% of the time met with a childish reaction.

Genji: "Yeah, well I have gold elims, so..."
Soldier: "Yeah, so do I; it's three. Switch, please, the tanks are too much. You'll do well as a Re-"
Genji: "YOU GO REAPER THEN!" *needs healing

I know we all have our bad games, I know stats aren't the best show of one's ability early on in a season, but if you have hours played, if you've won 30 games and lost 70 with Genji, if you have very below average stats, if you've spent 3 minutes in 100 games "On Fire", he's PROBABLY not the hero for you. Try flexing for your team, learn two heroes for each role. If you must main a single hero, try a lower skill one... like Junkrat.
My 2cents

• Getting killed by Gengi feels cheap.
  • He got an suto-taunt after killing you.
  • His "I need healing" voiceline can stuck in your mind if you happen to play support.
  • Deflect animation does not match actual hitbox.
  • I’m a zen main so I usually work well with flankers but there are two types of flankers. There are the good flankers that stay in or close to my line of sight and know the location of health packs when I can’t heal them and they know a good escape route to get out of the fight when they get low. Then there are the bad flankers that are constantly out of line of sight spamming “I need healing” after they are dead.

I find that a lot of flankers think they deserve priority healing, yes flankers don’t have a lot of health and can die easily at times but flankers can also escape from danger easily most of the time.
    12/16/2017 09:30 PMPosted by TinyTauren
    Because they do nothing but lock genji no matter what, just dive in and die until they get their ult.. which they die using anyways, and he is one of the more op heros that require little skill to use other than button mashing

If he’s so OP and takes such little skill to use beyond button mashing

Why do you have an average of 1.3 elims per life with him?
    12/16/2017 10:19 PMPosted by TwixSnickers
    c) If you're Lucio, go on an adventure and follow your flanker.

12/16/2017 10:19 PMPosted by TwixSnickers

FYI, at diamond or even at high platinum, some people with good aim can make mincemeat out of lucios. You should really follow your own advice, because you sound like someone who barely played healers.

Checked your stats; yup, you never played healers. What was I even expecting lmao.
    Bad comunication.
    Bad choice makers.
    Bad at being polite. (Not all, but some)
    Bad at showing pride (saying “person x is better than me” out loud)
    Blames constantly even though they’re the problem.
    Defends the kit with thier lives.

Idk that’s it really. Don’t get me wrong, I have some nice genji’s, but only once in a blue moon. The rest are spoiled toddlers who button mash and spam “I need healing” and full hp.
    they think that they are the masters of the game who understand everything and the game is nothing without them

+ they fight away from the fkn team
    Genji mains believes these kind of stuff:
    - they're unstoppable.
    - Only them can carry his team and lead them to victory
    - If he needs healing, everyone should protect him and heal him because he's a god!!!
    - If he dies cuz he randomly attacking 6vs1 himself and blame it on everyone else but himself.
    - Starts raging no matter what
    - Crying everytime someone kills him
    - His broken OP Q and ''skilled'' skillzz are so amusing that he actually think he's pro at what he's doing

Genji mains should just Q themselves.
    Because he has no counters and he's abilities are have infinite uses.
    12/16/2017 10:16 PMPosted by Eihder

This is a pretty common misconception.

Giving a Hero the tools to "Outplay" someone with a press of a button does not make it require more skill to play the Hero.

After all, what's harder? Sneaking behind the enemy team as the guy with the power to turn invisible, or doing so with the fat man with the Minigun?

Genji's kit looks flashy and he has the tools in his arsenal to negate basically everything someone else could throw at him and easily escape from a fight that's going south.

The thing is, too many people mistake that for the player in and of themselves being actually skilled.

Just because you picked the hero with a 3s CD blink doesn't mean you have better Gamesense than the guy who no escape. It means you have a escape skill that lets you not bother with gamesense as much.