Why does Moira's ball go through shields?

General Discussion
I'm not a mad person who just got Moira'd as a shield character, I'm wondering how it works. All other projectiles will be stopped when they hit a barrier, but Moira's ball just goes through it. Is it intentional?
01/09/2018 08:42 PMPosted by GaLaple
All other projectiles will be stopped when they hit a barrier
Except Symmetra's orb. And Orisa's Halt.

Yes, it's intentional. it would be a hell of a lot worse otherwise.
Symmetra's orb also goes through shields.
It's like Symmetra's alt fire. I would say it's to get consistent healing but the damage from the ball doesn't replenish the healing resource (then again the healing ball does using healing resource so it's fair).
01/09/2018 08:42 PMPosted by GaLaple
I'm not a mad person who just got Moira'd as a shield character, I'm wondering how it works. All other projectiles will be stopped when they hit a barrier, but Moira's ball just goes through it. Is it intentional?

Yeah it was intentional. That was a big thing about Moira, the fact her orbs could bypass shields.
It's not a unique ability. Sym's alt fire and Reinhardt's Firestrike also go through. Certain abilities have this "piercing damage" as a way to counter the large amount of barriers in the game. It just adds another layer of complexity to the game.
01/09/2018 08:44 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe

And firestrike, and Hanzo ultimate.
01/09/2018 08:45 PMPosted by HanzoMaker
01/09/2018 08:44 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe

Dragonstrike doesn't really count, since the dragons aren't a projectile.
01/09/2018 08:56 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
01/09/2018 08:45 PMPosted by HanzoMaker

Dragonstrike doesn't really count, since the dragons aren't a projectile.
.....yes they are
<span class="truncated">...</span>Dragonstrike doesn't really count, since the dragons aren't a projectile.
.....yes they are
They go through terrain. They can't be reflected, blocked or deleted. The arrow that spawns them is a projectile, but the dragons are not.
01/09/2018 09:03 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
... .....yes they are
They go through terrain. They can't be reflected, blocked or deleted. The arrow that spawns them is a projectile, but the dragons are not.
Hanzo’s Ultimate is officially described as a linear projectile, and they don’t do damage unless they make contact and have a travel time. Just because they can’t be eaten, deflected, or blocked doesn’t change the fact they are a projectile
Lorewise, I would assume it's because light can't block other light / energy (same reason why Sym's projectile passes, why Firestrike bypasses).
So I assume that in the lore universe, beam based weapons can penetrate shields, but not in the game to avoid balance issues.
01/09/2018 09:06 PMPosted by JakuNonon
Hanzo’s Ultimate is officially described as a linear projectile, and they don’t do damage unless they make contact and have a travel time.
It can be officially described as whatever it likes, but mechanically, the game does not treat it the same way as other projectiles in any way.
01/09/2018 09:11 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
01/09/2018 09:06 PMPosted by JakuNonon
Hanzo’s Ultimate is officially described as a linear projectile, and they don’t do damage unless they make contact and have a travel time.
It can be officially described as whatever it likes, but mechanically, the game does not treat it the same way as other projectiles in any way.
False. There is a handful of Projectiles in the game that cannot be eaten, blocked, or deflected. They are as follows: Translocator, Supercharger, Winston’s Barrier, Biotic Field, And Orisa’s Barrier. I think Symmetra’s Barrier is also on that list. All are projectiles with travel time and time to deploy