Autobanning Needs to be Removed

General Discussion
12/24/2017 03:41 PMPosted by Ceiu
Blizzard should change it such that when a player hits this threshold, their account is, instead, flagged for review by a human (preferably one that is clear on the rules so we don't get another issue like Fuey had to deal with). Only at that point should a ban be applied.
But then how are they supposed to handle a player base that large? Even if 0.01% of one million players gets flagged, that's already 1000 cases, do you think Blizzard can hire enough manpower to go through each case and go through them in a short span of time that it doesn't result in these cases being backlogged and actual players who do deserve it run free?
Even human reviews are sketchy. GMs are powertripping lately and I remember so many cases of other players having to resubmit their cases up to 3 other reviews before a good GM said "Yeah, I don't know why you were banned and I don't know what the others are thinking but I'll fix that for you".
Imagine if you are playing with full team and receive a punishment? It would be very funny.
Autoban is good, your whole team report a thrower and he gets banned, pretty useful
I don't think any major or big company uses manual banning system. Everyone uses automation nowadays, even take YouTube for example, creators have problem with them being demonetized by YouTube bot. Are they going to replace with a human there? No, why? Because it just isn't feasible for a big/huge userbase and it saves money. Everyone here needs to open up their eyes (not to be rude), Blizzard is a business, not a charity. They won't put a manual system because it just isn't possible when you have a huge playerbase or users. Not to mention, its costly.

Can they improve the system? Sure they can but companies will never get rid of Automatize system when there is a way to get it (they will have both but more so on the automation). Instead of asking to get rid of it, ask them to improve it because asking to remove is shooting in the dark.
12/24/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Pakaku
12/24/2017 04:14 PMPosted by Deatheye
I have no idea how Bli$$ard could think an auto-ban system would be a good idea.
Because Blizzard doesn't have time to run a babysitting service

The whole point of automating it is so they can actually focus on the game. If the automatic system isn't working, they improve it, not remove it.

This is one of the most stupid excuses I've seen. Blizzard runs online games with voice and text chat. Nearly every other online game has moderators that review reports and keep the peace by enforcing discipline when needed.

I've played obscure FTP MMOs with better report systems and moderators (by a LONG shot) than this game has. It's not baby sitting. It's part of Blizzards damn job to implement a working system AND to have actual people who fix and maintain it when things go wrong! Stop trying to defend this massive and totally inexcusable mess of a reporting / ban system they have created.

I'm not saying they should go through every single report manually either. They can start by automatically throwing out all reports that don't have the text box filled out explaining the reason for the report. They can go a step further by permanently REMOVING the ability to file reports for people who send in too many blanks (and or false reports). They can flag accounts who send an obscene number of reports within a given time to make sure that these reports are not false (anyone sending 50 + reports a day is sending false reports). Accounts flagged for massive report volume can have their ability to report suspended until verified. Accounts receiving massive numbers of reports (with a filled out text box, what xQc put in his doesn't count) should be flagged for review by a human being BEFORE a ban is given. There are so many things they could do to improve the system that they just aren't.
they need to run something like battleye to deal with cheaters and if someone gets autobanned for something like toxicity they should actually have to look at the person's account
Hey OP. Have you been autobanned?

Edit* I suppose so since he hasn't answered. Maybe stop ruining the game for other players and you won't get banned. Simple as that.
if you don't wanna get autobanned play serious, don't throw and don't be like those people who plays comp for fun, lmao people are triggered and disliking truths
Nerf reporting?
<span class="truncated">...</span>Because Blizzard doesn't have time to run a babysitting service

The whole point of automating it is so they can actually focus on the game. If the automatic system isn't working, they improve it, not remove it.

This is one of the most stupid excuses I've seen. Blizzard runs online games with voice and text chat. Nearly every other online game has moderators that review reports and keep the peace by enforcing discipline when needed.

I've played obscure FTP MMOs with better report systems and moderators (by a LONG shot) than this game has. It's not baby sitting. It's part of Blizzards damn job to implement a working system AND to have actual people who fix and maintain it when things go wrong! Stop trying to defend this massive and totally inexcusable mess of a reporting / ban system they have created.

I'm not saying they should go through every single report manually either. They can start by automatically throwing out all reports that don't have the text box filled out explaining the reason for the report. They can go a step further by permanently REMOVING the ability to file reports for people who send in too many blanks (and or false reports). They can flag accounts who send an obscene number of reports within a given time to make sure that these reports are not false (anyone sending 50 + reports a day is sending false reports). Accounts flagged for massive report volume can have their ability to report suspended until verified. Accounts receiving massive numbers of reports (with a filled out text box, what xQc put in his doesn't count) should be flagged for review by a human being BEFORE a ban is given. There are so many things they could do to improve the system that they just aren't.

I disagree about ignoring reports without "additional details." I often report during a game so I don't forget, especially when there are 3 or more offending players tag team BMing. Report, abusive chat, submit - repeat, repeat. I shouldn't have to type out "they were typing abusive things in chat" or repeat the vulgar things they said for it to be counted against them. If I have to do that, I'll get reported myself for inactivity (and it will look like it's warranted when they review it and see me idle for 20 seconds right before that report).

People arguing about new content vs a person reviewing reports before a ban have no argument. One is done by graphics artists, developers, programmers, project managers, while the other is done by minimum wage customer service type positions. We're not talking about going through reports for millions of players every day. We're talking about making sure there is a clear violation of the TOS for the dozens to maybe hundreds of people that get banned a day. And this would save them some of that labor back by preventing all those people from appealing (where they have to review it anyway). Take some of the high level false bans where they had to appeal 3 times to get their ban reversed. That was Blizzard using 3 times the labor in answering appeals instead of just having a gm review the ban before it ever happened, which would also not have cost them significant negative press.

Maybe people who disagree with the OP could use an analogy:

Imagine if your gym where you had a membership automatically revoked your access to the gym because of semi anonymous, non reviewed complaints against you. Or your phone stopped working in the middle of the month, or your landlord changed your locks due to an automated system based on semi-anonymous, non reviewed complaints. It's absurd to even think about. But every day Blizzard denies providing a service to people who paid for that service without a single human being reviewing whether it's justified or not. Just because the cost or severity is less than these examples doesn't mean it's not also absurd.
Even if they do not remove the autoban,
change how the threshold is calculated.

X amount of reports per game = ban <- Good.
Y amount of reports in total = ban <- Bad.
Devil’s advocate here:

If someone is playing in such a way that they get reported a large amount in a relatively small timeframe, then it doesn’t take deep analysis to realize that the person is probably a problem. And it’s best to address the problem ASAP so that player doesn’t get a chance to ruin even more games while Blizzard is taking the time to review everything. Imagine if they hit the threshold on a Friday night, even though they’re flagged as a trouble maker, they’ll still get to play until Monday at least, assuming they’re at the top of the list.

If auto bans are done mistakenly, then you are capable submitting a support ticket to get it appealed. And as we can see, that’s when they actively look into it, and if your appeal is denied, then you deserved it in the first place.
12/25/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Slyther0829
Devil’s advocate here:

If someone is playing in such a way that they get reported a large amount in a relatively small timeframe, then it doesn’t take deep analysis to realize that the person is probably a problem. And it’s best to address the problem ASAP so that player doesn’t get a chance to ruin even more games while Blizzard is taking the time to review everything. Imagine if they hit the threshold on a Friday night, even though they’re flagged as a trouble maker, they’ll still get to play until Monday at least, assuming they’re at the top of the list.

If auto bans are done mistakenly, then you are capable submitting a support ticket to get it appealed. And as we can see, that’s when they actively look into it, and if your appeal is denied, then you deserved it in the first place.

By the same logic, we should imprison people who are accused of crimes without looking over any evidence, if enough people complain/accuse (see #METOO movement). That's absurd. We already know playing off-meta heroes gets you to that threshold. People trying their best but playing heroes 2 people per game don't agree with should not have to be banned for a day or two while they wait for their appeal to be reviewed. People accused of crimes should not spend the night in jail while they appeal and have the detective confirm they did nothing wrong before letting them go.
12/25/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Superbunny
12/25/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Slyther0829
Devil’s advocate here:

By the same logic, we should imprison people who are accused of crimes without looking over any evidence, if enough people complain/accuse (see #METOO movement). That's absurd. We already know playing off-meta heroes gets you to that threshold. People trying their best but playing heroes 2 people per game don't agree with should not have to be banned for a day or two while they wait for their appeal to be reviewed. People accused of crimes should not spend the night in jail while they appeal and have the detective confirm they did nothing wrong before letting them go.

It’d recommend looking up what “jail” actually is, because it’s pretty much used for the purpose you describe as “absurd.”

It’s main purpose is to lock up criminals based on suspicion from circumstantial evidence while actual hard evidence is gathered. It’s also used to hold them while they wait for an official trial. Once the trial is done, if they’re guilty, that’s when they go to prison or deal with whatever other penalty is given to them.

Compare that to what I’m saying auto bans are used for. They punish you swiftly based on circumstantial evidence (number of reports) and if you find it to be wrong, you can apply for a “trial” by having support look into your case and see if you are indeed guilty or not.

It’s already happening in the real world, has been for years. The only difference is in the game you can’t pay to get on bail.
12/24/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Sauerkraut
Fun fact: They can autoban people based on unverifiable reports, but they refuse to ban people deranking/throwing more than 3000 SR to grief in low bronze, which would be based on database FACTS.

False, they have ban players like that, even some top ones / twitch. I remember it became a big issue when they did it, everyone complain cause at first it seem like blizzard ban the person for using torb, till it came out that he was purposely deranking, then filming him self to go up the ranks quickly.
12/25/2017 07:42 AMPosted by Kyaw
But then how are they supposed to handle a player base that large? Even if 0.01% of one million players gets flagged, that's already 1000 cases, do you think Blizzard can hire enough manpower to go through each case and go through them in a short span of time that it doesn't result in these cases being backlogged and actual players who do deserve it run free?

As it is now, they already have to review them, but after the fact when a player has already been actioned against and has put in a ticket asking why they're banned. In the general case, a review is something they'll have to do anyway, so why not just do it straight away? If they're having trouble keeping up with them, then it's likely their system is either too sensitive, is being abused, or they're severely understaffed.

12/25/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Warthog2554
Hey OP. Have you been autobanned?

I've not. I've never had either of my accounts banned, suspended or silenced; and I intend to keep it that way.

12/25/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Warthog2554
Edit* I suppose so since he hasn't answered. Maybe stop ruining the game for other players and you won't get banned. Simple as that.

This is cute and is the attitude I see repeatedly that led me to write this post. Some players have it in their heads that "my way is the only way to play, and if you don't agree, you're throwing and ruining the game for me."

I've been reported as early as the opening hero selection screen for picking Mei. I don't wall my team in spawn, and I generally know where to be and how to apply her. However, that doesn't stop people from telling me that it's my fault <insert bad thing here> happened.

If our community didn't have such a loud, cancerous part of it that knowingly and willingly abused the report system to get people banned who aren't breaking rules, it wouldn't be an issue at all. However, that's unfortunately not the case.

12/25/2017 10:07 AMPosted by Cakewalk
Even if they do not remove the autoban,
change how the threshold is calculated.

X amount of reports per game = ban <- Good.
Y amount of reports in total = ban <- Bad.

This still allows mob mentality to take over. Especially for the poor souls who solo queue into games with 3+ stacks.
12/25/2017 12:00 PMPosted by TJgalon
False, they have ban players like that, even some top ones / twitch. I remember it became a big issue when they did it, everyone complain cause at first it seem like blizzard ban the person for using torb, till it came out that he was purposely deranking, then filming him self to go up the ranks quickly.

This is somewhat tangential to the topic, but I do want to clarify a few things here as it seems you're confusing a few different situations.

- Stevo (sp) is a well-known Symmetra main that has been banned several times for throwing to do bronze to GM challenges. Most don't argue that he deserved those.

- Xul is a Torb main that kicked off the recent one-trick-a-palooza with a reddit post claiming that they were banned for playing Torb. However, it quickly came out that they would throw in games where someone picked Torb because they were, quote, "a Torb-only" account. Again, deserving of their ban.

- Fuey is another well-known Torb main who got banned in the fury of reporting that came after the initial vague blue-post that implied one-tricking was reportable. Unlike the previous two, Fuey doesn't throw or act !@#$ty to his teammates (or, at least, there's been no evidence of such behavior). His bans were reviewed and upheld once, and then re-reviewed and reversed. He was later banned again due to people mass-reporting him, but that was also reversed.
12/25/2017 12:00 PMPosted by TJgalon
12/24/2017 04:42 PMPosted by Sauerkraut
Fun fact: They can autoban people based on unverifiable reports, but they refuse to ban people deranking/throwing more than 3000 SR to grief in low bronze, which would be based on database FACTS.

Funny, if this process is automated, why did I have a 3500+ player in SR 600 yesterday, with godlike aim? I made a thread about it and the first that happens is Blizzard locking that thread (no name calling), saying "this leads nowhere". What a coincidence.
Is there a way to check if your team mates have reported you for any reason? Suddenly getting a ban for no reason without your knowledge seems very unfair.