Autobanning Needs to be Removed

General Discussion
I think first off, they need to make it so the system can detect one person or a group of people mass reporting. Second, I think a much lower number could trigger a review, and then there could be an additional threshold (for the period where the account has been flagged by the system but is waiting for review) where if it gets enough unique reports (i.e. from different accounts) an autoban could activate until the account is reviewed and given an appropriate punishment.
12/25/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Deevo
Is there a way to check if your team mates have reported you for any reason? Suddenly getting a ban for no reason without your knowledge seems very unfair.

Fairness? In Overwatch?

The whole idea behind this witchhunt is to surprise players, burn them alive and congratulate reporting trolls afterwards.
12/25/2017 02:34 PMPosted by momo
I think first off, they need to make it so the system can detect one person or a group of people mass reporting. Second, I think a much lower number could trigger a review, and then there could be an additional threshold (for the period where the account has been flagged by the system but is waiting for review) where if it gets enough unique reports (i.e. from different accounts) an autoban could activate until the account is reviewed and given an appropriate punishment.

11 remaining players in your match should always count as ONE report. I have seen so many situations, where my own team started picking on a guy that was in fact doing fine and ALL reported him, even the enemy team. In the end he even got PotG and a card and everyone was like - uh oh - sry - report is out and cannot be cancelled.

This whole system is so utterly flawed and abusable.
12/24/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Pakaku
12/24/2017 04:14 PMPosted by Deatheye
I have no idea how Bli$$ard could think an auto-ban system would be a good idea.
Because Blizzard doesn't have time to run a babysitting service

The whole point of automating it is so they can actually focus on the game. If the automatic system isn't working, they improve it, not remove it.

That would make more sense if they didn't have a CS department. None of the devs are taking their own time to look over and ban people for bad behavior, its handled by a separate group of people.

The time the devs spend on this is spent on the reporting system itself. And I agree having it automated is just a bad design cause its way to easily abused.
The game is "buy and play", this is the reason to be automatic :D
All blizzard did was give trolls a weapon
12/24/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Pakaku
I have no idea how Bli$$ard could think an auto-ban system would be a good idea.
Because Blizzard doesn't have time to run a babysitting service

The whole point of automating it is so they can actually focus on the game. If the automatic system isn't working, they improve it, not remove it.

Except there is no way to improve an automated banning system because it's inherently flawed.

No matter how much they try and "improve" it, it will still be automated thus making it easily exploited and abused.
12/25/2017 05:52 AMPosted by Syrona

Small company, not enough funds to hire GMs, so they leave the auto GM on.
Small company lol
Currently blizzard hq is on holidays and at high tiers their is a hacker that is stream sniping and ruining games. Without autoban there would be no hope of this guy being banned till blizzard employees come back from holidays.

I get what you mean about autobahn being and in terms of unfair one trick bans it's bad but we don't know how many hackers have been banned by this because a hacker does not make a post about being banned.

What I'm trying to say is that auto ban is not all bad but that we only get to see the bad of it
12/25/2017 07:35 AMPosted by Feli
So.... Why don't we have a system like "overwatch" in CS:GO in place?

You know.... Tustworthy players judging the reports of others players while rewatching the game. This could be rewarded with EXP.

CS doesn't have crappy heroes that people report you for throwing if you have the audacity of playing a hero that is considered bad.

Imo, most reports come from playing Torbjorn or Mei in rated.
12/25/2017 03:47 PMPosted by Lemoi356
Currently blizzard hq is on holidays and at high tiers their is a hacker that is stream sniping and ruining games. Without autoban there would be no hope of this guy being banned till blizzard employees come back from holidays.

I get what you mean about autobahn being and in terms of unfair one trick bans it's bad but we don't know how many hackers have been banned by this because a hacker does not make a post about being banned.

What I'm trying to say is that auto ban is not all bad but that we only get to see the bad of it

I get that, but I would prefer a system that reduces or eliminates avenues for abuse. Just like the "avoid player" feature, it's something that could be useful in the right environment, but at present, it's just being misused.

momo's idea of having two thresholds -- one for manual review and a second for an auto-ban -- could be a decent compromise if the thresholds are set properly. However, what gives me pause is that we already see evidence of throwers, cheaters and salty individuals [1] somehow accumulating thousands of reports without recourse [2], but players who only play [only] off-meta heroes are getting axed.

Basically, until we stop being !@#$ty to each other or Blizzard invents a way to automatically determine player intent, autobanning isn't something I can see being viable.

[1] xQc is a common target for stream snipers who throw/cheat that reportedly go unpunished for months at a time.

[2] Periodically we see posts about someone *finally* getting banned, whine on the forums about it until they get shutdown by mister Kaplan himself, citing the absurd number of reports they've accumulated.
We need a system like csgo has where the community is in charge of bans
12/27/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Buzzintate
We need a system like csgo has where the community is in charge of bans

Yes, so no one ever plays any defense hero, so they're not banned by the tools in charge.
I must live in the strangest pocket universe of this planet, because none of the things that is described in this post has ever applied to either me, any person I know or even extended aquaintances.

I mean literally, I have played 7k matches overwatch, assuming I have 50% win rate, and I have never come across even one moment, where people either:

-ganged up on one individual for fun and reported that individual
-people were told to switch or be reported regularly (this happened like, maybe 5 times)
-people just seemlingly report other people for kicks

Have I seen trolls&inactive people, or people who just downright say harmful/aggressive/abusive things in chat? God yes, I report people daily for this kind of behaviour, but troll reports? If they happen it's not when I play.

So, assuming I am not the only player that this happenes to, this might not be as big of an issue, as people make it out to be. It's probably a case of affected people screaming louder than those who have a happier time because of this system. I can tell, that I have to report fewer and fewer people by the day and I got the nice "Thank you for reporting" card every day, since the system launched. I always type in text in my reports, I never troll report. If you want the system to work, you need to use it to the best of it's abilities to help and make it as good as it can be.
12/27/2017 12:41 PMPosted by KiwiMayCry
I must live in the strangest pocket universe of this planet, because none of the things that is described in this post has ever applied to either me, any person I know or even extended aquaintances.

This is a dangerous mindset to have with this type of thing. "It's not affecting me, so it can't be that big of a deal." You could just be lucky, but it's more likely that we play at different times, at different ranks on different servers with different people.

I know I'm only speaking of the bad, but it's not like I haven't had games where people just let me play. Hell, there have been days where I go from "worst Mei, uninstall kys" to "holy !@#$, best Mei ever" in the span of a three minute queue with a different group. That's just the nature of such a large player pool.

As far as troll reports, as you put it, they are definitely happening and there are several posts from various players/users on reddit and here where they proclaim things like "I don't care about the rules, I'll report one-tricks anyway." People have posted clips where voice chat is full of "report x, they'll get banned" before the game gets started. Again, I'm not trying to claim this is every game, but it's often enough that players are getting the new warnings and/or banned for it -- and that's not okay even in small numbers.
In theory it's a great idea but in reality with stupid users abusing it, it's horrible.

In short it can work with smart people but to many man children play the game.
12/27/2017 12:41 PMPosted by KiwiMayCry

I mean literally, I have played 7k matches overwatch, assuming I have 50% win rate, and I have never come across even one moment, where people either:

-ganged up on one individual for fun and reported that individual
-people were told to switch or be reported regularly (this happened like, maybe 5 times)
-people just seemlingly report other people for kicks

Have I seen trolls&inactive people, or people who just downright say harmful/aggressive/abusive things in chat? God yes, I report people daily for this kind of behaviour, but troll reports? If they happen it's not when I play.

So, assuming I am not the only player that this happenes to, this might not be as big of an issue, as people make it out to be. It's probably a case of affected people screaming louder than those who have a happier time because of this system. I can tell, that I have to report fewer and fewer people by the day and I got the nice "Thank you for reporting" card every day, since the system launched. I always type in text in my reports, I never troll report. If you want the system to work, you need to use it to the best of it's abilities to help and make it as good as it can be.

It's just you. This is a huge issue.
Yup. Here's an example from three hours ago:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20760657258?page=2#post-29
12/27/2017 02:03 PMPosted by Zenn3k

I literally don't care what they claim as the report rules. You pick a bad hero, you are a bad teammate causing us to lose on purpose, 100%, no more questions.

This is why we can't have nice things.