Getting Queued Up With Grand Masters

General Discussion
I'm a player who has only played less than 10 games in Diamond in all seasons. Whenever I play 4v4 Deathmatch, the enemy team always has Grand Masters. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Keep playing and things should balance out as the system adjusts your deathmatch MMR.

Keep in mind that just because someone's a GM doesn't mean they're amazing at deathmatch. For example, I'm a GM mercy-lucio-rein-winston, but in deathmatch I play heroes like mccree, reaper, and hanzo. I'm bad with these heroes so I get (fairly) matched up with platinum-level players. Maybe the GMs you're up against are like me.
01/04/2018 02:31 PMPosted by steelman
I'm a player who has only played less than 10 games in Diamond in all seasons. Whenever I play 4v4 Deathmatch, the enemy team always has Grand Masters. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

We're looking into cases like this. We had a similar discussion about this yesterday as it can sometimes occur in Quick Play as well.

Long story short, you have a separate matchmaking rating for Competitive Play than you do for other modes so sometimes players playing more or less of those modes can cause occurrences like this. We have some solutions in mind.
01/04/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We're looking into cases like this. We had a similar discussion about this yesterday as it can sometimes occur in Quick Play as well.

Long story short, you have a separate matchmaking rating for Competitive Play than you do for other modes so sometimes players playing more or less of those modes can cause occurrences like this. We have some solutions in mind.

Please give sym mains some hope by acknowledging the fact that she's in a really bad spot and needs some help.

Could you save us from the hell we’re currently in?
I love playing Ana, Lucio and Zen and being asked to go Mercy before the game even starts.
Group of Plat players got matched up in QP with a level 4400 player and a smurf.

It was more comical than anything else. We just had fun and got stomped.

He's now in my friends list and I sent him a message "I'll beat you someday top 500!"
To which he replied "I look forward to it"

matched with better players than you in qp/arcade is the only way to play against them. i like it. i learn things from gms.

Thank you in low plat ive been running into diamond and masters a lot and i even had a top 500 in a lobby of all solo queues in the arcade.

In all honesty, with regards to non-ranked play, I think the matching should be more randomized. I get tired of being matched with the same 2 dozen-ish players in QP (seriously, seeing the same names crop-up regularly in a game with millions of subscribers is kind of crazy).

I know some people don't like to be matched against higher skilled/ranked players but personally, I love the challenge and I appreciate knowing where I stand in regards to my personal skill. I'm absolutely disparaged knowing I'm likely to face bronze and silver players more often than golds (my own rank), plats, and above because players in those ranks (bronze and silver) don't often offer anything to learn from. There are exceptions, yes, where I run into a silver or a gold who's obviously only done placements and could easily climb but those cases are few. Without a challenge, one can only stagnate and cease to improve.

"If you like the competition, play comp." Well, I do but, I prefer to play comp with my friends and avoid solo queue in comp whenever possible. I solo queue QP and other game modes to practice and, as I stated, I'd like to see more challenges in my "practice" without the fear of dumping my SR.
Issue being if I get top 500 at some point and MMR is adjusted to have more balanced games then my que time will be forever for such casual modes.

Tipping the scales slightly more In favour of closer MMR rather than having quick play MMR mirror your competitive rank is the way to go.

Also if you ever add a new comp mode? Please add 1v1.

Best of ten hero's
Each hero best of three
Mirror matches
Arena maps only
Pick and ban hero's

Categories hero's based on sharpshooter.
Ana/Widow/McCree.
Tanks.
Roadhog/DVA/Zarya.

Possibly only more mechanical hero's? No Moira/Symmetra/Mercy? Possibly all hero's if pick and ban can equally divide each class of hero that players can choose.

Just an idea to fill the void outside 6v6 for people desiring a more fleshed out 1v1 experience.
MMR doesn't seem anywhere near accurate. I always keep getting dumped against masters, gm's and recently even top 500 players are not such a rare occurence on quick play or any of the arcade modes. Thing is, I'm just nowhere near that good of a player. I don't play competitive at all and I would consider myself diamond player at best.

So why does the game keep dumping me into games where enemy teams are teeming with GM players and smurfs and my team is plats and golds and myself? Where is the balance in this? Was I not supposed to be put into somewhat balanced matchmaker like advertised? Sure, it is challenging but I'd also like some minimal chance of winning and not have the whole game slanted in roughly 2k sr skill on enemy favour. That doesn't happen in competitive, I'm not sure why it should keep happening on casual games if I just want to relax and have fun and not get stomped by that top 500 genji main. It makes players not want to play QP if the matchmaker is so trash it keeps putting them against opponents far above their skill levels.

Unless it involves "making it impossible for players to game the system for easy wins now that flaws in the system are known" it won't have any effect.
I enjoy playing against players who are way better than me. I get the annoyance and frustration with unbalanced matchmaking in casual game modes but I like being able to interact with people of different skill levels

Granted I know nothing about how you MM system is working but I would assume players that have more Competitive play time than QP/Arcade should then fall back and use their Competitive rank to match them up in QP/Arcade. Also I often see them when they are in a group with people that don't even have a rank. I'm assuming this also has something to do with it as it would suck to put that un-ranked in a QP/Arcade with mostly Masters+ ranks.

I too have got Masters on the other team (and mine at times) in Arcade only to be face rolled over. It's not fun.

I mean the best solution is I would wait for a real match and not something with a mismatch like that
01/04/2018 02:40 PMPosted by LadyGaga

Please give sym mains some hope by acknowledging the fact that she's in a really bad spot and needs some help.

every single time a bluepost appears someone literally quotes the post and begs for some totally different thing to happen

But I like my easy lootboxes : (