New rule for forum bans: also bans you from in game

General Discussion
Hey all, a topic about this was just locked, so I wanted to make a simple PSA post about this, because I was personally shocked to hear: forum bans now seem to also suspend you from the game.

(I’m assuming it was locked for the way it was presented.. I just wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention in a simple way, pls no ban :c)

ATTN: For the sake of not getting this 404’d please be careful about how you discuss this matter. Discussing disciplinary action is against the forum rules, and I want to keep this informative! I understand that can be frustrating but I’d appreciate it to keep this thread open so as many people can see it and know as possible :)

Update: This seems to have been in effect for about four months! :o
(Sheevah)

Update 2: Bans occur at the same time and go for the same duration (both forum and in game, that is!)
(Zorek104)

Update 3: A forum ban (not just suspension) will give you an in game suspension
(CaptKittens)

Update 4: It seems that the first forum suspension you get may not give you an in game suspension. (That is to say your first ever on the account!)
(MagyThe Mage, Dummly)

Update 5: If you’re not getting a forum ban, whether or not you get an in game suspension depends on the severity of the offense. Cheating/exploits will result in bans from both the game and forums, however toxicity will not result in a game suspension
(WyomingMyst)
Yeah, I remember that guy who made a post about the dev team should be fired, during SG 2017. Jeff banned the guy for 30 days and he didn't get play during the SG 2017 event
01/04/2018 10:26 AMPosted by NiceGenji
Yeah, I remember that guy who made a post about the dev team should be fired, during SG 2017. Jeff banned the guy for 30 days and he didn't get play during the SG 2017 event
Interesting! Seems like something handed down from Jeff himself at the time, however based on the other post I believe they’re handing them out along with forum suspensions now, to anyone who gets them. I’m still learning about this though, if anyone has experiences recently with this I can compile info in the main post if people want that
Popcorn. Mei's Ice Popcorn here! Get it before it gets 404'd or locked!
I actually went into a detailed post in the other thread to apologize for jumping the OP's case, but the thread was locked before I could get it in. I'll keep this short and sweet.

Some quick tryhard internet research seems to indicate this has been a thing for 4 months or more. I was unequivocally wrong in the other thread with my assertions, and I apologize to the old OP... even though I have a feeling he/she might be on vacation and unable to rub this in my face.
01/04/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Arena25
Popcorn. Mei's Ice Popcorn here! Get it before it gets 404'd or locked!
Yeahh it is a risk posting this. I was hoping if I keep it for the sake of spreading new info it will stay up. I think it’s fair for everyone to know if there’s a new punishment! I just hope mods don’t disagree with me but I took the risk making this post, so
Good.

If you're a jerk on the forums, they have no reason to assume you're not a jerk in game. Killing two birds with one stone by making the punishment worse without lengthening it.
Good.

I don’t feel sorry for people who troll and just feed even more toxcity when it’s already prevalent and they get banned in game too.
Yeah i get ban 7 days for posting something here.

100% true. Get ban on forum and game. Bans were activated on the same time and have the same duration.

:p
01/04/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Dragon
Good.

I don’t feel sorry for people who troll and just feed even more toxcity when it’s already prevalent and they get banned in game too.

I was not trolling. Just trying to get the attention of blizzard and get a answer about the genji post wih 1200 likes.

On my opinion, if they want less toxicity then dont balance the game each 3 months and dont have favorite heros. Plz
01/04/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Sheevah
I actually went into a detailed post in the other thread to apologize for jumping the OP's case, but the thread was locked before I could get it in. I'll keep this short and sweet.

Some quick tryhard internet research seems to indicate this has been a thing for 4 months or more. I was unequivocally wrong in the other thread with my assertions, and I apologize to the old OP... even though I have a feeling he/she might be on vacation and unable to rub this in my face.

Big ups for the admission. +10
01/04/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Dragon
Good.

I was not trolling. Just trying to get the attention of blizzard and get a answer about the genji post wih 1200 likes.
I can only speak for myself when I say I’ve said things that seemed innocent enough, but got me a ban. You only need to have one toxic comment to get that ban and the perception of what’s toxic is out of our own hands here
(Edit: formatting on mobile is hard :c)
They're actually taking a stand against toxicity?!

NANI!?
i mean....given the uh.....track record with the moderation on this forum.....( junkrat's literal surname being a censored word....and then when people tried to point that out they were warned for "discussing moderation decisions" when like...guys we were trying to tell you a character's literal honest-to-god family name was being censored as a bad word)....this probably isn't gonna be a good change.

i mean, sure, in theory i'd support it, but there have been some really questionable decisions that i've personally witnessed (....... Jamison "Junkrat" !@#$es ) that make me really apprehensive about posting literally anything on here anymore if it carries a risk of in-game disciplinary action.

Edit: oh dear lord it's still censored you can't make this stuff up. this reminds me of the person i saw get banned for manually typing out "[exclamation point][at sign][pound sign][dollar sign][percentage symbol]" and the mod said it was inappropriate language.
Like on some level i understand not discussing moderation decisions cause like some of them are messy and deeply personal and involved and i totally support not being able to discuss stuff like "my friend was banned for [wall of very tedious text]" but cmon at least let us discuss the really funny ones that don't even make sense.
01/04/2018 10:27 AMPosted by momo
01/04/2018 10:26 AMPosted by NiceGenji
Interesting! Seems like something handed down from Jeff himself at the time, however based on the other post I believe they’re handing them out along with forum suspensions now, to anyone who gets them. I’m still learning about this though, if anyone has experiences recently with this I can compile info in the main post if people want that

This happened to me recently right before Christmas. It was a permanent forum ban not just a suspension which resulted in a game suspension. It was a "3 strikes and you're out" thing. I would say things like "you dumb idiot" or "blah blah" not terribly "offensive" things but overall rude. I will admit and have since changed my tune.

[Edited for language - Moderator]
I swear on me mum, I was banned for saying Bli$$ard on the forums.
01/04/2018 10:37 AMPosted by EdgiestName
I swear on me mum, I was banned for saying Bli$$ard on the forums.

So you say it again.

BOI!
Lie, Ive gotten banned for a day for doing a post and i could play the game fine
little tips:
if u got ban without real reason -
don't buy any game from this company anymore
never

if they will get less money
then more polite they will
01/04/2018 10:39 AMPosted by MagyTheMage
Lie, Ive gotten banned for a day for doing a post and i could play the game fine
Ah, this is interesting. One day seems to be a first offense sort of punishment... maybe they don’t suspend you in game for a first offense?