Why isn't voice chat officially mandatory in competitive?

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
I don't join voice because of toxicdbags, oversharers, music listeners, and people that don't have a clue how to adjust/talk into a mic.

Also pretty sure you can't force people to listen to a mic, or have one... really easy to cheat that system.
@OP:

Tell you what, buy everyone who plays Overwatch a mic, along with a no-questions-asked replacement guarantee.

Then I'll listen to that suggestion.
I think its more important that Blizzard provide an actually clear stance on one-tricking and/or refusing to swap when your entire team is begging you, as well as other "soft-throw" dynamics, before we would even think about making comms mandatory. When there is no clear stance on what I've described above, forcing players to join comms would basically be inviting a new level of toxicity into the game.

That being said, I really don't share this sentiment of comms being so consistently horrible as people describe, but maybe that's just me. And I'm saying this as someone who climbed from gold to diamond last season (so I've seen what its like in low rank). From my experience people tend to get "toxic" from moment to moment, especially when their is a failure to capitalize (for example, when your team ends up losing a fight with man-advantage). When I just talk calmly to my team and try to get morale back it up it usually works. Usually something like "thats ok just go again" or "thats alright this is super winnable" is enough to suffice. Its only probably around 10% of my games that reach a truly toxic and un-salvageable state in comms/morale, but callouts are still being made and I still win a fair amount of those games.

Tbh, toxic comms are only really something I saw a lot of in plat. Plat is a huge rank, and very much a mixed bag. There are tons of one tricks and/or players who simply refuse to switch when they're not being effective, AND there are a ton of players who are meta-slaves (ironically often having many misconceptions about the meta) who will basically start the match off by aggressively asking X player to switch off Widowmaker as an examlpe (even if the map is say, attack temple of anubis where widow really shines). If the widow doesn't switch and the game is not a complete steamroll in favor of the attacking team, these kinds of people will switch to a toxic-by-default mindset and blame every little thing that goes wrong on the Widow. Don't get me wrong, if the Widow is not performing I'll ask her to switch, but if she fits the needs of the team and she's doing well I'm not going to. These kind of players just see that they have something that they consider off-meta, and excuse all of their own mistakes because of this.
I think in higher ranks people generally have more faith because of having better mechanics on average (and additionally, TRULY terrible picks like Sym are much less common), while in lower ranks people don't care as much about comp, or simply don't follow the meta enough to be super opinionated.
01/04/2018 06:56 PMPosted by ShadowLord64

I'd rather not play than play tanks and supports though, I stopped playing them in S4 for a reason. That's also when I left voice chat by default. Might try it again a bit this season but so far it's been a rough one already, more tempted to mute text chat again than to test voice chat again.

Plus the whole false reporting of one tricks thing from last season just made most comms worse.
if you'd rather not play than play tanks or supports than you might want to consider the possibility that you are the problem? Like, this is a team game, and if you downright won't conform to the needs of your team then you shouldn't be playing competitive.

There's plenty of tank and support mains out there though, if the matchmaking system had a way to factor that in no one would have to bite the bullet and play something they hate. That'd probably fix a good chunk of the toxicity issues.

Easier to focus on my prior experiences and strengths from other FPS games and try to improve at what I'm good at anyway. I tried all the roles or so over the first year, didn't really climb until I just focused on DPS.
I'm generally quite persuasive in getting people to join voice.

I understand that some people would rather avoid it. They have their reasons.

I'd prefer everyone on voice as I like to shot call in a non toxic and encouraging fashion, but I'll take what I can get.
The OP needs to be banned for trolling and toxicity.

The reason why voice chat is not mandatory is because every single troll, hater, racist, pervert, bully and any player that is tilted/demanding/knows best will get on and destroy almost all of the regular player base. Overwatch is one of the most toxic games on the planet ALREADY. Let's not add fire to the flames.

Also, a number of parents prefer that their children/teenagers are not exposed to adult topics and hate speech and such. Overwatch chat is loaded with such and parents would prefer the option to disable voice chat to avoid exposure to perverts and pedos and freaks.
Because people use voice activation for their mics and then you have to hear them eating dinner, listening to loud music, or yelling at their kids to shut up. You then mute them to hear the people moaning about how everyone else is playing wrong and they are the great savior come to carry everyone to a win but we just get in their way. So you mute that guy then have to listen to the one sided argument of the guy cursing out the guy you just muted. So you mute him and have to listen to another person cursing out the guy that is cursing out the guy you muted. You mute that person and now are left with a chick that is saying how gross it is that the first guy is still eating dinner and his mic is picking it up. So you mute everyone and then wonder why you even join voice chat to begin with. The end.
01/04/2018 06:42 PMPosted by ShadowLord64
01/04/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Shyrakeso
With the state this game is currently in, I completely understand why people turn off voice chat by default. Why should you wait to be screamed at, and THEN mute. Take control of your life, mute by default! I report on average 1 player every 2 games. THAT is the true state of the game. And that is why we have to be able to refrain from being in chat.
if you really despise communication, you can stop playing competitive (lol jk that was rude sorry). Besides, if someone screams at you, take that as an opportunity to release that pent up anger and scream back.

Yeah this will sure help. A screaming match in a comp. Best way to win. 10/10
01/04/2018 05:23 PMPosted by ShadowLord64
Like, it's already unofficially mandatory, why don't they go all the way and remove the 1% who don't join the chat and ruin it for the rest of us?

I know a lot of you probably think it isn't a big deal, but in the low ranks some games are decided by whether or not everyone is in voicechat. Since we lack fine skills, every bit of coordination helps. When someone can't hear our callouts, it can royally screw us.

A lot of you are probably also thinking "some people don't have mics and it wouldn't be fair to keep them from playing comp" well I'm not talking about mics I'm talking about being able to hear the people that do have them. I don't give a flying hoot whether or not you have a mic as long as you can hear the people that do.

So, as a reminder of my original question, why don't they just make the ability to join voice chat mandatory and save the rest of us some trouble?

EDIT: Remember if someone doesn't join because they tend to get flamed, they can mute individual or individuals responsible.

The fact that OP's post has so many dislikes is truly disheartening. Communication is incredibly important when it comes to playing as a team in ranked mode. I don't even understand how so many people can disagree to this idea.

Communication is a potent force that can focus a team's damage tactically against the opposition. Otherwise, most of the team's energy is burnt like gunpowder in the open air. Healers die because no one knows they're being attacked. Flanking Reapers blossom teams out of existence because no one called out their location.

Ranked play, at least to me, is a game mode where one should use all the tools at their disposal to do the best they can. And if some players aren't interested in using these tools, perhaps Quickplay is a better game mode for them.
I'd be all for silence if they gave us a solo Q. If they forced team groups then quite honestly you'd never run in to this. Heaven forbid people play "competitively". It's those gold weapon rewards I swear lol
01/04/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Rockerx
As far as female gamers being harassed, I play with female gamers on a daily basis and they aren't harassed anymore than anyone else that plays overwatch. The difference is when they are harassed their gender is brought up where a male gamer would just be harassed in a more general way. Obvious no harassment is okay, but the solution is to ban the people doing it and not handicap the team just to avoid the chance of it happening.

Just because you don't see something happening, doesn't mean it isn't happening. As a solo queuing female gamer, the amount of viritol and bile sent my way is ridiculous on occasion. And no, I don't hear guys being told that they can't tank/dps/heal because they're a guy, or that they can't play games at all because they're a guy, or to put their girlfriend on because they're obviously just sneaking a quick play on the shiny game.

For the record, I have voice chat on. I don't talk, and nine times out of ten nothing good comes out of what is on anyway from what I see. No-one talks and then everyone leaves. If someone is toxic, sure I can mute them and move on, but that doesn't make the rest of the match any better knowing I'm grouped with such a jerk.

Making voice chat mandatory isn't going to fix things for the lower ranked players gold and below.
01/05/2018 02:45 AMPosted by MoonCrisis
01/04/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Rockerx
As far as female gamers being harassed, I play with female gamers on a daily basis and they aren't harassed anymore than anyone else that plays overwatch. The difference is when they are harassed their gender is brought up where a male gamer would just be harassed in a more general way. Obvious no harassment is okay, but the solution is to ban the people doing it and not handicap the team just to avoid the chance of it happening.

For the record, I have voice chat on. I don't talk, and nine times out of ten nothing good comes out of what is on anyway from what I see. No-one talks and then everyone leaves. If someone is toxic, sure I can mute them and move on, but that doesn't make the rest of the match any better knowing I'm grouped with such a jerk.

Making voice chat mandatory isn't going to fix things for the lower ranked players gold and below.

You say you don't talk by default, which is disappointing. Have you tried leading by example by being the one who calls out? Even if it's just you and every one else listens?

Also, if you mute someone who is toxic, it may be better to just forget they exist instead of dwell on their past negativity. You've muted them, so they should no longer have influence on your well-being. Jerks exist in the world, and that's unfortunate. But if you let every jerk in the world control your outlook for the future, it's probably not going to be a bright one :)
01/05/2018 02:55 AMPosted by k9raider

You say you don't talk by default, which is disappointing. Have you tried leading by example by being the one who calls out? Even if it's just you and every one else listens?

Also, if you mute someone who is toxic, it may be better to just forget they exist instead of dwell on their past negativity. You've muted them, so they should no longer have influence on your well-being. Jerks exist in the world, and that's unfortunate. But if you let every jerk in the world control your outlook for the future, it's probably not going to be a bright one :)

ftr I like these suggestions, but when I do throw it back in their faces it just tends to become more energy than I'm willing to spend on them. They don't shut up and apologise so it becomes a drain. That and I can't guarantee I won't roast them so hard I get a ban when I open my mouth ♪

And you are right that it is technically letting them control things, but after spending fifty hours a week in a very male dominated work environment, I just want to play my games. :3 Really I was more commenting on the other person who seemed to be saying it doesn't happen.
So many opinions from people who have never spent 200 hours or more struggling up and down in bronze. In higher levels I imagine voice chat is not used to crucify the innocent and uninformed.
Sexism. I am a girl & I get criticism before the game even starts for playing DPS. Telling me to go healer and that girls should not play DPS. Men are trash (Not all but most cause I've encountered plenty to know.)
01/05/2018 03:51 AMPosted by AirplaneM
Sexism. I am a girl & I get criticism before the game even starts for playing DPS. Telling me to go healer and that girls should not play DPS. Men are trash (Not all but most cause I've encountered plenty to know.)

If you live your life based on internet voices telling you what to do, I've got bad news for you. At the very least you don't have to respond, just listen for call outs. Using your gender as an excuse... it's 2018! You're better than that.
01/04/2018 06:18 PMPosted by ShadowLord64
Boosting cuz I want more opinions
90% of the people that I meet through this game, I don't want to know.

I mean, if you forced people into voice chat, those that wouldn't have joined it anyways would just mute everyone. What is the point of forcing them to do that? No thanks.

And, of course, if you took away the mute option...well, that would just be ridiculous.

You want to force me to mute everyone on my team every round? No thanks.

I'm not sure he's calling for players to be forced into muting other players, but to require that players in ranked mode join team chat.

And it's fine if you say you don't want to know 90% of the players on Overwatch. But "getting to know" anyone while playing ranked is optional. You don't have to ask what their day job is, or what their cat's name is. You can limit the scope of your voice chat to match-related stuff like "the genji is on me" and "please kill the genji" and "zomg I'm about to solo this genji"

After the game ends you part ways, knowing as much about that 90% as you did before the game started.

:)
01/05/2018 04:27 AMPosted by k9raider
And it's fine if you say you don't want to know 90% of the players on Overwatch. But "getting to know" anyone while playing ranked is optional. You don't have to ask what their day job is, or what their cat's name is. You can limit the scope of your voice chat to match-related stuff like "the genji is on me" and "please kill the genji" and "zomg I'm about to solo this genji"
It'd be nice if that was what chat consisted of. Then maybe I'd use it. But unfortunately, it's not.

And I don't mean that I'm getting to know them, so much as, after they say two words I already don't like them. When they tell my teammate to "kys" for playing hanzo...I mean, I don't need that in my life.

01/05/2018 04:27 AMPosted by k9raider
After the game ends you part ways, knowing as much about that 90% as you did before the game started.
Sadly, I've never found this to be the case.

On a more positive note, I will say that I have met some people worth grouping with. And for personality, not skill.
01/05/2018 04:14 AMPosted by Applesoup

I mean, if you forced people into voice chat, those that wouldn't have joined it anyways would just mute everyone. What is the point of forcing them to do that? No thanks.

And, of course, if you took away the mute option...well, that would just be ridiculous.
who said I thing about taking away the mute option? The existence of the mute button has been my main counter argument throughout this entire thread.

Anyway if they had to join and THEN mute everyone it would give them a chance to see if anyone is toxic instead of just assuming everyone is. Also in my experience, if 3-4 members of the team are productively using voice chat, people don't get as toxic.

Side note: after reading this thread for a while it seems like bronze is less toxic than the other ranks? Like, why?