Support mains: How do you like Moira?

General Discussion
She plays like lucio except instead of a boop and a beat drop, she has a orb and special beam cannon.

You can solo heal with her but like lucio, requires a team to be coordinated to do so.

She is best used with zen, zarya, symerta and sombra.

Protips:

don't use her orb against genji or tracer
Don't chase tracer or genji
Try to use shift for sniping low hp targets, more so then escapes.

- cheers
Love her. New main. It’s obvious Blizzard has the potential to make support heroes that are extremely fun to play and a huge asset to the team (Ana before all her changes and now Moira) so I don’t understand why they can’t continue to make several new releases Supports and Tanks.
she's very nice.
she has a more aggressive playstyle, but that's fine. She can heal more than mercy too.

too bad your friendly moira is going after kills instead of, you know, actually healing her team.
12/30/2017 09:40 AMPosted by zesstea
Moira's been out for a little bit now, coming up on two months, and I'm curious how much she's changed things up for support mains.

When she first came out, I liked her a lot, but I felt like her orbs were a little too "random" for my taste (I say random, but I just had a hard time predicting exactly how it would bounce). Not Moira's fault, just not exactly my play style. I tried practicing her in the PTR and QP a lot, but I didn't feel confident enough to use her in competitive, so I just stuck to my main, Mercy, for most of it. Now that it's the off season, I'm playing more Moira to practice and...I'm liking her even more and more. Whenever I'm solo queuing as Mercy and get a team who does absolutely nothing to stop flankers from getting me, I switch to Moira and boom, anti-flanker while still able to pump out comparable healing to Mercy (I'm not nearly as good at healing with Moira yet, but I think I'll get there).

The only hesitation is I can't decide whether I prefer Moira or Zenyatta. I love Zenyatta, and I think his discord orb is extremely valuable, but I don't have *amazing* aim, so I feel like Moira's damage orb + beam is more effective against flankers than a discord orb and hopefully landing enough shots/pulling off a charged burst.

What does everyone else think? Has it changed up the heroes you use for support?
dont say the rugged name of ugh it pains me to say this horride name.... "moria"
12/30/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Abeille
Because the orbs bounce off surfaces, one single orb can destroy turrets in many different places, and one single orb has a shorter cooldown than one single turret charge (8 vs. 10 seconds). All without putting Moira at risk of getting hit by the turrets' beams, since she can throw them from afar.

While it certainly does punish more the Symmetras that make turret nests, Symmetras that spread their turrets out are not safe from Moira's orbs either.

I guess that makes sense but is it truly a problem people are experiencing where you get a god-like bounce on orbs to destroy spread out turrets? I can see getting one or two, maybe three but to bounce and hit them all seems really unlikely. Also the timer thing seems really irrelevant as a Moira who is consistently spamming damage orbs is a huge hindrance to her team.

I understand your points, but it just seems to me like people are up in arms over it for not that big an issue.
Shes fun but when my teammates uses her not so much lel...
I like her, and will play her if I'm getting flanked/targeted with no help from the team. I also pick her if my team is ignoring the Pharah. Dmg is weak as hell, but I can still take out Pharah if I manage to evade well enough.
12/30/2017 11:18 AMPosted by Šøūł
dont say the rugged name of ugh it pains me to say this horride name.... "moria"

Yes I understand how that name brings bad memories to the Dwarves of the Middle Earth, but try to keep its glorious past in mind instead.
12/30/2017 11:24 AMPosted by Overjoyed

I guess that makes sense but is it truly a problem people are experiencing where you get a god-like bounce on orbs to destroy spread out turrets? I can see getting one or two, maybe three but to bounce and hit them all seems really unlikely. Also the timer thing seems really irrelevant as a Moira who is consistently spamming damage orbs is a huge hindrance to her team.

I understand your points, but it just seems to me like people are up in arms over it for not that big an issue.

(sorry I got the cooldown numbers wrong, I play mostly Mystery Heroes and often get numbers confused)
How many she can get depends a lot on the map, and it mostly made Symmetra a worse choice in maps she already wasn't very strong in, so she became even more niche. In maps she was usually very strong, like Volskaya and Eichenwalde first points, her life got harder since her strength was mostly in holding the choke. It is a nerf to a character that is already considered a troll pick (see people being banned due to numerous reports of throwing for playing Symmetra). Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal if Symmetra didn't have lots of counters, which she does, or if she wasn't an F tier character that is seen as a troll pick, which she is. I actually play so much Mystery Heroes because it is a place where I can play Symmetra without people getting mad at me, since I can't control which character I get to play on MH :(
I love her. Making Genjis taste their poison is brilliant.

Also her healing orb is amazing and underrated.
I love her, ana used to be my number 2 after mercy but now its Moira. The more I play her the more I like her. And I don't think she is "OP". I like her because it feels like I can get value out of her without relying on my team.

Whenever I play zen or ana, without support from my team I just get so tilted sometimes, because friendly mccree/soldiers/junks or even the 2nd support just don't give a **** and I am left to rely on landing perfect sleeps and headshots. With moira it's just easier, I can deal with threats more often because I don't have to be perfect, or I can just simply run away. She is just a good solo que support.
She's a lot of fun but I feel like people don't understand how to play her, and when not to play her.

For instance, balancing damage and healing. Too many times do i see a Moira trying to solo a squishy when her tanks are below half health in a middle of a team fight. That's not to say you cant do damage during a fight, but the main rhythm of her should be, do poke damage outside of fights and charge your meter, then when the fight initiates, fade into your back lines and go into pretty much FULL HEAL MODE.

Additionally here are times that you are being hard countered and should probably switch to a different healer.

1. a really good d.v.a player that eats all your orbs consistently.
2. (likely the most common reason), you like moira very very much, but your team has dive heroes. Moira is unable to keep up with tracer and genji, and while the orb is advertised to do so, its not usually the best choice as it likely hits a corner and goes in the opposite direction, or the genji main ignores it and just continues to spam x. Moira is strongest in tight groups

Mis-use of coalescence.
1. NOT HEALING WITH IT. *cough* moira is a support, so please try to do so.
2. not using it during tight team fights, if everyone is spread out, you wont get the high impact of using it on multiple people.
3. Holding on to it. Moira and Doomfist Ultimates charge incredibly fast if using your abilities on groups of people, so don't hold onto it for a long time, but when you do use it, don't be dumb.

Now if you generally follow those guidelines, I think Moira is a great hero and definitely OP AF. She likely does need a small balance nerf with her secondary fire. It does too much damage for how very reliable it is, the range, and self healing. It is fairly hard for sustained damage heroes to kill her in a 1v1. She gets too much bang for her buck, a lot of impact for not a lot of skill.

Some are going to argue that her skill is in her decision making, similar to Winston players. Now yes, if you are wildly out of position then yes, you are going to die. But the thing is, Winston has hardly any armor as well as a HUGE hitbox. But if you look at Moira, she has multiple paths for self-healing, small hitbox, incredible mobility to get out of sticky situations, and she can even ult (which she gets fairly fast), to save herself as her movement speed is increased, her hitbox slightly changes, and she self-heals.

So I believe that as players begin to use her more correctly in situations she thrives in, this required nerf is going to become more and more obvious.

But yeah, I like her.
12/30/2017 11:11 AMPosted by VMajoris
Love her. New main. It’s obvious Blizzard has the potential to make support heroes that are extremely fun to play and a huge asset to the team (Ana before all her changes and now Moira) so I don’t understand why they can’t continue to make several new releases Supports and Tanks.

Because Healers and Tanks being added to the game LARGELY impacts the flow of the game, and as the game directors have said before. It takes a long time for the game to adjust to the correct balance (versus perceived balanced). So they can't release tanks and healers too frequently, Though I would love a slightly smaller Hitbox Tank that has some means of dealing with this Spam Meta, as well as please nerf junk into the ground.
12/30/2017 11:44 AMPosted by AwZ
She's a lot of fun but I feel like people don't understand how to play her, and when not to play her.

For instance, balancing damage and healing. Too many times do i see a Moira trying to solo a squishy when her tanks are below half health in a middle of a team fight. That's not to say you cant do damage during a fight, but the main rhythm of her should be, do poke damage outside of fights and charge your meter, then when the fight initiates, fade into your back lines and go into pretty much FULL HEAL MODE.

Additionally here are times that you are being hard countered and should probably switch to a different healer.

1. a really good d.v.a player that eats all your orbs consistently.
2. (likely the most common reason), you like moira very very much, but your team has dive heroes. Moira is unable to keep up with tracer and genji, and while the orb is advertised to do so, its not usually the best choice as it likely hits a corner and goes in the opposite direction, or the genji main ignores it and just continues to spam x. Moira is strongest in tight groups

Mis-use of coalescence.
1. NOT HEALING WITH IT. *cough* moira is a support, so please try to do so.
2. not using it during tight team fights, if everyone is spread out, you wont get the high impact of using it on multiple people.
3. Holding on to it. Moira and Doomfist Ultimates charge incredibly fast if using your abilities on groups of people, so don't hold onto it for a long time, but when you do use it, don't be dumb.

Now if you generally follow those guidelines, I think Moira is a great hero and definitely OP AF. She likely does need a small balance nerf with her secondary fire. It does too much damage for how very reliable it is, the range, and self healing. It is fairly hard for sustained damage heroes to kill her in a 1v1. She gets too much bang for her buck, a lot of impact for not a lot of skill.

Some are going to argue that her skill is in her decision making, similar to Winston players. Now yes, if you are wildly out of position then yes, you are going to die. But the thing is, Winston has hardly any armor as well as a HUGE hitbox. But if you look at Moira, she has multiple paths for self-healing, small hitbox, incredible mobility to get out of sticky situations, and she can even ult (which she gets fairly fast), to save herself as her movement speed is increased, her hitbox slightly changes, and she self-heals.

So I believe that as players begin to use her more correctly in situations she thrives in, this required nerf is going to become more and more obvious.

But yeah, I like her.

I actually disagree with a lot of this. You are right in that she is a situational support. You cannot pick her all the time. If a Dva is wrecking you, switch. If a mccree is wrecking you, switch. If you are playing on a map with a lot of verticallity, switch.

But, she is not a healbot. It's not just "poking, recharging and then spaming heal". She is really good at finishing off targets, and if I see an opportunity to kill something, I will take it over healing someone, maybe ill throw in a healing orb, or spray them for like 1s, but I wont just waste all my spray on them. Because killing the enemy in this game is simply that powerful. If the friendly guy lives, ill heal him back up, if he doesn't well it was a trade.

Moira's "utility" lies in her dmg. If you wanted a simple healbot, it's better to take mercy (although you should always have a mercy atm anyway) or Ana because they both provide good healing and things outside healing. Mercy has res and really good ult, Ana has sleep/nade. What does moira have outside healing, nothing except her dmg. So you got to kill with her. 1v1 as moira isn't all that efficient because all the dps are better than her but she is really good at finishing off targets or bursting someone down to make them back off. Her ult also represents this, it's a good initiation ult, it keeps your team alive and it's really good at catching the enemy supports behind barriers. I usually kill a mercy with it and it's totally worth more than healing your team because !@#$ mercy. It can of course be a good defensive ult but it basically counters no ults. Just sustains your team through a normal team fight longer.

In my opinion if a moira ends up with gold healing and no silver elims by the end of the match, she didn't do her job well at all. Everytime I end up with a lot of gold healing I don't think "Amg I did so well!" No I think, "oh I've done 1/6 self healing and I did no dmg, damn I was trash that round"
I main Sombra as DPS but I'm called support anyways (Thanks Freedo)
Shes really strong, yet still has obvious weaknesses, but I feel like Jeff and the team might be trying to snuff out mercy as a character.
I love that flankers can't duel her, and actually have to work with their team to kill her. I especially enjoy drinking Genjis with her.
At first I was like
''eeeeehhhh, a Talon healer, that's cool but.. kinda similar to Zenyatta + Symmetra kits merged together? Also she looks... creepy.. no thank you, that's no hero for me.''

But after I've been trying her out time from time, I really like her, she's absolutely my favorite healer! (2nd is Ana and 3rd is Mercy but my absolute number 1 is Symmetra <3) AND she can defend herself too!
12/30/2017 09:47 AMPosted by Wraithdagger
Tank/Support main here.

I really like her. I think she has the potential to be really good.

I think her primary heal is a little weak. Sure, if it were overtuned it'd be extremely OP, but it can run out too easily in prolonged engagements. That makes her difficult to sustain heals compared to Mercy or Ana.

Orbs can be good, albeit unpredictable at times. I think damage orb shouldn't damage turrets (Torb, Sym), that just doesn't really make sense and is an unnecessary counter (Sym).

it should absolutely damage turrets, !@#$ cancer teams.
She has pretty low impact at high level. Mercy+Zen is too good, and Mercy+Lucio is the next best option, but zenyatta is just so good, his discord makes him always a good pick especially with high damage outputting comps.
I played around 20 hours of moira and climbed 400SR, but when I peaked there was much more of a need for Zens.
great heals great damage
Grand.
I like all supports, but she easily wins my favorite, all my favorite mechanics into one hero.
+the fact that we finally got a support who can fight flankers, I’m enjoying t-bagging genjis too much currently :P
I’ve took her also to comp, 69% winrate and climbed to mid-diamond with her (my highest is 83% winrate).
I’m now farming comp points to get her gold gun, it just looks so good with her glam skins.