If I said anything like what XQC did I'd be fired.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 11 Next
From what I hear his fans are mostly young kids, so it doesn't surprise me they defend him
01/19/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Jublis
01/19/2018 08:10 AMPosted by NJghost222
By that logic then it is ok for an OWL player to imply that being gay is a bad thing
xQc didn't imply 'being gay is a bad thing'. Not even remotely. That's a wild extrapolation of what he actually did say, almost to the point of it actually being libellous.

If what he said is “trash talk” which means he is using words intended to insult. The phrase itself is meant to be used negatively and then he said the person (who is gay) would probabaly like that.

Which means the gay person likes to do this thing he meant as a bad thing.

It is good on the ither player who didn’t take it to heart. Most gay people I know hear these kinds of insults regularly and play them off similarly because it isn’t worth giving into the hate.

But if asked if they would prefer to hear these things and learn to not let it bother them or to not be spoken to in that manner, which do you think they prefer (I know as I’ve asked). And while I only have been able to speak with a few onbthis subject on a personal level they all felt that others would agree. One said, “Athe very least, it would be nice to not have to learn to deal wth hatred because I’m gay.”

Cursing and using negative words is why many pro sports leagues don’t out microphones where you can hear the team reguguarly. They want to keep the audio as clean as possible so families can keep watching.

Kids can easily watch and OWL stream and end up hearing talk like this. I know I wouldn’t want my elementary age kids listening to someone say something like that.

And in my opinion, words matter. Hiding things behind it is “just trash talk” is similar to one one person talked about sexually assaulting women and people started calling it “locker room talk”.

No. Words matter and using insults and saying negative things is immature. I would prefer to say things which build others up, not tear them down. You can even correct others behavior without having to be mean about it.
01/19/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Point
Mike Tyson, the professional boxer, had unconsensual sex with a woman and bit a dude's ear off
Tyson was also prisoned for 6 years for the first thing, and had to cough up $3.000.000 & nearly banned for life over the incident for the second ...

So, you might want to reconsider your argument, becasue instead of defending XQC ... by your own example, you're advocating him being banned from OW for life.
Sovereign is right on this one. Anyone in a non-labour position would have been fired.
01/19/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Qube
Mike Tyson, the professional boxer, had unconsensual sex with a woman and bit a dude's ear off
Tyson was also prisoned for 6 years for the first thing, and had to cough up $3.000.000 & nearly banned for life over the incident for the second ...

So, you might want to reconsider your argument, becasue instead of defending XQC ... by your own example, you're advocating him being banned from OW for life.

Lmfao at using Tyson as an example. Maybe he can use OJ Simpson or Aaron Hernandez next.
Man, the social warriors are pretty jealous of XqC and his 20 000 donation money each month
01/19/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Qube

To be fair, Holyfield's ear looked delicious. He probably shouldn't have taken that second bite though.
01/19/2018 09:21 AMPosted by BT160508
Man, the social warriors are pretty jealous of XqC and his 20 000 donation money each month
It is a good thing he's got that income, if it's true and not hyperbole, that is. After all, if he keeps running his mouth like this he's going to be back to relying on that as his sole source of income.
this is one of the reason "esports" is not a sport. Players have to act like professionals on and off the court/field, but he keeps opening his mouth because he thinks he's edgy or funny. At this point blizzard either needs to suspend him and/or kick him out of OWL for being toxic. I'm hoping spitfire dump all over Dallas so he can finally keep his mouth shut. I mean he did trash talk and clown Spitfire for losing to LA . I won't be surprised when spitfire 4-0 them.
Sovereign the hero of mercy mains, sjws and triggered bold letters is back at it again
01/19/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Thee
this is one of the reason "esports" is not a sport. Players have to act like professionals on and off the court/field, but he keeps opening his mouth because he thinks he's edgy or funny. At this point blizzard either needs to suspend him and/or kick him out of OWL for being toxic. I'm hoping spitfire dump all over Dallas so he can finally keep his mouth shut. I mean he did trash talk and clown Spitfire for losing to LA . I won't be surprised when spitfire 4-0 them.

If you ever heard what was said on the field of an NFL game during the game you might rethink this position because any given play would make any trash talk you hear during esport events seem tame
01/19/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Devils
01/19/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Thee

If you ever heard what was said on the field of an NFL game during the game you might rethink this position because any given play would make any trash talk you hear during esport events seem tame
The difference, of course, is that the player isn't broadcasting that across the internet. Here is a representative of the Dallas Fuel doing just that, and it isn't the first time. It isn't even the first time this week.
01/19/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Sovereign
Doesn't matter how many years of experience in software engineering I have, or literally anything else.

If I said even just what XQC said yesterday on camera, on youtube, on twitch, on facebook or any social media I'd literally risk immediate termination as well as losing all of my references and letters of recommendation.

If someone claims to be a professional, they must actually act the part. For most of us who have a professional role (teacher, pharmacist, dentist, physician, lawyer, etc, etc, etc, etc, the list is huge) both our life on the job and outside of the job can actually have a direct and absolutely devastating impact on our career.

But yeah, if I ever told someone who was gay to do something clearly expicitly meant as malicious.... yeah, no. I'd get professionally gutted like Mercy has been with her rework whenever that got out.

Fully agree, working professionals do not act like this. Perhaps xqc doesn't fully appreciate or recognise his privileged position. Its sad but there will be no blowback on him for these comments from his core viewer base as from what I have seen, they are pretty much all young and impressionable so might not recognise that this is wrong.

No reprimands against xqc from Blizzard will once again show xqc's followers that this behaviour is allowed thus perpetuating the toxicity in this game.
This is why "esports" is a joke. These are just man children who have never grown up.
01/19/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Krowten
This is why "esports" is a joke. These are just man children who have never grown up.
There is truth to that. If esports is ever going to really achieve the mainstream success they are courting they're going to have to start setting and enforcing codes of conduct like professional sports do.
01/19/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Jublis
There is little equivalence between a teacher, dentist, etc and somebody who plays video games for a living.

I would agree with this. The comparison could be made to lots of professionals in the entertainment industry that can say all sorts of stuff that wouldn't necessarily be allowed in my office job.

But consider the kind of message Blizzard wants to send. You can watch some trash TV and watch people insult the crap out of each other, and the producers would probably fire them if they didn't instigate drama for no reason. But is that what Blizzard/Overwatch wants to be?

Jeff Kaplan has said before that there is no place for toxicity in Overwatch. So why do they continue to let toxic players represent their company? It's not like there's a shortage of talented players in the world, you could easily kick out all the toxic ones and replace them with respectful professionals in a heartbeat.
Think of the last few times you've cursed, for any reason at all, such as being offended at another person directly imitating and insulting you for example, and someone recorded and kept a snippet of just that, spread it around as many places as possible and demanded that you be removed from your job because they recorded you saying a bad thing at home.

No one is perfect all of the time, but most people don't have dedicated people hunting for any opportunity to try and start a movement to ruin your life over it.

Baselessly blanket insulting "all of his viewers" or "all gamers" ect is just as bad as what many people here are pretending to be so upset over.

It's just blood in the water, they don't really care, they just smell blood and want to see if they can help get a kill to make them feel a bit better about themselves... except for the person being targeted, it doesn't end when they get that kill and lose interest, that's 80% of his current life and dedication being shredded to entertain a mob on the internet for a small flash of time.
Yeah, keep going with "pros" like that and sooner or later OWL will be perceived as a kindergarten.
Need to take into consideration you're both in much different fields. He's in the entertainment industry, much different world than our normal corporate culture.

Also, if the only insult was" go suck a %##*!@#%" I don't see why he should be fired. Very common insult tbh and we've heard and seen worse from other people and they still work (footballers, etc).